Reviews: derektraynor6763

Location: Ireland, Gender: Male, Age: 29

KEX Hostel

Reykjavik, Iceland

Excellent hostel. Well located, good atmosphere, fantastic bar frequented by locals. I gave worst score to the staff. While some members of staff were really helpful and friendly, an Australian receptionist was notably cold, disinterested and unfriendly.

• 25th Sep 2014

Kipps Hostel Canterbury

Canterbury, England

A good place to stay for a stint in Canterbury.

• 12th Jul 2014

Bergen YMCA Hostel

Bergen, Norway

A pretty average place to be honest but given the expensive nature of Bergen, I'm sure it's one of the more affordable places to stay if just passing by for a day or two. Centrally located, close to all the main city attractions. Wifi is a bonus. Would recommend for a simple, no-frills stint in Bergen.

• 14th Dec 2013

Art Hostel Taurus

Bratislava, Slovakia

I really liked this place. I arrived in very low season, so of course there were few travellers about and the hostel itself was quiet. The place is well situated in the old city, easily connected to the main train and bus stations. Small breakfast included which was decent given the room price. Hostel staff are were very friendly. I got chatting with a pleasant girl at the check in desk who provided me with a city map and information on transport links to Vienna. Would absolutely recommend.

• 6th Dec 2013

Hotel Maracuya

San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua

This is a nice hostel with a pleasant and calm atmosphere. Staff are very pleasant. Only negative perhaps was the location, a little bit up a hill and off some dimly lit back streets. Would happily recommend though. Breakfast is included.

• 17th Nov 2013

Hostal El Momento

Granada, Nicaragua

Great place to stay in Granada. Nice relaxing atmosphere, secure and in a good location.

• 9th Nov 2013

Caledonian Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

I give my lowest score to the staff. Found a French receptionist to be rude as was an English girl working at the bar. What would be a very low staff score is offset by other staff members that were the complete opposite.

• 18th Oct 2013

Plug-Inn Boutique Hostel

Paris, France

This is a good hostel well situated in the Montmartre district of Paris. Pleasant staff, decent rooms and a very good breakfast. While there is a security box located beside the receptionist, it would be better if individual rooms had lockers to store your valuables. Overall, I would happily recommend this place.

• 25th Jan 2013

Luxembourg City Hostel

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

A good choice if you're staying in lux

• 14th Dec 2012

Ashton House Hostel

Manchester, England

Funk Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

Only spent one night here. In general the staff were nice and helpful, although one guy was clearly less so. The room was cheap, cheerful and clean. Facilities decent. Location wasn't too bad, but I would have preferred somewhere slightly more central. Good atmosphere if you're a backpacker, plenty of backpackers from Europe and beyond come here.

• 16th Aug 2012

Situs Hostel

Split, Croatia

Generally a good place to stay. Hostel staff are friendly and helpful. The hostel is relatively well situated in central Split close to all the main amenities. Would recommend.

• 15th Aug 2012
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Apartments Marijana

Korcula, Croatia

Can't provide a review because I did not end up staying there. Unfortunately the hostel was overbooked. The apartment owner, did however kindly arrange alternative accommodation, which, for the price we paid, was very good value. Marijana's apartments appeared to be nice, clean and well located. The owner, is relatively new to the business I believe, and was nice, friendly and helpful. Definitely worth trying here if you're visiting Korcula.

• 14th Aug 2012

1201 East Backpackers

Perth, Australia

Where do I start? This hostel is the worst I've experienced in Australia. Terrible value for money; there are better hostels in Perth at a much cheaper rate. The rooms are very hot and stuffy; mine had no windows or aircon. Internet access is a disgrace. Connection is 3rd world, extremely slow - yet priced at $3 an hour. Staff generally rude and have a tendancy to remove your books from your bed when cleaning, placing them on the free shelf. Only go here if stuck.

Hostels are not like at home when mum cleans and wipes the whole day. The cleaning after yourself must be a challenge for you. I guess at the end of your journey you will surprise mum how need and tidy you are. But till this day she will be very worried about you.Be a good when you come hom...

Portal del Sur

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Can be ridiculosly noisy, the computers are lousy and while some staff members are really pleasant others are the complete opposite. On the plus side, it can be a sociable place (if only noise could be regulated better), breakfasts are good and the showers are consistently good.

Ciudad Vieja Hostel

Montevideo, Uruguay

Despite the bad smell that exists at the entrance doorway, this is a good place to meet other backpackers. The staff are friendly and the location is good. However should you be invited to buy football tickets here to see the local team, I recommend you don´t. We were charged several times the face value of the ticket through buying it in this hostel. That was without proper transfers to and from the hostel/or a guide. Despite this, I still recommend this place!

Hostel Estoril

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Excellent place.

America del Sur Hostel

El Calafate, Argentina

Excellent place. Staff were really cool;´Russell Brand´was a legend, as was Ivan. The chica receptionists were cool too (and hot). Would definitely recommend this place; clean, good craic and good value. If I go back to Calafate this will be the place I´ll go to!

Niko's II Adventure

Puerto Natales, Chile

Good place with really helpful staff. Good breakfast included as well. The place was undergoing some renovations while I was there but that wasn´t really too much of an issue. Free transport to the bus station when I left.

Chepatagonia Hostel

Puerto Madryn, Argentina

Good place with very nice and accomodating owners.

Hostel 41 Below

Bariloche, Argentina

Cool place to stay. Real snowboarding vibe there if that´s your thing. I planned 8 nights - stayed 11. Too much alcohol consumed from the nearby ¨South Bar¨. Would happily recommend.

Hostal Backpackers

Pucon, Chile

Excellent hostel which doubles up as a tour agency. This place was excellent. It had a real homely feel and was run by experienced guides who could provide you with all the information you need about activities in Pucon. Good kitchen and internet facilities. Only real downers are that the rooms are cold and the 10am check out time.

Hostel Lao

Mendoza, Argentina

excellent hostel, full stop

Backpackers Hostel Salta

Salta, Argentina

Decent hostel, only real down point is the location. Staff are nice, rooms decent. The meal nights are good too.

I do not know why people complaint about aour location, as if 500 mts from down town is a death marathon. I walk them every day (and I can assure you that my physical state is the worst around the north of Argentina, but I don't even get tired). We do not lie to people about our location, which it;s not centrical but in no way is FAR from the centre of the city. Sadly, we can't do anything to improve this, but if you want to experience what a fabulous hostel is, and how much you can enjoy a place for only $32 per night, you know where to find us. There are other Backpackers Hostels in the city (we own 3) and two of them are completely centrical, located just 80 mts from the main square. But it;s strange how travellers do not book them, come to ours and the complaint about location.

Inti Huasi

Salta, Argentina

Excellent hostel. I stayed in a couple of hostels in Salta and this was by far the best. Staff are incredibly laid back and accomodating. I was allowed to remain in the hostel with full use of all facilities while I waited for a night bus. Definte recommend.

Wild Rover Backpackers

La Paz, Bolivia

Great place for a paaarttty!

Kiswarcancha Inn

Cusco, Peru

There are better places in Cusco.

A nice place, but a bit too far from the center.

Excellent place for a party, bad place for sleep!! all in all great place, but i´d go for somewhere quieter the night before the inca trail!

Travellers Inn

Quito, Ecuador

This place is excellent. It´s spotless and really secure. The owners really try and make your experience a memorable one, you will not meet a nicer family in Ecuador. Thanks Carlos for everything, I appreciate it. I really really recommend this place! The free empanadas were great!