Reviews: arsenalalice4381

Location England, Gender Female, Age 33

Hedonist Hostel, Belgrade, Serbia
5th Jul 2017

Really great hostel, very nice staff all willing to help and show kindness. The walking tour offered is a great way to get orientated. I arrived super early and was shown to the chill out room to allow me to take a snooze, a blanket was even put over me whilst I drifted off (thank you!) really nice location, everything is super easy to reach and the area is good to explore. Lots of nice coffee shops close by. Didn't do the pub crawl but looked popular and the crowd were sociable. A great choice.

SunnyLakeHostel, Ohrid, Macedonia
28th Jun 2017

Firstly the staff really are helpful and accommodating. I didn't mind this place but I didn't connect with it the way some others do. It's a little dated and feels a bit tired but the location is easy. There is a lovely lady there who appears to be helping with cleaning etc but honestly I felt a little anxious because I always felt in the way of wherever she was trying to clean, which made it difficult to fully relax. Rooms hot, for me it was OK as I don't feel heat but others were suffering.

i'm surprised by your review.We let you to stay here for 3 days because you didn't had money to pay so we fully trusted you.I'm surprised that you felt anxious about anyone from us here.Especially the lady that is cleaning as she tries to keep clean the mass left by the guests.

Driza's House, Prizren, Kosovo
21st Jun 2017

I happily extended my stay here to four nights as I was very pleasantly surprised by the city and vibe of Prizren. Everything was great here, I was very comfortable for my whole stay. I would definitely suggest staying here. There is a very tiny kitten at the hostel who is adorable! The beds were comfortable with individual charger points / lights / privacy curtains. A light breakfast was available as well. Sunset from the fort is a must and I also liked the Sindikate bar by the fountain :)

Taso Guesthouse & Hostel, Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina
12th Jun 2017

Genuinely up there with my all time favourite hostels. Leaving after 5 nights will be really sad - this place and all the people in it have felt like great friends from day one. Lots of fun, lots of information, lots of relaxing, lots of rakija, lots of kindness and laughter. Great breakfast (when I was up in time for it..) and their volunteer Tasha is helpful, fun and well travelled. Already looking forward to returning in the future and recommending this place to family/friends! THANK YOU! 😘

Hostel Teatar, Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina
10th Jun 2017

I really liked staying here because you could come & go as you pleased, & there was a lot of space in the dorms to feel really at home/stretch out. Staff (particularly Hana who I had more contact with) were informative & friendly. Location perfect, close to the main sights. The only thing I would say is that there's a lot of street noise in the dorm, & thin curtains but I also didn't have my earplugs so I wonder if it would've been much better had I. I kept extending my stay, to 5 nights total!

3rd Jun 2017

This hostel was exactly what I needed! Somewhere to get involved and have a laugh. Great value drinks and people to drink with. Nice easy walk to the main square / sights. Great value. They really want to make this place a success and it shows. If I was to stay in Zagreb again I wouldn't even bother looking at anywhere else. Thanks to Cracker, Ivana, Paul, Shelby and Kai for their friendliness and laughter! Doing a great job!

Thanks A. We're glad all the staff made a positive impression on you and helped make your stay a memorable one. All the best with your onward travels. WWW

Boutique Hostel Forum, Zadar, Croatia
30th May 2017

Planned to stay 2 nights, ended up staying 4. Had a real issue when my purse vanished in the street - no cash, cards etc and I cannot make it clear enough just how kind, helpful and thoughtful the staff were. Your kindness will be remembered forever. Location cannot be beaten. Loved the daily breakfast - I hadn't seen it listed so was a lovely surprise. So clean! Really comfy, cosy beds and loved the privacy of the almost pod style space. Second visit to Zadar, as lovely now as it was in 2010!

