Reviews: glenster171300

MidTown Hostel

Nottingham, England

The staff are very laid back and mid week it's quite quiet with not many people about. It's in the centre of Nottingham and very close to all you need.

St Christopher's Village

Good stay with nice staff. Arrived jet lagged, but got a very good nights sleep. The only problem is not enough sockets for electronics.

Galle Fort Hostel

Galle, Sri Lanka

The owner was great, even when I broke the awning on the window. The location is good, right in the heart of the fort. There wasn't many people about, so the atmosphere was a little too quiet. Value for money is good and the beds are very comfortable.

Randi Homestay

Negombo, Sri Lanka

I arrived very late at the homestay and the owner was waiting and ready to help. I stayed only one night, but the family would have done anything to help with my travel needs. I kept a bag there for a few nights and arrived late o pick it up, which again was fine. The room was a basic fan room, but very clean, spacious and next to the bathroom which was superb.

Melbourne's Home Hostel

Shenzhen, China

Not a bad place. The staff could have been a little more helpful, but they seemed friendly enough. The mixed room is tiny, but the others were more spacious. Oh there's a curfew. Around midnight to 12:30am ish the doors are locked. Boooooo!

• 24th Feb 2014

Hong Kong Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

It's the first hostel I have been to with space. It has a cat, good staff, one slightly crazy. There are multiple rooms for sleeping so if one is not to your liking, there will be another and the staff are happy to help. All rooms have lockers, there's lots of baggage storage which is needed. Internet in all rooms and reception and 2 computers to use. Free tea and coffee in the mornings and a good atmosphere.

Check Inn HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Great little hostel, though due to it's popularity the price increases a little too much for what it has to offer.

Tr3ats Guesthouse

Cebu, Philippines

Very nice staff and the hostel is small, so there's no problem with being too far away when you need something. The staff do need a little more local knowledge, i.e. how to get to places, the cheapest method, what to avoid etc. Maybe they could have information sheets set up to take away for travellers who are going to certain destinations. Print them out, leave them on the reception and so they are not so bombarded with questions they don't know the answers to. Difficult to get correct info.

Homo Nomad Hostel

Gyeong-ju, South Korea

What sold it for me was the traditional design to the house. It's focal point being the communal room with the heater centre piece. The owner was very nice and it was a very different experience away from the usual South Korean accommodation. A proper home style stay.

The House Hostel

Sokcho, South Korea

The place is great and by far the best place I have stayed in during my trip around South Korea. The staff give you everything you need and help with absolutely everything with excellent local knowledge. It was so nice to have my own tv in the room and be able to relax completely.

Kimchee Sinchon Guesthouse

Seoul, South Korea

It was very cheap, so you get what you paid for. No thrills, but I had a hot shower and a good bed. The staff were very nice, but their local knowledge was limited I thought. No maps available when I was there so I was lost until I found a tourist information which took a long time.

I have travelled to 60 countries and of all the city hostels I have stayed in, this is in my top 3 favourites. It is so well run and although it's a hostel, I have had poorer service in some hotels when on business. I flew from Europe and was very tired and to have such good facilities and things like curtains on the beds and sockets for every bed, it was excellent quality for the price.

Youth Hostel Van Gogh (Chab)

Brussels, Belgium

What was great is the communal area which is very spacious and great. I was in the cheap dorm, which wasn't so cheap and it was a little rustic for the price I thought. The locker area needs a little money spending on it, but I was happy I chose the place. The staff are very helpful.

Bath YMCA

Bath, England

Very nicely surprised that a large facility could be modern, clean and have great facilities. I arrived on a quiet night and had lots of room. The rooms have beds with own reading light and curtains which is very much a rarity. It's not what I would call a party hostel, but if you are willing to make your noises elsewhere and then come back for a good nights sleep, then this is by far the best option. I have stayed in all the hostels in Bath Spa and this is first choice by a long way.

St Christopher's Village

The check in as always is great. Staff are good and once your head is down you get a nice sleep. The place in general needs a lot of money spending on it as although it may be clean, it still looks filthy, especially the showers and toilets. If something is broken it needs to be replaced. People are walking about aimlessly looking for sockets and some rooms have 2 sockets between 14 beds etc. When busy, there's a lack of areas to go to, but on a quiet night, more room, more sockets and better.

