Reviews: elliemcbelly1246

Location: Australia, Gender: Female, Age: 32

Orange Drive Hostel

Los Angeles, USA

Excellent little hostel. Amazing location - so close to where it's all happening in Hollywood and yet so quiet. The rooms were beautiful for hostel rooms with 2 beds rather than bunks in the private rooms. Was not a very social hostel, at least not while I was there, but lovely nonetheless and perfect for our purposes.

• 21st Aug 2013

Hotel Pigeon Forge Inn

Pigeon Forge, USA

No, it's not a hostel, it's a hotel room which id already gathered from the description of "1 person mixed dorm" but I was still very pleasantly surprised when I got there. In my travels I have paid a whole lot more for much less. Very clean, huge hotel room, excellent breakfast, and friendly a helpful staff. Such value for money, was very impressed.

• 17th May 2012
  • Globetrotter

I booked what stated "1 bed mixed dorm" which in the past (and since) on hostelworld has meant a private room, but was told when I got there meant 1 bed in a mixed dorm. However, staff was very helpful in sorting it out, upon further payment, to get a private room in what is essentially a hotel. So much nicer. Location was excellent, right near everything you could want to see in Memphis. Dorm didn't look particularly nice from the half second I saw of it, private room was great though.

• 14th May 2012
  • Globetrotter

Excellent social hostel with a great vibe. Not particularly close to attractions, but the streetcar is right outside. Staff were very helpful. I had a private room which was clean and secure but can't comment on dorms. As a side note for novice travellers, I believe some of the dorms have bathrooms, but otherwise there is just one individual shower/bathroom inside but otherwise only unisex stalls, with the showers with justcurtains for doors. Should be taken into consideration if new to hostels.

• 8th May 2012

American Dream Hostel

New York, USA

Nice little family run place, fairly close to everything. Not sure about public transport as I walked everywhere. Staff were excellent, and the breakfast was amazing. Very friendly feel to the way the place was run, honour code for anything extra to be paid for, laundry, internet etc which was nice . Other than breeakfast time, I didn't feel there was a particularly social air to the place - not many people frequenting the common room etc, but I presume they were out and about in New York.

• 5th May 2012

Green Tortoise Backpackers

San Francisco, USA

Great hostel. Have used it before and will use it again. Good location, not particularly close to anything in particular, but sort of in the middle between anywhere that you'd want to go as a tourist. Staff are great, very helpful, and it has a good vibe about the place. Lockers under the bed are huge which is great when you're travelling, as are the individual power points on each bunk. Not much to fault at all. Slightly difficult to get an unoccupied shower in the morning, but they're clean.

• 28th Apr 2012

HI-Sukhumvit

Bangkok, Thailand

This was a great little hostel. A very short walk from the skytrain, the night market, and a 7/11. They were very flexible during the whole airport crisis when I had to keep checking back in, not knowing when i was going to be able to leave. If you\'re going to get stranded, this was a good place - good internet access, pay phones, kitchen, free breakfast, a nice roof to sunbathe on, lovely staff, and air-con at night.

Old Jaffa Hostel

Tel Aviv, Israel

I liked the location of this hostel (though directions could have been more comprehensive to get there.) and there was a good feeling to it. The kitchen was good, as was the view from the roof. One thing that bugged me was that reception was only available during the day, and internet access wasn\'t available when they weren\'t there, so it closed before 6pm. Only a minor problem though. Rooms were clean, as were bathrooms.

Tiberias Hostel

Tiberias, Israel

There was nothing at all wrong with this hostel. Nothing exciting about it either. I didn\'t like the smell of cigarette smoke walking in, but I did like having air con and a fridge in the room. Perfectly adequate. I wouldn\'t suggest doing the tour they push though, if all you want to see are capernaum and tabgha as they are easily done alone, despite what they might tell you. The guide is good however.

Fauzi Azar Inn

Nazareth, Israel

This hostel was beautiful! I loved how whenever you got even remotely close to the hostel you could find signs pointing you in the right direction. Staff was wonderful - I had been badly bitten (mosquitoes or bed bugs) at a previous hostel, and they gave me something to put on the bites which was above and beyond.

