Great hostel, nice helpful staff members, interesting history as a barracks of a military base, outstanding location. About $40/night for a dorm bed, but I guess that's just San Francisco. The free parking was a definite plus, basically worth the price of the dorm room if you're driving. Great placw, highly recommended.

Beijing Leo Courtyard

Beijing, China

The Leo Courtyard (used to be the Shanglin Hostel) is a dichotomy of sorts, with nice rooms off its wonderful courtyard to not so nice rooms in the back and north wing. I won't stay there again unless I'm guaranteed one of the rooms on the courtyard.

Beijing Leo Hostel 2

Beijing, China

The Leo 2 (used to be called the Shanglin) is a very good place to stay in central Beijing. The old courtyard on the west side of the complex is always awesome. I stayed in one of the small single rooms in the back of the building, little character but very much worth the money. The double rooms ( where I stayed the past couple of years) opening onto the old courtyard are terrific. The staff is courteous and efficient, but I miss some of the staff members I got to know in previous stays.

Hello Thank you for your comments . Hope to see you next time.

Great place, tons of character. Good basic breakfast (bread, ham, cheese, cereals, coffee and tea, yogurt). It's a beautiful place in a great location in this terrific little medieval walled city. Highly recommended.

Yes ! Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

Excellent hostel. Very friendly and helpful staff, good breakfast, very clean, great beds with duvet. Fantastic location. Highly recommended.

Riad Verus

Fez, Morocco

Excellent place, absolutely beautiful riad. Great breakfast complete with a fried egg, yogurt, bread and lots of spreads, and cafe au lait. Josuf, the owner, is exceptionally friendly and helpful in arranging guides for the medina and day trips to Mekles etc. Rarely have I stayed in such a beautiful setting.

Delighted you had such an excellent time at our Riad. Thank you also for your lovely compliments on breakfast and for the friendliness of our staff.

Riad Le Grand Large

Essaouira, Morocco

Wonderful riad in a terrific location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Great breakfast on the rooftop patio. It's a beautiful place, well-maintained. Strongly recommended.

La Casa Del Sol

Marrakech, Morocco

Excellent riad in a terrific (though really hard to find) location. The staff is very friendly and helpful. You might consider getting one of the rooms with 'true' air conditioning, as the daytime temperatures getting into the mid-40's Celsius in the June-August time period is pretty common. I did not have the compressor-type air, and the temp in my room stayed a pretty steady 34C. But it's a beautiful place in a terrific location with really nice people running it.

Travellers House

Lisbon, Portugal

Terrific hostel! The location is fantastic, right in the middle of the middle, so to speak. Four levels of security (front door buzzer, area digital key, room digital key, lockdrawer which they give you a lock for). Amazing staff, all extremely friendly and helpful. They have lots of extra events that the young folks seemed to really enjoy. This is definitely the place to stay in Lisbon. Highly recommended.

Dixo's Oporto Hostel

Porto, Portugal

Great place with a fantastic location. Very friendly and helpful staff, very good breakfast. The only caution would be to bring earplugs if you are in the downstairs front room (beds A1-A6), as it can be noisy until 1AM or so for a variety of reasons. Great hostel.

Golden Gobi

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Terrific location, very clean, great place. The family that operates the hostel is wonderful--- very friendly and helpful. All in all a great place that I'd highly recommend to others.

Safari Inn

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Avoid if possible.

Han Tang Inn Hostel

Xi'an, China

Excellent hostel!!! In my 40+ years of wandering the globe, this is one of the best hostels Ive come across. The staff is terrific, especially Joyce and Tom. They were both extremely nice, friendly and helpful, especially with securing train tickets. But all the staff was very friendly. Great breakfast. Great room, very clean. This one is highly recommended.

Hi:John Joyce and iare very happy to see this comment!! we will happy all day long.! best wishes Tom

YHA Bangkok Airport

Bangkok, Thailand

Nice little place, very friendly and helpful people running the place, very clean, and very convenient when flying in late or out early.

This one's pretty bad. Incredibly noisy until around 3AM, rude staff, out-of-the-way location. Only one shower for the entire hostel, except for one outside in the back. This was probably my second worst hostel experience over several decades of staying at hundreds of hostels (the worst being the Forrestal in Santiago). I'd steer clear of this one. Highly NOT recommended.

