Location: Japan, Gender: Male, Age: 42

Sandeman Allen

Really not a fault of the people running the hostel but "regulars" who stay there long terms are a bunch of weirdos. Need a better/larger common room that stays open all day/night instead of everybody cooped up in their own rooms keeping everybody up at nights. Free foods twice a day is great though if only to see struggling wanna-be actors/actresses yapping at each other. Feels like I was in a halfway house. Again, do not fault that to the hostel, which was run with their best intentions.

Five Elements Hostel Frankfurt

Frankfurt, Germany

Good free breakfast (which doesn't end until noon), and BBQ or free pasta every night. One problem is that (judging from others' reviews), their elevator has been broken for at least 2 weeks when I stayed there (although the staff gives you an impression that it just broke today). I don't know how long it'll stay broken but if your room is on a higher floor (can be as high as 7th FL), it can be daunting.

Dear guests, we are so sorry about the elevator issue! Believe me, our cleaning staff lets us know how much trouble it is every day. We already bought a new one. Unfortunately the thing with things like this is, it takes a while till all the parts arrive and unfortunately there is nothing we can do at the moment but wait for the repairs to be done. The repair company is doing their best! Please pick up your free drink at the bar and ask for help with your luggage at any time!

Brxxl 5 City Centre Hostel

Brussels, Belgium

Ended up staying here for 10 days because my bag with all my valuables in it got stolen near the train station in Brussels (Belgium is NOT SAFE for tourists!!). Hostels in Europe tend to price gouge in busy days (esp. in weekends or on the special event days) but this place doesn't and it was very nice for a long stay. 4 bed dorm room was spacious and clean. The only downside is no breakfast (except coffee/tea) and no kitchen but otherwise a great value for the money.

Abhostel

Antwerp, Belgium

Overall nice family-run hostel. Check-in is tricky as the staff is there only for a few hours at a time. One strange problem I had was the owners don't want you to hang around at the hostel after you checked out. They initially suggested me to keep my bag at the station if I wanted to do more sightseeing in the afternoon. They grudgingly allowed me to leave my bag for a few hours but afterwards, they really wanted me to get out. Unusual practice for a hostel and not very accommodating.

MEININGER Brussels City Center

Brussels, Belgium

Initially stayed here for a couple of days when I had an unfortunate incident of getting all my valuables stolen near the Brussels central train station (Belgium is NOT SAFE for tourists!!). Quite expensive on weekends so I moved out to another hostel. The passive cooling system in the building with un-openable windows makes dorm rooms uncomfortable to sleep in a hot day/night. Always a large queue at the front desk with 10+ people waiting. They need more front-desk staff for its size.

I'm a Japanese but I could tell other Japanese staying there are suspicious or even somewhat hostile to foreigners staying there. Not a very welcoming environment for foreign backpackers even though the staff seem quite friendly. Some staff that are unnecessarily made inconvenient in typical Japanese manners are funny but inconvenient nonetheless (ex. absolutely NO charging outlets in the entire hotel except at ONE laptop station where they ask you to leave if you were not using a laptop).

IM Guest House

Osaka, Japan

An OK stay. A facility was a bit run down though but was regularly cleaned and OK otherwise. There was (and is) a problem with Internet and I tried to fix their WIFI setup for them but the staff was completely computer illiterate and couldn't get them understand what's going on with their routers AT ALL. Funny.

A nice facility.

Oak Hostel

Tokyo, Japan

It was shocking how tiny the double room that I booked was (cost >$100 a night), even for Tokyo standards. Probably should just keep it as a single room instead. There was literally no moving room in their bathrooms. This is the kind of hotel/hostel people think are normal in Tokyo because of Japan's stereotype of how tiny everything is, but not really. You can get a much better value for a room over there in other hotel/hostels.

Sam's House

Kanchanaburi, Thailand

The owner's kind (6 years old?) runs around making huge noise all morning all day disturbing guests in the premise ON PURPOSE. Unless the owners do something to keep away that kid from guest rooms, I strongly suggest not to stay at that hostel.

Lub d Bangkok Silom

Bangkok, Thailand

A good stay, friendly staff. Will stay again, but a bit overpriced for Bangkok.

