Reviews: arsenalalice4381

Location England, Gender Female, Age 32

Hostel Mostel Veliko Tarnovo, Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
17th Jun 2016

Nice building, plenty of space / windows in the four bed dorm, easy parking and a garden in addition to somewhere inside to hang out in. We only stayed one night but had no problems. Dinner / breakfast and a beer included in room price. Close to the fortress, less close to the main street but not too horrendous a trek. Would recommend based on our experience!

Hostel Old Plovdiv, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
12th Jun 2016

Loooooved this hostel. Very boutique for a hostel, but great value for money. Nice terrace area / garden. Parking around the area is ok. Plovdiv itself is a gem. Really happy we stayed here, even if it was just for one night. Would like to return.

Hostel Mostel, Sofia, Bulgaria
10th Jun 2016

Really liked this hostel! Everything in Sofia was a pleasant surprise! We arrived by car, at night, with no sat-nav etc so we struggled to find the very small sign for the door but other than that we had a perfect two night stay. Really kind staff, perfect breakfast (the waffles...) and the pub crawl was a great night. Our room was located off site in a slightly more residential building, it appeared to be an apartment and it did only have one shower room and there were many girls staying.

• England, Female, 31-40
Caricako Hostel, Manzanillo, Costa Rica
18th Jan 2016

I ended up only staying one night due to transport issues but this was kindly understood by staff. The location is directly opposite the beach and so close to the bus stop too. I didn't actually spend too much time here but I would recommend it if you plan to visit Manzanillo (which I also recommend). Thank you :)

• England, Female, 31-40
6 small rooms, Naples, Italy
21st Nov 2015

Really nice social feel to this place which, for me, felt like an old hostel (that's a big compliment!). No faults my end, had a wonderful stay and fully recharged my batteries here. Would stay again :)

• England, Couple, 31-40
7.7
2nd May 2015

This is basically just an average place to stay in a very expensive city. As many reviews state, cleanliness is of a high standard and the courtyard area looked nice (very rainy when I stayed so didn't get to use it). Handy having a vending machine on site too. Showers could be warmer and the room was pretty chilly without the heating being on high. No key for the front door so you always have to buzz which sometimes meant a bit of a wait for staff to hear you. Noise occasionally an issue.

Hi Glad you liked our clean hostel, its very important to us and the facilities we have to offer. we appreciate your comments and take your suggestions on board. Remember there are staff present 24hr to help you with anything you may need, such as adjusting the heating or noise. Safe travels The Loft Team

• England, Mixed Group, 31-40
Global Village, Belfast, Northern Ireland
25th Mar 2015

Really enjoyed this hostel. Has a very 'old school' hostel feel to it, very laid back and cosy. Staff were great, all friendly, all knowledgable. Would recommend.

• England, Mixed Group, 31-40
Finn McCool's Giant's Causeway Hostel, Bushmills, Northern Ireland
23rd Mar 2015

Great location for visiting the Causeway. Room to park which was handy. Felt like a big house really - which was cosy. The building has a slightly boat-like aroma and is a bit dated in appearance but it still has all that you need. Friendly American staff during my stay who were friendly.

Hostel Gastama, Lille, France
5th Dec 2014

Stayed here for a weekend to enjoy the Christmas market and really enjoyed it. Took a dorm room and it was very clean. I was with a 'hostel virgin' who enjoyed the social aspect of the bar downstairs and in her words the room was 'cleaner than expected'. It was a little chilly but then I was there in December. Heating never quite warmed up. Would recommend this cute place and Lille in general was a pleasant surprise.

Home Lisbon Hostel, Lisbon, Portugal
17th Oct 2014

We truly felt at home here, as promised! Very comfortable beds / bedding, the bunks are very private and I loved the free earplugs offered 'in case of snorers'. There were a lot of mozzies in my room so consider repellant. Loved the common area, somewhere to really lounge around and relax. Try mama's dinner at least once! It was a lovely, unique experience. A lot of thought goes into this hostel and it shows. Would stay again for sure :) thank you for a wonderful stay!

Born Free Hostel, Bangkok, Thailand
11th Apr 2014

Staying here was fine. It wasn't the best place in the world but I've stayed in worse - probably had a worse experience due to 2 out of 3 nights being in a dorm with inconsiderate others. But that's a risk with dorms! Personal lights

Aoi Garden Home, Chiang Mai, Thailand
4th Apr 2014

Stayed here in '11 under a different name - it was good then but now it's even better. The garden area is pretty with fairy lights, tables and shade. The rooms are simple but the effect works - it feels minimalist rather than basic. The staff are friendly and always on hand for advice. There are always people around tending to the gardens / rooms. Lovely location within the moat but in a quiet part. Stayed with husband and 50 year old parents, all loved it! Thank you!

