• USA, Female, 31-40
The Dreamer Hostel, Santa Marta, Colombia
23rd Nov 2015

I have worked and stayed in countless hostels and this one is definitely a stand-out. The location is about a 20-minute cab ride from the center of Santa Marta, but honestly there's very little reason to visit Santa Marta itself, so the location outside the city is almost a benefit of this hostel. The hostel itself is like a little backpacker's resort with everything you need: food, a bar, hammocks, an awesome pool. Odds are, you'll end up staying longer than you planned. Awesome staff, too!

Urban Holiday Lofts, Chicago, USA
18th Aug 2013

This isn't your typical American hostel. I definitely found it to be closer to the type of upscale hostels I've stayed in in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia. It's super-spacious, everything is new, and the whole place is really bright. And it definitely seems to attract a more low-key clientele, which is great if you want to stay somewhere sociable without putting up with late-night parties in the hallways. The location is awesome -- really cute neighborhood that's convenient to everywhere.

Creole Inn, New Orleans, USA
23rd Jun 2013

Incredible location -- a little off the beaten path but so close to live music on Frenchmen street, cafes & bars in the Marigny, and an easy walk to the French Market. This place is clean, quiet, and gives you so much bang for your buck. I had stayed in a big hotel in the French Quarter the two nights before coming here and it was such a refreshing change of pace to be in a real, local neighborhood. I would definitely stay here again.

USA Hostels San Francisco, San Francisco, USA
6.9
10th Apr 2013

This isn't one of those hostels you'd enjoy staying in if you're older than maybe 22 (though there are a lot that are -- the YHA in Fisherman's Wharf is one). It was incredibly noisy at all hours -- even right outside my door. Having Thurs night karaoke in the basement is just cruel. Though staff were very helpful with directions and any questions I had, and the breakfast was way above average. I'd say if you're in town solely to drink and party, it's perfect. But next time I'll stay elsewhere.

Daintree Crocodylus Village, Cape Tribulation, Australia
12th Feb 2013

LOVED this place. Marie was awesome, Darlene made the best food, and Possum was just the coolest. I was traveling with my sister and my mom and we all agreed: this was the place to be! Location in the middle of the rainforest was unreal -- just pack your bug-spray and make sure you arrive before dark to avoid getting lost :) We felt so welcome and so well looked after; we'd go back in a second! Thanks to everyone at Crocodylus for an excellent stay!

Melbourne Central YHA, Melbourne, Australia
6.0
10th Feb 2013

Best word is "adequate." Not exactly clean but not terribly dirty. Not the best location, but walkable to most city sights & close to the tram. Helpful staff were a plus. Kitchens were pretty dismal: too small, not enough shelf or fridge space for the number of guests sharing them, very dirty. Had to scour the entire hostel just to find 3 forks to eat dinner. Security was fine but it's really annoying scanning your key at every entrance on every floor every 30 seconds. Could be much better.

Apollo Bay Eco YHA, Apollo Bay, Australia
7th Feb 2013

I really love this place. I stayed here last year and loved it so much I actually came back and brought my mom -- which is a pretty big deal for a hostel. It's super-clean, the owners are very friendly, and the whole place is just stunning. Feels more like your rich eco-conscious uncle's house in the Hamptons or something than a hostel. I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else on the great ocean road!

• USA,
Stelios Place at Perissa Beach, Santorini, Greece
2nd Sep 2007

My sister and I stayed here for three nights at the end of August and we absolutely loved it! All the comments about how nice the people are are completely true. Stelios and his family are some of the nicest, warmest, and most helpful people I've ever met! The location is also great - right on the black beach, a water taxi away from the red beach, and two minutes from the bus stop where tour buses and buses to Oia pick up. We also booked a sunset and volcano tour at the front desk and were very happy with it! I only hope we can go back some day and stay there again!