Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 42

HI-Baltimore Hostel

Baltimore, USA

The hostel is located in a historical building right in the middle of everything, The staff is awesome. One thing to improve is that it was hard to figure out how to make the water in the shower hot. Well, I only stayed one day and had no chance to ask. My experience was great, met a few interesting travelers too.

Smile Hostel

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia

Very good except for the spoiled view from the window ( bad looking garbage containers in the inner patio)

Little Hanoi Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

I came for a few days, but ended up staying for a few weeks and telecommuting. It is in the middle of the old town, very clean, the staff is taking is seriously and doing everything to please the guests. There is an excellent free breakfast, and cheap tasty food at the restaurants/juice-bars downstairs and across the road. Free fruits/tea/coffee at any time. WiFi is very high speed and multiple connection points. Good hot shower with bathtub, clean room,TV, good A/C, nice design. Loved it!

Sihome Backpackers Hostel

Vientiane, Laos

A great place to stay, thanks for the helpful English speaking staff. Local staff is trying, but many times wrong about what's asked for. I didn't get why they don't just get toasters and a boiler,but prefer to serve coffee and toasts for breakfast individually. Maybe, they like to lose calories to stay fit. Sitting on a high chair and low table with a laptop below my ass level was not comfortable. WiFi coverage is good, but WiFi had issues sometimes. Great movie set. Overall, very good.

Smile Society

Bangkok, Thailand

I had a great stay there. The location is really strategic, both MRT and BTS are within a walking distance, at the same time, both the central train station and the river pier to go to the Grand Palace and the sightseeing areas is also 2 stops away. I think, the best location out of where I stayed in BKK so far. This said, there are plenty of shopping and dining options around, and also a few night-clubs and bars which I have not visited though. Clean rooms, lockers, shampoo in the shower. Good.

A very good supportive place. The owner is a great man, shared lots of helpful information on the local life and ways to get around on budget, what to see etc. The place is shared by both short and long term stayers. The free broadband WiFi is rare in Melbourne and very nice to have. Good value for money. All the adapters etc were available. Staff cared about making my travel experiences good. The room was a bit cold, but I asked for another blanket, and slept well all 3 nights.

Ponsonby Backpackers

Auckland, New Zealand

Blarneys Rock Backpackers

Rotorua, New Zealand

I wish I could stay longer

YHA Wellington City

Wellington, New Zealand

Likes: Staff , lots of options what to do, many cool people, large common areas, supermarket across the street. Dislikes: The linen did not look clean. Lockers cost money.

Ponsonby Backpackers

Auckland, New Zealand

Vintage Travel & Hostel

Taipei, Taiwan

Honestly, I was a bit shocked. I expected a good looking property given the price and reviews. But it's just an old apartment with two tiny dorm rooms with 4 beds no windows. Is it an old historical place? to me, looked just as an old apartment. Old shower, old kitchen, old everything. No street sign, difficult to find...almost nobody there. quite depressing. I only had 2 days in Taipei. Sadly, I stayed there. The people who work there are nice and helpful though.

CheQinn

Bangkok, Thailand

I had this feeling that staff only wanted to make money on me... common area is not closed. It was hot and the bugs there were very annoying. The room is small but looks very clean, A/C in the room was good. I could not make the water hot in the shower. Staff was rude once in a while. I will probably avoid staying there next time.

Everything was excellent. Thank you so much, dear hostel staff !

The beds are covered with plastic material which makes a lot of noise and is unpleasant to sleep on. The location might be a bit remote. However, good value given nothing else is available in the area.

Duo Housing Los Angeles

Los Angeles, USA

hot water problems in the morning. the water is cold sometimes! come on guys, buy heaters, they are cheap good otherwise.

Fantastic staff, clean hostel, great location not far away from the museum district. I liked this place very much. Thank you, dear staff members, for excellent stay. Visitors: please pay attention: downtown has safety issues.

Duo Housing Los Angeles

Los Angeles, USA

Pros: It's a big welcoming house with very nice hosts Cons: Showers are cold sometimes, it was the worst issue for me. Also, there are many restrooms, but they are hidden inside the rooms or behind the house. Staff should let people know that there are other restrooms/showers in the back of the house

Samesun Venice Beach

Los Angeles, USA

pros : It's close to a beautiful beach it's cheap cons: smell in the room no lockers no bike parking no breakfast very few showers

Adelaide Hostel and Hotel

San Francisco, USA

Everything excellent

Excellent hostel, nice free breakfast in the morning, great staff, movies, common area.