Hi, Thankyou for your feedback, its important to us and it helps us a lot. We are working on updating our facilities but due to the age of the building, there are a lot of procedures to go through first. Apologies for the lack of sockets, we are working on all these issues. Glad that your welcome from our friendly staff was as it should be and we hope to see you again at some point. Safe Travels St Chris Team, Village

• 4th Dec 2013

St Christopher's Village

They now have multiple sockets in the large dorms, which is like Christmas to those with devices. The beds are super comfy and the cheap rooms are pretty big.

Hi There, Thanks a lot for taking the time to review us, it means a lot and we can learn a great deal from them. Glad you found your stay at the Village enjoyable and we hope you choose us again in the future. Stay safe and happy travels St Chris team, Village

Ani & Haakien - Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands

A great location near the train station and near many Asian food stores/stalls. It's a great place to meet some people, cook your own food in a very good kitchen and a good back yard to sit in. The beds and lockers are new and everything works great. The atmosphere is always good and there's a healthy mix of nationalities to make it more fun.

• 3rd Oct 2013

Hostel Strowis

Utrecht, Netherlands

One of the best city hostels I have stayed at in the Netherlands. The common room is the big charm and it has all you need for a comfortable evening in. Just around the corner from a cheap supermarket and altogether a charming place. It's a shame you have to pay extra for bedding (I hate extra unnecessary costs). By allowing people to bring sleeping bags in will at some stage create a bed bug problem.

• 2nd Oct 2013

EastSeven Berlin Hostel

Berlin, Germany

It's one of the best city hostels I have stayed at in Europe. The staff are very helpful, the kitchen and facilities are excellent and all round it was a great place to stay in the heart of the city.

• 21st Sep 2013

St Christopher's Village

A standard busy London hostel. No frills, busy with screaming groups and it's one of those places where they would need constant cleaning to keep up with the volume of people. Not special, but not bad either. I suppose it's a typical all emphasis on making as much money as possible, but it wasn't awful. More cleaning needed especially in the evening after heavy use. More sockets needed too. Would be nice to see better/newer facilities to match the increasing prices and hidden costs.

• 4th Jul 2013

Fauzi Azar Inn

Nazareth, Israel

One of the best hostels I have stayed at in 20 years I have been travelling. The staff are friendly and helpful, the building itself is great and I love the way you can get tea, coffee and cake anytime during the day. The free tour was a bit weird. Knowing the tour wasn't based on the churches I thought I would learn a little more about the history of the city, but in the end came away scratching my head. No I didn't have head lice. Very erm........, different.

• 2nd Jul 2013

Oasis Hotel Luxor

Luxor, Egypt

Good location near to the train station. Staff were okay and happy to help. The tour was well organised and it was good to have tea on the roof. If you need to organise transport or tours, you are right near the bus and train station so do it yourself. I got lazy, paid the extra, but saw how much commission he gained. I also paid extra bribes for getting on a full bus. I was lied to multiple times by the staff and knew that once the money has exchanged hands, they have no interest in you.

• 5th Jun 2013

St Christopher's Village

Nothing super special, but okay. It's very young, fairly noisy, but you can often get a cheap bed here. The staff are nice and the location is great and right opposite a supermarket.

• 4th Jun 2013

Ecohostel Andromeda

Gent, Belgium

It was a real treat to have stayed in a converted barge. It was so nice. Super clean and quiet with very modern and workable facilities. The breakfast is about the best I have ever had at a hostel. To have good bread, chocolate, cake, bloody good coffee, fruit and jam that doesn't glow in the dark/has never seen a fruit. It's good to taste hostel food and very unique.

• 27th May 2013

St Christopher's Village

Unfortunately if you want to store luggage and you are not part of a group then you have to rent a locker. The hostel is quite clean although the shower facilities have been around for a while now and are looking a bit dirty. The only other thing is to try and ask for a room on a different floor from the groups as they are pretty loud and the kids run around until the early hours. Apart from that it's okay. The breakfast is good, location the best and sometimes they have really cheap beds.

• 23rd Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hey Glen! Thanks for your feedback! We're happy that you liked our hostel. As for the lockers, we do have lockers to rent but we also have free ones for every bed. Although we pride ourselves as a party hostel, we make sure that our guests always gets a good night's rest. So do let us know if your room is not up to your standards! Cheers!

There was a picture slightly out of place in the common room. To add there was a Spanish youth touching himself on the sofa.

• 21st Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hi, many thanks we'll have a look. Hopefully the two aren't connected.

