Location: Australia, Gender: Female, Age: 36

The rooms are small, the bathrooms tiny, the walls thin, one staff member was unfriendly and unhelpful. The kitchen is chaos at breakfast time. The quiet time is not enforced. The powerpoints are in the hallway so the noise outside the rooms is always a problem.

• 5th Aug 2013

City Hostel Seattle

Seattle, USA

I think the hostel could be even better if they organised more things for guests...the only event while there was a pub crawl. Also, although the staff were friendly, some of the information I got was not correct and I found that they weren't super keen to help out with information about things to do.

• 30th Jul 2013

• 22nd Jul 2013

Bahaus Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

The staff were helpful, the breakfast was ok, the rooftop terrace was great, there were enough bathrooms. My only issues was with the bar ...the music was extremely loud and the door kept banging all night long...and with the door to the dorm being so close it was impossible to sleep. But when I asked to be moved, I was helped straight away.

• 21st May 2013

Hedonist Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

The staff are amazing and friendly. Had a lovely stay. The location is great. Have already recommended it to others!

• 18th May 2013

Hobo Bear Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

Great location, friendly staff, clean. The 8 bed dorm was a little squashy though. And not a lot of showers but it wasn't an issue when we were there.

• 17th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

This hostel was awesome! We booked 2 nights and stayed 5. Maria and Ivan were amazing and helpful hosts, the room was clean and came with an ensuite and kitchenette. The terrace was always a great place to chill out or socialise. Nightly drinks bring everyone together and then they take you down to town to experience the bars/nightlife. There was also a free BBQ one night with so much food!!! The location is perfect!

• 11th May 2013

CroParadise Blue Hostel

Split, Croatia

Great hostel. Good location, friendly and helpful staff, clean and well maintained. The common area is a bit small and the kitchen is nothing you can prepare a meal in, but why would you need to in Split when there are amazing markets around the corner! There is only one shower each for males and females which in peak season could get tricky but was not an issue at the time of year we stayed. It's a great place to stay and certainly value for money!

• 10th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

Great hostel, wonderful location. We didn't have the breakfast at the hostel but it looked amazing for the price. The staff were super friendly and helpful. Will stay there again if I am ever back in Vienna.

• 3rd May 2013

Five Elements Hostel Frankfurt

Frankfurt, Germany

Great place to stay. Staff were helpful and friendly. The breakfast was awesome. The rooms clean and big. The kitchen is a little small but functional. Being in the red light district was no issue at all. Would definitely stay there again :)

• 28th Apr 2013

MEININGER Frankfurt/Main Messe

Frankfurt, Germany

This hostel was more like a hotel. The room was great, the place was clean, the beds comfortable. However, it is a bit of a walk to the city centre, there is nothing else around there and I thought the price was way too high considering its location. The price doesn't include breakfast....which for what I paid I think it should have. I didn't have the all you can eat buffet breakfast but I did have a look....again, I think a little overpriced but it did look nice.

• 26th Apr 2013

Five Elements Hostel Frankfurt

Frankfurt, Germany

This hostel was great. The rooms, the communal areas, the staff, the breakfast, the location (or rather proximity to everything) were all really good. Yes, it's in the red light district but there were no issues and at no time did I feel unsafe. They could probably have a couple more showers per floor, but the ones they had were really good! The beds were so comfortable. There were also a lot of activities run by the hostel (though I did not join them because I had other plans).

• 25th Apr 2013

Birmingham Central Backpackers

Birmingham, England

The hostel is a bit of a walk from the city centre. The 8 bed dorm really should have only been a six...they put in an extra bunk randomly in the middle of the room. And it is kind of odd to have a shower in the room...not a bathroom but just a shower. Breakfast was just toast and fruit, better than nothing but some cereal would be nice. The communal kitchen is very small.

• 18th Apr 2013

MEININGER Salzburg City Center

Salzburg, Austria

The hostel is a little out of the city centre, despite its name. But the staff were friendly, the place clean, the beds comfortable, the room was big, the ensuite good. Handy that there are supermarkets close by and a kitchen to use (though a little small).

