Reviews: d_schaumann8038

Location Australia, Gender Male, Age 32

• Australia, Male, 31-40
HI-Vancouver Central, Vancouver, Canada
13th Nov 2015

Very central hostel, easy to get to with friendly staff at the desk. Dorms & showers were warm, enjoyed the breakfast, thanks for a nice stay!

8th May 2015

As with every HI Hostel I've stayed at, the one in Halifax was clean, safe, located in a great central area and comfortable! Wifi worked perfectly and rooms were spacious & warm at night.

HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel, Ottawa, Canada
24th Apr 2015

A fun, unique & sociable hostel, I recommend this place to anyone! It's very well set out and in a great location. It is important to note that noise from the party & music in the bar downstairs travels very easily to the cells upstairs, so if a peaceful night's sleep is what you're after, maybe this place isn't for you (however they do have earplugs available at reception). If that doesn't worry you, then do yourself a favour and stay here.

College Backpackers, Toronto, Canada
5.1
4th Apr 2015

There is a lot of potential for this hostel, but in its current state it lacks the fundamentals. My bed wasn't made when I arrive; I was simply given two sheets by the reception staff & was told to bring the dirty ones down. The room smelt very bad, it was clear that previous guests had smoked indoors and the stench had infused into the walls. Security wasn't the best; the door to the room struggled to lock. It's cheap and in a good location in Kensington Market, but improvement is needed.

HI-Toronto, Toronto, Canada
3rd Apr 2015

It was a very quick stay for me - I checked in around 1am (late check-in was totally ok with the front desk) and left around 9am but it was a decent hostel from what I saw! I would loved to have stayed longer.

Auberge L'Apero, Montreal, Canada
14th Dec 2014

La Maison du Patriote, Montreal, Canada
30th Nov 2014

This is a lovely, unique and colourful little hostel in the heart of Old Montreal. I had a very pleasant stay here and would be happy to recommend it to anybody.

Seoulwise Guesthouse, Seoul, South Korea
17th May 2014

Seoulwise is located on a quiet alleyway in the very charismatic area of Hongdae. It was easy to get to by train straight from the airport, being less than a 10 minute walk from Hongik University station. I stayed in a dorm on the 3rd floor which was well-maintained and quiet (minor annoyance: no power socket by the top bunk to charge my phone with). A light breakfast was included with the price.

Parthenon Hostel, Chicago, USA
16th Oct 2013

A gem of a hostel which I specifically booked because of its proximity to the Greyhound terminal (it was a 6-7 minute walk from the station which fit perfectly with my late arrival). Bed was comfy and room was spacious & airy. There didn't seem to be enough showers or toilets at first glance but I never had a problem with queues while I was there. Staff were friendly but occasionally confused (it took ages to hire a towel out to me). A simple but sufficient breakfast was included as well.

Downtowner Inn, Toronto, Canada
6.6
10th Oct 2013

I have mixed opinions of this joint. I rank it low in terms of security because there was a massive argument in the room next to me which really should have been dealt with by police. The argument went on for WAY too long without intervention by hotel staff (who all looked as though they hated their jobs). Aside from that, the room was clean and spacious. Good value. Also note that it's actually called the Knights Inn from the street, not the Downtowner.

All Days Hostel, Toronto, Canada
7.4
7th Oct 2013

Very middle-of-the-rainge hostel - definitely not a bad place to stay but it didn't have much to set it apart from the better hostels out there. It was a few minutes walk from Sherbourne Station along a pleasant backstreet. Rooms were clean although fairly cramped, and there were plenty of bathrooms, with a decent kitchen and laundry as well. It lacked some atmosphere, but if it's quietude and maturity you're seeking, then this place is for you.

Global Guest House, Toronto, Canada
3rd Oct 2013

Global Guest House is conveniently located right next door to Spadina subway station and close to an abundance of cafes, pubs, shops and convenience stores. Check-in was easy and the room was comfy with an aircon, walk-in wardrobe, TV and perfect wi-fi connection. The shared bathroom was clean - my only disappointment was that someone accidentally locked the door on the way out so I had to use the downstairs bathroom until it was unlocked. Altogether a great stay.

Planet Traveler Hostel, Toronto, Canada
30th Sep 2013

A great hostel, one of the better I've stayed at. The staff are pleasant, rooms air-conditioned and clean, the free breakfast was plentiful and they have a first-class rooftop area with breathtaking views of Toronto city. Wi-fi was slow at times but altogether it's well worth checking into this hostel.

4.0
16th Aug 2013

While there is potential for this hostel (good location, friendly enough staff), the building and its facilities are in dire need of refurbishment. It was dark, dirty and a generally unappealing place to stay.

Richmond Hill Hotel, Melbourne, Australia
6.9
2nd Aug 2013

My room was fairly spacious in comparison to other private budget hotel rooms I've stayed in, but there was no heating - being in Melbourne on a winter's night this would have been nice to have. The hotel's atmosphere was nice but it waned a bit towards the rear of the building where my room was. It was quiet, cheap and not far from public transport. It's a good place to stay if you aren't going to be spending much time in your room.

