Reviews: thescarletmanuka

Location: Australia, Gender: Male, Age: 27

Santa Mix Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I've been to many hostels all over the world and this is right at the top end of the list. Great staff, great accommodation standards for a hostel, aircon, cool rooftop and easy access to major spots in Rio. Especially impressed when staff member (Jorge!) took my advice to learn no women no cry on the guitar so I could officially deem Santa Mix a great hostel :D Loved the 40km bike around town (in the rain) and would def. stay here again.

• 17th Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you so much for your rating. We are very happy for that. If possible, please email us at info@santamixhostel.com.br , letting us know what we can improve to make Santa Mix even better. Sincerely, Santa Mix Hostel.

Sleepy Sam's Bed & Breakfast

Singapore, Singapore

This was my 3rd stay here as my first two experiences were nothing but pleasant. HOWEVER, on this trip, I was absolutely slaughtered by bed bugs. I now look like the elephant man, but red. I am particularly disappointed as after been bitten on the first night, I informed the staff and they said they knew there was a problem and they had already called in exterminators - so they knew there were bed bugs but still let me sleep there. So friendly staff, great locale, reprehensible management.

• 21st Mar 2012
  • Globetrotter

This place is super cheap, which is great, because it is the only positive thing you can say about the place. Staff are more interested in inane conversations with one another than helping customers, only two bathrooms in entire hostel worked, zero chance of sleeping if you get the upstairs room overlooking the street (nightclubs play all night) and roadworks currently start at about 9 (jackhammers!) although at least the roadworks aren't the hostel's fault.

• 14th Nov 2011

Capital View

Washington DC, USA

Great clean hostel. Arrived late and they stayed up late to check me in (I had let them know in advance ... the late fee was slightly exorbitant but not a problem if you arrive before 10pm). Highly recommend.

• 13th Nov 2011

Youthhostel Zurich

Zurich, Switzerland

• 22nd May 2011

Home at The Mansion

Melbourne, Australia

SO CLEAN. One of the cleanest hostels I've ever stayed in...great bathrooms (would it break the bank to get soap dispensers?). Location excellent - trams right outside and Fed Square is about 15mins (brisk) walk away. Could use a better common room area for meeting people. Staff all super friendly.

• 6th Oct 2010

Step Inn Guest House and Hostel

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I wanted to leave a good review since its only new on hostelworld but its a total dive...got ravaged by fleas, toilets 'flush' all over the floor, windows in shower are broken so you flash all of KL, one staff member was helpful but the rest were hopeless...DO NOT STAY HERE

Encounters Hostel and Guest House

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Had a great time here - Martin, the owner, is incredibly friendly and great to chat to about Cambodia's past & present over a drink at night. Breakfast is good - don't order the fruit pancakes as they bake bananas into the mixture and it tastes of rubber. Stick with toast or choc pancakes and you're fine. Location is excellent, only a few minutes walk to the main sights in Pnomh Penh. That being said, my rating is probably a little higher than the place deserves - the bed's are pretty terrible as the

Hotel 89

Siem Reap, Cambodia

More of a hostel than a hotel so slightly trickier to meet people but it's great value for money in terms of what you're getting (and what it would cost back home...about six times the price)...can still get considerably cheaper at one of the main hostels in town but I had a bit of work to do so opted for a single private which with the A/C was a godsend. In house massage was also a thrill, only $6 and more like a chiropractors session, depending on what you want, make sure you realise the difference whe

Great hostel. Anyone who is moaning about the staff either knows very little about China or hostels or both - they were SO helpful. Location is not the most central but you can jump on the metro which is a couple of minutes away and get anywhere in Shanghai for less than one USD so its not an issue.

Chenlong Business Hotel

Shanghai, China

Used to hostels so this was place was a luxury. No bar or meeting area though and a bit pricey...a good option if you can't find anywhere else for a night or two (i.e. because of expo) as its close to the Bund and most of the central Shanghai sights.

The Spring Flower Hostel

Hangzhou, China

Had a late night arrival which I'd informed them of. Taxi driver and I couldn't find the place...called the number provided and it wasn't registered/turned off. Went somewhere else/cheaper instead.

I'm so sorry for the we have no chance to serving you .I'm remember your reservation,and we are really waiting for you deep into the night.We wanted to contact you,but no phone number from you.And when you call me, maybe it's busying at that time. Now we have a map for how to find us in our home. the customers can down it ,then you can find me easy . and if the customers have the China phone number,please do leave your phone number. Thank you so much!

Sleepy Sam's Bed & Breakfast

Singapore, Singapore

Second time I've been here...great place to stop off and pass out if you're spending a couple of days in S'pore on stopover.

• 20th Jul 2010

Hostel One Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

Very nice hostel, great to be there when the snow kicked in. Should probably get the heater in room 3.01 fixed!

Hotel Airone

Venice, Italy

Great value for money and within 100m from train station and easy walking access to Venice, highly recommended!

PLUS Florence

Florence, Italy

Fantastic hostel - one of the best. Staff are super helpful. Pity breakfast isnt included or else it would have been perfect!

Cinque Terre Holidays

Cinque Terre, Italy

Had a really great time but my friends who also stayed here were miles up the mountain. Luck of the draw where they put you so arrive early before the weekend starts for a nicer location.

Mercurio Hotel

Milan, Italy

Pretty bad value for money - although you could probably sum up Milan with those 5 words. Staff arent particularly helpful and dont speak a word of English - not that they should but if you dont speak Italian it will obviously be harder. Dont even bother booking on hostelworld because they have never heard of it. My deposit was money down the drain!

Annie's Place

Alice Springs, Australia

For some bizarre reason they demand you bring a printed copy of your booking or else your deposit counts for nothing... I didn\'t the think the staff were particularly helpful.

Rossco Backpackers Hostel

San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico

Staff are mostly helpful, and will be even more helpful if you´re a blonde chicas from europe....

Mezkalito Hostel

Oaxaca, Mexico

It was pretty quiet when I was there but i suspect thats because the busy season had just finished. Its a lovely place and I would recommend it, particularly if you´ve stayed in one of the partner hostels, I had two free nights here after staying at hostel amigo in mexico city.