Rolling Stone Hostel, Brasov, Romania
19th May 2017

Located slightly further out of the centre, takes about 10/15 mins walk to the main square. One other review states to get off 7 stops after the train station, but I believe it's actually the 8th - follow Hostel info! Was low season - not many travellers but two teen school groups filled up one of the dorms. Kitchen to use but only microwaveable items, no hob/oven. Lots of info from the staff. Stayed 4 nights, stay improved with time (other guests arriving). Main entrance not locked. Cat!! :) :)

PanGeea Hostel, Sibiu, Romania
6.6
17th May 2017

I fear that my opinion of this place may be tainted by simply appalling dorm-mates who spent the whole time burning meat, burping loudly and snoring loud enough to wake the dead - even with earplugs in. It's a great location and if you're traveling in a larger group you'd probably make the apartment feel homely. For me I was never sure who was staff & there were large groups of teens stood under my room smoking. Apartment 1 nicer than 2. Very self contained - priority is the bar for staff.

Burg Hostel, Sighisoara, Romania
15th May 2017

This place was virtually empty when I visited, so I'm sure things might be different in higher season. Stayed for 2 nights and had 1 night in the 8 bed dorm alone and the other with a nice girl. Restaurant downstairs, food was good. Location is perfect. Sighisoara is so small, you probably won't need more than one night/a full day here. Very pretty though. Didn't see any lockers in the rooms. Female dorm in the attic, I liked that but some may find the low ceiling provides less space. Clean area

Hostel Costel Timisoara, Timisoara, Romania
7.7
9th May 2017

My first hostel experience in Romania. I'm not too sure that the concept is similar to other hostels in Europe I've stayed in. Lots of space here, lots of places to stretch out. Encountered a few different staff members - wasn't sure who was who mostly but DaDa was really a lovely girl. Fair walk into town - not miles (perhaps 10-15 min walk), but don't expect to pop downstairs and be in the thick of the action. If there aren't many guests I expect it feels a bit empty.

I wasn't sure how to respond to this review. You're not the first one coming in with a trolley and a nice (business) outfit and we don't know what to expect. Usually it is a bad rating like this one - but we didn't expect the really nice words that describe us well: yeah, we try to be different and we appreciate having lots of common areas we're you can either socialize or just have your quite corner and chill. Staff shouldn't be in a uniform hidden after a desk but rather mingle and be there, but subtle. Of course all this space and garden comes with a fair distance to the town which is walk-able for most but there are just 2 stops with the trams or we have bikes to rent ;) PS: if only for Dada at least the staff would've deserved a "10" - rating ;)

Ostello Bello Grande, Milan, Italy
30th Apr 2017

One of the most perfect hostels I've stayed in. Breakfast included. 24hr bar without being too rowdy / disruptive. Offer to post your postcards for you. Games, books, table football, free snacks, individual lights / charging points with each bed, welcome drink etc etc. All the little touches are thought of, and it really makes a difference. Thank you so much, if I return to Milan I wouldn't even look for another hostel I'd just book this place again! :) thank you so much!

Lake Como Hostel La Primula, Lake Como, Italy
29th Apr 2017

I really recommend staying at this hostel for a slice of Como, but without the expected price tag. It was a joy to be able to stay in an area that is often thought of as exclusive but within the means of a budget traveler. Lovely views for breakfast. View from the balcony of the dorm itself were some of the best I've ever experienced. Would definitely stay here again.

EastSeven Berlin Hostel, Berlin, Germany
25th Mar 2017

Loved our stay. Had the four bed dorm which was bigger than expected and our own private bathroom across the hallway. Well equipped kitchen. Friendly staff. Very close to station. Can't fault it really :) thank you!

Don Jon*s Lodge and Restaurant, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
21st Jan 2017

Easy stroll to the beach, lovely place itself - Santa Teresa! Massive breakfast burrito - amazing. Seemed a little cliquey but that's possibly because I arrived to already-formed groups. Would stay here again.

