Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 37

Golpata Bed & Breakfast

Dhaka, Bangladesh

Very pleasant and helpful staff who even walked with me to the bus stop and helped me get the right bus for a day trip. Location is convenient for the airport but a long way from the centre of town; there are buses. Great value. Quiet, restful place with places to sit and relax. Satellite TV in English and French. Breakfast tasty. Bus stop to the town centre within walking distance. If you go walking bring a map as it can be hard to find again and most street signs are in Bengali alphabet only.

• 4th Oct 2014

Clink261

Very impressive service - I was able to have breakfast the day I arrived before check-in and offered use of all the facilities. Very convenient for public transport. Beds have barriers giving a bit more privacy - and the reading lights are handy. I was very happy there and would definitely recommend it.

• 7th Jul 2014
  • Globetrotter

Hello! Thanks a lot for this nice words. We also hope to see you here again.

Interhouse Bishkek

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

One of the best hostels I have stayed in. Combines excellent customer service with local charm. Cosy, quiet atmosphere with wooden floorboards and rugs. Helpful staff give advice on local trips and public transport. Flexibility over check-in and breakfast time. Location isn’t brilliant, but the city centre is walkable (just) and minibuses are frequent and cheap. The only thing lacking is more detailed online information about reaching the hostel by public transport from the airport.

• 29th Mar 2014

Tomang Residence

Jakarta, Indonesia

Among the best-value accommodation I've ever stayed in. Very well-run with staff who go out of their way to help, Brand-new, smart and comfortable. Distance from the city centre is an issue; I found the buses to be unreliable. Breakfast is what you would expect for the price. The ground floor rooms are potentially noisy as they open to the communal area. If you want the room cleaned or bin emptied you will need to ask. Nice terrace at the back.

• 23rd Feb 2014

Royal Hostel Skopje

Skopje, Macedonia

Breakfast available even for early departures. Nice and warm. A 30 minute walk from the nearest airport bus stop and walkable from the town centre. Walking/bus directions from the main bus/train station are needed - I got very lost trying to find the hostel despite the help of some local people and the map on Hostelworld. Blanket and area under the bed were dusty; more sheets would be nice. My shower was tepid once. Somebody smoked in the breakfast room.

• 31st Dec 2013

Hostel Banja Luka

Banja Luka, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Good points: Value for money. Friendly, helpful owner. However: Instructions needed on where to find the owner on arrival. Noisy – loud music from the bar until the early hours. A thick layer of dust, and a few bits of rubbish, under the bed. Kitchen sink full of dirty dishes. Only one blanket per bed is inadequate in winter. Alarming that in a hostel without reception the front door was left open all night.

• 28th Dec 2013

Ravnice Youth Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

Great value for money. Friendly and helpful staff. Not close to town centre but tram is very easy. Free tea and coffee from 8-10am. Great area for a walking and jogging – near Maksimir Park. Wifi didn’t work on my floor.

• 27th Dec 2013

The Overstay

Bangkok, Thailand

Good points: Friendly and helpful staff. Good price. Clean inside. Nice and quiet on the upper floors. However: Décor and atmosphere won’t suit everybody. Window ledge full of rubbish. Bedroom door too small for doorway. Bathroom door on my floor didn’t close (although there was another bathroom on the floor below). Bus information from airport incorrect (according to bus station staff). Even with map I found hostel difficult to find. Hostel a bus ride away from the main tourist sights.

• 12th Oct 2013

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

This was my second stay here, and I was again very happy with my stay. Cleanliness was good at all times. There were extra towels in the shower rooms. There was an atmosphere of friendliness and consideration for others. I liked the idea of a film and popcorn after the bar closes. Great to have the free soft drinks. Allow 3 hours to use the washing machine and dryer. Very friendly and helpful staff. I had a good night's sleep. Great location by the Thames.

