Reviews: marjan3458578

Location: Netherlands, Gender: Female, Age: 27

Hotel Utama

Copacabana, Bolivia

I booked a private hotel room because there didn´t appear to be many hostels with dorms around on Hostelworld. Upon arrival it turned out that Copacabana is full of cheap places to stay and can easily be booked there. However, I did enjoy my stay in this hotel, that is friendly, clean and quiet and 2 blocks off the main street. It´s just that there is probably better value for money out there. Breakfast was a big plus though. Table side service and both continental and hot options.

As soon as I arrived I knew I´d be taking the early bus out the next day, instead of the later one. The sagged mattresses are of very poor quality. Also, I was put in a 9-bed dorm wheareas I´d booked a 6-bed dorm. Only realized that too late and couldn´t be bothered anymore. Shared bathrooms downstairs don´t give a feel of privacy, as the whole wall is only frosted glass and facing the reception/ commong area. Breakfast and overall cleanliness were okay.

Pisko & Soul

Cusco, Peru

I very much enjoyed my stay in this hostel. It´s in the beautiful area of San Blas and despite the small streets (which is what San Blas is known for) it´s very safe at any time and just over a 5 minutes walk to Plaza de Armas. Not a party hostel, but a nice and cozy place. Great breakfast with eggs and bacon the way you want them. I stayed in the one 6-bed dorm and it´s in a nice quiet corner of the hostel. Across the street is a cute creperie that just opened. Good for a quick snack.

Bothy Hostel

Arequipa, Peru

Nice and clean hostel with the friendliest staff I´ve come across in South America. Karen and Monica will do anything for you with a genuine smile. If you´re trying to get some rest, don´t stay on the weekend though, when the bar is loud and open late. The bass will penetrate to your pillow no matter where your room is. Location and breakfast (toast with jam and coffee/ tea) are ok. You can have a proper breakfast with eggs or bacon or cereal for a small price. Would stay here again.

Alternative Hostels

Cuenca, Ecuador

Small hostel with friendly staff and good security. Very clean as well. I tried my luck and booked the "1 bed mixed dorm", hoping to get a private room for a great price. Turns out the "1 bed" actually means 5 beds. I did point this out to the staff. Breakfast is not included, but to make up for that they have a good kitchen with sitting area. Also a pleasant roof terrace. No computers, but you get 30 min. internet p/d in the internet cafe next door. Downside is the location, 15 min. from center

Bauhouse Hostel & Bar

Cuenca, Ecuador

I did not enjoy my stay here. Although there are nice wall decorations, the hostel is kind of cold (also literally), with the high white ceilings and plain wooden furniture. The atmosphere wasn´t nice, staff only seem to watch TV and had not registered my full payment upon arrival, beds are seriously small, rooms and bathrooms seem clean (although I found black hairs in both bed linen and towel), but kitchen is filthy, not enough lockers for number of people in room. Location and breakfast good.

Great hostel with really nice common room and good facilities. Not entirely in the center, but still only a 5 minute walk. Everything is clean and they organize lots of things for their guests. Free dinner Mondays to Wednesdays! Only negative is that I had to change from $8 dorm to $10 dorm to have a locker. Would definitely stay again though.

Thanks a lot for your comment. Each day we keep improving, now we do have lockers in the $8 dorm, sorry that you had to change dorms because of that. You are more than welcome to stay again and we would love to have you! Best wishes.

Vibes Hostel

Quito, Ecuador

Nice and clean hostel with basement for partying. My dorm was next to the reception area and was therefore not very quiet. No party noise though. Staff was helpful and most speak English. Location is perfect, just off the busy streets of Mariscal. Breakfast is apparently not included for the biggest dorms, which is not specified on Hostelworld. But don't bother paying the $2 extra, because around the corner you can have a much better (and hot) breakfast for the same price.

This is a nice and clean hostel, but the location is a little bit off. Most travelers want to stay in Poblado. It was therefore that the hostel was pretty quiet and I moved to another hostel after 2 nights. Staff didn't seem very guest-orientated and didn't speak English well. Really strange is that you have to pay to use their computers/ Internet. It's not a lot, but guests shouldn't have to pay for that. We rented bikes for $15 for 24 hours, which was a good deal.

Hostel Mamallena

Cartagena, Colombia

Good hostel in great location. Media Luna is the street where you want to stay in Cartagena. Owner was nice but not always overly friendly. I felt he made some cynical remarks at times and I don't think I asked anything stupid. Laundry is pricy, so either save it for your next destination or share a load. Pancakes for breakfast are a nice change from the toast you get everywhere else.

Carnival Hostel

Barranquilla, Colombia

Hostel turned out not to exist (or not to be ready) upon arrival. Had to find another place to stay during the busy Carnival time. I was not pleased.

The Dreamer Hostel

Santa Marta, Colombia

Good hostel with great atmosphere. The courtyard with pool is really nice. Plenty of hammocks and all facilities you need. Apparently far outside of the center, but there is a big mall with supermarket nearby if you need anything. I was only in SM to go to Tayrona and do the Lost City hike and for that the location was fine. Staff are friendly and speak English.

Pension Kieler Hof

Hamburg, Germany

My parents stayed in this hotel for a weekend (2 nights) They had a room with double bed and shower. Shower is really only just a cabin placed in the corner of the room. So not really a separate room. (there was a normal water basin too) Toilet at the end of the hall. It was clean, a bit noisy on Saturday night, but location is perfect. Breakfast was fine. You need to leave your key at the reception when you go out. (they said too many keys got lost in the past)

Amstel House Hostel

Berlin, Germany

Hostel was clean, staff very friendly. Pretty centrally located, but unfortunately just at the other end of where most tourist attractions are. 25 min to Brandenburger Tor, Checkpoint Charlie etc. (incl. 7 min. walk to subway). Schloss Charlottenburg and Memorial church are closer by though. We had a room with two beds which turned out to be bunk beds. Had own bathroom that was very small, but clean. I wouldn't recommend this for tall/ big people. Otherwise a very okay hostel for a good price.