Bakki Hostel & Apartments, Eyrarbakki, Iceland
13th Nov 2016

So warm, so clean, such comfortable beds. Only spent one night here but it was so nice. Sometimes it's just nice to be somewhere small and village-y and that's kinda how I felt about this place. Dorm was one of the best I've stayed in terms of comfort. Easy to park, easy to find. Lots of people just chilling in the evenings, just kinda doing their thing. Games, books, sofas and plentiful kitchen. Thank you!

KEX Hostel, Reykjavik, Iceland
12th Nov 2016

This is my second stay here in just under 3yr. This particular visit was 2 nights, but with a stay elsewhere in the middle. Still a lovely looking hostel, warm & nicely decorated. Got very very unlucky on the first night when about 10 people in the 16 bed dorm decided to have a drunken drum & bass party until 12am despite the kitchen next door being empty. Kudos to the staff, who moved us to a smaller dorm. Breakfast was pretty good. Didn't have that before. Bedding is extra, forgot that..

Hostel Mostel Veliko Tarnovo, Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
17th Jun 2016

Nice building, plenty of space / windows in the four bed dorm, easy parking and a garden in addition to somewhere inside to hang out in. We only stayed one night but had no problems. Dinner / breakfast and a beer included in room price. Close to the fortress, less close to the main street but not too horrendous a trek. Would recommend based on our experience!

Hostel Old Plovdiv, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
12th Jun 2016

Loooooved this hostel. Very boutique for a hostel, but great value for money. Nice terrace area / garden. Parking around the area is ok. Plovdiv itself is a gem. Really happy we stayed here, even if it was just for one night. Would like to return.

I am so glad to see, that your stay was great, Alice ! We have our own parking and as you mention it is FREE and SAFE :) We are Hostel in Name Only - The Only Difference between us and the 5 star hotel is the affordable price :) Thank you for recommending us to Jill and Paul - they arrived safe and sound :) Best regards Hristo-the owner :)

Hostel Mostel, Sofia, Bulgaria
10th Jun 2016

Really liked this hostel! Everything in Sofia was a pleasant surprise! We arrived by car, at night, with no sat-nav etc so we struggled to find the very small sign for the door but other than that we had a perfect two night stay. Really kind staff, perfect breakfast (the waffles...) and the pub crawl was a great night. Our room was located off site in a slightly more residential building, it appeared to be an apartment and it did only have one shower room and there were many girls staying.

Hostel Diana Park, Helsinki, Finland
19th May 2016

Actually I stayed here back in May 2016, and hadn't realised I did not leave a review. This place was fine. It doesn't stand out as somewhere particularly amazing or bad to stay. Just a budget value place in a fairly pricy city. Ended up staying an extra night after missing a ferry to Estonia (triple check your port if traveling to Tallinn...). Everything was alright. Thank you :)

Caricako Hostel, Manzanillo, Costa Rica
18th Jan 2016

I ended up only staying one night due to transport issues but this was kindly understood by staff. The location is directly opposite the beach and so close to the bus stop too. I didn't actually spend too much time here but I would recommend it if you plan to visit Manzanillo (which I also recommend). Thank you :)

6 small rooms, Naples, Italy
21st Nov 2015

Really nice social feel to this place which, for me, felt like an old hostel (that's a big compliment!). No faults my end, had a wonderful stay and fully recharged my batteries here. Would stay again :)

• England, Couple, 31-40
7.7
2nd May 2015

This is basically just an average place to stay in a very expensive city. As many reviews state, cleanliness is of a high standard and the courtyard area looked nice (very rainy when I stayed so didn't get to use it). Handy having a vending machine on site too. Showers could be warmer and the room was pretty chilly without the heating being on high. No key for the front door so you always have to buzz which sometimes meant a bit of a wait for staff to hear you. Noise occasionally an issue.

Hi Glad you liked our clean hostel, its very important to us and the facilities we have to offer. we appreciate your comments and take your suggestions on board. Remember there are staff present 24hr to help you with anything you may need, such as adjusting the heating or noise. Safe travels The Loft Team

• England, Mixed Group, 31-40
Global Village, Belfast, Northern Ireland
25th Mar 2015

Really enjoyed this hostel. Has a very 'old school' hostel feel to it, very laid back and cosy. Staff were great, all friendly, all knowledgable. Would recommend.

