Location: Netherlands, Gender: Male, Age: 38

Five Reasons Hostel

Nuremberg, Germany

Modern, spotlessly clean and very centrally located hostel with a friendly and helpful staff. The hostel also offers top-notch security with keycard access and lockers in every room. In this light, the design of the showers in terms of privacy is strikingly odd. Unfortunately, I found the hostel not to be very lively. Perhaps the time of year? Nevertheless, I would stay here again the next time when I'm in Nuremburg.

• 31st Mar 2014

MEININGER Amsterdam City West

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Although I stayed here only briefly, I had a pleasant stay. The Meininger is a massive place offering spotless and spacious rooms with ensuite bathroom and top-notch facilities. Although its location next to the Amsterdam-Sloterdijk railway station and amidst office buildings is very convenient, there is nothing of interest in its vicinity. I found its staff to be very attentive and helpful. Having been to other Meininger Hostels before, this one offers clearly a livelier common area.

• 23rd Dec 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for your comment, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you again at the Meininger Hotel in Amsterdam! Your Meininger Team Amsterdam

A massive place offering clean and spacious rooms with ensuite bathrooms as well as excellent security and facilities. Its location opposite the Augustiner brewery is not too central (30 minutes' walk to city centre), but with the nearest tram stop at only 100 metres from the hostel one can get around easily. This place seems to attract mostly groups and families, making it more of a budget hotel rather than a true backpacker hostel.

• 29th Oct 2013

Stone Hotel & Hostel

Utrecht, Netherlands

Nice hostel in a convenient location that allows the beautiful city centre to be reached in a mere five minutes' walk and the railway station in a fifteen minutes' walk. Its staff is consistently very kind and helpful, whereas its fully equipped kitchen is a definite asset, too. On the downside, I stayed in a rather cramped mixed room that comes with a tiny bathroom with a semi-transparent sliding door that offers little privacy.

• 27th Oct 2013

EastSeven Berlin Hostel

Berlin, Germany

After having stayed at another, much larger and rather anonymous hostel in Berlin, the EastSeven Hostel was a delight. It's a small hostel with spacious and spotless rooms as well as a friendly and homely atmosphere. Its location is simply fantastic, offering a plethora of boutique shops, cheap eateries and cafés nearby. Thanks to the nearby underground station, other parts of Berlin can be easily reached, too. Overall, a great hostel that comes highly recommended.

• 21st Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

A massive place offering top-notch amenities and spotless yet tiny rooms with ensuite bathrooms. Although its location right next to Berlin's main railway station is very convenient, there is nothing of interest in its immediate vicinity. In addition, the WiFi-connection was sketchy most of the time and the hostel seems to cater mostly to groups and families. In the end, the lack of a sociable atmosphere made me decide to move to another, smaller hostel in Berlin.

• 17th Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

We are glad that you had a good time and we feel sorry if you did not like the atmosphere. We created our guest kitchen, breakfastroom and public areas in a way that should give you the oppertunity to communicate with other people and our reception is open 24/7 to make sure that you get any support you need. But if there was something about the atmosphere you didn't like we still have to work on that! Thank you very much for your feedback! Your MEININGER Team

Hostel Alex30

Stuttgart, Germany

Small and friendly hostel at a convenient location just outside the city centre of Stuttgart. I found its staff to be very helpful and they ensure the place is kept clean. Except for the breakfast, the hostel offers good value for money.

• 14th Oct 2013

Tiger Tim's Place Privates

Budapest, Hungary

After having stayed at another, much larger hostel in Budapest I appreciated the friendly backpacker atmosphere of this small hostel opposite the Nyugati station. I also liked there are shops and eateries aplenty in the vicinity of the hostel and that both the attractions in the city centre and the former Jewish Quarter can be reached in some 15 minutes walk. Hence, Tiger Tim's Place comes definitely recommended.

• 9th Oct 2013

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

Budapest, Hungary

Brilliant location in the former Jewish quarter that also allows for easy access to the tourist attractions in the city centre. The surrounding area also offers plenty of nice and cheap little eateries. Although the rooms are spacious, clean and come with top-notch amenities, having stayed at other Wombats hostels before, it surprised me that the Wombar isn't lively at all. Moreover, with groups of school children and a bit of a sterile feel, the hostel felt more like a budget hotel.

• 2nd Oct 2013

Guesthouse Salzburg

Salzburg, Austria

It's an old-school youth hostel with a different twist. One should expect school children rather than backpackers. Although the Jufa comes with a kind staff, a convenient location and good amenities, the bunk beds in small basement dorms are the drawback here. Nevertheless, it still offers good value for money.

• 1st Oct 2013

Home Made Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

This hostel is simply brilliant in every way! What distinguishes it from other places is the truly fantastic staff who are increadibly welcoming and who all speak fluent English. They consistently are very helpful and friendly, supplying you with spot-on recommendations for a perfect stay in Budapest. A true backpacker hostel with a cosy and sociable atmosphere rather than an anonymous flashpacker budget place.

