Nomads Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

Usually nomads are a fail safe good standards type place but my dorm wasn't great, not air conditioned and with the windows open you have the busy nightlife to keep you awake. The staff weren't the friendliest either in fact pretty rude! The tours place downstairs were nice though. Location is pretty handy aswell for boat trips and getting to and from the airport using the public buses.

• 20th Dec 2013
  • Northern Ireland

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you experienced our staff as rude and not friendly. We drive to give the best customer service possible and for that reason I would like to know a little bit more about your experience and what staff member in particular you dealt with. Please forward me any details to nadine@nomadsworld.com Thanks, Nomads Auckland Management

Jailhouse Accommodation

Christchurch, New Zealand

This is a nice, something different type experience! The hostel facilities are all fine and everything is clean. There are number of nice bars on the same street . The staff were brilliant with directions, things to do, letting me use their phone etc. I had lost my mobile and they were still in touch after I left to help me follow it up. It's a little out of Christchurch centre but I was Initially coming from trans alpine train and the hostel is within walking distance from the station.

• 18th Dec 2013

YHA Franz Josef

Franz Josef, New Zealand

I really enjoyed my stay here. The facilities were all clean and well kept. Love the sauna! There was a nice sense of trust and general hosteling attitude. Most people are here for hiking so not a party hostel but I did find it easy to meet people to chat with and have a drink or two. The staff were brilliant, I couldn't fault them. Shame that wifi wasn't free but that's my only complaint.

• 16th Dec 2013

Adventure Queenstown Hostel

Queenstown, New Zealand

This hostel has really nice dorms and decent facilities which are all pretty clean and well kept. Unfortunately I found the staff a bit difficult. At first they were so friendly, to the point of being cringeworthy and not very genuine, and the next thing we were being thrown out of the kitchen at 10.50pm, I had half a glass of wine left and was made to either down it or chuck it out. I understand no noise and no alcohol rules but it was just a little abrupt and not very friendly.

• 14th Dec 2013
  • Northern Ireland

It's great you thought our facilities were nice and staff perhaps even too friendly. Our kitchen/dining area is locked off at 11pm to prevent late night noise. We have a lounge area that is open 24 hours you may use provided it remains quiet late at night. Staff have a sometimes difficult job of rounding up everyone to head out into Queenstown's vibrant nightlife at 11pm, especially in the festive season. We hope guests understand we're here to look after everyone, not just the party goers.

Fish Tank Lodge

Kaikoura, New Zealand

I really loved this little hostel! It is the nakedbus stop which is always handy! The staff were really helpful, letting me dump my bag without checking in to run to my whale watch tour. When I did check in they spent plenty of time chatting to me showing me what was what. Generally had a nice feel to it with everyone chatting in the kitchen and living room, everything was clean enough and decent facilities, wish I had been able to stay longer.

• 7th Dec 2013

YMCA Christchurch

Christchurch, New Zealand

I choose to stay here for 1 night based on the fact that there was a 24 hour reception and that it was so close to the nakedbus stop. It had more of a feel of a budget hotel than a hostel. The shared bathroom was not clean at all and I did see a lot of workmen around so again not so much a hostel feel. The guy on reception though was very nice and printed my bus ticket free of charge and gave me directions.

• 6th Dec 2013
  • Northern Ireland

I stayed here for only 1 night with no complaints, the hostel in general seemed clean and well kept. I arrived very early in the morning and was able to store my luggage for free. My friend was meeting me here but hadn't pre-booked, the guy on reception was nice enough to move me into a room with spare beds so that when she checked in we'd end up in the same dorm. I did see that you had to pay a deposit for plates, cutlery etc which is disappointing and kind of against the nature of hosteling.

• 5th Dec 2013
  • Northern Ireland

Hey there, thanks for leaving your feedback. I'm very happy that reception were able to help you out with you and yours friends booking. We ask guests to pay a deposit for cutlery simply so that every guest has cutlery to use, nothing worse then all the forks going missing and only having two left in the hostel. I have had this experience personally haha. Thanks again and safe travels :-)

Nomads Byron Bay

Byron Bay, Australia

All the facilities and everything kept pretty clean even if a bit generic. I. Only stayed 1 night but managed to have a great time owing to the people I met in my dorm. Staff were really nice letting me phone to sort my bus out after I had checked out and also not getting annoyed that I was a little late. Stayed in main beach hostel the next night as nomads was full. It was a smaller hostel and felt a bit more relaxed but facilities were awful, not clean, no a/c, terrible bathrooms! Not worth it

• 28th Nov 2013

Wake Up! Sydney Central

Sydney, Australia

This hostel is massive and I did find it made it a lot harder for solo travellers. The free tours were a great way to meet people and the main reason I choose the hostel. All facilities are well kept except the club which is like a run down students union. The staff were for the most part painfully nice but we found a notice on our dorm door saying we had to move rooms by 10am the next day no please or thank you, moving rooms is not unheard of in hostels but manners don't cost anything.

