Tiare Village

Rarotonga, Cook Islands

We spent about 12 days here as we were traveling on a budget. We were pleased with our own rooms as well as the kitchen, which helped us save a lot of money. The only thing you need to be wary of is the amount of insects. Ants, centipedes, wasps, cockroaches and spiders were among our house guests and we ended up washing most of our dishes twice in case the ants happened to crawl over the clean dishes. Don't leave food out! Owner seemed to be selective in who she was friendly to. Would return.

• 6th May 2013

African Array Lodge

Plettenberg Bay, South Africa

African array hostel is truly a hidden gem. With its quiet area and stunning views, it's a little slice of paradise. What really sets the place apart though, is the staff. They are some of the most friendly people you'll meet and Matt can definitely cook up a storm :). Say hello to Sia for me, my new little friend. We would love to come back again :) thanks for a brilliant stay!

• 4th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for taking the time to review African Array Lodge, we really enjoyed your visit and Matthew loves cooking for everyone and enjoys good feedback. I will send my regards to Sia for you as she loves meeting new people.

Zebra Crossing

Cape Town, South Africa

A hot shower was slightly hard to come by but the bed was extremely comfortable. It was close to the Main road and lots of places to eat to choose from. Overall worth the money we spent.

• 30th Jan 2013
  • Globetrotter

It was an interesting place and very spacious. The only thing that was a bit distracting was a kind of musty paint smell. The check in process was a bit out of the ordinary as the check in was about a 4 minute walk away from where we were actually staying. I liked the decor but a door for the shower would have been nice as our bathroom became quite wet. Overall enjoyed our stay.

• 29th Jan 2013

Hostel One Paralelo

Barcelona, Spain

The staff were amazing, the food was at par with the staff and a hot tub at a hostel is definitely a treat. The only downside I experienced was being quoted €8 for a taxi and then reaching plaza de Catalunya and getting hit with additional fees amounting to €16.95. I'm pretty sure it was the fault of the taxi though. Overall, couldn't ask for a better hostel experience!

• 18th Sep 2012

Ah Shan Hostel Hong Kong

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Location was good. Staff was kind of short with me when I asked about check out time. My mattress was way too thin so my bed was super hard. Only one washroom for a few rooms, made it hard to use it or take a shower. Good place to stop off for one night because it's cheap but I wouldn't recommend an extended stay.

• 20th Jan 2012

Panupong Apartment

Koh Samui, Thailand

Unfortunately they didn't have A/C, only had fans. Power went out one night so we were cooking. Their laundry service is the absolute best, definitely worth the money. It's an AMAZING location. You're close to all the bars and clubs, at a fraction of the price of staying at bigger places like ark bar. Rooms are massive and clean. Definitely worth the money!!

• 17th Jan 2012

Aonang Grand Inn

Krabi Ao Nang, Thailand

great location. staff can help you plan trips and whatever you need to get around. great value for your money. rooms are spacious and there's A/C.

• 13th Jan 2012

Bodega Phuket

Phuket, Thailand

the staff are so friendly :) , you have everything you need here

• 10th Jan 2012

Broadway Hotel n Hostel

New York, USA

The front desk staff was really helpful in pointing out things to do around the city. Thought the rooms could use a little more life, as they kind of gave an aura of a prison chamber, but it was clean and secure, so I couldn't complain. Location was good, not far away from the 103st stop on the 1 line, runs all night too which is handy. Goes directly to time square for any interested. Overall, would stay here again. Those looking for a kitchen might be disappointed though..

• 9th Aug 2011

Aivengo Youth Hostel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I was excited to have a kitchen at the hostel, but the shower, "kitchen" and sinks for the toilet are all in the same room. I think their idea of a kitchen is somewhere you can make cereal. it's only limited cutlery and flatwear. Otherwise the character of our room was great, minus the low ceilings, and if you stay in the all female dorm, be prepared for a steep hike up the stairs 'cause there is no lift. Location was great and super close to the Central Station though.

• 27th Aug 2010

Ivanhoe Hostel

Rome, Italy

the staff here who work here are awesome. they can give you a hand with checking out the city and are keen to answer any questions. this really isnt the kind of place you just crash at though.. be prepared to party all night long and get up by 11 as they DO have a lock out. it really makes you get out and check out the beautiful city. would definitely stay here again!

• 12th Aug 2010

Archipelago Hostel Old Town

Stockholm, Sweden

Wasn't a great place to meet people but was very clean and location was awesome.

• 11th Aug 2010

Cowgate Tourist Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

within the center of the fringe festival which was awesome. they give you several keys to get into the rooms, so thats good for security, but would not have minded a locker. generally a good stay, would stay here again!

• 7th Aug 2010

Chateau Franz Backpackers

Franz Josef, New Zealand

spa after a day at the glacier is the bomb diggity

Stonehurst Accommodation

Christchurch, New Zealand

one of the best hostels in NZ

YHA Wellington City

Wellington, New Zealand

very clean but I found that I had stayed in hostels that were just as good as the YHA, and I didn't pay nearly as much- especially since that they don't notify you online that you need a membership in order to get the price listed on hostelworld! terrible surprise..

Crash Palace

Rotorua, New Zealand

the staff were awesome and the place was so clean and close to the main road!

Borders Beyond

Auckland, New Zealand

I thought the staff here were really personal and great, they were really friendly and helpful. The beds were unfortunately really uncomfortable- I could feel the springs through the top! The headroom on the bottom bunk wasn't so good either. The location was really good though, just outside of the city- about a 10 minute walk, which I found was a lot better than staying in the city itself- far too busy and hectic! overall enjoyed my stay!

Beatty Lodge

Perth, Australia

the staff are really friendly and helpful, and beatty lodge has a really homey feel. I felt like I was staying in more of a home than in a hostel which was really satisfying after moving from hostel to hostel. the kitchen is very small though so make sure you get in way early!

Airlie Waterfront Backpackers

Airlie Beach, Australia

our room was pretty cool- all the beds were laid out in one big hallway. the service at the front desk was a lot better than our last hostel.

Bluewater Lodge

Nadi, Fiji

stellar stay! Mike was so helpful in organizing our tours, and the staff was beyond friendly! Everything is super clean, and the food was amazing! Totally worth your money! The free breakfast was nice and the food was friendly and awesome. Lack of bunk beds was definitely a plus, and the rooms were a good size- nice to have some space. Plus we were within a short cab ride to the main roads and you could always go down the street for a drink if you wanted! would love to come back!!