Citadel Youth Hostel

Jerusalem, Israel

The staff were fantastic and very knowledgeable and helpful, particularly the guy on during the day. Great location as well. Unfortunately I visited during the renovations and the whole place was always so dusty. It seemed it would have made more sense to close the place for a week rather than give such a bad impression of the hostel. I also was given a doona with dark red splotches, appearing to be blood stains. I was told later by the cleaner that they were furniture polish and they try not to use those doonas, but if that\'s true, I still can\'t understand why they didn\'t just replace them. I\'m sure the place is great under normal circumstances though.

Lucky-Hostel

Gdansk, Poland

This was an unusual hostel. It had some very good points, and other points that made me feel rather uncomfortable. The beds and pillows were comfortable and clean, and the free ride from the station was good, and breakfast was excellent though the bread ran out from people taking it for their lunches or whatever. It seemed to be in a family home though, so there were kids sitting around and I felt like I was invading. Often I asked questions and got yes or no answers where what I was asking for was details or an explanation of how things work, so I think there was a language barrier there as well. The owner tried very hard to convince me to pay for the hostel lift to the airport and I agreed, but then he didn\'t show up when I\'d told him I needed to go, so a younger staff/family member drove me instead, which was a very harrowing ride as he sped, tailgated and used his mobile phone the whole time.

I don't understand your opinion. One child was into the Hostel. I not to forbid for guests to arrive with the child. If bread is ending it is necessary to notify the staff. There is always a supply being enough of bread in the Hostel. You reserved the transport to Airport on 7.00 pm and about 7.00 pm the car waited for you at Hostel. It isn't my fault you ride with guest from Hostel not younger Staff. Your ride took place 5 to 7.00 pm. I call to Hostel that I to arrive punctually according to booking for 7.00 pm. The bad opinion is only from yours bad emotions from the reason your nervousness and the mistake. From me you got all leads and the exhaustive reply to your questions. I took care for you. You to sleep alone in the room (dorm), you to have the peace and silence. And all possible help and the information.

I loved this hostel for all of its little extra touches - it was very homely, but what made it special were things like the breakfast (standard cereal and bread, but with all sorts of different spreads including things like polish pate, cheese triangles, nutella, plus yoghurt pots etc.) the leaving snack, and theme days (nothing is better than getting up in the morning and being handed a glass of jelly/jello to go with breakfast, and being told it\'s jelly day.) The staff were all very chatty and helpful, and it\'s pretty close to transport into town. I highly recommend this hostel.

PLUS Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

There\'s nothing wrong with this hostel, but it\'s not a good place to stay in the down season, if you\'re alone, as it\'s empty. I had an 8 person dorm to myself, which is well and good but you don\'t meet anybody, particularly when the topdeck tours people seem to be the only people in the area, and the restaurant had a sort of nightclubby feel to it, meaning that when there\'s hardly anyone there, it\'s not a great atmosphere. The location was fine though, not close to the city, but close and easy for public transport. and the staff were excellent, as was the general cleanliness and security.

Hi Eleanor, thanks for your comments. I'm glad you found our staff excellent :) It seems to be an unusually quiet October/November in Prague, so as best we can, we're putting people together to try to get people meeting eachother etc. Unfortunately it's not always possible depending on bookings. The recption lobby, bar and pool and sauna areas provide spaces to make new acquaintences, we do our best to encourage our guests to use these facilities and have fun. I'm sad that in your case it didn't fully work out, hopefully next time :) Mark @ Plus Prague.

HomePlus Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

This is an excellent hostel that really grew on me. The staff were all amazingly friendly and helpful, it\'s in a perfect location, near to transport, shops, McDonalds etc. The tv room has a big comfy 6 person couch, and lots of various dvds plus free internet. The 9 person room was HUGE for a hostel room, which was great. When I found myself in a pickle and needed to stay an extra night even though they had no beds, they bent over backwards for me and let me stay on a mattress on the floor, which didn\'t get in people\'s way because the space was so plentiful. Very flexible and a homely, friendly place to stay.