Five Elements Hostel Frankfurt

Frankfurt, Germany

Pathpoint Cologne

Cologne, Germany

CONS Typing 20 characters as a wifi login/password on my iphone was quite annoying. I had to do it three times to get online. This is ridiculous and unnecessary. You are getting a login for 3 days only and then it is disabled. What is it, a bank? also, 10 euro/day for a bike with no shorter options does NOT sound like a good deal. Go rent from the train station for half the price and more flexibility.

Generator Hostel Hamburg

Hamburg, Germany

I forgot my iphone at the reception and got it back from a staff member two hours later. I needed to make a reservation and staff kindly helped. I needed a SIM card and they helped me with an advice. Staff is doing an excellent job! Of course, it's not a small hostel, they have a lot of people to take care of. Despite that, some people complain. Overall, the hostel is an excellent place to stay. the people who complain about staff or that the toilet room is too small sound funny/unreasonabl.

Woodah Hostel

Copenhagen, Denmark

Cons: Indeed like someone noticed there are weird looking people hanging out in the area, but the hostel is fine. No kitchen Pros: Breakfast with organic things yoga lesson close to the central station, staff is nice good free WiFi

The Purple Goblin

Tallinn, Estonia

It's a clean apartment, there is a kitchen and an elevator; the manager lives there and can address any of your needs promptly. Free coffee, eggs, and bread in the morning are nice. Close to the Old town and a restaurant complex with a cheap supermarket. Hosts organize activities, but they are from the UK and don't really know the city well yet. The lockers are kind of small. Happily, it wasn't a wild party place, it was easy to meet & talk to travelers of different ages and share experiences.

This one is a rare gem. It is managed by three beautiful supermodels, who are also excellent speakers. The design is a bit "girly", but looks very nice to me too. It is conveniently located within a walking distance from the train/bus station and supermarkets, and very close to the Old Town etc. very clean and nice.WiFi is excellent, a nice kitchen, everything is clean; there is no breakfast, but many food options around.

Fest Hostel

Warsaw, Poland

It's a new hostel, in fact, it was only partially full when I stayed there because it's not very well known yet. Everything was excellent, the owner is very successful in making it an excellent place to stay. It's a large, bright, and clean multi-room apartment, the building has an elevator, and is close to the central street. Excellent free WiFi, excellent free breakfast. I previously stayed in a high rated property in Warsaw, but this place is much better. Good for girls too.

Mosquito Hostel

Krakow, Poland

Free local food tasting at nights was a good experience The girls who work there are doing a really good job answering questions and providing advice. Lots of organized trips out for those who like bars (not me though) It was packed when I stayed there. The one thing I disliked is that people leave their stuff all over the place, and the place is not such a big one.

Mleczarnia Hostel

Wroclaw, Poland

Just minutes from everything you want, very quiet, but a good bar and restaurant just downstairs, the internet connection would go down occasionally, but there was another one from the bar available, free laundry is nice, lots and lots of space is great; when I stayed there, the room was half empty. Seems like a great value for the money. No breakfast, but the tea and coffee are free. Very clean and convenient. I walked there from the train station, not too far away, about 15-20 minutes.

Kangaroo-Stop

Dresden, Germany

I liked a lot of free space, large common areas, a nice clean kitchen, and the location (very close to the train station, but quiet, and a short walk to the historical areas) The Internet policy (Three hours for free and 1EURO for the next 3hours ) is also reasonable.

Hostel Strowis

Utrecht, Netherlands

I had an excellent stay. I would like to thank Juun, a staff member from Spain, for his work. The hostel is located in a historical building, a walking distance to everything, close to two supermarkets. The free WiFI connection is excellent and very fast. The ability to rent a bike is great, I went to the castle and it was indeed a beautiful one. Nice outdoor patio. cons: 1. the breakfast is a bit expensive (7.50), but the supermarket is nearby 2. the kitchen is closed till noon.

The Dictionary, Shoreditch

This is the second time I stayed. Something improved ( hooks in the bathroom ) However, still the same trouble with WiFi. The Internet was super slow :( and I ended up shutting down my computer and going to bed. Happily, I made my bookings before.