Banyan View Lodge, Darwin, Australia
6.9
26th Jan 2013

Hiroshima Hana Hostel, Hiroshima, Japan
16th Nov 2012

I had a great time at the Hiroshima Hana Hostel. As it had been the 4th night I'd stayed within the Hana hostel chain, I was offered some complementary sake - it was really lovely and I ended up having a great night with a few others in the common room :) The staff were friendly and the location is excellent, only a few minutes walk from Hiroshima station.

Thank you very much for staying with us at Hiroshima Hana Hostel! Also your comments. We are very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay. We have SAKE tasting every Wednesday and Sunday, so if you have any opportunity to visit Hiroshima again, let's drink Sake together! We thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future! Hiroshima HANA Hostel

Ace Inn Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
6.6
3rd Nov 2012

Ace Inn is a clean hostel situated in a decent area, a minute walk from Akebonobashi subway station, and about 20 minutes walk from central Shinjuku. I was perplexed with the shower facilities: you have to go all they way down to the basement, pay ¥100, and there are no private changing rooms, you pretty much need to strip down and dry off in the bathroom hallway cause there's no room to change in the shower itself. It's an ok place to stay short-term but I probably wouldn't stay again.

Aso Base Backpackers, Kumamoto Pref Volcano Aso, Japan
31st Oct 2012

This is the best hostel I've ever stayed at. From the moment I walked I could see it was a clean, friendly, respectable and sociable venue. The staff were very welcoming, the common room / kitchen area was large with all the facilities you could hope for, the dorm was a decent size with plenty of privacy and storage for your gear, and the bathrooms were all clean and efficient. It's only a 3 minute walk from Aso station, which means super-easy access to the mountain. Altogether a fabulous stay.

Hostel Casa Noda, Nagasaki, Japan
7.7
29th Oct 2012

A nice hostel, very conveniently located only 5 minutes walk from Nagasaki station. The bunks weren't the most comfortable but definitely not the worst I've stayed in. Nice rooftop area and decent kitchen / common room. It's worth a stay.

Kyoto Hana Hostel, Kyoto, Japan
7.7
27th Oct 2012

I stayed at the Hana hostel in Osaka the night before but I didn't think the Kyoto Hana had quite as much charm. The rooms appeared a little stuffier and I thought it was slightly lacking in atmosphere. Having said that, it's in a great location only 10 mins walk from Kyoto station. The tourist spots are further afield, but it is close to some decent cafes, fast food joints and shops.

Thank you very much for your comment and staying at Kyoto and Osaka Hana Hostel. We will try to be as nice as Osaka one. They are now our good competitor :)

Osaka Hana Hostel, Osaka, Japan
26th Oct 2012

Excellent hostel! The lady at the front counter was genuinely friendly & helpful, you could tell she enjoys what she does, so that gave me a wonderful first impression of Osaka. The bunks were spacious & private, with enough showers & toilets for everyone. I enjoyed the humorous little signs posted around the hostel as well. Overall a great place to stay.

Thank you so much for your valuable comment!! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Osaka Hana Hostel. We also enjoyed having you here,too. You stay here only 1night, but I remember you very clearly! I really enjoy my job and I want to make guests happy and smile, so your comment made me so happy! We hope you reached home safety and had awesome time in Japan not only Osaka but also Tokyo and another place! Please come back and visit us again : )Looking forward for your next stay!

Hans Brinker Budget Hotel, Amsterdam, Netherlands
7.0
23rd Aug 2009

I quite liked this hostel, although it's definitely nothing to rave about. I'd recommend it if you want a quiet, clean bed for the night about 20 minutes walk away from the centre of town, without any extra frills. Make sure you read the notice in the lobby entrance area too, it's hilarious and very true! ;)

Paddy's Palace Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
4.7
25th Jul 2009

Spacious enough rooms but quite stuffy, poor drainage in bathrooms and water way too hot, beds not numbered well (was woken at 1am by a guy claiming I was in his bed; turns out he didn't know they were numbered), I had trouble using the entry intercom - there were two buttons, I didn't know which to press, couldn't hear any answer, and was greeted with sarcasm when I asked staff about it, also there was another issue in which a staff member made me feel quite embarrassed. Don't stay here.

Best Holidays Venice, Venice, Italy
7.3
11th May 2009

Amazing location. I actually found the place surprisingly easily but Venice is such an incredible city that it really wouldn't matter if you were having troubles locating it; you'd have the opportunity to explore the streets! The room was rustic and set out beautifully, although I didn't feel any social aspect to the dorm at all. The staff I spoke to checking in and out were bland and didn't seem overly pleased to see me. But highly affordable, in comparison with other accommodation.

Clink78, London, England
6.0
8th Sep 2008

Stayed in room B25 - the bathroom opposite my room was the most disgusting bathroom I've ever used in my life.