Reviews: jsshrn

Location Canada, Gender Female, Age 26

Abigails Hostel, Dublin, Ireland
30th Apr 2014

Very large hostel, so I found it oddly hard to meet people. Very nice kitchen, good free breakfast, great loacation and staff. I'd probably stay here again

The CubaHostel, St Petersburg, Russia
9th Nov 2013

My favourite hostel during my trip to Russia. Perfectly central, great employees, and I love that you can have guests inside until 11pm. The kitchen was well stocked and rooms were spacious. Just a bit cold at night time.

Godzillas Hostel, Moscow, Russia
6th Nov 2013

Great showers, close to the centre, free popcorn and coffee, loved it!

Godzillas Hostel, Moscow, Russia
5th Nov 2013

The taxi pick up from the train station was way way way overpriced at 35$ Canadian. We didn't know Moscow when we arrived so we paid, to learn later it was far too expensive. Other than that the free coffee and popcorn was great and the rooms were clean. Beds squeaked a LOT. I'd stay again though, just figure out other transportation from the train.

Art Hostel on Krasnoarmeiskaya street, Yekaterinburg, Russia
2nd Nov 2013

Nearly impossible to find, but the girl we talked to said they are working on making better directions. Staff were friendly and helpful, beds were comfy and the whole place was immaculately clean. Very small kitchen/common room and only one bathroom which meant lining up in the mornings. Really nice though! We met lots of fun people and I'd stay again.

Dostoevsky Hostel, Novosibirsk, Russia
5.7
31st Oct 2013

Very very difficult to find with the directions. The staff that greeted us were nice, but our room seemed to be all live in people who stayed up really late in the room with the lights on rather than the common room. That being said: bed was nice, bathrooms and kitchens were clean, and the girls working were helpful. Next time if spring for a hotel though.

LG Guesthouse & Hostel, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
7.4
24th Oct 2013

I felt unsafe walking in this area at night. It's a bit far from the centre for me, and I ended up switching hostels for the rest of my stay because I didn't want to walk 15 minutes to and from the centre through an area that made me feel unsafe. The rooms were clean and the shower was amazing. I'd definitely stay here if I was just in UB for a train stop over. Internet didn't work well. No social area, I met 2 guys at the bar who were staying here and we'd never seen each other at the hostel.

• Canada, Female, 25-30
Dragon King Hostel, Beijing, China
19th Oct 2013

Probably the most uncomfortable beds I've ever had in a hostel. Basically wooden planks with foam that feels like its long worn out. I was taking the trans Mongolian, and the beds in the 2nd class train were FAR nicer. That said: not a bad place to spend a few nights. Staff were often confused about simple questions so best be self sufficient.

15th Oct 2013

Very poor wifi that never seemed to work. My room was entirely live-in guests, and then myself. They were really messy and the hostel didn't seem to care. I feel like their should be a limit on how long you stay in a room or be required to clean up after yourself. Having a room full of live in english teachers also made it hard to make friends - everyone felt very cliquey.

Khaosan Tokyo Ninja, Tokyo, Japan
8th Oct 2013

Hotel Acropole, Alexandria, Egypt
11th Aug 2011

Great location, good for a few days. Clean sheets and nice views of the sea. When we checked in, we were greeted by a very rude man who didn't speak English, and had lost our booking. Later, after we had been checked in, paid, and already explored the city, we came back to the hotel to be told we had to pay again and we were in the wrong room by a different man who was also rude. Very confusing.

Meramees Hostel, Cairo, Egypt
9.0
7th Aug 2011

Clean, central, friendly, air conditioned rooms... I would definitely stay again!

Citystay Mitte, Berlin, Germany
21st Jul 2011

Easy to find, good staff, clean rooms, close to everything. I'd stay here again.

St Christophers Prague, Prague, Czech Republic
20th Jul 2011

I got completely destroyed by bed bugs on my first night here, staying in Oasis (the all girls room downstairs). But when I came up at 4am with visible bites on my arms and face, the guy behind the counter very quickly put me in a private room, and told me I would be able to do free laundry if I wanted (I was only traveling for a week, so I didn't need to). Basically more a hotel than a hostel.