• 28th Aug 2013

HI - Lisbon Centre

Lisbon, Portugal

The hostel is walkable both from Sete Rios bus station (half an hour) and the city centre. To clarify two points on Hostelworld: there is no kitchen available to guests, although the staff will boil water for hot drinks. Also my dorm was not ready at the promised check-in time of 2pm; I had to vacate it for half an hour at 2.30pm. The locker in my dorm was too small for my rucksack. The toilets/shower room was probably the most disgusting of any hostel I have ever been to.

• 26th Aug 2013

Brussels 2GO4 Quality Hostel

Brussels, Belgium

Staff were friendly and efficient on arrival. Walking distance from Brussels North train station. Wifi connection is quite slow and crashed - I had to go to McDonalds (5 minutes' walk). Spacious dorm with dim reading light. Comfortable lounge. Would recommend hostel. Biggest disappointment was that the dorm was sweltering.

• 21st Jul 2013

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

It is a great place with probably the best hostel breakfast I've ever had, friendly staff and a pleasant location next to the Thames and within walking distance of Big Ben. I had a good night's sleep.The only room for improvement for me was the lack of unlimited free wifi and the impossibility of sitting on a lower bunk.

• 30th Jun 2013

Mountain Peace Guest House

Kathmandu, Nepal

Times of the power cuts are posted at reception, but I found these by chance. The bathroom was basic. Maybe instructions for hot showers could be given at check-in. The pillow was hard. I needed 2 duvets (provided). Power cuts may cause delays to restaurant orders. I was given a welcome drink and leaving drink and the guesthouse arranged a taxi from and to the airport. TV channels included BBC, CNN and TV5. For the price it was superb and the friendly staff speak excellent English.

• 23rd Feb 2013

City Hostel

Skopje, Macedonia

It’s within easy walking distance of the town centre. Try to print a detailed map showing the street names before going to the hostel for the first time. To walk from the hostel to the bus/train station I found that it took 20-25 minutes (walking quite fast with luggage). It wasn’t very quiet in my room due to a TV just outside, although it was switched off just before 11pm. Nice and warm. Very friendly, helpful staff; they left out breakfast the evening before for an early departure.

• 2nd Jan 2013

Art Hotel Varna

Varna, Bulgaria

A delightful hotel; great value. It was quiet with friendly staff and a central location very near the main square. The train station is at the end of the same street as the hotel (downhill from the hotel). TV channels include CNN; it was fiddly getting the TV to work and it took a while for the heating to take effect. There was no sign of the tea/coffee-making facilities. Better and more detailed directions are needed: there was no sign of a fountain (switched off presumably in winter).

• 30th Dec 2012

Sun Rise Hotel

Amman, Jordan

Good points: location and price. Problems: 1) despite booking 3 months in advance, I was required to change rooms for the second night of a two night stay 2) on the second night I was woken at 1am by the sound of drilling, followed by a knock on the door by the management wanting to install a TV wall bracket 3) I was promised a welcome drink which never materialised 4) I had to ask repeatedly for extra blankets 5) a wifi password was promised but never given 6) overall shoddy management

• 21st Dec 2012

Sun Home Stay

Johor Bahru, Malaysia

I chose this accommodation over other single rooms of a similar price as the single room was advertised as ensuite - it was not ensuite! Also there was no hot water for the shower. I have given a poor mark for security because the front door could be unlocked by anyone by putting their hand through a hole in the door - and because there was no lock on the gate. What I liked most was that there was a very friendly atmosphere and there were guests of all ages and backgrounds.

• 27th Oct 2012
  • Globetrotter

This was the second time I stayed here and I would stay again. It was quieter than the last time I stayed here and even in a large dorm you can sleep quite well. The staff are friendly and efficient. There is a nice relaxed atmosphere at breakfast with the TV on and you don't feel rushed. I would recommend this hostel.

