Pickwick Hall

The staff were very helpful and the rooms were generally quite clean. The bathrooms on my floor were in need of maintenance, with the shower fixtures hanging off the walls and no longer supporting the showers. I suffered from the lack of curfew as one out of the dormitory of four arrived home at 5am, made quite a lot of noise, then finished waking us up by switching on her laptop and lighting up the room. The location is excellent and very handy for reaching Heathrow by the underground.

Adrenalin Backpackers Hostel

Braunwald, Switzerland

When I arrived at the hostel I was told there would be an extra 20CHF charge for staying for one night only, a charge for bedlinnen hire and a charge for breakfast . Fortunately it was possible to downgrade my room type and infact I paid very little more than the price listed on hostel world. I think this situation is due to a listing problem with the website rather than an sharp practice on the part of the owner, but it is something that needs to be resolved.

Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

Minto Guest House

Edinburgh, Scotland

The lady in charge was friendly and helpful and the room was clean. The bathroom in the multibed room I was in had obviously been recently done up. It was great to have a kettle in the room and be able to make a cup of tea and there were also some wicker chairs by the fire place. This is a big, possibly Georgian house, with spacious high-ceilinged rooms, so I don't think it would feel crowded if full. It was well-heated and has excellent public transport links to the city centre.

Margaret Macdonald House

Glasgow, Scotland

The staff were extremely helpful. I was able to change my booking to spend all my 14 day stay in the same ensuite room. The laundry facilities are very good, I had internet access in my room via a cable purchased from reception,the kitchen and common areas are clean and the building is fairly quiet, apart from a little bit of door slamming at weekends. The location is excellent, about 25 mins walk from Queens Street Railway Station and 15 mins from Buchanan Street bus station.

LSE Rosebery Hall

I had a very quiet room up on the 8th floor with a lovely view over to St Pauls. The standard of accommodation is very much typical for student halls of residence- a bit battered, but clean. Breakfast had lots of variety, but the cooked items were quite cold. The staff are very helpful and the public transport links to theatres and the city centre from the hall are excellent.

Belgravia Rooms

It was very clean and handy for Victoria Coach and train station. The hotel is spread over several houses on both sides of the street and I wasn't sure if there was or was not a staff presence in each house. However, it was still quiet during the night.

Le Regent Montmartre

Paris, France

Bedlinnen was very clean, but the bathrooms really could do with regular cleaning. I stayed for three non-consecutive nights. For the first one, the bathroom actually stank and the shower windows were thick with limescale/grime. When I returned for a two night stay, the bathroom did not smell, but there was still no obvious use of detergent of any kind. It also seems very unhygenic not to have a sink in the WC. The hostel is very close of Metro Anvers and the area fairly pleasant.

Hotel Marial

Lourdes, France

I think this little hotel is excellent value for money. It was quiet when I was there in July. It was very clean and what a treat to have an ensuite room at such a low price!

City YMCA2, London

This hostel was fine for a brief stay. It is in need of refurbishment with stains on the carpets, scuffs on the walls and ingrained dirt around the skirting boards. The actual bedlinen was clean and so was the bathroom. The location was quiet and I felt a bit nervous walking through the tunnel between the hostel and Barbican underground. The staff were friendly, but the weekday people were more organised than the weekend ones. There was a lot of noise pollution from elsewhere in the building

City YMCA, London

I enjoyed my stay here.It was amazing to get a single room in London at such a low price.My 13th floor room had a fantastic view across to Big Ben and Westminster. The walls are quite thin, but silence is kept pretty much from 10.30pm.The Bathroom was incredibly clean.The bedroom was quite worn, but clean.I had to leave early so missed the free breakfast.I also didn't really meet other residents, but I was just there for one night.I would definitely stay here again if I'm in London