Location: France, Gender: Female, Age: 103

Capital View

Washington DC, USA

THE GOOD: Convenient location, full kitchen, nice staff, comfortable rooms. THE BAD: Mattress sagged, showers unnecessarily squalid, final price "to pay on arrival" listed by Hostelworld was wrong (you have to pay extra for taxes etc. when you arrive), inconsiderate guests in the next room were very noisy after midnight (because hostel staff leave at 10 PM so there's nobody to solve problems). THE UGLY: Saw a gun shooting outside our window Saturday night, scared a huge rat in the kitchen.

• 3rd Dec 2014

Clink261

Great location near King's Cross station. Staff were so friendly and helpful. The room was never stuffy, despite so many people in it, because of the wonderful high ceilings with windows. Showers were hot and excellent. I saw one giant cockroach walking in the hall in the morning, but otherwise everything was clean.

• 17th Sep 2014

YHA Oxford

Oxford, England

Room was clean and large. Great location right behind train station. However, the room stank so bad (like old sweaty socks) we had to open the windows when we arrived. We came back at 11 pm, and found our room-mates sleeping with all the windows closed, so we spent an awful night in an airless, stinking room with hot sweaty mattresses. Then, 3 times during the night someone random came in, turned on lights, and left again. They were looking for a bed -- why?!!? Otherwise, our stay was good.

• 12th Jun 2014

B&B Bellini

Catania, Italy

Really convenient central location, with interesting quirky accommodation. Friendly family atmosphere, great breakfast.

• 30th Nov 2013

Hannus Ship Antwerpen

Antwerp, Belgium

Really good fun staying on the boat, a fabulously unusual way to experience the city of Antwerp. Location is excellent, right by the MAS museum.

• 10th Sep 2013

Anadin Female Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

Excellent hostel! Friendly and helpful staff, perfect location in a very quiet residential street near the river and shops. They treat you like responsible adults. I recommend Anadin fully!

• 16th Jul 2013

Vertigo Vieux-Port

Marseille, France

It was the biggest hostel room I ever stayed in! Great hostel, right in the middle of the city near the port. Staff were very friendly and the facilities were excellent. I definitely recommend it!

• 14th Jun 2013

Alexandrie-Montréal

Montreal, Canada

Great hostel, great facilities, great staff. Comfortable beds, good bathroom, kitchen and common room was how a hostel should be! I would come back!

Very nice room, comfortable beds and excellent location next to the beach. The atmosphere is great, very social yet you can sleep when you need to. Thanks for a great time!

Astor Museum Inn

The age limit is actually 34, not 35 as it says on the website. That means you can be 34, but 35 is not allowed. The hostel is right across from the British Museum, with cycle rentals right across the street. The kitchen is well equipped and the staff are friendly and helpful. Thank you!

• 20th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

Fabulous hostel, well deserving of the Best Hostel award. It's what hostels should really be. Easy to get to, excellent location, walking distance from everything, staff are wonderful, facilities great, beds comfortable. Thank you for the best stay ever!!!

• 9th Jan 2013

Leiden Guest House

Leiden, Netherlands

Small but cozy shared apartment. Excellent location in the historic centre (about 15-20 mins walk from Central Station), with lovely canal views and nearby shops. The caretaker made me feel very welcome; is helpful and friendly and she is a mine of local information! I would recommend renewing the shower room and improving shower pressure. This comfortable accommodation would suit friendly, undemanding female travelers.

• 2nd Dec 2012

Astor Museum Inn

Best value for money in London! Great location- practically on top of the British Museum. There is a kitchen where you can cook your own food, and the showers are good, beds are comfortable. You can hire Boris Bikes just outside the door of the hostel. I definitely recommend!

• 31st Oct 2012

Hostel Blue Planet

Paris, France

It is unprofessional and dishonest. When I arrived, I was told they had given my reserved bed to someone else, and there was no more room available. They left me to sleep out in the street, in the dark rainy night in Paris, and did not even try to help. I have been hostelling all around the world since 1999 and this is the first time I've had a problem like this. I think this hostel should be removed from hostelworld.

• 6th Oct 2012

The Dictionary, Shoreditch

Great location in the colourful and vibrant Hoxton Market area. For sleeping in this hostel you will need: ear plugs (for the traffic noise of the busy road), eye-covers (for the street lamp that shines into your face because there are no curtains), and plastic shoes (for the shower that is blocked and overflows into the room). Despite these I enjoyed my stay, staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is unique, and the wifi works well.

• 10th Sep 2012
  • Globetrotter

Thank you so much for your fun loving attitude. You are right - the windows need curtains! We have ordered these slightly specialist curtains to cover those quirky windows we have inherited in this lovely old warehouse building and they will arrive soon hopefully! As for the blocked shower, yes - part and parcel of the trials and tribulations of shared showers. All sorted out now. We hope to see you very soon again!

Orange Plus

Torun, Poland

Lovely hostel in the centre of town, easy to get to all the central restaurants and shopping areas. About 45 minutes walk to the train station over the bridge.

