Location England, Gender Male, Age 39

Islas 8817 Guesthouse, Manila, Philippines
26th Mar 2016

The staff were pleasant and helpful and the accommodation was convenient for the airport. I felt it was good value for money. The following information on Hostelworld was not correct for my room -“All rooms are air-conditioned ... cable TVs in all rooms” – but for the price that is OK. The heat was the main problem for me. I had a fan in my room but my room got very hot, especially as there was no window which could be opened. The accommodation was nice and quiet.

Kipps Hostel Canterbury, Canterbury, England
27th Dec 2015

Except for it being a shared room it had the feel of a hotel - two pillows, nice bed linen, cushion and a toffee on the bed. A reading light would have been useful. Also only one socket near my bed worked, and that was already being used. An attractive building in a pleasant part of town and conveniently located. It would be useful if the kitchen was open longer hours to make hot drinks - maybe the kettle could be put in the lounge. The lounge itself is cosy with comfortable sofas.

Hostel Vedran, Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina
17th Dec 2015

I enjoyed my stay here. It was a nice, tastefully decorated, cosy room. TV channels included English and German. It was useful having access to the kitchen with tea and coffee provided. Location is brilliant opposite the bus station and near the mall and town centre. The only negative was that my room wasn't cleaned nor was the bin emptied during my 3-day stay; I had to empty the bin myself. Overall I would be happy to stay here again and recommend it to others. Excellent value accommodation.

Hostel Art Sarajevo, Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina
16th Dec 2015

I enjoyed the stay itself; the problems were on arrival and departure. I arrived earlier than expected and had to phone to be let in; no number or warning of this were displayed on the door. I couldn’t lock my door from the inside. Payment in euros was refused. When this was converted to marks the amount requested was incorrect. I had a knock on my door at 9am telling me the winter check-out time was 9am despite it saying 10am on my booking and 10am on the room info sheet.

25th Aug 2015

I had some problems with the wifi. Apart from that I had a good stay and recommend this hostel. I had stayed at this hostel before and would be happy to stay here again.

Thank you so much! We would love to have you here again!

10th Jul 2015

Another pleasant stay at this excellent hostel. Nice and quiet at night when I had a good night's sleep. The staff were helpful, for example by going on Google Maps to help me to find a launderette in the evening after the one next door had closed. The breakfast was simple but tasty and very reasonable for the price. I was able to leave my rucksack in a secure luggage room after an early arrival. The locker in the dorm was useful too. I would be happy to stay here again and recommend to others.

Thanks so much for giving us such an amazing feedback! Really good to see you had a blast with us! We loved having you around and we hope to see you again!

Nostalgia Court, Kyrenia, Cyprus
5th Apr 2015

Good value and perfect location. The staff were pleasant, although couldn’t find my reservation when I arrived. Reliable, fast wifi connection. The breakfast was fine except for the coffee which was too weak. The walls were very thin. The pool is only in use in the summer. Security is an issue: my room was left unlocked by maintenance one day, and my key was sometimes left unattended on the front desk. Overall I had a comfortable stay and would stay here again. City maps can only be borrowed.

Guesthouse Velania, Pristina, Kosovo
2nd Jan 2015

Excellent value - nice cosy room with a number of TV channels in English, French and German. Wi-Fi connection crashed a few times. Staff very welcoming and friendly. The shower water was tepid - I think because the boiler switch was turned off by people meaning to switch off the light. The guesthouse is very hard to find - largely because it seems to be marked in the wrong place on the Google Map. Nice Turkish coffee and tea provided. I will certainly aim to stay here if I visit Pristina again.

Sun Apartments Podgorica, Podgorica, Montenegro
31st Dec 2014

Excellent-value accommodation. The owner who speaks some Russian is very friendly and helpful and gave me free refreshments. Lovely, warm, cosy room, and a great place to see in the New Year! TV channels included Russian and English-language channels. The city centre is an hour away on foot. The wifi crashed quite a lot. I would definitely stay here again.

Dover Backpackers, Dover, England
28th Dec 2014

I enjoyed my stay - the staff were friendly and helpful, there was free Wi-Fi, tea and coffee and breakfast (which I was able to have before a 5am departure), its location is convenient and I had the dorm to myself. There are only two things I didn't like - the shower water was not quite hot enough, and there was no heating in the dorm despite the freezing temperature that night. However, for the price I would recommend it and I would stay again.