• 11th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hello! Thank you for your comment! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the small issue with the location. We would be pleased to welcome you again here in Salzburg or in any of our other hotels! Best wishes Your MEININGER Salzburg Team

Beds need updating. Not sure how hard it is to find sheets that fit, but would have been nice if it had covered the mattress. The cleaner didn't really clean the room while I was there. Although the bathrooms had been cleaned s few times, the toilet paper wasn't replaced until I asked. The location is ok.

• 3rd Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

We are sorry that you haven´t been satisfied with our beds and sheets. It is usual that the sheet don´t cover the space under the pillow. Our chamber-maid is doing her job very responsibly. You have stayed for three nights in a fully occupied dormitory and it is kind of hard to clean up every corner if there is stuff of the guests spread all over the room. We are controlling the restrooms 7 times a day, but even so it can happen that there is sometimes the paper gone. You have asked and the paper has been replaced immediately, so I think everything is working perfectly. Well and our location is not only ok, it is great :) We hope to see you some other time and we hope we can make you happier...

Hostel One Prague

• 22nd Mar 2013

• 18th Mar 2013

Shoestrings Airport Lodge

Johannesburg, South Africa

The only benefit this hostel has is its proximity to the airport. It's run down, not very clean, not very good facilities. It does have breakfast included which is handy and the owner will do airport transfers which is great. It could be so much more if given a bit of tlc. The restaurant at the Protea hotel is great if you need a good meal but there is nothing else around otherwise.

• 28th Feb 2013

Hermanus Backpackers

Hermanus, South Africa

Lovely staff, great location.

• 4th Dec 2012

Wild Spirit Lodge

Plettenberg Bay, South Africa

Great hostel. Lovely staff. AMAZING food!!!!

• 2nd Dec 2012

Island Vibe Port Elizabeth

Port Elizabeth, South Africa

No lockers. Not enough bathrooms (and one was horribly mouldy). No real atmosphere and not near anything other than the beach. Staff not terribly helpful.

• 26th Nov 2012

Amakaya Backpacker Hostel

Plettenberg Bay, South Africa

Not much atmosphere. Way too over priced for what it was. Staff were good though.

• 23rd Nov 2012
  • Globetrotter

Hello Alcinda Thanks for your review. I am sorry to see that you were dissapointed with you stay with us. Often the atmoshere in a backpacker depends on all the people in at the time. With regards to the pricing, your stay with us co-incided with the annual 'Matric Rage' festival for school leavers. At this time we are usually fully booked with students who have just finished school - but usually mainly from 24 Nov - 8 December. At this time our rates are a lot higher than usual because of all the extra arrangements that are needed for this time. Usually the dorm you were in is R150.00 per night and reverts to this price from 9 Dec 2012. For some reason I cannot find your reservation nor payment on our booking system nor receipt book, but do find your details in our Guest Register so do know that you checked in. Can you remember who checked you in and out and who you paid? I need to follow up on this. If you are still in SA and have a contact number please let me have it so I can talk to you or you can contact me on my mobile 083 419 7533. Thanks Dave Swart Can you remember who checked you in

The Backpack

Cape Town, South Africa

The best hostel I have ever stayed in (and I have stayed in many!!!). The staff are friendly, helpful and just amazing people. The hostel is kept immaculate. It honestly feels like home. The facilities are great (though an extra sharp knife in the kitchen might be nice for those cooking their own meals). The location is fantastic and the travel desk can help you with anything you need!

• 14th Nov 2012

The Garden Backpacker

Seville, Spain

The staff here are amazing, I truly felt like this was my home during my stay. The location is perfect.

• 8th Nov 2012

Granada Inn Backpackers

Granada, Spain

• 6th Nov 2012

360 Hostel Centro

Madrid, Spain

Great hostel, lots of organised activities and friendly staff. The only thing I wasn´t a fan of was that you had to walk through reception to get to the bathrooms which is awkward when in your pj´s! But not such a big deal :)

• 3rd Nov 2012

La Casa Del Sol

Marrakech, Morocco

The rooms face into the middle of the building where the noise from down below carries, also the cigarette smokes carries into the rooms which is unpleasant as a non smoker. No fresh air gets into the room at all.

• 19th Oct 2012

Yesinn @CAUSEWAY BAY

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Not enough bathrooms for such large rooms and not cleaned often enough for the use they get.

