Reviews: chatachak2109

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 70

Perth City YHA

Perth, Australia

Smashing place. I thought the location by the train station was a plus, not a debit. I heard no train noise at night. But peraps being deaf helps.

Khaosan Kyoto Theater

Kyoto, Japan

Friendly, charming and cosy place in the heart of the fabulous city of Kyoto. Excellent. Easy walking distance -- if you fancy it, and I did -- to the myriad sites of the city and to the main Kyoto station. Situated right in the heart of the busy shopping district.

Thank you very much for the comment! we hope you enjoyed all the sightseeing at the endless interesting spots in Kyoto that are basically easy-access by bus or trains from our hoste :) Next time you are here, i hope you can catch the hostel party, too! Arigato again!

Great little place. Splendid location, friendly dog.

Akkogate Guest Hostel

Akko, Israel

As a great fan of the noble Saracen known to the nominally Christian West as Saladin, I was tickled beyond pink that the hostel was on Salah ad Din Street. But that's just me. Great place, all in all. Loved the fridge in the room.

Cosy is indeed the word. Small, charming place, very well located for the best of Tel Aviv. In the major dorm room downstairs, the shower is, shall we say, intimate -- not for the squeamish. A great plsce, all in all. Like Gen. MacArthur, I shall return.

Abercorn House Hostel

Finally, I have the answer why Abercorn House has the odd policy of not supplying cooking utensils though it has copious kitchens. It all has to do with the poor housekeeping habits of some hostel guests twinned with the Abercorn emphasis on cleanliness and hygiene. Good show, Abercorn. After many nights in hostels infested by filthy young people who cannot clean up after themselves, this attitude is a breath of freshness. Abercorn House, you now are my Number One pied-a-terre in London.

YHA Salisbury

Salisbury, England

Comfortable and very convenient for Stonehenge and the magical city of Salisbury.

Things Fall Apart, says the title of Chinua Achebe's best-known novel. So, apparently, does Palmer's Lodge. Deterioration since I last stayed there a few months ago stunned me. I brought a group of 14 based on previous experience there. Wrong move. The staff was inefficient and sometimes rude. Lights and electricity points at bedside did not work -- and were not fixed despite pleading. And the place was in chaos because of renovation. I was promised a guest kitchen would be installed, It wasn't.

• 12th Mar 2014
  • Globetrotter
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Wifi was patchy and staff seemed puzzled by how to reboot the router. But hell, we weren't in Cusco to peruse the Internet. Would have been nice, though, to check email more readily. Great hostel otherwise. My favorite bolthole of choice when next I am in Cusco. And I shall be in Cusco again. Beds were comfy and well outfitted with individual reading light and power point. Well done, Millhouse.

Sumac Chaska Hostel

Ollantaytambo, Peru

The best thing about Sumac Chaska Hostel is its location in the brilliant and lovely Inca village of Ollantatambo. The hostel is on a cobbled street in a place that positively reeks the glorious Inca history. The bed was comfy and warm and the hosts were hospitality itself. A wonderful hostel in a wonderful place for a wonderfully cheap price. Muchas gracias, amigos.

You are very welcome, please come again :) thank you for the review.

Pariwana Hostel Cusco

Cusco, Peru

Great place, all in all. My second favorite in Cusco. Comfortable beds and great chilling out spaces. Kitchen was a nice feature. But .... each time I used it, it was filthy. Not the fault of the staff, who do their best. But someone needs to tell the brigades of people who use it and do not clean up that their mothers are not with them on the trip. Such a shame that such revolting behavior mars an otherwise brilliant hostel.

Dear guest, thank you for your comment, very sorry about the kitchen troubles you tell us, we are going to put bigger announces to "Keep it clean", and also we are going to do our best to be your favorite hostel at Cusco and the world, waiting for you again, to make you feel at home, best regards, Pariwana Cusco Team

HI - New York City

New York, USA

My fourth or fifth stay at this hostel. It's expensive, but hey, it's New York.

HI - San Diego - Downtown

San Diego, USA

Smashing place. Great, hospitable, competent staff. Everything cuts the mustard. Nice warm showers and, yes, warm water at the sinks for shaving ... unlike at that other hostel, which shall remain nameless. Street noise from the jollities on the streets below wafts up into the norms. But hey, it's the Gaslamp Quarter. Fun and games, noisy fun and games, are all the rage. Highly recommended hostel.