Sam's House, Kanchanaburi, Thailand
6.3
1st Apr 2014

Everything looked a bit dated, as if it needs a bit of an overhaul / tidy up. There's a lot of nature around, no traffic noise which made it feel quite secluded. River view is overrated, more of a glimpse than a view. Lots of resident dogs. Powerful showers and comfortable big beds. About 15 minutes walk to the bridge. Breakfast available, what we had was good quality.

• England, All Female Group, 25-30
KEX Hostel, Reykjavik, Iceland
12th Feb 2014

Ahhh this was a lovely place to stay - comfortable beds and plenty of showers (though the majority of these were communal - I only found one private cubicle on my floor) as well as great places to relax. Beautiful decor and great location - lots of free parking down by the green petrol station to the left of the hostel. There were no ceiling lights in my dorm - individual lights only, and I never worked out whether that was a blessing or a curse. Staff could be a bit indifferent to you...

Hostel Meyerbeer Beach, Nice, France
9th Jan 2014

We ended up swapping a dorm room for a double and it was very well equipped, and cleaned every day. The location was lovely, a mere stroll to the beach and around 5 minute walk to the train station. The TV in the room didn't work, but it didn't bother us because there is too much to do in Nice. Breakfast was handy and perfect for me (I don't usually eat breakfast) - so if you're expecting a feast then you may be disappointed.

Citadel Youth Hostel, Jerusalem, Israel
8.0
22nd Oct 2013

Although most of my points were 'good' or 'average - I have to say that NOTHING compares to sleeping on an open rooftop waking up to an unobstructed view of the Dome of the Rock! WOW! We did think that there would be a tent, or something resembling a roof, on the terrace (we travelled in October) but there wasn't. However, we wrapped up in double duvets and extra clothing and loved it. Quite a few stairs to reach the roof. There was a distinct whiff of 'sewer' near the bathrooms too.

Simsim Guesthouse, Nazareth, Israel
21st Oct 2013

If I ever had my own hostel, then it would be just like the Samira. I have stayed in hundreds of hostels over the years and I can honestly say that this is the best of them all. Gorgeous to look at, brilliant location, decorated in a beautiful manner and with all the little 'added extras' that really make a place special. Breakfast, time spent with us pointing out places on a map, exceptionally clean rooms and lovely new bedding. Please don't change a thing! There's space to park nearby too :)

Akkogate Guest Hostel, Akko, Israel
19th Oct 2013

This is the perfect location in Akko, couldn't improve on that at all. The 6 bed dorm had bathroom attached - hot water and powerful shower. Was concerned about noise after reading reviews but we were there during a celebration and the noise wasn't that bad considering, and stopped around 12am. Just have earplugs in case if you're a light sleeper. Staff spoke great English

7.1
16th Oct 2013

As always - you get what you pay for! The bus station is very close. Petra is a downhill 10 minute walk. Usual suspects such as broken electric socket (they charged my camera in reception) / cold shower but for the price I would say it was an alright place to stay. Helped us with changing money. Breakfast was as much as the room, actually not too bad at all - tea, bread, egg, salad. Had a nice sunset view from our room. Would stay here again purely because everywhere else is SO expensive!

Caverne d'Ali Baba, Essaouira, Morocco
9th Mar 2013

I really loved this place! Perfect location, helpful and friendly staff, beautiful furniture and rooms with character, lovely breakfast with fresh orange juice and pastries. I would love to stay here again and would definitely recommend you to try it. From the bus station you can take a petit taxi for aroung 10Dirham and then you walk straight, across a sort of square and under an arch for maybe 2 minutes. Really lovely - thank you for a great two nights!

Hostel Riad Marrakech Rouge, Marrakech, Morocco
6th Mar 2013

The guys who run this place are amazing. Absolutely cannot fault their kindness. Breakfast included was tasty. Did seem to always be a wait for a shower, but that could just be because they were taking a long time - I believe there are three showers. Be aware if you a re a non-smoker that there can be a fairly smokey environment. Very socialble place so perfect for meeting people and LOTS of areas to hang out in. Would stay here again for sure.

Surprise Backpackers, London, England
31st Dec 2012

I stayed here on New Year's Eve so it's probably not a regular review as there was a big party going on downstairs. All OK, just a pretty average experience really. I'm reviewing this many months after I stayed here - nothing bad jumps out at me from my stay though!

Fuji Villa, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
8.0
29th Feb 2012

Please note that for visiting Jogyakarta you're about an hour out. There is a free shuttle but the return leg forgot to pick me up and I had to wait until around 10.30pm at McDonalds waiting. Breakfast is AMAZING. Huge choice! Dorm is OK but if I had had the money I would have stayed in a room as they looked incredible! Lady staff was lovely, though when I arrived I was initially overlooked and took some doing to get noticed as I had been put in the wrong room (a room, not the dorm). Nice garden

• England, All Female Group, 25-30
Fernloft City (Chinatown), Singapore, Singapore
23rd Jan 2012

This was one of the most interesting hostels I have stayed in - didn't feel like a hostel. The lady there (Anie?) treated us all like guests to her home. It is a small place - I met only around 7 people there but we all socialised together and were taken out to see the city/get food by Anie and we even had dinner cooked for us by her! There were times when this felt a little overbearing but only once or twice. Very clean, perfect location and good value when claiming the free night in KL.