• 23rd Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

To be honest, I expected more of the hostel and its location in Ehrenfeld. Although the location next to underground station Piusstraße is convenient, the hostel still is out of the way from all the attractions. Nevertheless, the hostel comes with a cosy café, where I enjoyed the African lentil soup and the Tannenzäpfle at the bar.

• 26th Aug 2013

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

It's the third time I stayed at the Wombats City Hostel in Munich. I guess that says enough. Thanks to the receptionist for sorting out the booking issue I had!

• 22nd Aug 2013

The Cat's Pajamas Hostel

Berlin, Germany

I had a short but pleasant stay at the Cat's Pajamas Hostel. It's a spotless hostel with comfy bunk beds and top-notch amenities. It even comes with a fully equipped kitchen for a change. I liked the modern and hip interior as well as the bicycle hire, though I haven't fallen in love with the location just off Hermannplatz.

• 16th Aug 2013

Berlin, Germany

After having visited forty odd hostels across Europe and stayed at the Grand Hostel no less than five times, I can say this place can't be faulted! I especially like its convenient location, its quirky interior with a nice atmosphere as well as its friendly and very knowledgeable staff. I would be happy to stay there another time!

• 14th Aug 2013

Hostel Krumlov House

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic

Although I found it a quirky and quiet hostel in a convenient location, the Krumlov House just failed to impress me after having visited forty odd hostels across Europe. The hostel doesn't organise any events itself, which is fine to me if the staff would provide adequate information. Unfortunately, the knowledgeability of the American receptionist regarding things to see and do in lovely CK fell short and did not exceed the very basics.

• 1st Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

Sorry we failed to impress. As we are the highest rated hostel in Cesky Krumlov, we do have the added problem of having to live up to everyone's expectations. Our hostel is for independent travellers who don't need organized activities , so perhaps you would have been happier someplace else. But giving such a low rating to our friendly staff member ( who was in training when you arrived) is a bit unfair.

Circus Hostel

Berlin, Germany

Centrally located hostel with a plethora of quirky bars and shops in its vicinity. The rooms are spotless and come with comfy beds. Although the facilities generally are top-notch, I found the lockers inconveniently small and my key-card frequently hesitated.

• 25th Apr 2013

Casa d'Alagoa

Faro, Portugal

The Casa d'Alagoa was a pleasant surprise during my holiday to Portugal. A nicely renovated building on a central location in Faro. Very friendly staff and a dito atmosphere. I enjoyed a nice dinner at the hostel and a night out at The Jam. When staying in Faro, the Casa d'Alagoa comes highly recommended!

• 20th Sep 2012
  • Globetrotter

I found Pensão Policarpo to be a charming guesthouse on a convenient location in the city centre of Évora and with a very helpful staff. The thing I didn't like, though, was the noise from the traffic in the street at the back of the guesthouse. In addition, the security (locks and lockers) could also be better. Still, this guesthouse offers a great value for money.

• 17th Sep 2012

Travellers House

Lisbon, Portugal

Now, I've been to quite a few hostels, among which the Hoscar-winning Jetpak hostels in Berlin, but the staff at the Travellers House are hands down the best ever! Always welcoming, friendly and helpful with great recommendations. For the rest, it's got an excellent location, top-notch facilities and a truly superb atmosphere. Travellers House, you deserve the next Hoscar!

• 12th Sep 2012

Serenata Hostel Coimbra

Coimbra, Portugal

As far as the design and the facilities are concerned, I have never seen anything quite like the Serenata Hostel: simply amazing. On the other hand, the Serenata Hostel definitely lacks atmosphere and felt anonymous to me. The lounge and the bar are empty most of the time. If you want to meet other travellers, you're probably better off elsewhere. That's a pity.

• 10th Sep 2012

Aveiro Rossio Hostel

Aveiro, Portugal

I only stayed here for one night, but really liked the Aveiro Rossio Hostel for its lovely design and homely atmosphere. I wish I had stayed longer. The Aveiro Rossio Hostel comes highly recommended!

• 9th Sep 2012

Porto Spot Hostel

Porto, Portugal

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Porto Spot Hostel. It's the friendly and helpful staff together with the top-notch facilities and pleasant atmosphere that make this hostel. The location could be better, though. In addition, it would be nice to have cooling (airco/ceiling fan) in the rooms, because it gets bloody hot at night. The free walking tour by Pancho Tours was a nice way to get to know Porto.

• 4th Sep 2012

Berlin, Germany

It's the fifth time I stayed at the Grand Hostel. I guess that already says a lot. I find it a quiet, clean and comfy hostel (not a party hostel!) on a top-notch location that hardly any hostel in Berlin can beat. For those looking to get to know the splendid nightlife in Berlin, I can recommend their pub crawl, which leads to several interesting bars in Kreuzberg. Looking forward to my next stay at the Grand Hostel Berlin!

• 19th Apr 2012
  • Globetrotter

Wow five times?! Thank you so much for your feedback-made us smile. Next time you book your stay with us let us know and we will give you a free beer or a free travel card for the day. All the best and see you soon in Berlin :o)

MEININGER Salzburg City Center

Salzburg, Austria

I really enjoyed my stay at the Meininger and lovely Salzburg! Although the location of the hostel is not the best, the public transport connections are excellent and it's only a 15-minutes walk to the old town. I stayed in a spacious and clean room that came with an en-suite bathroom and good-quality bunk beds. The staff is friendly and helpful, too. In short, it's a definite thumbs up for the Meininger hostel from me!