• England, Mixed Group, 31-40
Finn McCool's Giant's Causeway Hostel, Bushmills, Northern Ireland
23rd Mar 2015

Great location for visiting the Causeway. Room to park which was handy. Felt like a big house really - which was cosy. The building has a slightly boat-like aroma and is a bit dated in appearance but it still has all that you need. Friendly American staff during my stay who were friendly.

Hostel Gastama, Lille, France
5th Dec 2014

Stayed here for a weekend to enjoy the Christmas market and really enjoyed it. Took a dorm room and it was very clean. I was with a 'hostel virgin' who enjoyed the social aspect of the bar downstairs and in her words the room was 'cleaner than expected'. It was a little chilly but then I was there in December. Heating never quite warmed up. Would recommend this cute place and Lille in general was a pleasant surprise.

Home Lisbon Hostel, Lisbon, Portugal
17th Oct 2014

We truly felt at home here, as promised! Very comfortable beds / bedding, the bunks are very private and I loved the free earplugs offered 'in case of snorers'. There were a lot of mozzies in my room so consider repellant. Loved the common area, somewhere to really lounge around and relax. Try mama's dinner at least once! It was a lovely, unique experience. A lot of thought goes into this hostel and it shows. Would stay again for sure :) thank you for a wonderful stay!

Born Free Hostel, Bangkok, Thailand
11th Apr 2014

Staying here was fine. It wasn't the best place in the world but I've stayed in worse - probably had a worse experience due to 2 out of 3 nights being in a dorm with inconsiderate others. But that's a risk with dorms! Personal lights

Aoi Garden Home, Chiang Mai, Thailand
4th Apr 2014

Stayed here in '11 under a different name - it was good then but now it's even better. The garden area is pretty with fairy lights, tables and shade. The rooms are simple but the effect works - it feels minimalist rather than basic. The staff are friendly and always on hand for advice. There are always people around tending to the gardens / rooms. Lovely location within the moat but in a quiet part. Stayed with husband and 50 year old parents, all loved it! Thank you!

Sam's House, Kanchanaburi, Thailand
6.3
1st Apr 2014

Everything looked a bit dated, as if it needs a bit of an overhaul / tidy up. There's a lot of nature around, no traffic noise which made it feel quite secluded. River view is overrated, more of a glimpse than a view. Lots of resident dogs. Powerful showers and comfortable big beds. About 15 minutes walk to the bridge. Breakfast available, what we had was good quality.

KEX Hostel, Reykjavik, Iceland
12th Feb 2014

Ahhh this was a lovely place to stay - comfortable beds and plenty of showers (though the majority of these were communal - I only found one private cubicle on my floor) as well as great places to relax. Beautiful decor and great location - lots of free parking down by the green petrol station to the left of the hostel. There were no ceiling lights in my dorm - individual lights only, and I never worked out whether that was a blessing or a curse. Staff could be a bit indifferent to you...

Hostel Meyerbeer Beach, Nice, France
9th Jan 2014

We ended up swapping a dorm room for a double and it was very well equipped, and cleaned every day. The location was lovely, a mere stroll to the beach and around 5 minute walk to the train station. The TV in the room didn't work, but it didn't bother us because there is too much to do in Nice. Breakfast was handy and perfect for me (I don't usually eat breakfast) - so if you're expecting a feast then you may be disappointed.

Citadel Youth Hostel, Jerusalem, Israel
8.0
22nd Oct 2013

Although most of my points were 'good' or 'average - I have to say that NOTHING compares to sleeping on an open rooftop waking up to an unobstructed view of the Dome of the Rock! WOW! We did think that there would be a tent, or something resembling a roof, on the terrace (we travelled in October) but there wasn't. However, we wrapped up in double duvets and extra clothing and loved it. Quite a few stairs to reach the roof. There was a distinct whiff of 'sewer' near the bathrooms too.

