Location: England, Age: 38

South Beach Hostel

Miami, USA

Very good hostel. It's definitely a party hang out for the younger types. The free breakfasts and dinners were surprisingly good, as was everything else, although perhaps a few more utensils and cutlery in the kitchen might have helped. They organise events every night!

Auberge NOLA

New Orleans, USA

This is an excellent hostel. It's in an excellent location and the facilities are first-rate. Also the owner is on site and clearly takes a keen interest in the hostel and its guests. It's modestly sized so it's not one of those bustling party hostels, but you can always meet new people out front on the porch or round the table out back. Recommended :-)

Camelot Inn & Hostel

Salt Lake City, USA

I stayed here three nights and it was very impressed. Definitely not a party hostel but nonetheless it's surely the best way to see SLC on a budget.

Thank you for complimenting our value and atmosphere.

Hostel Buffalo Niagara

Buffalo, USA

Very good all round. Excellent facilities. A bit quiet, not a party hostel but then who goes to Buffalo for a party?

HI - Austin Hostel

Austin, USA

Very nice hostel, which is good because there aren't too many others in Austin. I walked from the Amtrak with my backpack because I'm hardcore :-) but I recommend the bus/taxi options to others. Like all HI hostels this place is perhaps a little too square and sedate for some...no alcohol is allowed indoors and it's definitely not a party hostel. But it's a good, clean, secure place to stay. The piano is in tune, very rare for a hostel!

Thanks a lot for your comment Edward! Maybe we'll see you again someday! Cory, HI-Austin

MoonPad LA Hostel

Los Angeles, USA

I liked this place. It's fairly new and the staff are all obviously keen to make it work. However I overheard a lot of staff talk about plans for the hostel: there was lots of talk about 'vision' and 'concept' and rather less attention paid to just making things work properly. Check-in and check-out were both rather vague and drawn-out processes. Start with the basics guys! No real complaints though.

Thank you very much for your feedback!! We appreciate it!

Surf City Hostel

Los Angeles, USA

I got here straight from LAX. The location is great, right next to the beach. The hostel attracts a lot of surfer dudes, friendly and chilled-out types. I think it's more suited to solo travellers (like me) than big groups.

Bounce Sydney

Sydney, Australia

Very clean, secure and well-equipped. It's definitely not bohemian, perhaps a little corporate in its atmosphere, but there's nothing wrong with that per se.

Definitely recommended. The owners believe in what they do and they extend a friendly welcome. It's a quiet place and best suited to solo travellers (like me) or couples, rather than groups. Location is excellent, just off 'Red Square'.

BackHome Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I'd recommend this hostel. The location is great - right next to Masjid Jamek station - and it's a clean, friendly, secure place.

Apple Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

This place is great value for what you get: and what you get is a tiny but clean and completely secure and well-equipped room to yourself, right in the middle of Kowloon. If you want luxury then you're gonna have to pay for it elsewhere - but if you just want somewhere to crash then this is great. It's not really a hostel, it's a micro-hotel.

Hostel Lao

Mendoza, Argentina

Excellent hostel. The location is great - within walking distance of the main bus station, even with the backpack - and the barbecue was fantastic and great value, with great wine thrown in. Very helpful staff too. Recommended highly.

Very nice hostel, lots of character. The location isn't 100% ideal but it's only a short walk to the subway which will quickly take you just about anywhere. Very nice kitchen and terrace...not a huge party hostel, you'll need to go out if you want to hit the bar, but that's not a complaint.

Thomas Grill-Garden

Cusco, Peru

This is a good hostel with good facilities and the staff were friendly and helpful to me. My only complaint was that the whole place seemed to be freezing cold - dorms and common areas alike. (I stayed in mid February). The hostel has a few different blocks and maybe I was in the colder one of the two? I realise Cusco isn't warm in February but a little bit of heating would have been nice!

Excellent location for the Centro Historico and public transport. It's a very charming and grand old building with tremendous character. It's fairly quiet, a bit big and empty, not a party hostel, and well suited to slightly older travellers looking to relax rather than young gap-year types looking to party all night. Personally I loved it.

Hostel Kokopelli

Lima, Peru

Definitely a party hostel - there are always people in the bar and it's very lively at night, although I didn't have any difficulty getting to sleep. Great location in Miraflores, tons of restaurants around, although you'll need a bus or a taxi to get to the Centro Historico. Very good on the whole but definitely better for young party types than for older travellers (I'm kind of teetering between the two!)

A Casa Naranja

Cuenca, Ecuador

I enjoyed my stay here. I'd say it's more of a pension than a hostel, but that's not a bad thing. Better for solo travellers and families than most hostels. I did have a few bed bugs but nothing too bad. Nice and secure and an excellent location in one of South America's prettiest tows. Also the proprietess was very understanding when I rolled in at about 1.30am after my bus was delayed!

Vibes Hostel

Quito, Ecuador

Very friendly and helpful staff, good location, nice bar. The pool table could be slightly flatter though! Also I stayed in one of two 4-bed dorms downstairs which really comprised one big 8-bed dorm because the partition was very thin and not at all soundproof. On the whole though it's a good secure hostel and great value, especially when the drinks are 2 for 1, which they seem to be most of the time!

Flying Pig Downtown

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Excellent location - right in the middle of town. Only complaint is that we were kicked out of our room at 10.30 which is just a little bit too early for an all-night party city like Amsterdam! Otherwise fine.