Hostel the Globe Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands
7.0
5th Jul 2011

Nothing special to see here. Decent place, clean, nice location... I didn't like the card system to get into the hostel - you need to have your room card (just a piece of paper) and you have to show it to the person at the desk if you want to get inside your room. No food downstairs and no kitchen. I'd stay elsewhere next time, even though this place was ok.

• Canada, Mixed Group, 18-24
Hostel Blues, Bratislava, Slovakia
29th Jun 2011

A big hostel, which sometimes makes it harder to meet people. The staff were great, and the daily events were nice. The kitchen was one of the best I have ever seen in a hostel - so clean and well stocked! Right next to a supermarket, and only 5 minutes from the center. Would definitely stay here again.

• Canada, Mixed Group, 18-24
The Downtown Hostel, Budapest, Hungary
5.0
25th Jun 2011

I don't know if I was here during a bad time, because this hostel was recommended to me by a friend. But it wasn't very clean, the staff was rarely around, and when they were, they mostly sat in the kitchen smoking while at their computers. The bed's sheets appeared to not be changed when the guests changed, and I got bed bug bites. I wouldn't stay here again.

International Budget Hostel, Amsterdam, Netherlands
20th May 2011

Very close to Leisdeplein, which was really nice. A bit hard to find from the train station for me, but I definitely prefer this area of town the the red light district. No kitchen, which kind of sucked.

Mosquito Hostel, Krakow, Poland
11th Apr 2011

Great staff, very clean, really good free breakfast that goes until 11am... The activity nights made socializing very easy, you never had to really worry if you would meet someone. The staff really went out of their way to help you, and also hang out with you. My only complaint is the bunks were very wiggly. I'd stay here again, though!

Hostel Nina, Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina
15th Feb 2011

More like a guest house... Nina and her family were unbelievable. You couldn't run into friendlier, nicer people. Highly, highly recommended.

Dubrovnik Backpackers Club, Dubrovnik, Croatia
12th Feb 2011

THE BEST. I felt like my mother was cooking me dinner and taking care of me. I would stay here again, no questions asked, even though it's a bit out of the center. I LOVED staying here.

Heart Of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands
7.0
1st Nov 2010

Very central, no complaints.

15th Jul 2010

Average overall. Some confusion over my booking and the number of days and how I paid. VERY loud. The first few nights I stayed on a top bunk and anytime I moved, or the person below me moved, it shook the whole frame. The last night I was on the bottom and it was better, though. Not BAD but I would seek out somewhere else next time.

15th May 2010

cheap, good location, close to a super market, nice bar. No kitchen and they charge for wireless, and Brussels isn\'t too good for free wifi in cafes, so I would suggest stay somewhere else if you want to stay in the city for more than one or 2 nights

Sleep-in Green, Copenhagen, Denmark
13th May 2010

good place to sleep, loud dorms, but not so bad really.

Hostelgate Privates, Vilnius, Lithuania
7.3
7th May 2010

Clean with amazing beds, I sept so well.

Old Town Skyview Hostel, Tallinn, Estonia
2nd May 2010

One of the better hostels I have stayed at - mind you, this was at the Tallinn Backpackers, NOT the skyview. skyview is in another building, but operating through the backpackers. Good and clean and very, very fun. Very relaxed also, I could see it being an easy place to get stuck.

Hostel Mostel, Sofia, Bulgaria
3rd Dec 2009

One of the best hostels I have ever been to. Clean, good breakfast, wonderful staff. Would stay again for sure.

Orient Hostel, Istanbul, Turkey
9.0
1st Dec 2009

I got checked in early when I arrived at 6am after a night flight. The staff was very friendly, and the breakfast was fully tasty. Great location, clean rooms, would stay again!

Dover Castle Hostel and Bar, London, England
27th Aug 2009

Very nice place with a decent bar, clean rooms, easy distance to walk to central london, and a tube station 2 minutes away otherwise. Also a sainsbury's very close, and a nice kitchen in the hostel. A necessity if you want to save money in london.

5.3
21st Aug 2009

Didn\'t have a good time here, but it was an ok place to stay for 2 nights. Probably wouldn\'t stay here again with the abundance of hostels in London.

13th Aug 2009

awesome place!

12th Aug 2009

Very friendly hostel, good bar, nice location, clean rooms. Would stay here again no problem.