Simsim Guesthouse, Nazareth, Israel
21st Oct 2013

If I ever had my own hostel, then it would be just like the Samira. I have stayed in hundreds of hostels over the years and I can honestly say that this is the best of them all. Gorgeous to look at, brilliant location, decorated in a beautiful manner and with all the little 'added extras' that really make a place special. Breakfast, time spent with us pointing out places on a map, exceptionally clean rooms and lovely new bedding. Please don't change a thing! There's space to park nearby too :)

Akkogate Guest Hostel, Akko, Israel
19th Oct 2013

This is the perfect location in Akko, couldn't improve on that at all. The 6 bed dorm had bathroom attached - hot water and powerful shower. Was concerned about noise after reading reviews but we were there during a celebration and the noise wasn't that bad considering, and stopped around 12am. Just have earplugs in case if you're a light sleeper. Staff spoke great English

7.1
16th Oct 2013

As always - you get what you pay for! The bus station is very close. Petra is a downhill 10 minute walk. Usual suspects such as broken electric socket (they charged my camera in reception) / cold shower but for the price I would say it was an alright place to stay. Helped us with changing money. Breakfast was as much as the room, actually not too bad at all - tea, bread, egg, salad. Had a nice sunset view from our room. Would stay here again purely because everywhere else is SO expensive!

Caverne d'Ali Baba, Essaouira, Morocco
9th Mar 2013

I really loved this place! Perfect location, helpful and friendly staff, beautiful furniture and rooms with character, lovely breakfast with fresh orange juice and pastries. I would love to stay here again and would definitely recommend you to try it. From the bus station you can take a petit taxi for aroung 10Dirham and then you walk straight, across a sort of square and under an arch for maybe 2 minutes. Really lovely - thank you for a great two nights!

Hostel Riad Marrakech Rouge, Marrakech, Morocco
6th Mar 2013

The guys who run this place are amazing. Absolutely cannot fault their kindness. Breakfast included was tasty. Did seem to always be a wait for a shower, but that could just be because they were taking a long time - I believe there are three showers. Be aware if you a re a non-smoker that there can be a fairly smokey environment. Very socialble place so perfect for meeting people and LOTS of areas to hang out in. Would stay here again for sure.

Surprise Backpackers, London, England
31st Dec 2012

I stayed here on New Year's Eve so it's probably not a regular review as there was a big party going on downstairs. All OK, just a pretty average experience really. I'm reviewing this many months after I stayed here - nothing bad jumps out at me from my stay though!

Fuji Villa, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
8.0
29th Feb 2012

Please note that for visiting Jogyakarta you're about an hour out. There is a free shuttle but the return leg forgot to pick me up and I had to wait until around 10.30pm at McDonalds waiting. Breakfast is AMAZING. Huge choice! Dorm is OK but if I had had the money I would have stayed in a room as they looked incredible! Lady staff was lovely, though when I arrived I was initially overlooked and took some doing to get noticed as I had been put in the wrong room (a room, not the dorm). Nice garden

Fernloft City (Chinatown), Singapore, Singapore
23rd Jan 2012

This was one of the most interesting hostels I have stayed in - didn't feel like a hostel. The lady there (Anie?) treated us all like guests to her home. It is a small place - I met only around 7 people there but we all socialised together and were taken out to see the city/get food by Anie and we even had dinner cooked for us by her! There were times when this felt a little overbearing but only once or twice. Very clean, perfect location and good value when claiming the free night in KL.

Backpackers Travellers Inn, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
21st Jan 2012

Will happily stay here again when I return to KL. A few people have written about the 'scruffiness' of the place but it was actually a lot cleaner and tidier than I expected. Location is faultless and the staff were very helpful. I didn't use any of the services but it looked as if there were plenty on offer. I stayed in a 3 bed dorm and it was so cheap but it even had aircon. Give it a go!