Dubrovnik Backpackers Club

Dubrovnik, Croatia

I really enjoyed staying here - the owners are lovely and often offering food and the like, but also advice and are very chatty and always remember your name. Being such a friendly, homely place, they were also very flexible. It\'s in a very good location, not amazingly close to the old town but very close to the bus stop which is very convenient. The only downside is that the room and ensuite didn\'t get appear to get cleaned in the 3 days that I was there, but it wasn\'t all that dirty anyhow, so maybe that\'s why.

Haris Youth Hostel

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

It was a nice, friendly place to stay. It\'s a pretty steep hill leading up to it, but it\'s doable. Staff were lovely and helpful, though I was there when there were only 2 other guests, so my fun rating cannot be really indicative of what it\'s like in summer.

A Venice Fish

Venice, Italy

Definitely the best hostel I've been to so far. It's in a brilliant location, in a lovely building. The free dinner not only saves money but encourages a good socialising atmosphere. Really good place to meet people. Mimo, the guy running the show is awesome and really friendly. If all you want is a place to crash for an evening or two this may not be the place for you, but this hostel gives you more for your money including a lovely experience.

Hatters on Newton Street

Manchester, England

Having been to some pretty scummy hostels in the UK, I'd say this one is pretty good actually. The toast, tea, coffee, juice all day is a great idea, and the common areas are atmospheric and also quite large. The rooms are a decent size as well, so 10 beds aren't all stacked on each other which is great. I wasn't a fan of the showers which absolutely lacked privacy due to transparent doors which wasn't cool.

Hi Eleanor, Glad you had a good time with us. The shower rooms are seperated by male or female and have frosted glass doors on each shower rather than see thru. We will look into alternatives to offer a better sense of privacy, maybe some solid colours on the doors would help. I will see if this could be an option.. and add a bit of colour to the whole cleansing experience. All the best, Hatters

Ashfield Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

I was only here a couple of days, but I did like this hostel. It was in a great location, right near O\'Connell St. (and really close to a convenience shop too). Breakfast was great for toast and juice, and well organised. Staff were helpful, rooms were clean. My only gripe would be that there are only 2 keys per room meaning that I got woken up at 5 am to let people into the room one morning.

Torquay Hostel

I stayed here a few times over the past couple of months. I mostly enjoyed this hostel. The staff were very helpful and the kitchenettes were good to have in the ensuite rooms. Rooms are clean. The shared bathrooms are terrible though - always dirty, and the smell is awful. Best to get ensuite room. Breakfast has gone from organised to chaos recently with the change of staff, but it\'s all edible. Close to Bayswater shops. Staff brilliant. Really.

This is a huge hostel with lots of stuff like a cafe and postcard shop and the like, though this probably comes at the cost of a bit of character and warmth. No breakfast, and the bathrooms weren\'t great as other have noted, on the other hand it was super-safe within the hostel itself (the area outside doesn\'t feel great late at night, though that could just be my perception) and there\'s always people up and around.

HI - Boston Downtown

Boston, USA

This hostel was very close to transport and also within walking distance from fenway park. The computer access was great, and the breakfast was better than all the others I had in hostels across the usa. My only little gripe was that the set up of the hostel didn\'t really encourage socialising all that much as everyone sat in the main room with their laptops on the wifi at the expense of conversation. This was probably exacerbated for me by the fact that I somehow ended up in a 4 bedroom dorm by myself (nice, but lonely.)

Having been mostly to large, popular, character-less youth hostels, this place was a lovely little surprise. The whole place had a great atmosphere and the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The train going past every 20 mins or so may annoy some, but that isn\'t the hostel\'s fault. It could be a real downer if you are relying on going on one of their grand canyon tours and it doesn\'t run if not enough people sign up, but there is plenty of information about other tours to the grand canyon from flagstaff available around the hostel.

USA Hostels Hollywood

Los Angeles, USA

Excellent location so close to Hollywood Blvd, and the security is great. Comedy nights were lots of fun, and it was very easy to meet people here. All you can make pancakes were not my cup of tea, but there were plenty there. Good value hostel which is just as well as it cost me more to park my car across the road than to stay at the hostel. This hostel is easy to get to from the greyhound station and also public transport from lax.

Green Tortoise Backpackers

San Francisco, USA

Very friendly hostel with cheerful and helpful staff, large rooms with lots of locker space, and decent bathrooms. Designed to make it easy to socialise. The dinner 3 times a week was a real bonus.