Thanks a bunch! You were an awesome guest! See you next time for sure. All the best. HI San Diego Downtown

HI - New York City

New York, USA

I last stayed at this hostel eight years ago. Like the louche and minatory city of New York itself, it has come up in the world since then. It has the greatest kitchen of any hostel I ever have stayed at -- and that's plenty. Beds and rooms were satisfactory and the showers were fine. One bad touch in the bathrooms, though, Unlike the showers, that had copious hot water, the sinks supplied only cold. This give a sharp shock in the mornings when one is shaving. That's a small caveat though.

I stay often at Palmer's Lodge and I'd always bemoaned the lack of a guest kitchen in this favorite bolthole. This trip we discovered a guest microwave. Added to the plentiful free dishes and cutlery, this vaults PL to the top of my London hostel list. Sorry about that, London Eye hostel. The PL free brekkie is much, much better, too.

Hello. Thank you so much for your comment. It's good to know you enjoyed your stay with us even more than last time. And here's some good news for your next visit: soon we will be opening a guest's kitchen. And the breakfast will be having some improvement as well. See you soon!

Derwentwater Independent Hostel

Lake District, England

This hostel gets top marks on everything. A truly wonderful and blessed place. As the estate agent vultures say, location, location, location. But the staff, the amenities and the accommodation itself also cut the mustard. Heartily recommended. And a big shout out to the remarkable and redoubtable Kath.

Ciudad Vieja Hostel

Montevideo, Uruguay

Good place to stay in calm Montevideo and its charming old city. The stairs are a little steep entering the hostel for untested travelers lugging too much luggage. The place has two kitchens; that makes it difficult to find the fridge where guests can store their perishable comestibles. Still, I worked it out after muttering just a few oaths. Stayed earlier in El Viajero Centro. Think I preferred staying here because of the nighttime noise at Centro. Old City much better for getting shuteye.

I tried hard to find something to dislike about this hostel because I didn't want to appear panglossian. But my search was in vain. I liked everything about El Viajero Brava Beach -- even to Lucas the hostel cat. Great stay, great bed, great breakfast, great staff, great en-suite bathroom with copious hot water. A splendid place to stay and chill out in the chill-out capital of South America, Punte del Este. I already have marked my dance card to return to this haven for weary travelers.

Thanks Bernard, it make us really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Always welcome, regards El Viajero Staff

Hostel Suites Florida

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hostel Suites Florida was smashing -- save for one thing. The guest kitchen was much, much too small to be serviceable. Yeah, we know you have a restaurant downstairs that sells food. But could you, please, think, of the travelers who -- for various reasons, not just cost -- cannot patronize restaurants so often? That one important caveat aside, Hostel Suites Florida is an excellent and welcoming base for exploring South America's Big Apple.

Abercorn House Hostel

A beautifully clean and well locates hostel with a hint of eccentricity. Apart from that, the place would be damn nigh perfect. It has four floors with toilets and showers and kitchens on each floor. Each dorm room has a fridge for storing one's food. And here's where the eccentricity comes in: A kitchen on each floor is ultra convenient, but .... not cooking pans or utensils are supplied by official hostel policy. How odd. And how annoying. My kingdom for a few pots and pans.

Nowhere to sit but in the pub. No kitchen. No life. A pretty dull hostel.

Hi, Sorry that you feel their is no life in our hostel. We have 6 nights of entertainment in the bar with DJ's , 241 drinks deals, 25% off food, two Sky television boxes showing all major HD sports. We are also located within walking distance of cinema's / theatre's and one of the biggest shopping centres in Europe. In the nearby area are restaurants / bars and we are 5 mins from the Thames river and all it has to offer. We feel that life is what you make of it! Enjoy the rest of your travels!

A guest kitchen would make this top of the heap. Ah well, there's a fish and chip shop nearby.

The bumf on this hostel said there'd be a kitchen. The place didn't live up to that billing. Pity, really, because otherwise it's a charming and cool hostel. A Quebecois couple staying solved the problem by using a small portable stove in the splendid chill-out room. Me, I suffered the slings and arrows of restaurants. A kitchen, as promised, would make this a first-class joint.

Dear Bernard, we have never said there is a kitchen. We do NOT have a kitchen. Only restaurant with discount for our guest. If you read carefully you will see you were wrong about the kitchen. Kind Regards.