HI-Sukhumvit

Bangkok, Thailand

A good location although the building seems sketchy.

Vibes Hostel

Quito, Ecuador

I really don't remember anything about this hostel where I stayed about a year ago. It's a good sign though (nothing terrible happened!!)

I booked a dorm bed but couldn't sleep because the room's windows were broken and could hear all the noise from the street in front. I ended up staying in a single room which only cost $15 a night. Overall a nice stay and nice staff but I would think twice about staying in their dorm rooms facing the streets.

Check Inn B&B Cuenca

Cuenca, Ecuador

It was an okay stay despite of low ratings it seems to get. Actually it was a better experience than some other party hostels that were loud all night.

Hosteria Primaveri

Cuenca, Ecuador

Stayed there as there was no other choice. It was okay overall.

Hostal Yakumama

Cuenca, Ecuador

A nice place and a good location. The first night I was staying there, there was a huge Halloween party in its courtyard and was very noisy until 2AM or something, but they said they seldom have a late-night party there. Overall a good stay.

Galapagos Best Home Stay

Galapagos Islands, Ecuador

The location is pretty far from the central area (> 20min walk from the port). When you need to do all of tour-searching, shopping, and eating in the central area, it becomes a hassle. I hate to point out this negative aspect (which they cannot really help) especially because the owner (American) is super nice and gave everybody staying there a tour of the town. Overall a very nice stay.

Manso Boutique Guesthouse

Guayaquil, Ecuador

The rooms were nicely air-conditioned, which you need in Guayaquil (or at least fans). The location is at a nice water-front, but is actually far from the central area where most of shops/supermarkets are. Guayaquil being possibly the most dangerous town in Quito, that might be a good thing.

The Secret Garden Quito

Quito, Ecuador

The building was fairly old and it was a bit noisy with people walking around with squeaking noise, but otherwise it was fine. The roof-top view of Quito was awesome.

Relatively well run hostel. The operation was already getting into the off-season mode in Mid-September and it was a bit of hassle to check in as the staff was only available a few hours a day. Otherwise a good hostel.

9th Ave Hostel

Fairbanks, USA

Nice friendly atmosphere and overall very clean. I had a good time.

Glacier House

Fairbanks, USA

Homely and very welcoming hostel. Friendly hosts. Too bad I couldn't see any northern lights while I was there but had a good time overall.

Arctic Adventure Hostel

Anchorage, USA

Good hostel overall. The owner guy seems kinda quite and was not overly friendly but the other staff was very helpful and I had a good time overall.

MEININGER London Hyde Park

NO KITCHEN AND NO FRIDGE!! Aside from that, the breakfast costs 6 GBP. The hostel, though nice and clean (and fast Internet!), mainly caters to large tour groups (who book their meals at the hostel restaurant as a part of their tour package), and it shows. There is practically no backpacker vibe in the place. Also the neighborhood is very posh (Chelsea) and there is no large supermarket in the area. As you need to use a tube in London anyway, stay some other "regular" neighborhood instead.

Hi there, Many thanks for your kind comment and your rating! You're right, we have a lot of groups staying here. We are more than happy to welcome you maybe some other time, when there are not that many school groups (how about August?!). Chelsea and South Kensington are great areas for the going to one of the famous museums. Next time please ask at reception for directions to the supermarkets there are 3 nearby :) Hope to see you soon! Take care! Your Meininger Team!

Smart Russell Square

Practically no Internet, which was snail speed to never connectable even in the common lounge. Bunk beds are old/rusty and there is no lockable storage. You might say the location is good (West End) but it's actually quite inconvenient as there is no large supermarket nearby. In London, you'll need a tube to go around places anyway, so there is no advantage in staying in an expensive neighborhood like West End. The only reason I stayed there was because I couldn't get other hostels' beds.

Thank you very much for your review. We try our best to treat every feedback individually to understand the problem and resolve it promptly. Our Wi-Fi can be slow sometimes due to amount of people using it at the same time. Hope you will give us another chance in the future :) SRS Staff

Kinlay House Dublin

Dublin, Ireland

Internet is completely unusable (snail speed or no connection). This is inexcusable as a hostel nowadays. Breakfast was with cheap stuff (cereal, breads, nothing else). The only good thing was the location which was central.