I am so sorry! We have now ordered a THIRD line - can you believe it. And things take so long when it comes to utilities companies, but it turns out that since we're so generous with our free wi-fi :-) we haven't enough bandwidth to support more than 8 laptops/computers between the two internet lines. Now that we've worked that out, we've ordered more lines and will hopefully be able to have uninterrupted internet for all our guests very soon. Thank you for your lovely comments. Hope to see you soon again :-) All of us at The Dictionary

Belfast City Backpacker

Belfast, Northern Ireland

It's a private house, the internet is fast, a big TV, there is a big and clean kitchen, a reasonable size common area, very nice and helpful staff. A quiet place. A bit far from the city center, otherwise perfect

Vagabonds

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Enjoyed my stay very much. Thank you, Jerry, for the five star experience! The Internet is a bit slower than expected from a 100% property. The internet is an important tool for travelers. Everything else is excellent.

Everything is good, but I really disliked that there was no hot water in the kitchen. How are people supposed to wash the dishes? A big warning to travelers : if you want to stay healthy, carry your own dishes and cups to such places.

Kinlay Eyre Square Hostel

Galway, Ireland

Guys, please oil the squeaky doors! Otherwise, I loved the place. It's like a museum itself, has everything you want, and is centrally located.

Sky Backpackers

Dublin, Ireland

Well... the smell in the corridor on the 2nd floor... gosh, shame on you! You guys need to take care of that. It smells like somebody peed on the carpet etc, and it's NOT ventilated. Also, in the room where I stayed, god! The window was wide open all the time, but STILL it smelled horrible, like somebody threw up or something. Not good. By the end of the last night I seriously wanted out of this place asap. Can't complain about staff , excellent service. but NOT clean, no good.

Definitely a great value for money. Excellent WiFi, big common areas, a projector, excellent free breakfast, linen is very clean. When I arrived I was served by Alen, very satisfied, excellent service. Other staff members also provided five star experience - thank you, all ! cons: one shower per room and no showers outside the room. room ventilation could be better.

The Dictionary, Shoreditch

Pros: location, polite staff, the places looks new, price is reasonable, steel luggage crates Cons: -I couldn't see the hostel sign from the street, had to guess that "translate" is close enough to t"the dictionary", so it may be hard to find for some people. I had no problem. - A drunk guy entered the room guided by a staff member in the middle of the night. he later peed in the corner of the room and threw up somewhere else. No offense, but he had to get his own room ok?

High Street Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

A fabulous experience, close to everything you want to see, excellent staff, good cooking facilities. I had to deal with Nino and would like to mention her excellent work and problem solving abilities, thank you very much Nino! Cons: the Internet connection should be more reliable.

Hatters at Hilton Chambers

Manchester, England

Embassie Liverpool Backpackers

Liverpool, England

An excellent place to stay. Staff will do their best to make you feel good about your stay there.

London365 Hostel

there are some cameras around, but the staff is usually not on premises. some travelers do whatever they want because nobody's watching, and the staff knows only if somebody reports problems. while the common areas are periodically cleaned the rooms themselves could smell rotten eggs and nobody will look in the room fridges for weeks. Overall, I would stay again, i know it's a recent business and they just need more time to make it better.

Shelter Jordan

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Pros: Easy commute from the central station ( walking or by tram ) Big common area / restaurant free wifi Cons: I kind of felt the indifference of most of the staff, "my pay is not enough to even talk to you" Free map was not given doesn't really look clean it has nothing to do with Christianity other than telling you that you are not supposed to smoke pot there my digital camera was stolen and the hotel staff was acting like "yeah, this happens every day over here, yawn"

New World St. Hostel

Warsaw, Poland

It's well located and close to the bus stop, the staff is nice, and even a 3 floor span without elevator is ok because there are many encouraging messages on the way :) the first two floors below the hostel look quite bad, but the hostel itself is fine. I got bad stomach aches, so pay attention when you buy your food outside and only drink good water. The staff is great.

Hostel Mango

Prague, Czech Republic

The location is outstanding, if you are in Prague, you can't wish for a better place. You don't even need to spend money for the transportation, it's so in the middle of everything. The staff at the reception speaks a few languages and provides great travel advice.

Hostel Ruthensteiner Vienna

Vienna, Austria

Excellent value for the money!

