• England, Male, 25-30
International House of Washington, Washington DC, USA
7.4
19th Oct 2013

This hostel has a lot of character and I think you would either love it or hate it. The staff member (singular) was very friendly but seemed a bit overstretched. The hostel is really just a converted 5 bedroom semi-detached house with extra beds in some of the rooms, so its quite small. Only one bathroom which is a bit inconvenient. It has a small kitchen and pleasant common room area, not massively sociable and definitely not a party hostel (if that's your thing, look elsewhere).

Perhaps we should have pointed it out better to our guests. There are actually 5 bathrooms for guests

• England, Male, 25-30
The Axis on 36th, Philadelphia, USA
26th Aug 2013

This building is also a student halls of residence, so all the rooms are large, private, en suite but are going at a price much cheaper than a hotel. Only downside is its less social than a traditional hostel. It's right next to the UPenn and Drexel campuses, so ideal for visitors to the universities; its also not a bad part of town to stay in if your visiting Philly more broadly. Highly recommended.

• England, Male, 18-24
Capital View, Washington DC, USA
8.0
16th Mar 2011

The facilities, including kitchen, tv room and computers, are very good. The location is convenient, about half an hour's walk from any of the main Washington sights. Perhaps lacked enough toilets as one of them was out of order when I stayed. A very clean hostel and I think that the 'no shoes indoors' policy clearly works!

• England, Male, 18-24
16th Oct 2010

I was very happy with my stay at Shuyuan hostel. The cafe is nice and the adjacent bar is a great place to meet other backpackers and expats in Xi'an. My one complaint was that the airport transfer I'd asked for never materialised (and judging by a conversation I overheard I don't think I was only one who had this problem).

• England,
Brunei Hotel, Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
8.7
22nd Nov 2009

I usually stay at hostels but in Brunei I splashed out on a night at the Brunei Hotel. It was well worth it. The staff were friendly the room was great and the inclusive breakfast buffet was a big bonus for someone with a large appetite like me! The location, so close to the bus station, was perfect.