Location: Sweden, Gender: Male, Age: 36

Los Palmeros Hostel

Gran Canaria, Spain

The place itself was horrible, and they obviously have no control over their booking system as we were directed to a windowless and sad bunk bed room instead of the double bed room we had booked. After complaining to management we were transferred to a cheap hotel were we had to change rooms after the first night. After the second night we suddenly were told to move to a third place - six o'clock in the evening!

• 30th Dec 2013
  • Sweden

"Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave valuable feedback and sorry to hear about your bad experience. As of the beginning of 2014, the hostel is under the new management by an established and locally owned hostel brand. We are working hard to address all the issues you and other travellers have raised and we are doing our best to turn Los Palmeros into one of the best places to stay in town!”

Orange Tree Farm

Gran Canaria, Spain

Very nice and friendly staff. They picked us up late at night in Puerto Mogan. Please note that the hostel is situated in another site than the restaurant and that there are no kitchen available in the hostel. The surroundings are very nice and unspoiled by mass tourism - a very nice place for some days off the grid. The main problem with the place is that there are quite a lot of people (up to fifteen-twenty) sharing one single toilet/bathroom - tough in the mornings.

• 27th Dec 2013

City Plaza Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

Horrible place, and I they're lying in their advertising. They DON'T have balconies in all rooms - the view from my minimal window was on a pile of j**k. I had booked an ensuite room, but got a shared bathroom one with 'walls' that let me hear every whisper in the noisy corridor outside. But I still had to fight for not paying for the ensuite room they didn't give me. And no hot water in the shower, no towels, no linen in the bed, dead cat in the staircase. Beware!

• 18th Jan 2013

Dahab Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

Even though winter in Egypt is not like winter in Europe, it can still get quite cold - especially at night. This hostel has no heating whatsoever and everything except for the rooms is right under the stars - charmful perhaps, but I was just freezing. The place is also really filthy in some places. Good concept, great idea, but it seems like they haven't really quite succeeded with it just yet.

Heating ?!!?! :) Egypt has no heating systems! You were unlucky to witness the exceptionally cold 4 days in the beginning of Jan, where everyone in Egypt was freezing, we tried our best with providing extra blankets to our guests during that time. Normally it never gets that cold, hopefully next time you can Enjoy the beatiful weather in Egypt

Mandarin Hotel

Cairo, Egypt

Upside: The staff is really doing everything they can to help you out. As they don't have a cafeteria you get your breakfast in bed, quite neet. Downside: Situated in a partly abandoned building with mysteriously working elevators. At least some of the rooms accually doesn't have a wall, with just glass parting the room from the outside which is a bit unpractical when trying to keep street noise and winter cold out. And Garden City is a quite dull place - you need to move away to find the fun.

• 2nd Jan 2013

Nefertiti Hotel

Luxor, Egypt

They really messed up our reservation, as they were over booked the first night and had to place us in another hotel (that was really fine, but it forced us to pack and unpack an extra time which was a drag). In addition to this, they also thought that we should check out a day before our reservation ended, and we had to prove to them that our reservation was for four nights. Apart from this, it was a great stay in a nice place.

• 28th Dec 2012

Oonas Dive Club

Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt

Nice place in a really weird resort environment. If you need to go to Sharm, this place is absolutely fine. Guess it's lovely if you're a diver.

• 27th Dec 2012

Coral Coast Hotel

Dahab, Egypt

Great place for taking a break, chilling and relaxing for a while. Nice staff, great breakfast. Excellent location just by the sea front, away from the hustler areas by the bridge.

• 23rd Dec 2012

Bedouin Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

You're met by filthy stairways, but the place is accually quite OK with Egyptian standards. Noise from the very busy street below might keep you up in the night. The "balcony" is behind the bed so need some climbing to reach it, and you get the view over a filthy rooftop. Please note that in the "ensuite" rooms the toilet is in the same room, separated by walls that doesn't stretch the whole way up to the ceiling.

• 21st Dec 2012

12 Monkeys Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

The presentation on hostelworld.com doesn't tell the whole story. There is AC, but not in the double room. It's also quite weird talking about a "24h reception" when in fact you risk losing your room if you're later than 10 PM. With this said, our stay in 12 Monkeys was good, service was personal and good and the people were nice in this ultra small hostel.

• 23rd Jul 2012

Old Town Accommodation

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Very nice place with excellent personal service.

• 22nd Jul 2012

Sydney Hostel Istanbul

Istanbul, Turkey

• 15th Mar 2012

Villa Tayra

Dubrovnik, Croatia

This is a room in a private house. The hosts are really nice and they help you out with everything you need - including giving you a hand written paper with the bus times to the city centre. It's a bit tricky to get there at first before you know the way, though.

• 19th Jul 2011

Silver Gate Hostel

Split, Croatia

Really nice place in the middle of everything and v close to all communications.

• 18th Jul 2011

Chicago Getaway Hostel

Chicago, USA

Friendly staff, clean and nice place, close to the red line subway, I'll return the next time I'm in Chicago.

Thanks for your review. We are happy to hear that we met your expectations on your visit to Chicago! We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Sincerely, Mat Meadows| General Manager

Westend City Hostel

Vienna, Austria

Really nice place, well placed so close to the Westbahnhof. A good base when exploring central Europe.

Litus Roma Hostel

Rome, Italy

A good location if you like to take a few days off by the beach - not as good if you want to be close to the Rome sights, though. But soft place with a good bar and really, really close to the beach. There is an odd smell in the rooms - they provide stuff to spray and take the smell away but it only works for some hours. And during my stay they closed off some parts of the hostel to spray for mosquitoes.

Cityhostel Berlin

Berlin, Germany

Very good location, but very small common areas. Very good breakfast, though!

Grand hostel LerO

Split, Croatia

Very good and personal service, the hostel staff picked me up in the city centre to drive me the (short) way to the hostel and I got fresh eggs as I was there on Easter. No heating in the rooms was a big minus as I was there in the beginning of April.

Caledonian Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

Really nice place. Especially appreciated that they were showing movies for the night owls!

Argyle Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

Very nice livingroom and good kitchen.

OK place, definately worth the price.

Really nice place with a personal touch. Very helpful staff. The rooms are great, the dorms seems a bit shabby as you accually sleep in the breakfast room. I'll recommend it to anyone going to Petra!

Trzy Kafki Plus

Krakow, Poland

Very nice hostel situated in old apartments in a house from the 1920s-30s. Nice rooms and splendid staff - I'll come back to Trzy Kafki Plus!

Maria Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

Very nice and cosy place, I'll definately return when I come back to Budapest.