Good clean high quality hostel. Nothing to complain about.

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

Everything super good! I had to wait for the restroom sometimes, but later discovered there are public restrooms on the first floor. A free drink on arrival and a buffet breakfast in the morning made it perfect. Super good staff, all people I talked to provided a five star service Likes: Everything Dislikes: Not directly related to the hostel , but beware: the "free" tour with a required payment of 10 euros .... 10 euro is not FREE, and required payment is NOT the same as a donation.

Hi from Munich! Thanks heaps for the compliments! We'll talk to the tour guide about that fact. He's not directly related to us but he does provide a service to our customers. And we always want to make sure that our guests are happy. Thanks for the hint! All the best for your journey onwards!

Funny Palace Hostel

Rome, Italy

I would like to thank Johnny for welcoming us and an excellent intro to the city as well as helping out with planning the sightseeing given the available time. I got the city map and the detailed directions on how to get to each site, and this made my visit to Rome very effective and enjoyable. The place is a 5 star value for a traveller and explorer. It was very close to the train station and easy to find (the hostelworld map isnt right, use the written directions)

Equity Point London

cons: credit cards not accepted, wifi is not free and is quite expensive pros: everything other than cons is excellent. Andrew at the reception provides an excellent service.

Equity Point London

Just like others said, it's soooo outdated and unpleasant having to pay for WiFi... and credit cards couldn't be accepted strangely... Other than that, it's an excellent place to stay. Breakfast was nice. I would like to thank Andrew at the reception who is very good knowledgeable and helpful. He provided excellent travel tips and advice, this made me want to stay longer and come there again. Hostel owners should reward and promote people like him.

Betel Box Backpacker Hostel

Pillows & Toast

Singapore, Singapore

I'm giving 100% because Ming who works at the reception is absolutely the best :) I also liked their free toasts with coconut jam spread in the morning.

Fernloft City (Chinatown)

Singapore, Singapore

No airport shuttle, it's BS, excuse me. I was told to take a bus from the airport for a refund, but there was no bus from the airport on that day due to some event. I had to take the subway and circled a lot before I could find the place. no refund either. The host was a nice woman, however. She lives there in the dorm herself too, and ensures that the visitors are satisfied.

Jomtien Hostel

Pattaya, Thailand

NapPark Hostel at Khao San

Bangkok, Thailand

Absolutely the best value hostel. Close to the most popular tourism spots in BKK and Khao San Road with everything you need, helpful staff, an excellent opportunity to meet other travellers and make travel plans. One disadvantage: it's usually fully booked for the next few days, you need to reserve at least a few days ahead.

Very helpful and knowledgeable staff. The building is kind of old, but the location is close to the cheapest street shopping area I know of. Also, I was told that it's a good nightlife area too for those who are into this.

2 blocks east of here is a kind of "Night-life" you have never imagined. Yes street shopping is cheapish here, specially compared to khao san rd, But I know of other markets that are even cheaper in bangkok, changes depending on what day it is. If shopping is your interest let me know what you want. soi1david

Bodega Phuket

Phuket, Thailand

Everything great. One turnoff : the staff told us they have a discount for tours, so if we book via the hotel we'll get it much cheaper than other places. But when we talked to the other people during the trip, it turned out we paid more than everybody else.

Lub d Bangkok Siam Square

Bangkok, Thailand

Good overall! excellent staff, very clean, near a few big malls and the train station two concerns: inconvenient wifi usage (with userid and password everytime) , my connection kept dropping for some reason all the time, and I had to go to True Cafe to use WiFi there (it was mostly ok for other users, probably, specific to my computer type) the place is near a highway, a bit noisy

I stayed there only for two days. Finding them was a bit difficult for the taxi driver, make sure you print good directions. The staff is very helpful and polite. While I stayed there there was a free party with delicious traditional Chinese food. They also helped me to reserve a Great Wall tour and recommended a set of good places to visit. As an improvement, I would recommend to post more information useful for tourists, so that people don't have to ask again and again. Also, it would help if the sights

Dear guest, thanks a lot for you nice review with helpful suggestion and kind rating as well! As you recommend, we will lately put more useful information in our document for the tourists. But any time we are glad to answer any questions of our guests. Thanks again for staying, and wish we could see you again some day in the future! - Shel, Chinese Box