26th Dec 2014

I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it. I especially liked breakfast being available from 6am and there were lots of signs up about keeping noise down around the dorms and respecting other guests. Despite what it said on the website - although breakfast overall was nice - there was no fruit. Wifi wasn't working for me - and I spoke to other guests who had the same problem - but I pointed this out to staff who were responsive and helpful. Great location both for transport and sights.

City Hostel, Skopje, Macedonia
21st Dec 2014

The time it takes to walk there from the stations is more like 20 minutes. Despite what it says on the website, breakfast wasn't provided. However, I had a private room for the price of a bed, so overall I was happy. The staff are friendly and helpful and it has a cosy living room.

Breza, Prilep, Macedonia
17th Dec 2014

One of the best-value hotels I have ever stayed in, this is a cosy place with friendly and helpful staff. It was also well-heated and quiet with a nice hot shower. You get a slightly better rate if you pay in denars rather than euros. The directions from the bus station on the website seem to be referring to the older bus station nearer the town centre, whereas my bus from Skopje dropped me at the newer bus station near the train station from where it is a 15-20 minute walk.

Golpata Bed & Breakfast, Dhaka, Bangladesh
4th Oct 2014

Very pleasant and helpful staff who even walked with me to the bus stop and helped me get the right bus for a day trip. Location is convenient for the airport but a long way from the centre of town; there are buses. Great value. Quiet, restful place with places to sit and relax. Satellite TV in English and French. Breakfast tasty. Bus stop to the town centre within walking distance. If you go walking bring a map as it can be hard to find again and most street signs are in Bengali alphabet only.

Clink261, London, England
7th Jul 2014

Very impressive service - I was able to have breakfast the day I arrived before check-in and offered use of all the facilities. Very convenient for public transport. Beds have barriers giving a bit more privacy - and the reading lights are handy. I was very happy there and would definitely recommend it.

Hello! Thanks a lot for this nice words. We also hope to see you here again.

Interhouse Bishkek, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
29th Mar 2014

One of the best hostels I have stayed in. Combines excellent customer service with local charm. Cosy, quiet atmosphere with wooden floorboards and rugs. Helpful staff give advice on local trips and public transport. Flexibility over check-in and breakfast time. Location isn’t brilliant, but the city centre is walkable (just) and minibuses are frequent and cheap. The only thing lacking is more detailed online information about reaching the hostel by public transport from the airport.

Tomang Residence, Jakarta, Indonesia
23rd Feb 2014

Among the best-value accommodation I've ever stayed in. Very well-run with staff who go out of their way to help, Brand-new, smart and comfortable. Distance from the city centre is an issue; I found the buses to be unreliable. Breakfast is what you would expect for the price. The ground floor rooms are potentially noisy as they open to the communal area. If you want the room cleaned or bin emptied you will need to ask. Nice terrace at the back.

Royal Hostel Skopje, Skopje, Macedonia
31st Dec 2013

Breakfast available even for early departures. Nice and warm. A 30 minute walk from the nearest airport bus stop and walkable from the town centre. Walking/bus directions from the main bus/train station are needed - I got very lost trying to find the hostel despite the help of some local people and the map on Hostelworld. Blanket and area under the bed were dusty; more sheets would be nice. My shower was tepid once. Somebody smoked in the breakfast room.

Hostel Banja Luka, Banja Luka, Bosnia And Herzegovina
6.3
28th Dec 2013

Good points: Value for money. Friendly, helpful owner. However: Instructions needed on where to find the owner on arrival. Noisy – loud music from the bar until the early hours. A thick layer of dust, and a few bits of rubbish, under the bed. Kitchen sink full of dirty dishes. Only one blanket per bed is inadequate in winter. Alarming that in a hostel without reception the front door was left open all night.

Ravnice Youth Hostel, Zagreb, Croatia
27th Dec 2013

Great value for money. Friendly and helpful staff. Not close to town centre but tram is very easy. Free tea and coffee from 8-10am. Great area for a walking and jogging – near Maksimir Park. Wifi didn’t work on my floor.

