Location: England, Age: 25

Hostel Nomads

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Great place, owner is very knowledgeable and will tell you all he knows, including tips on safety, which ATMs are free, where to eat... Not the most social hostel I've stayed in but it was nice enough. They do serve cheap breakfasts, but my scrambled eggs were a bit overcooked... but then others may prefer them that way so it's just a minor detail! The rest of our stay was fab!

• 27th Dec 2013

Downtown Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

We had a great time here - the barman, Fayne? (not sure how its spelt sorry!), was really good at bringing different groups together, keeping drinks flowing and knew exactly what time to bring out the beer pong table (in the pool!!). Location and facilities were great, although wifi was patchy. Only negative - I was told I couldn't have a towel because the sun wasn't shining so they hadn't dried yet... the next day I got handed a damp one! Not great...

• 16th Dec 2013

La Maison du Patriote

Montreal, Canada

great hostel with a lovely feel to it. the curtains on all the beds make it look like a blanket fort! little bit noisy but i was there for a friday and saturday night so you can't expect complete silence! i still slept pretty soundly. There are lockers for your things. Only issue is there are only two toilets and two showers. I didn't have to wait too much but considering how many beds there could do with being more.

Edinburgh Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

Great hostel! Positives: amazing location between station and the royal mile, friendly staff,comfy beds, and lockers in rooms. Negatives: no wifi, not the cleanest, and showers were often cold. Overall though, I'd definitely stay again purely for the location and price!

• 23rd Aug 2013

Hootananny Hostel

not the worst hostel I've stayed in but not great... bedding was ripped, frayed and thin. clearly had been used many many times and the sheet didn't fit the mattress properly. everything in the hostel seemed a bit grubby and old. I had to leave early in the morning but as you have to pay a key deposit I had to return my key before the bar shut that evening which meant I had to cut my night short. on the plus side, the room was larger than most I've stayed in and nice and airy.

Vagabonds

Belfast, Northern Ireland

The Purple Goblin

Tallinn, Estonia

Absolutely Brilliant. Trev and Lisa made everyone feel at home, and were especially good at introducing you to everybody else in the hostel - always welcome when travelling alone! They were very knowledgeable about tallinn and were full of tips about where to eat, drink etc. The one downside could be that there is only one bathroom, but I didn't have to wait long at all when I stayed there. Location couldn't be better really, very close to the old town and some really good bars and clubs.

Cheers Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

Wow. The moment I stepped off the airport shuttle bus I felt so welcome. Onur (?) and Tarek were all smiles, how are you? would you like some apple tea? let me take your bag... they introduced me to all the other guests who happened to be in the communal area which helped me settle right in! Met so many lovely people, location was great for the tourist attractions and just a 10TLtaxi/4TL tram ride from the clubs and bars of Tacsim. Met so many great people, I will definitely be back!!!

AMAZING1! i had an absolutely fantastic time here. as a lone traveller, the hostel can make or break your stay in a place. there's plenty of communal areas so you can meet people who are in different rooms, the staff is amazing, really friendly and even sat drinking with us on several occasions! location is perfect, very close to all the attractions. it was a bit noisy on the friday night, but you're staying in a hostel, what do you expect?? definitely recommend it (in fact, already have!)

Abigails Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

Absolutely fantastic location, and rooms a good size, but the atmosphere is pretty rubbish, and the lobby/seating area has a bit of a clinical rather than cosy feel.

I had a great time, the staff were lovely and friendly and really helpful (even when i was chatting rubbish to them for aaages!) although a few lockers wouldn\\\'t go amiss. Location is brilliant, right by the quays and loads of places to eat and drink. They can also book you on day trips and stuff which saves you some time. Met some fab people and had a great time so thanks Barnacles!!!

Hostel Possonium

Bratislava, Slovakia

loads of lockers for your stuff, helpful staff and loads of cool people to go out on the town with!