• 24th Nov 2013

Dorm.no Bergen

Bergen, Norway

I stayed at here as Marken Gjesthus was fully booked on my final night. Dorm.no is fine, basically a house with a few tables and a kitchen downstairs and then 12 bunk beds upstairs with one shower (this can be a problem in the morning). There is no reception at all which is fine unless you have any problems. Marken Gjesthus on the other hand has a bit more of a friendly atmosphere larger kitchen, sitting areas and plenty of showers. Dorm.no suits groups or those wanting to keep to themselves.

• 21st Sep 2012

Babia Hostel Centro

Malaga, Spain

Only stayed one night, it was a stopover on my way to Malaga airport. I had to pay for a taxi from the bus station to the hostel which cost around 8 euros but getting to the airport bus stop the next morning was only a 5min walk. From what I saw this hostel looked like a good fun place to explore malaga.

• 24th Mar 2011
  • Northern Ireland

I stayed in a 12 bed dorm for a week. Its a lovely hostel, very clean, frendly staff and free maps!I really enjoyed my stay in cadiz and the melting pot is a great place to base yourself.The walk to the hostel from the bus station is ten minutes once you know your way but everyone I met got lost so heres a tip. There are painted 'walks' around cadiz, one in purple and blue and other colours, the purple walk goes past the street with this hostel so once you find the purple paint you're sorted!

• 18th Mar 2011

Aberdeen Youth Hostel

Aberdeen, Scotland

I only stayed one night on my way to Shetland so didnt really see much of the hostel. What I did see and people I met seemed nice and staff were helpful. Hostelworld gives wrong directions to this hostel, take the x17 bus from bus&train station not any of the others listed.

Hostel Zeus

Athens, Greece

Didnt actually stay here because our room had been flooded the night before. We were sent to another hostel, Zorbas which was further out of the centre. We ended up getting lost and losing even more of our day. The man from Zeus gave us 6 euros to get 24 hour metro passes because i complained that Zorbas was going to cost us extra money for transport. That was pretty decent of him but it was true.Zorbas was a decent hostel but too far away.

Village Inn Hotel

Zakynthos, Greece

Laganas where this hotel was, is basically a mini england with british pubs, english breakfasts and chinese buffets.It was not what we came to Zakynthos for.Village inn is just about far enough away from the main street that you can pretend its not there but there is no point staying in laganas unless you want the typical resort and party scene. We choose laganas because of the turtles who nest there but there is no information about them and the beach is dirty.we reckon further north is better.

Hotel Inomaos

Olympia, Greece

Was easy enough to find but Olympia is pretty small so I cant see that being a problem for anyone. Staff didnt speak any english and didnt seem very happy. We were kind of relying on them to help us ghet to Zakynthos the next day but just had to do it ourselves. Room was fine, decor was interesting. We had a nice balony so we had a few drinks there watching the world go by. Olympia is definitely a good call but maybe choose another hotel/hostel!

Ephira Hotel - Corinth

Korinthia, Greece

This hotel was a bit pricey and a bit upmarket for our hostel needs but the cheapest we could find on hostel world. It was a hotel mainly used for business I think, mainly greek, although the staff spoke english. We choose Korinthos as a base for seeing mycenae, not a brilliant plan. We ended up just getting food from the supermarket and eating in our room which saved a few pennies. Korinthos was a nice enough place but not much to offer really but i'm sure there is cheaper accommodation there.

Fivos

Athens, Greece

Hostel was very easy to find coming from the airport. It was close to all the sites we wanted to see in athens so we didnt spend any extra money on metros.Staff were friendly and helpful with everything we asked, getting buses, cheap food etc. Room was clean and decent there was a lot of noise from the traffic during the night but it didnt bother us too much.Breakfast was a bit hit and miss but free so no complaints.

Stayokay Amsterdam Stadsdoelen

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Staff were helpful and i felt safe at all times. It allowed a break from all the crazyness of the ciy. Breakfast was free and very good. There was no communal area were you could meet other travellers so if you were travelling alone I wouldnt recommend it.