The Overstay, Bangkok, Thailand
12th Oct 2013

Good points: Friendly and helpful staff. Good price. Clean inside. Nice and quiet on the upper floors. However: Décor and atmosphere won’t suit everybody. Window ledge full of rubbish. Bedroom door too small for doorway. Bathroom door on my floor didn’t close (although there was another bathroom on the floor below). Bus information from airport incorrect (according to bus station staff). Even with map I found hostel difficult to find. Hostel a bus ride away from the main tourist sights.

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea, London, England
28th Aug 2013

This was my second stay here, and I was again very happy with my stay. Cleanliness was good at all times. There were extra towels in the shower rooms. There was an atmosphere of friendliness and consideration for others. I liked the idea of a film and popcorn after the bar closes. Great to have the free soft drinks. Allow 3 hours to use the washing machine and dryer. Very friendly and helpful staff. I had a good night's sleep. Great location by the Thames.

HI - Lisbon Centre, Lisbon, Portugal
6.6
26th Aug 2013

The hostel is walkable both from Sete Rios bus station (half an hour) and the city centre. To clarify two points on Hostelworld: there is no kitchen available to guests, although the staff will boil water for hot drinks. Also my dorm was not ready at the promised check-in time of 2pm; I had to vacate it for half an hour at 2.30pm. The locker in my dorm was too small for my rucksack. The toilets/shower room was probably the most disgusting of any hostel I have ever been to.

21st Jul 2013

Staff were friendly and efficient on arrival. Walking distance from Brussels North train station. Wifi connection is quite slow and crashed - I had to go to McDonalds (5 minutes' walk). Spacious dorm with dim reading light. Comfortable lounge. Would recommend hostel. Biggest disappointment was that the dorm was sweltering.

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea, London, England
30th Jun 2013

It is a great place with probably the best hostel breakfast I've ever had, friendly staff and a pleasant location next to the Thames and within walking distance of Big Ben. I had a good night's sleep.The only room for improvement for me was the lack of unlimited free wifi and the impossibility of sitting on a lower bunk.

Mountain Peace Guest House, Kathmandu, Nepal
23rd Feb 2013

Times of the power cuts are posted at reception, but I found these by chance. The bathroom was basic. Maybe instructions for hot showers could be given at check-in. The pillow was hard. I needed 2 duvets (provided). Power cuts may cause delays to restaurant orders. I was given a welcome drink and leaving drink and the guesthouse arranged a taxi from and to the airport. TV channels included BBC, CNN and TV5. For the price it was superb and the friendly staff speak excellent English.

City Hostel, Skopje, Macedonia
2nd Jan 2013

It’s within easy walking distance of the town centre. Try to print a detailed map showing the street names before going to the hostel for the first time. To walk from the hostel to the bus/train station I found that it took 20-25 minutes (walking quite fast with luggage). It wasn’t very quiet in my room due to a TV just outside, although it was switched off just before 11pm. Nice and warm. Very friendly, helpful staff; they left out breakfast the evening before for an early departure.

Art Hotel Varna, Varna, Bulgaria
30th Dec 2012

A delightful hotel; great value. It was quiet with friendly staff and a central location very near the main square. The train station is at the end of the same street as the hotel (downhill from the hotel). TV channels include CNN; it was fiddly getting the TV to work and it took a while for the heating to take effect. There was no sign of the tea/coffee-making facilities. Better and more detailed directions are needed: there was no sign of a fountain (switched off presumably in winter).

Sun Rise Hotel, Amman, Jordan
5.7
21st Dec 2012

Good points: location and price. Problems: 1) despite booking 3 months in advance, I was required to change rooms for the second night of a two night stay 2) on the second night I was woken at 1am by the sound of drilling, followed by a knock on the door by the management wanting to install a TV wall bracket 3) I was promised a welcome drink which never materialised 4) I had to ask repeatedly for extra blankets 5) a wifi password was promised but never given 6) overall shoddy management

Memory Guesthouse JB, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
7.1
27th Oct 2012

I chose this accommodation over other single rooms of a similar price as the single room was advertised as ensuite - it was not ensuite! Also there was no hot water for the shower. I have given a poor mark for security because the front door could be unlocked by anyone by putting their hand through a hole in the door - and because there was no lock on the gate. What I liked most was that there was a very friendly atmosphere and there were guests of all ages and backgrounds.