Chhaya Hotel, Battambang, Cambodia
6.6
30th Dec 2011

I had read a few reviews of this place before booking and only went ahead because it was cheap! It really is a fantastic location, very central and if arriving by bus they have a driver to pick you up which is nice. It was EXTREMELY loud here as others have mentioned (think maybe there was a wedding behind the hotel though?) but nothing that traveller basics like earplugs shouldn't sort out ;) I know for a fact that my bedding was not changed between guests which wasn't great but for $2? C'mon!

Angkor Wonder Hostel, Siem Reap, Cambodia
27th Dec 2011

This place was good enough value for money and only a short walk to the market/main town area but I'm not 100% sure how it has become one of the top rated hostels as it was nothing special. Still, the staff were fantastic - helpful and good English spoken.

Hotel Hai Chau, Chau Doc, Vietnam
17th Dec 2011

This was a great place to stay - very friendly and helpful staff. I didn't have time for the breakfast as I had an early transfer but they were kind enough to make sure that I managed to get a quick drink before I left! Fantastic room - very big and clean. Location could not be better. Make sure you visit the local market. Chau Doc itself was the friendliest town I visited in Vietnam.

Aoi Garden Home, Chiang Mai, Thailand
9th Nov 2011

I booked for one night here and ended up staying a week. It is peaceful here, but within the moat area so if you want to go out it's really easy. Loved staying here, the twin rooms are really good value and the staff are very friendly and want to help as much as they can. Want to come back for Christmas!

Celica Art Hostel, Ljubljana, Slovenia
9.0
12th Sep 2011

One of the cleanest hostels I have ever stayed in . Found it a bit tricky to find my way into town - think maybe I lost my sense of direction whilst in Ljubljana! I wish I had stayed in the cells, one day I will return to try them but I left it late so book well in advance as this place was rammed! Lots of options for food. Breakfast was a brilliant spread. Staff extremely helpful. Very unique place to stay - thank you! :)

Hostel pod Voglom, Bohinj, Slovenia
8th Sep 2011

Perfect location opposite the lake, option for dinner and good breakfast included. Would recommend!

Aivengo Hostel, Amsterdam, Netherlands
8.7
10th Mar 2011

I found the staff really helpful - especially the guy who checked me in and who shared my thoughts on how awful birthdays are! The location is great and there was a really nice feel to this place - obviously I was also lucky with the people in my dorm. The dorm was really big, lots of space and not very noisy. I would stay here again! Thank you :)

Astor Museum Inn, London, England
11th Dec 2010

This place was perfect! The staff were really friendly and it has what I can only describe as a 'proper' hostel feel to it! Stacks of helpful info for people visiting London and nice, big, warm dorms! Easy to find and a fantastic location - easy enough to walk to Covent Garden, Strand, Trafalgar Square. Would stay again and recommend!

Villa Zora, Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
17th Jun 2010

This was a perfect place to stay to visit the Lakes. I would say that at an amble it took us around 40 minutes to walk there - it's not a difficult walk. The owners were very helpful and very friendly too. No faults! Thank you! :)

Petra Guesthouse, Dubrovnik, Croatia
8th Jun 2010

This was the most perfect location! Right off the Strand in Old Town. The home owners were helpful but not intrusive. Great value for money given the location, plus, it is their home too so you feel as if you are staying in a Croatian families home rather than a purpose built hostel.

• England,
Pillow One Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
7.3
28th Aug 2009

The location is great and you get offered some really tasty pastries and juices for breakfast which is cool. When you first enter the building to go up to the hostel it looks a bit dirty but it's no big deal and the rooms were fine, comfortable enough bed and showers that worked well! The only thing I'd say is that it's at the top and there's no lift so bear that in mind. Great stay overall though. Thank you.

• England, Female, 18-24
Shining Hostel, Dublin, Ireland
6.3
29th Jan 2009

It was cheap, it was central and it was full of noisy/loud-mouthed people when I was there but that wasn't the hostel's fault I guess.