Reviews: IanTheAdventurer

Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 28

UNITY Hostel Skopje

Skopje, Macedonia

This was the second hostel I stayed at in Skopje, and it's the one I will always return to. It's new, right in the centre, secure, has a great, friendly atmosphere, all the amenities you need, and is kept completely clean. The owner works really hard to make it a great place for travelers, and it shows.

• 1st Jan 2014

Little Big House

Thessaloniki, Greece

This is a great place to just relax and enjoy the city. It's secure, the staff are friendly and helpful, and they have all the amenities you could ask for. There's even a kitchenette in the dorm! It's on a hill in old town, but the city is easy to access by bus, or by foot if you don't mind the hill. I found it a great way to work off some of the delicious Greek food. This is definitely where I'll stay on my next trip to Thessaloniki.

• 1st Jan 2014

Hi Skopje Hostel

Skopje, Macedonia

The staff were friendly and helpful. The atmosphere seemed conducive of meeting people. The location was quiet, but very set away from the city. Prepare to walk a lot. Breakfast was included, but was generally served much later than scheduled, so I usually went to the store and made something myself.

• 30th Dec 2013

Hostel Mostel

Sofia, Bulgaria

Great staff, loved that there were power points all over. The food was pretty good and at a reasonable cost. The location was central.

• 29th Dec 2013

The Cozyness Downtown Hostel

Bucharest, Romania

GREAT hostel. The atmosphere was super-friendly and welcoming, the staff were awesome, they had all the amenities you could need, it was clean, and the location was pretty central. This is the place to stay in Bucharest.

• 27th Dec 2013

Retro Moldova Hostel

Chisinau, Moldova

Pretty standard hostel. Good proximity to places you'd like to go in town. It would be nice if there were more than one bathroom open, but thankfully there were very few guests at the time.

• 25th Dec 2013

Hotel Black Lord

Targu Mures, Romania

This hotel has a lot of character, and the staff are super-attentive to your needs. The only real downside is how far it is from town. You can only go to and from the hotel by car or taxi. There's nothing around in walking distance. Luckily, the hotel also has a reasonable restaurant.

• 23rd Dec 2013

Sleep Well Youth Hostel

Brussels, Belgium

The breakfast was great. Everything else was pretty standard. Sadly, of over forty hostels I've stayed in, this is the first place where something of mine has "walked away"...Could have just been a mix-up with the cleaning staff, but if the lockers were of a useable size, this could have been prevented. It's also not very close to the centre. I'll probably try somewhere else next time I'm in Brussels.

• 20th Dec 2013

Hostel Santini Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

Really nice-looking place. Kind of quiet, but great location. I'd stay here again.

• 20th Sep 2013

Hostel Blues

Bratislava, Slovakia

The staff were great, the hostel was secure, fun, and central, and it had all sorts of amenities. The only thing one could ask for would be more power points in the large dorm. I'd definitely stay here again.

• 13th Aug 2013

Day and Night Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

The location of this hostel was pretty good- centred between the centre, the bus station and the train station. The staff answered all our questions. It was great to have a kitchen and internet access. It was off-season, though, so the place was empty and kind of dull. Definitely weren't the cleanest bathrooms I've found- especially the showers, which I had to unclog myself, and still couldn't get to drain. Some of covers and mattresses were badly stained and not very comfortable.

• 23rd Dec 2012

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

Budapest, Hungary

Great hostel! Big, clean, safe, great location. The staff were really friendly and helpful, and there were all the amenities you could need and then some, including a bar, pool table, internet. The breakfast was decent and cheap, and it's always nice to arrive to a welcome drink. I was sad I had to cut my trip to Budapest short, because this seemed like a great place. I'll be back, and I'll be going to Wombats.

• 22nd Dec 2012

Affittacamere Ghega

Trieste, Italy

The location was great- near the train an bus stations. The staff answered any questions we had. There was free WiFi in the lobby. Other than that, it was just a place to sleep.

• 5th Nov 2012

Affittacamere Ghega

Trieste, Italy

Firstly, the hostel staff were super-helpful and accommodating, and the location is excellent. It's close to both the bus and train stations. It's also just a short walk from the port and centre. The hostel itself, though, is very basic. There's a lobby with free wifi, but no common room. The walls are very thin, so you can hear anyone who gets up at night, but street noise isn't a problem. One morning, there was no hot water. Be aware, breakfast is not included.

• 3rd Nov 2012

Yes! Porto Hostel

Porto, Portugal

All-around awesome! Clean, secure, fun, great staff, great amenities, great view, great location. I loved the port motif, self-explanatorily appropriate. The pub crawl was great fun, and the nightly shot as a hostel- can't go wrong! Any time I'm in Porto, I will be staying here.