• 18th Sep 2011

Astor Victoria

Lovely atmosphere, good for partying in the lobby yet the rooms are still quiet enough to sleep. The rooms and sheets were clean, shower was wonderful and hot, kitchen facilities excellent. The only thing that detracted for me was there is no place to sit and eat late at night after the kitchen closes. I had a great stay, thanks!

Euro Hostel Glasgow

Glasgow, Scotland

Great location in the middle of town, overlooking the river. My room on the 8th floor was quiet despite the nightclub downstairs! The sheets were clean and bathroom was clean but the shower was blocked (as usual in most hostels). It feels like a hotel (hundreds of rooms on long corridors), but for the price it's a good deal and I would recommend it.

• 5th May 2011

Westend Backpackers

Glasgow, Scotland

Excellent clean rooms, clean sheets, lovely quiet area, I slept very well. Very close to Kelvinbridge station and the local shops of Westend. With the fast & frequent subway you can be in the city centre in less than 10 minutes. Very clean bathroom and shower (although I couldn't get hot water in room 7 at midnight).

• 4th May 2011
  • Globetrotter

Friendly and small, good location very close to the train station. I would recommend it! There is a little market nearby once a week, and it's in walking distance of many important places.

• 7th Dec 2010

Antares Hostel

Nice, France

Excellent train stop over, only 3 minutes' walk to Nice Ville station. Nice courtyard with good kitchen facilities; a fridge for each room; hot showers. The bed was not the best mattress but the room of 4 was quiet. I definitely recommend it!

• 27th Oct 2010
  • Globetrotter

Great hostel inside a pub, staff friendly and helpful, good fast wifi. Perfect place to stay if you are taking the coach - only 10 minutes' walk from Victoria Coach Station with heavy bags. Quiet, green & safe neighbourhood; the room with 15 beds was very calm and I slept easily. Showers clean and adjustable temperature. Spacious rooms with a nice atmosphere and large airy windows for hot weather. I would definitely go again!

• 26th Jul 2010

Hotel International

Manchester, England

Excellent location just opposite Piccadilly station. Double room warm and tidy. Bathrooms clean. Internet computers in lobby. BUT the most awful beds ever- springs jutting into my back! Bring earplugs for noise of train station announcements at night. TO GET THERE: exit Piccadilly station from near AMT Coffee stall & cross the street ahead; turn right & walk back alongside the station 2 blocks. It\'s just after you walk over the tram lines.

St Christopher's Camden

Well situated on the Camden high street beside a market every morning. About 20 mins walk from Euston Station. 20 mins walk to the Regents Park Zoo. Friendly staff. The sheets and shower were CLEAN! Bring earplugs if you're not used to traffic noise. 24 hour bar downstairs means you can get a coffee at 4 am!

Smart Camden Hostel

Excellent central location very near Camden main area. I can\'t remember much else about it, so it must have been good!

Smart Russell Square

You certainly get what you pay for! Beds were clean, but I had a rather sleepless night in a big shared room, with people coming in and out all night and the door banging constantly. They have an insane number of showers in a huge ladies\' locker room, clean, but it took me 3 tries to find one that wasn\'t boiling hot. Female staff were friendly, male staff were helpless (not unhelpful, just helpless to all the problems they had to solve at once). A sign read \"we have replaced all our plastic cutlery and dishes with the washable kind\", but at breakfast (all you can eat corn flakes & toast & juice) we were given disposable spoons and plates (only the bowls were washable)! There is a kitchen, a gym (I think), and social lounge. Good place to go if you don\'t need to sleep!

Liverpool International Inn

Liverpool, England

Excellent central location, easy to get to from the coach station. The noise from the nightclub and students across the street was bearable. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. No lockers in rooms but a locked luggage store downstairs. Kitchen was slightly grim, but who cares when you can get a full English breakfast at the internet cafe next door? I would definitely recommend it.

The hostel has 2 parts: I stayed in the \"far\" hostel the first night - it\'s down the road in the woods, a brand new building with shiny floors and beds. I never thought I\'d see the day when I cursed having a hot shower, but the non-adjustable HOT shower was the last thing I wanted on that hot summer day! After one night alone in the far building, I was moved to the \"main\" building, sharing a 3-bed room with 2 other friendly girls. Rooms have personal lockers with plenty of space. Showers were good. Never had time for breakfast because I was catching the bus into town every morning (pick up the bus at the same stop where it drops you off - to get to the hostel just walk across the field diagonally, behind the bus stop). Bus service is very good and about 20 minutes, and cheap with a multi-ticket you buy at the train station. No kitchen for guests, but who cares when you can have delicious food in town? Washing facilities include a drying line outside. Staff were multilingual and very friendly; a locked luggage store is available too, so don\'t pay for the overpriced ones at the train station!

Ashfield Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

Staff very friendly and helpful. Excellent central location. Big room was quiet. Good kitchen. Communal storage basement for luggage. Internet access and nearby food shops.

Litton Lane Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

Perfect central location, extremely helpful and friendly staff. Excellent kitchen and shops nearby. The female showers are *not* transparent, (just a gap from feet to mid-calf). Bring earplugs: the nightclub opposite stops around 2 am!