• 12th Oct 2012

Walk On The Beach Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

• 29th Aug 2012
  • Globetrotter

Had a great time. Felt like home.

• 16th Aug 2012

Hostel Portobelo

Portobelo, Panama

No water (also no working toilets) when it rains. Electricity off for hours with no communication to guests about the situation.

• 29th Jul 2012

Mamallena Backpackers

Panama City, Panama

no hot water?!?!?!?! no milk for the free tea and coffee. Pancakes for breakfast ok, but variety would be nice. no first aid kit (someone had a glass window fall on their arm and was hurt seriously and staff had nothing to aid with...nor did they seem too concerned). Rooms OVER air conditioned to the point of freezing!!

• 23rd Jul 2012
  • Globetrotter

Sorry you felt this way about your stay with us. Yes your right like most Hostels here in Panama we do not have hot water. Most people enjoy the refreshing cold shower with the city being so hot 24/7. We do not offer free milk but we sell it at a reasonable price, or you can buy it 1 minute walk from the hostel in a local tienda. We advertise a free pancake breakfast, I would suggest if you want variety you stay in a hotel with breakfast menu. I will look into the incident with the window and make sure we do have a first aid kit available. The AC works at night and is at a reasonable level, if we turn it down people complain it is too hot, we have sheets and blankets for guests who find it too cold, all you had to do was ask. Surprised you stayed with us for three extra nights on top of your HW booking if it was so bad. We would have been happy to point out some local hotels that would have suited you better.

Hotel DLido

Managua, Nicaragua

This hotel is far from everything. The room was good and the staff lovely and all I needed was a place to sleep before an early bus in the morning. But if you want to be close to anything in Managua, this is not the place to stay. I think I was the only guest there, which is why there was no atmosphere or character. It's a shame because the hotel itself was good and the staff friendly and helpful.

• 6th Jul 2012

Hostal Mochilas

Granada, Nicaragua

The sheets don't fit the mattress so you roll over and the whole thing comes off. They didn't empty the bin in the toilet throughout my stay. I paid for a private room however the wall adjoined with a dorm room and the wall didn't reach the roof so all the noise came through. They did move me to another room upon request however the noise from an bar a few doors down carried through all night!! It said breakfast included but it was not. The only good thing about this place was the location.

• 4th Jul 2012

Monteverde Backpackers

Monteverde, Costa Rica

Very small and cramped hostel but its in a great location. The breakfast is nothing to get excited about. Staff were helpful with information about activities.

• 1st Jul 2012

The Secret Garden Quito

Quito, Ecuador

• 23rd May 2012
  • Globetrotter

The staff were rude, unfriendly, unhelpful and were more concerned with drinking and socialising with guests than actually doing their job. One person told me breakfast as 8-10am and another said 7-10am. When we were getting picked up at 8am for a tour I was guaranteed breakfast would be available before we left, it was not. The only other issue was that due to the rooms opening onto the courtyard and the reception area, it got noisy, sometimes VERY noisy and guests were considered.

• 20th Mar 2012
  • Globetrotter

HI!!, thanks for your feedback. Just wanted to add, that all rules and general items are written in all the hostels, even in The noisy room. Actually you signed at your check in accepting the rules you saw. And about the kids in reception, well sorry, we are gonna work harder for selecting hard workers professionals PEace PIH

Hostel Lao

Mendoza, Argentina

Breakfast left a little to be desired but that is the only thing that I think can be improved on.

• 16th Mar 2012
  • Globetrotter

Hola! I really can not believe this comment. I have just returned from holiday and stayed in several Argentine hostels. The norm for breaky was 2 sweet cakes and nescafe, served 8-10. Here you get cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruits, fresh real juice, real coffee, variety of teas, homemade jams, 2/3 types of Argentine pastries, bread and toaster, and occasionally pancakes or fruit salad; all served 7-12. There is no way we can improve on this unless you want to start paying double and to be honest I have seen that our breaky is above and beyond so it´s not an area we are even thinking about improving. Safe Travels.

Hostel Estoril

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The staff are great, the rooms fantastic, the location perfect, the internet working, the breakfast yummy, the rooftop terrace lovely...I could go on.

• 12th Mar 2012