Way Hostel

Madrid, Spain

Quite a great hostel. It was always kept very clean. The staff were helpful and friendly, even the cleaning staff would say hola. There's a great hang-out room for when you want to chill. The activities the hostel hosts are quite fun. We did a pub-crawl and also went to a Flamenco show. The location is quite central between the main attractions of Madrid. There are also great dinner deals if you're on a budget and don't want to cook. I'd recommend this hostel and already have to other travelers.

It's a nice, big hostel with friendly staff. It's a bus ride away from the main station, but quite near the beach. There's plenty to do- billiards, tv room, free internet, and nightly pub-crawls. There's a big common room/bar for when you want to spend the night partying, and the rooms are on the floors above for when you want to get some rest and...recovery. It's nice and secure with locks on the doors and lots of lockers. I'd definitely recommend it if you're a traveler who wants to party.

Cheers Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

This is a really lovely hostel. It's in a great location for seeing the main sights of Istanbul, and the view from the top-floor bar is breathtaking. The place was always kept quite clean, and there are lockers and 24hr reception to provide security. Breakfast was healthy and fresh and the staff were friendly and helpful. There wasn't a lot to do at the hostel itself and the bar was never really busy, as the drink prices seemed a little high. Overall though, I'd recommend this hostel.

This is a very basic hostel- nothing special. The location has a good proximity to the sights in London, but it's across from a police station and therefore never quiet. It was a place to sleep, although the beds weren't very comfortable. Security seemed to be an issue- a number of visitors claimed they had things stolen. The bathrooms weren't always clean, the shower was cold, the breakfast was just cereal and the staff seemed to just do what they had to. Next time I'll go somewhere else.

Ostello Bello

Milan, Italy

PERFECT! A new and clean place with all kinds of amenities, very near to il duomo, la scala and la galleria. The security was great with keycards and locking luggage cages. The staff was exceptional! So friendly, helpful and fulfilled every strange request I had- an iron, a deck of cards, hot chocolate w/Baileys in it. Not just great employees, but really cool people. I had such a great time here. I live in Italy, and any time I go to Milan, I will without a doubt be staying at Ostello Bello.

• 1st Nov 2011

Langstars

Zurich, Switzerland

A small hostel with big potential! It's just opened, so there are just a couple rooms with lots of beds, but I hope to see it grow. It's in the red-light district, but perfectly safe. The hostel has great security. It's a lot of fun, with a bar and live concerts often. The staff are really cool- backpackers, bartenders- great people. It's also one of the most affordable places to drink and get a pizza in town. This place was definitely built with the best interest of young travelers in mind!

• 30th Oct 2011

Pension Glockenhaus

Innsbruck, Austria

Lovely, quaint little place. It was very clean. I arrived a few hours early, but everything was already clean and ready and I was able to check in. The location is good for going into the mountains or the town. It's a bit of a walk to the station, but there's public transport. Mostly just a place to sleep- no common room to meet people, no breakfast. Also, no locks on doors or lockers, but it's a pretty safe area. The lady who runs it is great! Let me check in early and borrow her iron.

• 29th Oct 2011
  • Globetrotter

Loved the balcony that wraps around the building! Although, it was possible to walk onto this from the hallway and then into any room on that floor from there. There were lockers in the room, but not big enough for luggage. Location's great- right by both the train and bus station as well as the city centre. It was well kept. The staff did their job. There wasn't much going on in the place, though. Breakfast was traditionally VERY light, with no selection.

Four Courts Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

My favourite place in Dublin! Security passes and luggage lockers keep the place safe. Great proximity to the sights and nightlife of the city- right on the river. Staff was friendly and helpful. Lots of common areas- big canteen where there are computers, seems to be the social hub of the place, tv room, reading room w/bookswap. Great place! Love the staircase, too! Oh, and very well kept to boot!

Sleepzone

Galway, Ireland

Nice, big place, off the beaten path (so it's quiet), but close enough to the nightlife to have a great time in a matter of minutes. Didn't see a lot going on in the hostel itself, but the place was clean and the rooms were nice. The staff did their jobs.

Aille River Hostel

Doolin, Ireland

What a beautiful place! You can't get much more character than this. Security's not really an issue- the town's in the middle of nowhere- which is a lot of the hostel's appeal. It's close to everything in the town and just minutes to The Cliffs of Moher and a boat ride to The Aran Islands. The proprietor was great! Personalized tour of the place upon check-in, drew us a map with directions to The Cliffs. The place was peaceful and everyone went to a pub that night for traditional music. Lovely!

Neptunes Town Hostel

Killarney, Ireland

Not my favourite place. Security's great- lots of rules (no alcohol, no guests, curfew), security passes, etc. Seems like overkill in a little town like Killarney, though- really ruined the fun. With the rules, it's hard to like the staff, but they were just doing their job. Location's good, but easy to miss the place- it's down an alley. Could have been in a lot better shape- broken things, toilet seats missing, etc. If Killarney had an alternative hostel, I wouldn't have gone here.

