Reviews: pawpaw

Location: England, Gender: Female, Age: 27

Backpackers on Dundas

Toronto, Canada

Location only good thing. In the girls dorm the blinds don't close so no privacy from main road outside. Tramps keeping warm in the stairwell and no locks on the dorm doors. The toilets stank the whole time of urine from disgusting unwashed rugs on the floor. The kitchen was crawling with flies and bugs and I am covered in bites all over my hands and back. I had no idea who was a guest and who was staff to complain to. I usually ignore comments like these as over the top, but trust me on this!!

Narita Airport Hostel

Narita Airport, Japan

Everything you need from a stay, and the owner is THE BEST, honestly. Picked up and dropped off at airport, slept well, kitchen with cheap beer for sale, living room, everything you want to just crash and relax pre-/post-flight.

Perfect hostel, safe, clean, excellent facilities, great kitchen. Interesting travellers to talk to, but private enough in dorms to have alone time, helpful staff with everything you want to borrow/rent at reception (adaptors/headphones/bikes/etc.) for free or very reasonable prices. Not to close to everything, but Kyoto is quite spread out anyway so not a huge issue. GO TO THE OKONOMIYAKI RESTAURANT ROUND THE CORNER.

J-Hoppers Hida Takayama Guesthouse

Hida Takayama, Japan

Brilliant, I love J-Hoppers. The hostel was ideal, clean, friendly, etc. Wi-fi was a bit of a nightmare, but the town is too beautiful to need to go online! Great location for wandering the streets and exploring, couldn't be better. Perfect.

Thank you for your lovely comment. We were glad you enjoyed yourself here and we are more than happy to help everyone anytime. Hope you come back .Arigatogozaimashita.

1166 Backpackers

Nagano, Japan

Best hostel I have ever been to in terms of being welcomed and involved in local life and with the other guests. The hostess is fantastic, although it is very much a guest house I think as there are times you can not be in the communal space or use the showers and the dorm is very much a dorm with curtains that do not entirely separate you from others. This was no problem for me and it was well located and the help and welcome you receive is second to none. Free sake sat around the table, yes!

1166 Backpackers

Nagano, Japan

Booked two separate one nights, so see other review by myself - PERFECT HOST, great hostel.

Nikko Park Lodge

Nikko, Japan

Wonderful place, matched the magic of the mountains with effortless comfort and charm. Food great, I loved my time here. Dorm room so lovely, bunk-beds with cute duvets and big windows. Safe, helpful hosts, and just such great value for an excellent time.

The guest house dorm had simple beds separated by curtains, which I didn't realise when booking a mixed room and was a bit intimated by being right next to and able to see my large male neighbour who grunted all night. The facilities were a bit less high-spec than other hostels, although mostly clean and ok. Near to train station, and not a bad place to stay at all for the price, but felt lacking in privacy and whilst not unfriendly, was not the warmest welcome I received.

Time Peace Apartment

Sapporo, Japan

Great hostel, only thing not ideal was the cramped and dark bedroom. Sounds worse than it is when I wrote that, as the beds are big and comfortable, although there are a lot in one room and the ceiling light does not illuminate the bottom bunks at all so bring a torch!!! Great hosts, really helpful, nice breakfast and good atmosphere. Only one ladies shower and toilet, so make sure you get in early!

Capsule Inn Kinshichou

Tokyo, Japan

Perfect! Quiet, safe and excellently helpful and friendly staff. The capsule was roomier than I thought and such an experience. The ladies floor was safe and out of the way, had a cute smoking balcony and the bathroom (in the basement) was a mini onsen, with the hottest bath I have ever had the pleasure to nearly faint in. The subway is really just a 200m walk which takes you all over Tokyo. I loved it so much I want to be there now. As a solo traveller and a girl I would recommend this hostel.

Euro Hostel Newcastle

Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Stayed in a female dorm which was well serviced by two toilets and two separate showers, all very clean. The room was extremely hot, however, and had no ventilation whatsoever that I could see. This also meant that with no windows the room was pitch black when lights went out, really pitch black. Which is an experience groping in the dark falling all over anonymous room-mates' things. No lockers but under bed storage which could be padlocked. Great bar next door and well stocked, if plain, breky

Rock N Bowl Hostel

Bristol, England

This is a hostel-person's hostel. Rooms tiny and neat, bathrooms would scare your parents, but also clean and lots of them too. Downstairs (The Lanes) makes it feel like an experience, and the staff are very friendly, if a little confused about what is going on (in a very charming, Bristolian way of course). Don't drive here, whatever you do, parking in Bristol generally is a nightmare, although there is a (£20 p/day) car park opposite.

• 11th Jul 2012

Mediterranean Youth Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

Staff were so friendly and helpful - a fantastic reception! Room was cleaned every day, and was just what we needed as a base to get to all of the sights. We did not need any public transport and walked everywhere from the hostel. There was a lift and nothing was really lacking that you need when staying somewhere! Great! Also a really useful and big kitchen that we didn't need to use, but will keep in mind for next time! Thanks so much for a lovely time.

Elisabeth Guesthouse

Vienna, Austria

A really interesting guesthouse with a charming host couple who were really helpful and happy to provide any information. Really near to underground services, but not really walking distance from anywhere of tourist merit. Cheap and cheerful, some of the rooms have showers in the kitchen - which some of our group enjoyed, some didn\'t.

Hostal de l'Alguer

Alghero, Italy

This hostel is a set of outbuildings that comprise of different rooms off a corridor that share a bathroom. Each side have lockable doors but only with a catch and there are no lockers. Saying this the hostel is so out the way in it\'s own bit of scrub-land that you would doubt anyone would be passing by and decide to rob the place. Having breakfast is a bonus, croissant or bread and jam and some water goes down well. Does the trick for the price, I would recommend it on a budget or with a car