Dear Mr. Fox: Your review is completely unfair and unreal.. we dont use to make noisy here just on the day that you got here we had a birthday celebration of one of our guest, all the people from the hostel celebrate with us and we invited you to be a part of the celebration but you didn't wanted.... you have to be possitive you are a 70 years old guy and to be tolerant with the young people..thats not true either that we just have only one bathrrom for the whole hostel, could you imagine that? we have 5 bathrooms and 4 of these with hot hater and finally is not true that staff in the hostel is rude are never so rough, unlike all are super friendly as can be seen looking at the rating .. anyway thanks for coming to my hostel and we apologize for the inconvenience

La Posada del Cacique

Arequipa, Peru

This is a great little place to stay. Very nice staff, and a great rooftop patio where people gather in the evenings. It's about 4 blocks from the main plaza.

Quechua Hostal

Cusco, Peru

Great hostal, with a friendly, helpful staff, especially Ronald and Pepe. Highly recommended.

The Kusillus was the best hostel we stayed at in Peru during a month in the country. Great location, and terrific staff, especially Jaime and the owner, Ricardo. This is to me the first hostel to consider when planning a trip to Lima. Great place, highly recommended.

This is more a guesthouse than a hostel, very clean and overlooking the beach/bay. It's a five-minute walk to the beach, likely first good beach south of Lima. It was a very pleasant stay, excellent value, nice people.

The hostal is extremely convenient for late arriving flights. For $6 they meet you at the arrivals hall. The staff was great, especially Dennis and Allison. Great place, nice people.

Canadiana Backpackers Inn

Toronto, Canada

Basically a crash pad. It's noisy, especially the streetside rooms, and everything except pancakes with corn syrup and coffee/tea at 9AM costs (all other food, fruit, milk, bread, the internet if you don't have a laptop to use their wifi, sheets, towel, etc.). Nice 'great room'. It's basically four old walkup townhouses that have been combined--- huge hostel. I'd look around before staying here again........

Hi John. The room you were in is spacious and has a walk-in closet, high-ceilings (10 feet) and the bathroom is just next to the room. We cook and serve a free pancake breakfast every morning with coffee and tea, and we also offer extras such as bagels, cereal, fruit and juice for a low price. The wifi is free and available in the rooms, and if you don't have a computer, the first 20 minutes are free on our computers. For the sheets and towels, we only take a deposit which we give back to our guests upon checkout. Also, we do events free events every night such as wine and cheese, live comedy and pool. For 28$ per night, this widely considered great value for one's money. Thanks for commenting. The Canadiana

Casa Los Molles

Tilcara, Argentina

Absolutely wonderful hostel. The courtyard was terrific, great room, very nice staff, all in all probably the best hostel we stayed at during our 2-month trip. Highly recommended.

Hostel in Salta

Salta, Argentina

Great place, lots of character. Extremely nice staff. Excellent security, very clean. Highly recommended.

Rusty-k Hostal

Cafayate, Argentina

Wonderful hostel, especially the courtyard. Very friendly and helpful staff. Highly recommended.

Hostel Alamo

Mendoza, Argentina

Great hostel, wonderful people, especially Max and Lorena, who were very friendly and helpful. I've stayed at the Alamo several times in the past few years, and it's always been great. Highly recommended.

Telmotango Hostel Suite

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Wonderful hostel, one of the best I've ever stayed in in many years of traveling. The staff, especially Alejandro and Fedrico, were topnotch--- extremely helpful and friendly. Great place, great people. Highly recommended.

This is a wonderful restored hutong a couple of km's NW of the Forbidden City. Great staff, very helpful. For those supersticious types, they have a beautiful Persian black cat that roams the premises. But it made a special effort to not cross my path while I was there, and I really appreciated it.

Wonderful hostel. Great, roomy place, very clean. About 6 blocks from the metro (3 stops from there to the Bund) and a 20-minute walk to the French Concession. Highly recommended.

Greg & Tom Hostel

Krakow, Poland

This is probably the best hostal I've ever stayed at in several decades of roaming the globe. Upon arrival a staff member sat down with me with a map of Krakow and explained what to do in Krakow, good but modestly-priced restaurants, etc., probably 20 minutes. The hostel was roomy, clean, and in a terrific location. Very highly recommended!!

Red Roofs Inn

Riga, Latvia

Great little hostel, amazing location in the old town. Friendly and helpful staff, very clean rooms and toilets. Highly recommended.