• 27th Aug 2012

YHA Stratford upon Avon

Stratford-upon-Avon, England

The hostel is in a beautiful building and grounds and the dorm was probably the best I've ever stayed in - spacious and airy. The only problem with the dorm was that the reading light didn't work. The location is obviously a drawback especially if you are reliant on public transport. I had a very warm welcome, but the member of staff on duty the following morning said nothing to me when I checked out. The information on the website about breakfast is unclear; it is NOT included.

• 13th Aug 2012

The Crown Hotel & Bar

Glastonbury, England

It was so hot and stuffy in the dorm it was very difficult to sleep and so for some of the night I sat in the kitchen/lounge. The wifi connection crashes after one hour. I was a bit surprised to be told on arrival there was nowhere to leave my luggage (I had a rucksack I didn't need in the dorm where there was limited space). The staff were very friendly and you can't beat the location.

• 8th Aug 2012

University of Bath

Bath, England

First the positives - clean, good value accommodation with good facilities (except for the lack of wifi). For such delightful accommodation it is incredibly badly administered. The directions on the Hostelworld site complete with a link to a baffling array of maps are next to useless. All that's needed is a simple map showing the bus and walking route from the city centre to the accommodation office. Staff seemed unaware their own entry on Hostelworld stated breakfast was included.

• 7th Aug 2012
  • Globetrotter

Considering the fact I was sharing with 29 other people I slept remarkably well. Most people were considerate of each other and there were signs up reminding people to keep the noise down. The breakfast was basic but tasty and it was atmospheric having it in the pub watching the Olympics on TV. The staff were efficient and friendly and I immediately felt welcome; when I arrived the staff had already filled out a guest card with my name on it.

• 4th Aug 2012

Plymouth University

Plymouth, England

Apart from the noisy firedoors I had a great stay. Thank you. Following my feedback about my previous stay I was informed there is some flexibility in check-in times.

• 2nd Jul 2012

Plymouth University

Plymouth, England

I would definitely recommend staying here. On the down side you can't check in until 2pm, the doors are noisy, and the plug hole of the shower was blocked when I was there. On the other hand my room was comfortable, it's great to be able to use the gym, and tea and coffee were provided in the kitchen. I liked it so much I've already made another booking.

• 26th Jun 2012

Astor Victoria

Convenient location for Victoria. Note that padlocks have to be large to fit the hostel lockers. My suitcase padlocks didn't. I had a reasonable night's sleep. The breakfast was basic but tasty with great filter coffee. Staff very pleasant.

• 24th Jun 2012

Mansour Hotel

Amman, Jordan

Customer service and location are the best things about this hostel. The manager is among the the best of any I have met. Also there's a fast wifi connection, and the breakfast is tasty. On the down side my room was very stuffy despite the fan, and the lock on the toilet/shower door doesn't work. I would recommend this place if only to experience first class customer service in great part of a great city at a great price!

• 20th Jun 2012

Old City Sololaki Hostel

Tbilisi, Georgia

This is a good choice - the main advantages are price, location, tranquillity (except for the noise from the TV) and a friendly, hospitable and helpful owner. With the electric heater my room was nice and warm. However the mention of internet access is out-of-date – there is no internet – and even having a single room you may sense a lack of privacy. There need to be clearer directions to the hostel; even having printed the directions and correct map I had to ask 3 people. Note that the location shown o

• 24th Mar 2012

Tash-inn

Belgrade, Serbia

A wonderful place. Excellent helpful staff. A great location next to the park. Nice to have the tea- and coffee-making facilities. I think two things could be improved: the heating needs to be turned up at night or extra bedding provided; and the shower needs to be sorted out (it was tepid). Having said that I would definitely recommend it.

• 4th Jan 2012

City Centre Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

First the good points : the room was nice and warm (in fact I had to turn the heating off sometimes), the hostel was quiet at night, it was good to have wi-fi and coffee. But despite what the website stated there was no tea. Things were a little awkward on arrival, as someone was in the room I had booked so had to be moved - the staff didn't seem to be expecting me despite my booking! Make sure if you leave your luggage for a late departure you leave extra time - I was locked out for 15 minutes.