27th Aug 2012

This was the second time I stayed here and I would stay again. It was quieter than the last time I stayed here and even in a large dorm you can sleep quite well. The staff are friendly and efficient. There is a nice relaxed atmosphere at breakfast with the TV on and you don't feel rushed. I would recommend this hostel.

YHA Stratford upon Avon, Stratford-upon-Avon, England
6.9
13th Aug 2012

The hostel is in a beautiful building and grounds and the dorm was probably the best I've ever stayed in - spacious and airy. The only problem with the dorm was that the reading light didn't work. The location is obviously a drawback especially if you are reliant on public transport. I had a very warm welcome, but the member of staff on duty the following morning said nothing to me when I checked out. The information on the website about breakfast is unclear; it is NOT included.

The Crown Hotel & Bar, Glastonbury, England
8th Aug 2012

It was so hot and stuffy in the dorm it was very difficult to sleep and so for some of the night I sat in the kitchen/lounge. The wifi connection crashes after one hour. I was a bit surprised to be told on arrival there was nowhere to leave my luggage (I had a rucksack I didn't need in the dorm where there was limited space). The staff were very friendly and you can't beat the location.

University of Bath, Bath, England
7th Aug 2012

First the positives - clean, good value accommodation with good facilities (except for the lack of wifi). For such delightful accommodation it is incredibly badly administered. The directions on the Hostelworld site complete with a link to a baffling array of maps are next to useless. All that's needed is a simple map showing the bus and walking route from the city centre to the accommodation office. Staff seemed unaware their own entry on Hostelworld stated breakfast was included.

4th Aug 2012

Considering the fact I was sharing with 29 other people I slept remarkably well. Most people were considerate of each other and there were signs up reminding people to keep the noise down. The breakfast was basic but tasty and it was atmospheric having it in the pub watching the Olympics on TV. The staff were efficient and friendly and I immediately felt welcome; when I arrived the staff had already filled out a guest card with my name on it.

Plymouth University, Plymouth, England
2nd Jul 2012

Apart from the noisy firedoors I had a great stay. Thank you. Following my feedback about my previous stay I was informed there is some flexibility in check-in times.

Plymouth University, Plymouth, England
26th Jun 2012

I would definitely recommend staying here. On the down side you can't check in until 2pm, the doors are noisy, and the plug hole of the shower was blocked when I was there. On the other hand my room was comfortable, it's great to be able to use the gym, and tea and coffee were provided in the kitchen. I liked it so much I've already made another booking.

Astor Victoria, London, England
24th Jun 2012

Convenient location for Victoria. Note that padlocks have to be large to fit the hostel lockers. My suitcase padlocks didn't. I had a reasonable night's sleep. The breakfast was basic but tasty with great filter coffee. Staff very pleasant.

Mansour Hotel, Amman, Jordan
20th Jun 2012

Customer service and location are the best things about this hostel. The manager is among the the best of any I have met. Also there's a fast wifi connection, and the breakfast is tasty. On the down side my room was very stuffy despite the fan, and the lock on the toilet/shower door doesn't work. I would recommend this place if only to experience first class customer service in great part of a great city at a great price!

Old City Sololaki Hostel, Tbilisi, Georgia
24th Mar 2012

This is a good choice - the main advantages are price, location, tranquillity (except for the noise from the TV) and a friendly, hospitable and helpful owner. With the electric heater my room was nice and warm. However the mention of internet access is out-of-date – there is no internet – and even having a single room you may sense a lack of privacy. There need to be clearer directions to the hostel; even having printed the directions and correct map I had to ask 3 people. Note that the location shown o

Tash-inn, Belgrade, Serbia
4th Jan 2012

A wonderful place. Excellent helpful staff. A great location next to the park. Nice to have the tea- and coffee-making facilities. I think two things could be improved: the heating needs to be turned up at night or extra bedding provided; and the shower needs to be sorted out (it was tepid). Having said that I would definitely recommend it.

