Reviews: arsenalalice4381

Location: England, Gender: Female, Age: 30

Born Free Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

Staying here was fine. It wasn't the best place in the world but I've stayed in worse - probably had a worse experience due to 2 out of 3 nights being in a dorm with inconsiderate others. But that's a risk with dorms! Personal lights

• 11th Apr 2014

Aoi Garden Home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Stayed here in '11 under a different name - it was good then but now it's even better. The garden area is pretty with fairy lights, tables and shade. The rooms are simple but the effect works - it feels minimalist rather than basic. The staff are friendly and always on hand for advice. There are always people around tending to the gardens / rooms. Lovely location within the moat but in a quiet part. Stayed with husband and 50 year old parents, all loved it! Thank you!

• 4th Apr 2014

Sam's House

Kanchanaburi, Thailand

Everything looked a bit dated, as if it needs a bit of an overhaul / tidy up. There's a lot of nature around, no traffic noise which made it feel quite secluded. River view is overrated, more of a glimpse than a view. Lots of resident dogs. Powerful showers and comfortable big beds. About 15 minutes walk to the bridge. Breakfast available, what we had was good quality.

• 1st Apr 2014

KEX Hostel

Reykjavik, Iceland

Ahhh this was a lovely place to stay - comfortable beds and plenty of showers (though the majority of these were communal - I only found one private cubicle on my floor) as well as great places to relax. Beautiful decor and great location - lots of free parking down by the green petrol station to the left of the hostel. There were no ceiling lights in my dorm - individual lights only, and I never worked out whether that was a blessing or a curse. Staff could be a bit indifferent to you...

• 12th Feb 2014

Hostel Meyerbeer Beach

Nice, France

We ended up swapping a dorm room for a double and it was very well equipped, and cleaned every day. The location was lovely, a mere stroll to the beach and around 5 minute walk to the train station. The TV in the room didn't work, but it didn't bother us because there is too much to do in Nice. Breakfast was handy and perfect for me (I don't usually eat breakfast) - so if you're expecting a feast then you may be disappointed.

• 9th Jan 2014

Citadel Youth Hostel

Jerusalem, Israel

Although most of my points were 'good' or 'average - I have to say that NOTHING compares to sleeping on an open rooftop waking up to an unobstructed view of the Dome of the Rock! WOW! We did think that there would be a tent, or something resembling a roof, on the terrace (we travelled in October) but there wasn't. However, we wrapped up in double duvets and extra clothing and loved it. Quite a few stairs to reach the roof. There was a distinct whiff of 'sewer' near the bathrooms too.

• 22nd Oct 2013

Samira Guest House

Nazareth, Israel

If I ever had my own hostel, then it would be just like the Samira. I have stayed in hundreds of hostels over the years and I can honestly say that this is the best of them all. Gorgeous to look at, brilliant location, decorated in a beautiful manner and with all the little 'added extras' that really make a place special. Breakfast, time spent with us pointing out places on a map, exceptionally clean rooms and lovely new bedding. Please don't change a thing! There's space to park nearby too :)

• 21st Oct 2013

Akkogate Guest Hostel

Akko, Israel

This is the perfect location in Akko, couldn't improve on that at all. The 6 bed dorm had bathroom attached - hot water and powerful shower. Was concerned about noise after reading reviews but we were there during a celebration and the noise wasn't that bad considering, and stopped around 12am. Just have earplugs in case if you're a light sleeper. Staff spoke great English

• 19th Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

As always - you get what you pay for! The bus station is very close. Petra is a downhill 10 minute walk. Usual suspects such as broken electric socket (they charged my camera in reception) / cold shower but for the price I would say it was an alright place to stay. Helped us with changing money. Breakfast was as much as the room, actually not too bad at all - tea, bread, egg, salad. Had a nice sunset view from our room. Would stay here again purely because everywhere else is SO expensive!

• 16th Oct 2013

Caverne d'Ali Baba

Essaouira, Morocco

I really loved this place! Perfect location, helpful and friendly staff, beautiful furniture and rooms with character, lovely breakfast with fresh orange juice and pastries. I would love to stay here again and would definitely recommend you to try it. From the bus station you can take a petit taxi for aroung 10Dirham and then you walk straight, across a sort of square and under an arch for maybe 2 minutes. Really lovely - thank you for a great two nights!

• 9th Mar 2013

Hostel Riad Marrakech Rouge

Marrakech, Morocco

The guys who run this place are amazing. Absolutely cannot fault their kindness. Breakfast included was tasty. Did seem to always be a wait for a shower, but that could just be because they were taking a long time - I believe there are three showers. Be aware if you a re a non-smoker that there can be a fairly smokey environment. Very socialble place so perfect for meeting people and LOTS of areas to hang out in. Would stay here again for sure.

• 6th Mar 2013

Surprise Backpackers

I stayed here on New Year's Eve so it's probably not a regular review as there was a big party going on downstairs. All OK, just a pretty average experience really. I'm reviewing this many months after I stayed here - nothing bad jumps out at me from my stay though!