• 1st Jan 2012
  • Globetrotter

Dear Guest, thank you for your comment. You arrived on new years day and we all had been partying the night before till the early morning. So this is the reason for the in organised state that you found us in. Also all the shops were closed on the day so we couldn't buy tea on that day, sorry about that and for our disorganisation on your arrival.

Ardgarry B&B

Inverness, Scotland

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Excellent breakfast. It was a nice relaxing place and I had a good night's sleep. The room was small but cosy.

• 29th Dec 2011

Inverness Tourist Hostel

Inverness, Scotland

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. I had a good, comfortable and peaceful night's sleep. There is a lovely cosy lounge/TV room tastefully decorated - there were Christmas trees and lights. The place is spotless and the staff are friendly and take cleaning seriously. I'd definitely recommend it.

• 28th Dec 2011
  • Globetrotter

It really makes our day and all the hard work worthwhile when we get a review as good as this from a traveller who has stayed at lots of hostels and knows what they're talking about. Thanks again for the recommendation and take care.

Hostel Glide

Yerevan, Armenia

This hostel was excellent value, in a good location near the metro, clean and with very friendly service. However showers were a degree or two too cold. Breakfast was tasty but early risers or those with an early flight might find it too late (8.30am onwards). Also don’t expect breakfast to be served precisely at the agreed time; it wasn’t served until at least 8.45am. The directions to the hostel were inadequate and ambiguous.Contrary to information on hostelworld there is no swimming pool.

• 6th Nov 2011
  • Globetrotter

Dear Barnaby! Thank you for your comment, we appreciate it, and i would like to write a comment on that. Usually in our hostel the breakfast is served from 8am till 11.30am. For early risers we can prepare breakfast on their demand at any time and there was misunderstanding with the swimming pool, we'll correct this information. Thank you.

City Suites

Istanbul, Turkey

Very good value and very helpful staff. You may need to bring your own padlock if you want to lock your room - although you will be given a key for the front door. Double check with Google Maps as when I booked the map on the hostelworld site showed the hostel in the wrong place.

• 21st Aug 2011

Hotel Parigi

Rimini, Italy

First the positive points: great location, tasty breakfast, and the staff were quick to deal with noisy guests. However there are serious issues here with customer relations. When I arrived my attempt to check in was constantly interrupted by phone calls. There were other staff around but it seemed the receptionist had to do everything himself. At breakfast I was moved from a table I had chosen apparently because it was laid for 2 rather than 1. I would hesitate to stay here again.

• 24th Jun 2011

Elysia Hostel

Sofia, Bulgaria

This is a delightful place run by a very helpful lady. The rooms are quiet, the hostel is full of character and the breakfasts are good and freshly prepared. I recommend this hostel with enthusiasm.

• 21st Jun 2011

Star Hotel Plovdiv

Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Excellent location and helpful staff. On the other hand there was no web access in the lobby despite the information given on Hostelworld.

• 19th Jun 2011

Moon Lodge

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I would recommend this hostel if you are on a tight budget. It is cheap, the staff are very pleasant and there is a nice roof terrace. However, despite the fan, I found staying in my bedroom for long periods of time difficult given the lack of natural light and lack of fresh air. The toilet and shower were not that pleasant and there was not a very pleasant smell in the corridor leading to them.

• 26th Mar 2011

Erenler Hotel

Istanbul, Turkey

I can't fault this place - excellent value and staff go out of their way to help and check everything is OK. Allow extra time if taking the shuttle bus to the airport. Mine came 20 minutes late. This was not the fault of the hotel - in fact they phoned the driver twice to find out where he was.

• 1st Jan 2011

Thanx for your Comment. i hope see you again Mehmet Zeytin

Guesthouse Fotinov

Burgas, Bulgaria

I spent a lot of time trying to get the heating to work. The staff were helpful but may I suggest instructions are left in the rooms? Also a welcome drink was only provided when I asked for it, and then I had to make it myself! Tea and coffee making facilities were only provided after I asked. Otherwise I was very happy wıth my stay.