Bru Bar & Hostel

Cork, Ireland

Great place! One of my favourites! Cages under the beds- nice and secure. The place was BUSY, but the staff did a great job at keeping the rooms clean. The location was good (but parking is down the street, not expensive, but not free). I was there for my birthday, and after a night out, came back to the pub downstairs and chatted with the night staff and other guests for hours. Then, realizing I'd forgotten an alarm clock, the night staff came up after his shift to make sure I was up. Bravo!

Beach Haven Hostel

Tramore, Ireland

It's a lovely place- well kept, and the staff was very friendly and informative when we checked in. Nice and secure- front door to the building is always locked, as are the rooms and there are luggage drawers beneath the beds. The hostel's a quiet place (no alcohol allowed), meant for those who want to relax and enjoy the sea view. No worries, though, there are plenty of pubs nearby after your day of bike riding or surfing

Jacobs Inn

Dublin, Ireland

It was an alright place- nothing special. There wasn't much going on at all when I was there. The location was alright- it's hard to find, but very near to the bus station. However, we were driving and parking was blocks away and exorbitantly priced. The staff did their jobs and that was about it. Wasn't much fun- the only computer was broken and the rec. room closed at midnight. It was cleanish, but had some maintenance issues- broken bathroom tiles, again, the computer. Not the best in Dublin.

This is a big hostel with everything you can need- internet, bar, cafe, live music, riverside patio, nearby bike rental and metro station, big lockers (fits three bags!). All in all, a great set-up. The only downside was the small, crowded luggage room. Likely due to most guests having to check out every morning and into a new room every night. That was really a pain. They split up many groups and families. If they fix that, the staff would seem less stressed and the place could be near-perfect.

Fattoria del Bassetto

Florence, Italy

The location of this hostel and building itself are absolutely beautiful! It is an old monastery, but the rooms have lots of outlets- just no heat. They gave us lots of blankets, though. Overall I couldn\'t believe I was staying in such a neat place. The staff\'s great- Daphne was very nice. Dougal took us on a fun wine-tasting tour of Chianti and Otto (dog) was always friendly. It\'s a train ride to any real attractions, but the small town feel is great and Certaldo has all the necessities.

Reykjavik, Iceland

This was my third reservation at RCH and I would definitely book a fourth. A lot of people knock it for it\'s location, but it\'s not bad at all. There are museums nearby, an awesome park (where we were like five minutes from the Björk og Sigur Rós concert!), a tranquil botanical garden, shops and restaurants. Downtown is a walk through a beautiful city, or along the ocean (with a jacket). One would have to have zero taste in aesthetics and no sense of adventure to complain about that. Plus, the bus stop is only thirty seconds away, if you\'re in a hurry. My favourite hostel to date!

Guesthouse Akureyri

Akureyri, Iceland

Guesthouse Akureyri was nice enough. The staff was accommodating. However, one doesn\'t check in at the guesthouse itself, and if you\'re walking, it\'s a few blocks with all your stuff once you check in. There was a mix-up when I got there and I was given a completely trashed room. The staff apologized though, and set me up with a double-bed room at no extra charge. This is not a place to meet fellow travelers- no common room or anything, but hey, it\'s the only game in town!

Reykjavik, Iceland

I stayed in a four-bed dorm for this visit to RCH, and it was really nice- a desk, private toilet and shower. I was doing a lot of excursions- really fun things like snorkeling in the rift between the tectonic plates, all-day Icelandic horseback riding over lava fields, and even a mini-trip to Greenland, all of which the staff helped me find and arrange. I can\'t say enough about the people working there- they even helped me track down a copy of the Icelandic sagas in their native tongue by calling local bookstores for me. Incredible!

Reykjavik, Iceland

This hostel was incredible! I got there and was like, \"Whoa!\" It\'s big, the staff went above and beyond, breakfast was always wonderful. I stayed in a six-bed dorm, but traveled alone. However, the hostel is so big, including a campground behind it, that it was more than easy to meet new friends from around the world, especially with such a well-equipped common room. I met some travelers in the city that were staying in other hostels, and especially after speaking with them, I would never stay anywhere else in Reykjavik.

Grand Canyon International Hostel seems like a run-of-the-mill hostel- tv room, breakfast, tours, etc. It\'s in Historic Flagstaff and the building definitely seems to fit the area. Nonetheless, it\'s well kept. It\'s seconds away from the train track, but the front desk sells earplugs for like $.50 for light sleepers. All-in-all, it\'s a pretty neat place to meet travelers from around the world headed to The Grand Canyon. I realize it\'s an old building...Has anyone seen any strange...visions in the middle of the night here?