Backpackers Travellers Inn, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
21st Jan 2012

Will happily stay here again when I return to KL. A few people have written about the 'scruffiness' of the place but it was actually a lot cleaner and tidier than I expected. Location is faultless and the staff were very helpful. I didn't use any of the services but it looked as if there were plenty on offer. I stayed in a 3 bed dorm and it was so cheap but it even had aircon. Give it a go!

Chhaya Hotel, Battambang, Cambodia
6.6
30th Dec 2011

I had read a few reviews of this place before booking and only went ahead because it was cheap! It really is a fantastic location, very central and if arriving by bus they have a driver to pick you up which is nice. It was EXTREMELY loud here as others have mentioned (think maybe there was a wedding behind the hotel though?) but nothing that traveller basics like earplugs shouldn't sort out ;) I know for a fact that my bedding was not changed between guests which wasn't great but for $2? C'mon!

Angkor Wonder Hostel, Siem Reap, Cambodia
27th Dec 2011

This place was good enough value for money and only a short walk to the market/main town area but I'm not 100% sure how it has become one of the top rated hostels as it was nothing special. Still, the staff were fantastic - helpful and good English spoken.

Hotel Hai Chau, Chau Doc, Vietnam
17th Dec 2011

This was a great place to stay - very friendly and helpful staff. I didn't have time for the breakfast as I had an early transfer but they were kind enough to make sure that I managed to get a quick drink before I left! Fantastic room - very big and clean. Location could not be better. Make sure you visit the local market. Chau Doc itself was the friendliest town I visited in Vietnam.

Aoi Garden Home, Chiang Mai, Thailand
9th Nov 2011

I booked for one night here and ended up staying a week. It is peaceful here, but within the moat area so if you want to go out it's really easy. Loved staying here, the twin rooms are really good value and the staff are very friendly and want to help as much as they can. Want to come back for Christmas!

Celica Art Hostel, Ljubljana, Slovenia
9.0
12th Sep 2011

One of the cleanest hostels I have ever stayed in . Found it a bit tricky to find my way into town - think maybe I lost my sense of direction whilst in Ljubljana! I wish I had stayed in the cells, one day I will return to try them but I left it late so book well in advance as this place was rammed! Lots of options for food. Breakfast was a brilliant spread. Staff extremely helpful. Very unique place to stay - thank you! :)

Hostel pod Voglom, Bohinj, Slovenia
8th Sep 2011

Perfect location opposite the lake, option for dinner and good breakfast included. Would recommend!

Aivengo Hostel, Amsterdam, Netherlands
8.7
10th Mar 2011

I found the staff really helpful - especially the guy who checked me in and who shared my thoughts on how awful birthdays are! The location is great and there was a really nice feel to this place - obviously I was also lucky with the people in my dorm. The dorm was really big, lots of space and not very noisy. I would stay here again! Thank you :)

Astor Museum Inn, London, England
11th Dec 2010

This place was perfect! The staff were really friendly and it has what I can only describe as a 'proper' hostel feel to it! Stacks of helpful info for people visiting London and nice, big, warm dorms! Easy to find and a fantastic location - easy enough to walk to Covent Garden, Strand, Trafalgar Square. Would stay again and recommend!

Villa Zora, Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
17th Jun 2010

This was a perfect place to stay to visit the Lakes. I would say that at an amble it took us around 40 minutes to walk there - it's not a difficult walk. The owners were very helpful and very friendly too. No faults! Thank you! :)

Petra Guesthouse, Dubrovnik, Croatia
8th Jun 2010

This was the most perfect location! Right off the Strand in Old Town. The home owners were helpful but not intrusive. Great value for money given the location, plus, it is their home too so you feel as if you are staying in a Croatian families home rather than a purpose built hostel.

• England,
Pillow One Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
7.3
28th Aug 2009

The location is great and you get offered some really tasty pastries and juices for breakfast which is cool. When you first enter the building to go up to the hostel it looks a bit dirty but it's no big deal and the rooms were fine, comfortable enough bed and showers that worked well! The only thing I'd say is that it's at the top and there's no lift so bear that in mind. Great stay overall though. Thank you.

• England, Female, 18-24
Shining Hostel, Dublin, Ireland
6.3
29th Jan 2009

It was cheap, it was central and it was full of noisy/loud-mouthed people when I was there but that wasn't the hostel's fault I guess.