SR Backpackers

Saranda, Albania

SR Backpackers would be just a good hostel were it not for host Tomi. He makes it excellent. Nay, he puts it into the stratosphere of hostelry. The man is a marvel. He was understanding when I missed my ferry and had to rebook; he even met me at the ferry dock when I arrived and shepherded me to the hostel. Tomi (Mr. No Problem) cooked guests breakfast each morning and a wonderful calamari dinner. He is an honored man among hostel hosts -- and rightly so. Tomi, I thank you. And I bow to you.

HI - Monterey

Monterey, USA

Great fun. Comfortable -- except for the guy who snored all bloody night. It was great to fnd, finally, that I was not the oldest habitue of the place. Good all round

A little more up-market than I usually choose in a hostel. But worth the money. It is now my second choice for a London bolthole -- after the fleapit I usually choose for pecuniary considerations. If Palmers Lodge had a guest kitchen, it might could vault to the top of my list -- and hang the expense, which ain't that much, after all. Get a guest kitchen and I shall love you the way the Obama worshippers love their tarnished messianic dear leader. You'd be better value for money, anyway.

USA Hostels San Diego

San Diego, USA

I once stayed in what was billed as a five-star hostel; didn't hit the mark. The USA Hostel makes no such claim. But it should. It's at least four stars. Everything was pitch perfect, from the sprightly staff to the spotless kitchen and bathrooms, to the free breakfast and the personal bed pods with reading lights and two (two!!!) electric outlets. Just one caveat: The noise from the street outside. Hardly the hostel's fault. It is, after all, bang in the middle of the party hub Gaslamp Quarter.

National Park Backpackers

Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica

Some hostels bill themselves as five-star and fall short. This one doesn't claim that exalted rank -- but it should. Absolutely one of the best hostels we've stayed at in decades of hosteling. Magnificent setting, cheek by jowl to the national park; courteous, considerate and helpful staff; a splendid pool and -- good thing in Costa Rica -- grand air conditioning. For my money, one of the best hostels in the known world. Rock on.

Monteverde Backpackers

Monteverde, Costa Rica

Spartan but cheerful place. OK when it comes to any port in a storm. And Monteverde is plenty stormy.

Costa Rica Backpackers

San Jose, Costa Rica

Staff was a great introduction to the hospitality and charm of the Costa Rican people. This was a pretty good place to land for my first night in the country after a flight from the US. Just a short walk to the center of San Jose, past interesting museums and pretty parks. Hostel had a super pool, a good restaurant, and hammocks for loafing. Thumbs up.

Hotel Formule 1Kings Cross

Sydney, Australia

A cheap hotel of the French pop-in, pop-out type. Handily located on William Street, hard by King's Cross station. Therefore, just right for walking into town and catching the train to the airport. It was a fine place to spend our last night in Sydney after wanding Oz.

Base Sydney

Sydney, Australia

A mass-market hostel from a Down Under chain that does a damn good job. It is Base by name and abase by nature. Great kitchen; a laundry; even an iron. Good place to establish oneself while settling in to Sydney. It even came with entertainment -- of a sort. A good-looking young woman who shared our dorm came home (metaphorically) early one morning with a man she had picked up somewhere. We woke to the familiar sounds of rumpy-pumpy. Then we saw them at it. Hospitality, indeed.

City Hostel

St. John's, Canada

I was in Newfoundland for a trip to L'anse aux Meadows and for St, Pierre et Miquelon. But my stop in St. John's was a treasure, partly because of City Hostel. The place is placed squarely in the middle of the Heritage area. It was very comfortable, easy to find in the city and the staff was very hospitable. Very amused and charmed to find the receptionist who greeted me was from Estonia.

Snuffel Backpacker Hostel

Bruges, Belgium

It quicky became one of my favorite hostels anywhere, in a long lifetime of traveling the globe and hostelling. Full marks to all concerned. Great fun, great breakfast, great wifi, great fellow travelers. Keep it up.

Nomads Fat Camel Hostel

Auckland, New Zealand

I lost a couple of hundred bucks at Fat Camel. And I have a more than sneaking suspicion that one of my fellow guest nicked it from my wallet while I was in the shower. Can't prove it. And there's nothing the hostel could really do to stop that. But still .. it sours the otherwise good experience.