Parami Guesthouse

Chiang Mai, Thailand

It's a little outside of the city center, but that also made it considerably quieter for a good night's sleep.

Paradise Bungalows

Koh Chang, Thailand

It's ok. In the off season, you can probably find something closer to the beach for the same price. Staff won't clean the room unless you hang the "Please clean room" sign on the doorknob. My bungalow seemed to have a lot of ants, so I'd recommend having your room cleaned daily just so the bins will be changed. No breakfast, which normally wouldn't be an issue, but things open LATE in that area -- not much to choose from if you're an early riser. There is a fridge, though.

Suneta Hostel Khaosan

Bangkok, Thailand

Good, clean hostel with helpful staff.

HI-Toronto

Toronto, Canada

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE PRICE WHEN BOOKING! If you're not a member of whatever association they're a part of, you have to pay extra or join their association. Aside from that, good location, friendly staff. I stayed here about four years ago, and the facilities now show some wear and tear (I had trouble with my door lock, the beds creak, etc.), but it's still an okay place to stay.

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

I've put off reviewing this because I had my laptop stolen while there. It was in a locked locker, and when I returned from a day's worth of sightseeing, the lock was gone, along with my laptop and a few other items. There is CCTV on each floor but some sort of dehumidifier blocked the view, so there was no way to catch the perpetrator. There are "extra-secure" lockers available. I'd seen those but wasn't sure what they were all about or how to use them. Definitely use these!!!

Khammany Inn Hostel

Luang Prabang, Laos

Great place to stay. Clean, quiet rooms.

Velkommen Backpackers

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Location is good -- very near the river and the Royal Palace. This is more of a party hostel, located near many bars and restaurants, with bar in the hostel itself. Dorms are spacious enough, air conditioning is turned on in the evening. Some of the dorm beds need to be repaired -- some of the guards for the upper beds aren't even attached with screws and guests occasionally pull them off (it's actually a bit dangerous). Staff was helpful re: luggage storage and laundry.

Siem Reap Rooms

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Clean rooms in the quiet area of Siem Reap. Small pool on the rooftop -- not large enough to actually swim in, but nice place to take a dip after a day of visiting the temples. Free ride from the airport very much appreciated. Owner gave excellent information and advice about the area.

Indraprastha Home Stay

Ubud, Indonesia

Great place to stay. Clean, good breakfast, beautiful building and courtyard.

Venezia Homestay

Yogyakarta, Indonesia

I loved the dining area -- open, relaxed atmosphere, has a koi pond. The staff was very nice. Get an ensuite room if you can. Only negative point was that the communal shower hadn't been cleaned in a while (lots of leftover bars of soap, half empty shampoo bottles, etc.).

Six Degrees

Jakarta, Indonesia

Staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. I highly recommend this hostel.

River City Inn

Singapore, Singapore

Very good, clean hostel. Definitely recommend it. Get a smaller room, if you can. I stayed in the 26-bed dorm. The hostel does as much as they can to make it comfortable (half-curtains around the lower bunks, reading lights, blankets to rest your suitcase on so they won't scrape the floor, etc.). But with 26 beds, there's always someone up and packing/unpacking, opening lockers, etc.

Sunshine Bedz KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Good place to stay. Excellent location in Bukit Bintang. The staff was very accommodating as far as check in/out times and let me take a shower after check out before I got on the night train. A few suggestions if the hostel is ever re-modeled: 1) more electric outlets, and 2) reading lights. No windows, so the rooms are DARK! Remember to bring a flashlight.

KRS Pines Guest House

Tanah Rata, Malaysia

It's not a bad place to stay, but there are a lot of choices in the Cameron Highlands (although not many are listed on hostelworld). The hotel is set back from the main strip, which I kind of liked. However, after an afternoon of heavy rain, the road flooded -- I had to take off my shoes and wade through about 8" of water to get back to the hotel. The mattresses are the foam kind, not the spring kind. Walls are thin but guests were considerate and quiet. Small fee for Wi-Fi access.

Sea Blue Phuket Hostel & Guesthouse

Phuket Patong Beach, Thailand

Good, clean, basic hostel. Excellent value for the money. Just one minor irk -- I booked ahead and paid 200 baht while walk-ins paid 150. I'm still satisfied at 200 baht, but there are loads of places to stay in that area. If it's not peak season you might want to just walk in. Lockers are available but bring your own lock (or buy one there for 60 baht).

Little Hanoi Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

Tony was probably the most helpful person I've ever met. Very accommodating. I wish there were a way to give 110% rating for staff.

Little Hanoi Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

The staff was very helpful. Very good value. Basic dorm room with lockers and ensuite bathroom, breakfast included, booking services.

Hoang Ha Sapa

Sapa, Vietnam

I really liked this place. It's just far enough from the main drag to provide a relatively quiet night's sleep. The staff was very, very helpful. They are currently renovating so things are a little in disarray at the moment (areas closed off, etc.). Very good value for the money, though.

Sunny Guest House

Yuanyang, China

Great view of the rice terraces at sunrise. But aside from that, don't expect too much. There was one English speaker who was volunteering there for eight weeks. The food was good -- not Hani but they used locally grown vegetables. If you want to try local Hani dishes, go to the tourist welcome center. Bathroom facilities were so-so: bad mildew smell from the downstairs bathroom, had hot water two out of three nights. They are building hotels fast, so soon there will be some better choices.

I loved the building. Good location near Green Lake Park. Booking service for bus tickets, etc., is very useful, especially if you don't speak Chinese.

Very helpful staff. The furniture is getting a bit old and beat up, and the TV in the dorm room is a waste of space, but nice common area. Also, it was nice to have shelves in the room to unpack a little. Hot water is available in the mornings and evenings.

I loved the building -- it's a maze of brick/stone rooms and buildings. The bar/common area was great, and the location near Green Lake was good. They also have a booking service for train/bus tickets, etc.

Lamb Tour House

Taipei, Taiwan

Great place to stay. Very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Great staff, friendly atmosphere. Clean, basic dorm rooms with very sturdy beds. The owner and staff were great. I'd definitely stay there again.

Lamb Tour House

Taipei, Taiwan

Extremely clean -- probably the cleanest hostel I've ever stayed at. No restaurant/bar area but there are kitchen facilities and plenty of restaurants nearby. Very helpful and friendly staff. It's maybe a 10-minute walk from the station. It would have been a little hard to find but the staff sent excellent directions with photos. I'd definitely stay there again.

This is a beautiful hotel in a perfect location right on West Lake. But, it is more of a hotel than a hostel. As a hostel, it lacks some of the basic facilities that backpackers need (such as laundry facilities). And there is no common area, really. There is a restaurant, but since the restaurant was so nice, I felt I had to dress in day clothes, when all I really wanted to do was relax in my sweats and have a beer while I checked e-mail. As a hotel, though, it's a very good choice.

The location is close to The Bund, so very good for sightseeing. Good common area with tables and chairs. Cleanliness was okay. The bathroom facilities were a little messy at times, and the drains in the showers backed up pretty easily, but I've seen worse in other hostels. The free Wi-Fi in the common areas went down from time to time but was generally accessible. Given the location and value for money, I'd definitely stay there again.

Has absolutely everything you need. It's clean, has spacious rooms, hot showers, good security, and helpful staff. It's about a fifteen minute walk from the station. I marked the location as "average," but the truth is, Kyoto is really spread out and it's pretty tough to have a "good" location.

Not a bad place to stay. Average, I'd say. I liked the curtains around the beds. It was good for a little privacy.