Reykjavik Hostel Village, Reykjavik, Iceland
18th Oct 2016

Cambie Hostel - Seymour, Vancouver, Canada
5.1
30th May 2016

Absolutely awful! I have stayed in hostel in all 5 continents and this was the second worst of all (the worst was in the Free State in South Africa). I booked for 7 nights, but checked out after the first. I am ex-military, so I have been used to 'roughing it', but this place takes the biscuit. The room was little more than a box with two basic bunk beds, There was a very small circular table in the corner and a mirror on the wall; nothing elase - except a vermin / mouse poison box in the corner

Chester Backpackers, Chester, England
5.4
10th Apr 2013

No one to meet my arrival; I phoned the duty manager on the number shown on the front door. He gave me the access code and told me that my room key was in the lock (I booked a private en suite). The bedroom and shower room were totally enclosed in the building, with no window and no access to fresh air!! Next morning I was checking out, but there were no staff in the building. I had to phone the manager again. He asked me to put £20 under the office door with the room key.Good job I had a phone!

We are a 2 star hostel NOT a 5 star hotel. That room is fantastic for the £22.50 you paid for it and a dorm bed in a YHA would cost you significantly MORE ! Its is freshly decorated, has a TV and DVD player, free wifi, memory foam mattress and lots of pillows!

The Bellavista Hostel, Santiago, Chile
16th Oct 2008

I stayed in the annexe next door to the main hostel. The 2 downstairs bathrooms must qualify for the Guiness book of records as the world�s smallest - extractor fan doesn�t work and there is nowhere to hang clothes / towel.

Taaroa Lodge, Tahiti, French Polynesia
8.0
5th Oct 2008

The owner Ralph is the friendliest guy you'll ever meet. He is also very knowledgeable about all aspects of activities in Tahiti. Be aware, that an extra 5% is added to the accommodation cost to cover taxes; this should be explained at the time of booking!

Backpackers International, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
24th Sep 2008

The family who live on, and run the place, are very, very friendly and have lots of advice and info to give - if you need it. The facilities are quite basic, but adequate.

Yellow House Hotel aka Nga Hoang, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
6.0
1st Apr 2008

Tucked up a narrow residential alleyway, so don't expect too much light / fresh air, although it is very handy for everything in the tourists' quarter. Most of the neighbours seem to have small dogs which 'yap' at all hours of the day / evening.

100 Cintra Street, Penang, Malaysia
3.7
4th Mar 2008

If you don't want any sleep at night, then 100 Cintra Street is the place for you!! The place is dank, dismal, dark and dowdy. Quite appropriate, therefore, that it adjoins a large Chinese funeral parlour. The 'rooms' are basically steel & wooden framed cages with a padlock. Dorm beds are just placed in an alcove on the first floor landing. There are 2 toilet/showers which could do with a good coat of paint and bleach.Bring your own toilet paper and sink plug. I originally booked in for 3 nights in a single room. However, the first night (Saturday) there was a constant 'boom. boom' noise from a nearby dance club that lasted until 4am. That was followed at 6am by a Mullah calling the faithful to prayer. Believing it to be just a weekend thing, I stayed a seconnd night to have the same dance music, until well past 2am. Also, there were several young men from Singapore, whom I doubt were bona fide 'travellers.They were talking amonst themselves until after 2am. The Singapore conference resumed at 6am!! After 2 nights of the sleep deprivation course I had had enough! I checked out and moved on. It did though illustrate one of the basic principles of economics; you get what you pay for. I will never return.

Ringos Foyer Guest House, Melaka, Malaysia
28th Feb 2008

A very friendly atmosphere with all of the basics, including a nice sunroof with clothes washing facility. The manager Raymond is a mine of information on Malacca and he knows all of the places to eat / drink, etc, at the best prices.

Zebra Crossing, Cape Town, South Africa
31st Oct 2007

The hostel had it all for me. I met some great people; the staff were friendly and VERY helpful. Being one of the (slightly) older generation, I paticularly liked the lounge areas where you could find tranquility - if that's what you wanted ! I would certainly recommend it.