• 31st Dec 2012

Fuji Villa

Yogyakarta, Indonesia

Please note that for visiting Jogyakarta you're about an hour out. There is a free shuttle but the return leg forgot to pick me up and I had to wait until around 10.30pm at McDonalds waiting. Breakfast is AMAZING. Huge choice! Dorm is OK but if I had had the money I would have stayed in a room as they looked incredible! Lady staff was lovely, though when I arrived I was initially overlooked and took some doing to get noticed as I had been put in the wrong room (a room, not the dorm). Nice garden

• 29th Feb 2012

Fernloft City (Chinatown)

Singapore, Singapore

This was one of the most interesting hostels I have stayed in - didn't feel like a hostel. The lady there (Anie?) treated us all like guests to her home. It is a small place - I met only around 7 people there but we all socialised together and were taken out to see the city/get food by Anie and we even had dinner cooked for us by her! There were times when this felt a little overbearing but only once or twice. Very clean, perfect location and good value when claiming the free night in KL.

• 23rd Jan 2012

Backpackers Travellers Inn

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Will happily stay here again when I return to KL. A few people have written about the 'scruffiness' of the place but it was actually a lot cleaner and tidier than I expected. Location is faultless and the staff were very helpful. I didn't use any of the services but it looked as if there were plenty on offer. I stayed in a 3 bed dorm and it was so cheap but it even had aircon. Give it a go!

• 21st Jan 2012

Chhaya Hotel

Battambang, Cambodia

I had read a few reviews of this place before booking and only went ahead because it was cheap! It really is a fantastic location, very central and if arriving by bus they have a driver to pick you up which is nice. It was EXTREMELY loud here as others have mentioned (think maybe there was a wedding behind the hotel though?) but nothing that traveller basics like earplugs shouldn't sort out ;) I know for a fact that my bedding was not changed between guests which wasn't great but for $2? C'mon!

• 30th Dec 2011

Angkor Wonder Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

This place was good enough value for money and only a short walk to the market/main town area but I'm not 100% sure how it has become one of the top rated hostels as it was nothing special. Still, the staff were fantastic - helpful and good English spoken.

• 27th Dec 2011

Hotel Hai Chau

Chau Doc, Vietnam

This was a great place to stay - very friendly and helpful staff. I didn't have time for the breakfast as I had an early transfer but they were kind enough to make sure that I managed to get a quick drink before I left! Fantastic room - very big and clean. Location could not be better. Make sure you visit the local market. Chau Doc itself was the friendliest town I visited in Vietnam.

• 17th Dec 2011

Aoi Garden Home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

I booked for one night here and ended up staying a week. It is peaceful here, but within the moat area so if you want to go out it's really easy. Loved staying here, the twin rooms are really good value and the staff are very friendly and want to help as much as they can. Want to come back for Christmas!

• 9th Nov 2011

Celica Art Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

One of the cleanest hostels I have ever stayed in . Found it a bit tricky to find my way into town - think maybe I lost my sense of direction whilst in Ljubljana! I wish I had stayed in the cells, one day I will return to try them but I left it late so book well in advance as this place was rammed! Lots of options for food. Breakfast was a brilliant spread. Staff extremely helpful. Very unique place to stay - thank you! :)

• 12th Sep 2011

Hostel pod Voglom

Bohinj, Slovenia

Perfect location opposite the lake, option for dinner and good breakfast included. Would recommend!

• 8th Sep 2011

Aivengo Hostel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I found the staff really helpful - especially the guy who checked me in and who shared my thoughts on how awful birthdays are! The location is great and there was a really nice feel to this place - obviously I was also lucky with the people in my dorm. The dorm was really big, lots of space and not very noisy. I would stay here again! Thank you :)

• 10th Mar 2011

Astor Museum Inn

This place was perfect! The staff were really friendly and it has what I can only describe as a 'proper' hostel feel to it! Stacks of helpful info for people visiting London and nice, big, warm dorms! Easy to find and a fantastic location - easy enough to walk to Covent Garden, Strand, Trafalgar Square. Would stay again and recommend!

• 11th Dec 2010

Villa Zora

Plitvice Lakes, Croatia

This was a perfect place to stay to visit the Lakes. I would say that at an amble it took us around 40 minutes to walk there - it's not a difficult walk. The owners were very helpful and very friendly too. No faults! Thank you! :)

• 17th Jun 2010

Petra Guesthouse

Dubrovnik, Croatia

This was the most perfect location! Right off the Strand in Old Town. The home owners were helpful but not intrusive. Great value for money given the location, plus, it is their home too so you feel as if you are staying in a Croatian families home rather than a purpose built hostel.

• 8th Jun 2010

Pillow One Barcelona

Barcelona, Spain

The location is great and you get offered some really tasty pastries and juices for breakfast which is cool. When you first enter the building to go up to the hostel it looks a bit dirty but it's no big deal and the rooms were fine, comfortable enough bed and showers that worked well! The only thing I'd say is that it's at the top and there's no lift so bear that in mind. Great stay overall though. Thank you.

Shining Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

It was cheap, it was central and it was full of noisy/loud-mouthed people when I was there but that wasn't the hostel's fault I guess.

• 29th Jan 2009