Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 26

It's in a great location, just 3 blocks from the beach. The staff is more than friendly, but positive and upbeat as well. My scruples with security come from my roommates choosing to unlock the door for their own convenience. I did not have anything stolen, however. The rooftop bar is a nice plus, as was the kitchenette located in the room. I do wish that the bunks were solid and quiet ones instead of creaky, loud Walmart-style bunks.

Aloha, Thank you so much for your comment. We recently renovated entire hostel, and very glad to hear great comments about your stay. For your concern about property security, we started to upgrade to all door locks and open our front desk for 24 hours. Thank you.

Drop Bear Inn

Melbourne, Australia

Friendly staff and a wonderful owner who goes out of her way to offer social activities for guests. Be aware that in staying here, you've chosen such either for the bar scene or for the price, but not for proper amenities nor restful sleep. Expect to encounter dilapidated bathrooms and nigh unusable WiFi. The bar music blasts until 1 AM and usually resumes again at 10 AM. The kitchen is small and there isn't a proper lounge to be found.

CheapSleep Helsinki

Helsinki, Finland

The hostel is a little out of the way from the busy Kamppi district, but this is the cheapest place you'll find to stay. There are not many bathrooms to go around, but the kitchen is well-furnished. It can get extremely crowded in the kitchen during every meal time of the day, and some guests like to use all of the cooking pots simultaneously without sparing any for others to use. The common room has excellent couches and the wifi is decent. The staff is pretty good. The atmosphere is cliquey.

Interhostel

Stockholm, Sweden

The rooms were clean, but stuffy and without windows. The layout in the hallways was nice with the little nooks everywhere for you to sprawl out. Not the biggest common room, but it was good enough a place for one night.

Anker Hostel

Oslo, Norway

I have to say that I loved the rooms. Mine (a 4-bed room) had a little kitchenette and a shower, and the room was very spacious. It was a little weird walking through a parking garage to get to the laundry room, but I assure you the laundry room is real. You'll have to buy some tokens at the desk first, though. The staff was mostly nice. A little stand-offish, with one douchebag who tried not to refund a deposit because of a clerical error on the staff's side.

Bergen YMCA Hostel

Bergen, Norway

Friendly staff and the cheapest place to stay in Bergen. It's weird to see old people hostelling, but they stay here too. The location is great, being so near the harbor. The showers were annoying-- you have to press a knob every 20 seconds to re-engage the water flow. That was my only complaint about the facility itself. I recommend staying here when in Bergen.

360 Hostel Barcelona

Barcelona, Spain

This hostel is in a great place, has a wonderful staff, and has decent rooms. This was the better of the hostels I stayed at in Barcelona, and I would stay here again.

Hostel Van Gogh

Amsterdam, Netherlands

This hostel is small without much community to speak of, as it's more like a budget hotel. Still, it is nestled in a great location, and the rooms are clean and well-furnished with towels for the bathrooms. I liked this place but I wouldn't go here with the intent to meet many new people.

Shelter Jordan

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I stayed at Shelter Jordan for a short time. It was the only straight-edge Christian hostel I had ever visited and I can say that it was a good experience. The place is slightly out of the way from busier parts of the city, but within 30 minutes you can still reach most of the popular destinations. The wifi may not have been the strongest, but the staff was courteous and the games at dinner felt very homely and welcoming. Plus, discovering the piano in the common room was a major plus for me.