• 16th Sep 2011

Hostel Central

Munich, Germany

I briefly stayed here, but wasn't impressed by the Hostel Central. Although it's a centrally located hostel that offers excellent security, especially its cleanliness leaves much to be desired and it also totally lacks a vibe. I therefore won't be back.

• 29th Jul 2011

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

I stayed at Wombats City Hostel before, as well as another hostel in Munich, so I can therefore honestly say that Wombats is the best by a mile! This hostel offers everything a backpacker can wish for. Go there, you will not regret it! Oh, I can recommend their pub crawl, too.

• 28th Jul 2011

Hostel99

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic

Nice hostel with helpful staff that gave good tips on where to go. I definitely recommend the rafting pub crawl and the neighbouring Hospoda 99 is also well worth going to for a bite and a drink. A negative aspect is that the lights in the lobby and the toilets switch off so quickly. It would be nice if the sensors were readjusted to stay on longer.

• 2nd Jul 2011

Pfefferbett Hostel

• 26th May 2011

Czech Inn

Prague, Czech Republic

Great design hostel with comfy beds in spotless rooms. Tastefully designed lounge bar where a nice breakfast or a cheap beer can be had. Free WiFi in the lobby. Very friendly and helpful staff that will gladly ensure you enjoy your stay. Not the best location, but the public transport connections are great (even at night!). In short, the Czech Inn comes highly recommended!

• 26th Apr 2011

Leipzig, Germany

• 30th Jan 2011

• 29th Jan 2011

Berlin, Germany

What can I say? It's the third time I stayed at the Grand Hostel. Need I say more?

Berlin, Germany

Unbeatable location, friendly and helpful staff, clean and spacious rooms with normal beds (no bunk beds!) and lockers, free tours and Internet access. It feels more like a hotel than a backpacker hostel, though it's priced like a hostel. I would definitely come back the next time I'm in Berlin!

• 29th Oct 2010

Ambient Hostel

Keszthely, Hungary

I was surprised to find that already early September the hostel was almost empty and because of that the Ambient Hostel actually lacked ambience. Keszthely itself was nearly deserted, too. What I found really annoying were the back-breaking beds with mattresses that are far too thin and soft. On the positive side, the dorms and bathrooms were clean, and the hostel is located near the castle and the main street. Unfortunately, I can't recommend the Ambient Hostel.

• 2nd Sep 2010
  • Globetrotter

The Wombats City Hostel – The Lounge is as good as hostels can get! The hostel has a top location opposite the Westbahnhof, and offers comfy bunk beds in spacious and spotless rooms with lockers and en suite bathrooms, great facilities and a fun bar to top it off. Highly recommended!

• 27th Aug 2010

Wombats City Hostel Berlin

Berlin, Germany

Top location in the centre of Berlin, great facilities, a great bar and roof terrace. Oh, and the hostel has comfy bunk beds too. What more could you wish for? Highly recommended!

In short, this hostel is impersonal and overpriced! I (and others too) had the \"pleasure\" of meeting with a grumpy staff member for some unknown reason. The hostel is clean, although the kitchen is not. The facilities are poor with no breakfast, paid laundry, free internet (though the computer is occupied most of the time) and beds and lockers that are about to fall apart. The lounge room upstairs is nicely decorated, but deserted most of the time, so not a good the place to meet fellow travellers. The restaurant downstairs is disappointing; smoky and serving food (no breakfast!) that is average at best. It\'s also more popular among local business people than with the guests. Again, not a good the place to meet fellow travellers. The only positive aspect is that this hostel is centrally located, but on the downside there isn\'t much to see or do in Bratislava. I certainly won\'t recommend this hostel! In fact, give Bratislava a miss, since it\'s utterly boring!

I certainly enjoyed my stay at GBL Pub&Garden. Its staff is very friendly and helpful. The hostel itself is clean, relatively small and has very good facilities, such as a free breakfast, internet, tabletop football and -the pièce de résistance- a very nice pub/communal area, which is a great place to meet fellow travellers. The hostel is conveniently located (15 minutes walk) between the city centre and the Jewish neighbourhood (10 minutes walk). The only drawback are the beds, which are too small for me and have too soft mattresses.

Jetpak Jumpdesk

Berlin, Germany

The staff is superb and definitely among the most helpful and knowledgeable I\'ve met! The hostel itself is very clean and has spacious rooms and ditto bathrooms/toilets. The facilities are great with free internet, laundry, locker, luggage storage, DVD\'s, XBox and more. The Chinese restaurant next door is good and makes up for the lack of kitchen facilities of the hostel. Although the hostel is located a short distance away from the nearest underground station, it\'s still at least a 20 minute ride to where the action is. The only drawback I found were the guests, who weren\'t my cup of tea (playing Guitar Hero and watching the telly most of the day).