• 28th Dec 2010

St George Hotel

The location near Paddington Station was very convenient. I suppose you get what you pay for but I was have the following comments: 1) the room was tiny - there was barely room to unpack. 2) the room was extremely hot even with the temperature 20 degrees outside. I think it would be unbearable in there during higher temperatures. 3) as I had an early departure I was offered the breakfast the evening before (which I appreciated). However, by 23:30 it hadn't been brought so I had to go and ask.

• 22nd Aug 2010

Hostel Ljubicica

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

I booked with the hostel who put me with a local couple. It was excellent - from the free pick-up from the bus station, to the free Turkish coffee given on arrival, to the free internet access (lots of computers so no queues!) to the friendliness and efficiency of the couple and the reception staff. Enthusiastically recommended!

• 12th Jul 2010

Hostel Lozanni

Athens, Greece

A good value hostel conveniently located both for the town centre and the train station. Staff are helpful. Hot showers may require some forward planning as you may need to ask for the boiler to be switched on. My only complaint is about other guests smoking next to the computers - and about this apparently being allowed by the management who seemed to have provided an ashtray. I for one don\'t want to get lung cancer from passive smoking.

Dear Barnaby, Many thanks for your kind comments and positive rating. We appreciate your constructive suggestion about smoking by the computers - and I will discuss this with the owner I assure you to ensure a better solutrion to the smoking problem. James.

Downtown Belgrade Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

This hostel compares very favourably with alternative accommodation in Belgrade at a similar price. Its location couldn\'t be better. The staff are polite and helpful and the hostel has a homely feel. However it gets stuffy in the summer and the internet connection for my email didn\'t work.

Downtown Hostel Novi Sad

Novi Sad, Serbia

I\'d recommend this hostel. The location couldn\'t be better, and the staff will willingly help you with information about the town. The downside is that it gets stuffy in the hostel during the summer.

Hostel New Morning

Belgrade, Serbia

Very friendly and helpful staff, and good value. However the ensuite bathroom door wouldn\'t shut, and there was no toilet paper.

Hotel Sydney

Timisoara, Romania

Very friendly and helpful staff, comfortable, quiet rooms and great value. The distance from the town centre is a drawback, however. The directions for public transport given when I booked were too vague to be useful.

Hostel Lozanni

Athens, Greece

Excellent service, great value, friendly staff, thoroughly recommended!

Balco Harmony Hostel

Sliema, Malta

I stayed here during the winter holiday; I was the only guest and the owners came to open it specially for me. Excellent value, great service, friendly staff - enthusiastically recommended!

Balco Harmony Hostel

Sliema, Malta

Excellent value, very efficient and friendly staff. Highly recommended!

Students & Travellers Inn

Athens, Greece

There are apparently no lockers and only one guest per room is given a key (which is useless for solo travellers).

SunnyLakeHostel

Ohrid, Macedonia

The staff are excellent - attentive and polite. The beds are very comfortable and you get a free ice-cream when you arrive, as well as free tea and coffee during your stay. There is a very pleasant terrace and security is first class - you have 2 lockers each large enough to fit a large rucksack. The manager does his best to enforce a quiet time between 11pm and 8am, but this is unfortunately ignored by some of the more inconsiderate guests.

House Kokolo

Hvar, Croatia

A delightful place to stay. It`s an uphill walk from the town centre, but when I arrived/left I was offered a lift. The accommodation is quiet and spotlessly clean. Highly recommended!

Chillout Hostel Cafe

Istanbul, Turkey

I enjoyed my stay except: It was noisy both nights until 4am (this wasn't entirely the fault of people staying at the hostel - much of the noise came from outside on the street). The toilet cubical was tiny, smelly and not cleaned enough.