Journeys Brighton Hostel

Brighton, England

The atmosphere is more lively, but it's a 'Spanish club' and if you want to sit in the common space and have quiet moments, it's unlikely. The security lockers are small, so large laptops etc won't fit. The beds are triple bunks in the big rooms. A middle bunk is really designed height wise for a 12 year old boy with stunted growth. The room is very dark, so it's easy to lose your things and the main light is very weak. It was cheap, so good value and staff are nice.

• 8th Apr 2013

MidTown Hostel

Nottingham, England

Great staff and a very relaxed place. You could get seasick from sleeping on the beds as they move all night. They have tried to make the best out of the hostel and despite only 2 bathrooms, it works quite well. Excellent location.

• 26th Mar 2013

BackHome Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My third time in the hostel and still the best in KL.

• 16th Feb 2013

Thaksin Grand Home

Krabi, Thailand

• 14th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

You get what you pay for. It's not expensive, but the hostel itself isn't a place I would want to spend much time. It had hot water, beds with clean sheets and the staff were nice.

• 21st Jan 2013

Mango53 Inn

Taipei, Taiwan

A very nice place. The staff were great and very helpful. The accomodation was fine and with all the new hostels in Taipei, the layout was very nice and thought had been put into a home away from home.

• 20th Jan 2013

Shophouse The Social Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

One of the best city hostels I have ever been in. It's a shame they haven't got an indoor volleyball court though!

• 8th Jan 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thanks! We'll be sure to put down an indoor volleyball court as part of our hostel wishlist Haha

MEININGER London Hyde Park

It was surprisingly good. The breakfast was a b&b standard and the staff very helpful. Shame there were no individual reading lights and free internet, but the place was very good.

• 31st Oct 2012
  • Globetrotter

Security is a little worrying. I could get in and out of all doors as the doors were never locked although they had key pads on the door. Has a nice sleep though.

• 23rd Oct 2012

Kvartiri Pazvantovi

Sozopol, Bulgaria

The downsides were that the accomodation is slightly further up the hill in the new town. I knew this before booking, so it was okay. It's such a shame that the old lady doesn't speak any other language but Bulgarian, but bless her she was very good and always had a little something to say even if I couldn't understand a word. The place is excellent. Not there for atmosphere, but to chill out and that was also excellent. Very clean and incredible value for money.

• 13th Jun 2012

Yo-Ho-Hostel

Varna, Bulgaria

Difficult to really grade the hostel as it was under refurbishment. However some of the staff were nice, some didn't really seem to care. They were focussed on a large group coming in and all their focuss was on their arrival. later at night met people who were not staying there, but brought in by drunk guests. No lockers, despite them saying so on their website. Use only of a large safe where you left your bags with no labels on them so anyone could have claimed a bag. Naughty naughty!

Hostel Mostel Veliko Tarnovo

Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria

• 8th Jun 2012

Astor Queensway

When first checked in, the reception was more bothered about talking to her mates and looked at me with a look of dread, probably because I was going to give her something to do. The other negative was that at 5'6" I nearly span the length of the bed. Any taller, and it could have been a very interesting nights sleep. Otherwise it was quite clean, but wouild certainly look for something better in the same price bracket.

• 27th Mar 2011

Bath Backpackers

Bath, England

Plenty of room and a very sociable stay with the staff and random guests. IT has a good kitchen which is well equiped and good for people like me who enjoy cooking.

• 4th Oct 2010
  • Globetrotter

It was clean, the staff although busy were very helpful and despite the hostel being on top of a pub, it's super quiet up there and I had a great nights sleep for a change in London. The only thing was that there are no lockers so you entrust all your valuables to the safe somewhere behind the bar!?

Need more power sockets. Couldn't switch the radiators off so cooked all night and opening the window would only encourage the 'surround sound' of London's nightly noises, sirens, traffic, drunks singing, fighting and if you're really lucky, couples fornicating uo the alley! Ooh

Bath Backpackers

Bath, England

There's been alot of decorating since I last went there, new carpets and paint work in most if not all rooms. As well as free small lockers for those personal valuables, they now have free luggage storage for those that are leaving the next day and don't want to carry their bags around with them until they leave.

Need free lockers especially for those who have own locks. If lockers are broken, fix them, most of the people staying had cold showers, more sockets and get new mattresses as they are old and lumpy. Basically they need to spend money!

St Christopher's Village

Need more hangers on doors i.e. somewhere to hang your bits (ooer) when showering. Also not nea enough lockers.

Smart Hyde Park Inn

Very cramped rooms. Deposits etc and if you want to have your own locker you need to buy a key at £1.50! Slow checking out and although the staff tried it's a very floored system!