City Centre Hostel, Zagreb, Croatia
1st Jan 2012

First the good points : the room was nice and warm (in fact I had to turn the heating off sometimes), the hostel was quiet at night, it was good to have wi-fi and coffee. But despite what the website stated there was no tea. Things were a little awkward on arrival, as someone was in the room I had booked so had to be moved - the staff didn't seem to be expecting me despite my booking! Make sure if you leave your luggage for a late departure you leave extra time - I was locked out for 15 minutes.

Dear Guest, thank you for your comment. You arrived on new years day and we all had been partying the night before till the early morning. So this is the reason for the in organised state that you found us in. Also all the shops were closed on the day so we couldn't buy tea on that day, sorry about that and for our disorganisation on your arrival.

Ardgarry Holiday House, Inverness, Scotland
29th Dec 2011

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Excellent breakfast. It was a nice relaxing place and I had a good night's sleep. The room was small but cosy.

Inverness Tourist Hostel, Inverness, Scotland
28th Dec 2011

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. I had a good, comfortable and peaceful night's sleep. There is a lovely cosy lounge/TV room tastefully decorated - there were Christmas trees and lights. The place is spotless and the staff are friendly and take cleaning seriously. I'd definitely recommend it.

It really makes our day and all the hard work worthwhile when we get a review as good as this from a traveller who has stayed at lots of hostels and knows what they�re talking about. Thanks again for the recommendation and take care.

Hostel Glide, Yerevan, Armenia
6th Nov 2011

This hostel was excellent value, in a good location near the metro, clean and with very friendly service. However showers were a degree or two too cold. Breakfast was tasty but early risers or those with an early flight might find it too late (8.30am onwards). Also don’t expect breakfast to be served precisely at the agreed time; it wasn’t served until at least 8.45am. The directions to the hostel were inadequate and ambiguous.Contrary to information on hostelworld there is no swimming pool.

Dear Barnaby! Thank you for your comment, we appreciate it, and i would like to write a comment on that. Usually in our hostel the breakfast is served from 8am till 11.30am. For early risers we can prepare breakfast on their demand at any time and there was misunderstanding with the swimming pool, we'll correct this information. Thank you.

City Suites, Istanbul, Turkey
21st Aug 2011

Very good value and very helpful staff. You may need to bring your own padlock if you want to lock your room - although you will be given a key for the front door. Double check with Google Maps as when I booked the map on the hostelworld site showed the hostel in the wrong place.

Hotel Parigi, Rimini, Italy
7.3
24th Jun 2011

First the positive points: great location, tasty breakfast, and the staff were quick to deal with noisy guests. However there are serious issues here with customer relations. When I arrived my attempt to check in was constantly interrupted by phone calls. There were other staff around but it seemed the receptionist had to do everything himself. At breakfast I was moved from a table I had chosen apparently because it was laid for 2 rather than 1. I would hesitate to stay here again.

Elysia Hostel, Sofia, Bulgaria
21st Jun 2011

This is a delightful place run by a very helpful lady. The rooms are quiet, the hostel is full of character and the breakfasts are good and freshly prepared. I recommend this hostel with enthusiasm.

Star Hotel Plovdiv, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
19th Jun 2011

Excellent location and helpful staff. On the other hand there was no web access in the lobby despite the information given on Hostelworld.

Moon Lodge, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
7.0
26th Mar 2011

I would recommend this hostel if you are on a tight budget. It is cheap, the staff are very pleasant and there is a nice roof terrace. However, despite the fan, I found staying in my bedroom for long periods of time difficult given the lack of natural light and lack of fresh air. The toilet and shower were not that pleasant and there was not a very pleasant smell in the corridor leading to them.

Erenler Hotel, Istanbul, Turkey
1st Jan 2011

I can't fault this place - excellent value and staff go out of their way to help and check everything is OK. Allow extra time if taking the shuttle bus to the airport. Mine came 20 minutes late. This was not the fault of the hotel - in fact they phoned the driver twice to find out where he was.

Thanx for your Comment. i hope see you again Mehmet Zeytin

Guesthouse Fotinov, Burgas, Bulgaria
28th Dec 2010

I spent a lot of time trying to get the heating to work. The staff were helpful but may I suggest instructions are left in the rooms? Also a welcome drink was only provided when I asked for it, and then I had to make it myself! Tea and coffee making facilities were only provided after I asked. Otherwise I was very happy wıth my stay.