Adventurer Hostel, Los Angeles, USA
5.7
15th Apr 2009

In a really bad area of town. I stayed here for the free ride from the airport, as I was only in LA for 1 day before moving on. The free food was really good, dinner, snacks, 24 hour coffee and tea. I would stay here again, but not if I was traveling alone. Seemed like there were some perminant residents living in various rooms that put off some of the guests. Lots of creepy-ish older men hitting on young girls in the bar.

Hatters at Hilton Chambers, Manchester, England
11th Aug 2008

I had trouble with a roommate one night who was snoring so loud no one else in the room could sleep. The hostel workers were nice enough to re-locate us for the night, which is really unusal, but was seriously appreciated by us all. Also helped me find a walk in clinic when I needed one, very friendly, easy to talk to, good location, clean and simple. Free toast, jam, tea and coffee, good kitchen set up.

The Globetrotter Inn Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland
11th Aug 2008

i had problems with the shuttle busses - you werent always guarenteed to get on one. i spent one day waiting for 2 hours before I finally took a cab with some other put-off guests. seemed like a good place otherwise, lovely beds with little curtains, nice bar, people were friendly. wouldnt stay again though, the was too expensive (2 pound 50 return), an unreliable. very often it didnt even leave on time, leaving 15 minutes early....

Lake Lodge Iseltwald, Interlaken, Switzerland
15th Jul 2008

i was attacked by an odd bug while i was hear, the bites turned into blisters... other than that, the hostel wasnt so bad. if you want to stay in interlaken, stay elsewhere though, as the bus is kind of expensive into town. i had a nice room with a view, but i met people who had a view of the parking lot and really weird beds seperated with slats, essentially sleeping next to a stranger.

Alberg Gaudi, Barcelona, Spain
15th Jul 2008

fun times

Fashion Hostel, Milan, Italy
14th Jul 2008

a bit unusual, not what I was expecting, but a fairly good price. easy distance away from everything by simple bus routes, marco was very helpful, though not always around. I would stay here again, but it wouldnt be my first choice. breakfast was good also, bananas and eggs and cheese and bread, though not always consistant.

Student's Hostel Estense, Ferrara, Italy
5.3
9th Jul 2008

got some weird bug bites hear. It was nice to rent a bike, but I didnt have much fun. I came alone, and left without making any friends. the free internet was really good, and the breakfast was really really mediocre, cereal, but no milk... it was just an OK place, nothing special, but nothing too bad.

La Controra Hostel Naples, Naples, Italy
5th Jul 2008

The best hostel I have been at in Europe... well decorated, amazingly stocked kitchen, air conditioned rooms! They even had a play one of the nights that I was there, which was free to hostel guests. It was in Italian, but the Italians seemed to really enjoy it. Free movies to watch, a bar, free breakfast (skimpy, but what is new for a hostel). I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

1st Jul 2008

not very central, the the subway is right next to the hostel though. staff were friendly, and helpful. no kitchen, but a nice common room that got busy, and computers that cost 1 euro for an hour, a steal of a deal in italy.

Hostel Santa Monaca, Florence, Italy
28th Jun 2008

It was SO hot. I slept in the big dorm room, and woke up dripping sweat. Has a lot to do with the time of year, but other than the heat (which was all over the city), it wasn\'t so bad. good lock up at front, staff was helpful, and the dryer actually dried clothes! I would stay here in the down season when its colder... very good location within walking distance to museums and sights, and an amazing gelato place.

Mellow Mood Central Hostel, Budapest, Hungary
22nd Jun 2008

a very nice hostel with a good location and mostly friendly staff. lots of stairs, though there there is an elevator. the staff was very helpful at helping find things to do in the city. internet was a bit expensive, and the kitchen was understocked, but none to bad. I have stayed at much worse! bathrooms were clean, also.

Clown and Bard, Prague, Czech Republic
22nd Jun 2008

very cute place, out of the way, but not so badly out of the way i wouldnt stay again. staff were helpful and friendly, overall I enjoyed it.

Clown and Bard, Prague, Czech Republic
19th Jun 2008

pretty nice place, a little out of the way, but clean. too many stairs!! a pretty good breakfast, nice bar, cool decor.