Urban Holiday Lofts

Chicago, USA

Paper thin walls between rooms. You can hear absolutely EVERYTHING from next doors, laughing, coughing. You might as well stay in a dorm instead of a single/double room because you get to hear everything from your next doors anyway.

Pretty typical hostel setting. Cheap paper thin walls between rooms. You can hear everything from other rooms and people walking down the hall ways. Otherwise, it's a very social atmosphere.

Terrazas Estoril

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The place was a bit dingy but definitely nice enough. Sociable atmosphere without going crazy like some other hostels.

Hostel 41 Below

Bariloche, Argentina

Really nice hostel. Staff was accommodating to my request as well (requesting a lower bunk bed etc). Will stay again.

America del Sur Hostel

El Calafate, Argentina

It's nice like their counterpart in BA, though other hostels in Calafate are equally nice so it doesn't warrant higher prices like the one in BA. It's always fully booked as well but really no better than other hostels in Calafate.

Unplugged Hostel Suites Centro

Montevideo, Uruguay

Loved un-bunked single beds even though they were cheaply built. Beds were placed spacey enough. Nice atmosphere

Posada Patagonica Nakel Yen

El Calafate, Argentina

Nice hostel, nice breakfast, nice staff. Good experience.

Impecable Hostel

Montevideo, Uruguay

Nice enough and the location is central. No AC so I would imagine it would be uncomfortable in hot summer days otherwise it's nice.

Unplugged Hostel Suites Centro

Montevideo, Uruguay

Nice hostel. Quiet and social enough without going crazy like some other hostels in BA.

America del Sur Hostel Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Pretty nice facilities. Nice staff. Quiet enough and sociable enough without going crazy like some other hostels in BA. A bit more expensive than other hostels in BA, but if that "exclusivity" is what you want (not having to mingle with dirt-dirt cheap travelers) this might be the place for you.

Puerto Limon

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Not sure how to judge this place. Their next door was under construction (looked like owned by the same people), it was absolutely horrible staying there. Maybe it's a pleasant place to stay otherwise.

Telmotango Hostel Suite

Buenos Aires, Argentina

It was a nice stay. Quiet enough. Sociale atmosphere without going crazy like some other hostels in BA.

America del Sur Hostel Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Pretty nice facilities. Nice staff. A bit more expensive than other hostels in BA, but if that "exclusivity" is what you want (not having to mingle with dirt-dirt cheap travelers) this might be the place for you.

Q4 Hotel

New York, USA

The hostel is in Queens but actually is quickly accessible by major subways (E, F, N, R, W, etc) from mid to lower Manhattan and is far more accessible than many other hostels in or near Harlem (which are mostly far from the subway stations). The facilities are very new and clean when I stayed. Ample room and good facilities in the common area. It's still not cheap, but considering how convenient the location is and how good the facilities are, I'll stay again when I'm back in NYC.

Hostel Cat

Las Vegas, USA

I stayed here 10 days ago and stayed here again after traveling around Arizona. Same fun, friendly atmosphere. It's great if you are traveling by yourself as you'll meet tons of people, but again not a good value if you just want to stay in a single room by yourself as Vegas in weekdays offers cheap rooms with much better locations (the main part of the strip) with similar prices to a dorm bed here. I only stayed here again because it was a weekend and there was no cheap room deals.

Hostel Cat

Las Vegas, USA

The staff was great and the place has a very friendly atmosphere with nightly events to go to the main part of the Las Vegas strip. However, the location is far from the central and you'll need to take a bus to go back and force to the casinos or whatever you wanna visit. Considering in weekdays in Vegas, you can get a single room at a hotel in the main part of the strip with a similar price to a dorm bed at this price, I can't say it's a good value. Overall a pleasant and fun place to stay.

DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOSTEL. I flew into Moscow in the morning after a long overnight flight and I was absolutely exhausted and went to this hostel to check in (to have a much needed sleep). They made me wait at the common room FOR 3 HOURS (for unknown reasons other than "we're busy") before they finally told me that THEY DON'T HAVE ANY BED BECAUSE THEY HAD OVERBOOKED BEDS. They cheerfully told me that I could go to another hostel in some other part of Moscow. I complained that 1) I have a reservation (which