St George Hotel, London, England
22nd Aug 2010

The location near Paddington Station was very convenient. I suppose you get what you pay for but I was have the following comments: 1) the room was tiny - there was barely room to unpack. 2) the room was extremely hot even with the temperature 20 degrees outside. I think it would be unbearable in there during higher temperatures. 3) as I had an early departure I was offered the breakfast the evening before (which I appreciated). However, by 23:30 it hadn't been brought so I had to go and ask.

Hostel Ljubicica, Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina
12th Jul 2010

I booked with the hostel who put me with a local couple. It was excellent - from the free pick-up from the bus station, to the free Turkish coffee given on arrival, to the free internet access (lots of computers so no queues!) to the friendliness and efficiency of the couple and the reception staff. Enthusiastically recommended!

Hostel Lozanni, Athens, Greece
20th Sep 2009

A good value hostel conveniently located both for the town centre and the train station. Staff are helpful. Hot showers may require some forward planning as you may need to ask for the boiler to be switched on. My only complaint is about other guests smoking next to the computers - and about this apparently being allowed by the management who seemed to have provided an ashtray. I for one don\'t want to get lung cancer from passive smoking.

Dear Barnaby, Many thanks for your kind comments and positive rating. We appreciate your constructive suggestion about smoking by the computers - and I will discuss this with the owner I assure you to ensure a better solutrion to the smoking problem. James.

Downtown Belgrade Hostel, Belgrade, Serbia
3rd Aug 2009

This hostel compares very favourably with alternative accommodation in Belgrade at a similar price. Its location couldn\'t be better. The staff are polite and helpful and the hostel has a homely feel. However it gets stuffy in the summer and the internet connection for my email didn\'t work.

Downtown Hostel Novi Sad, Novi Sad, Serbia
9.0
31st Jul 2009

I\'d recommend this hostel. The location couldn\'t be better, and the staff will willingly help you with information about the town. The downside is that it gets stuffy in the hostel during the summer.

Hostel New Morning, Belgrade, Serbia
16th Jul 2009

Very friendly and helpful staff, and good value. However the ensuite bathroom door wouldn\'t shut, and there was no toilet paper.

Hotel Sydney, Timisoara, Romania
9.3
15th Jul 2009

Very friendly and helpful staff, comfortable, quiet rooms and great value. The distance from the town centre is a drawback, however. The directions for public transport given when I booked were too vague to be useful.

Hostel Lozanni, Athens, Greece
26th Jun 2009

Excellent service, great value, friendly staff, thoroughly recommended!

Balco Harmony Hostel, Sliema, Malta
3rd Jan 2009

I stayed here during the winter holiday; I was the only guest and the owners came to open it specially for me. Excellent value, great service, friendly staff - enthusiastically recommended!

Balco Harmony Hostel, Sliema, Malta
27th Dec 2008

Excellent value, very efficient and friendly staff. Highly recommended!

Students & Travellers Inn, Athens, Greece
6.7
21st Aug 2008

There are apparently no lockers and only one guest per room is given a key (which is useless for solo travellers).

SunnyLakeHostel, Ohrid, Macedonia
9.0
20th Jul 2008

The staff are excellent - attentive and polite. The beds are very comfortable and you get a free ice-cream when you arrive, as well as free tea and coffee during your stay. There is a very pleasant terrace and security is first class - you have 2 lockers each large enough to fit a large rucksack. The manager does his best to enforce a quiet time between 11pm and 8am, but this is unfortunately ignored by some of the more inconsiderate guests.

House Kokolo, Hvar, Croatia
9th Jul 2008

A delightful place to stay. It`s an uphill walk from the town centre, but when I arrived/left I was offered a lift. The accommodation is quiet and spotlessly clean. Highly recommended!

Chillout Hostel Cafe, Istanbul, Turkey
9th Jul 2007

I enjoyed my stay except: It was noisy both nights until 4am (this wasn't entirely the fault of people staying at the hostel - much of the noise came from outside on the street). The toilet cubical was tiny, smelly and not cleaned enough.