Reviews: kristinahuling

Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 25

Sanlitun Youth Hostel

Beijing, China

I really liked this place, it had a nice vibe to it. I stayed in an 8-bed and a 6-bed dorm here, found the 8-bed room incredibly spacious. Comforters were very warm, which was appreciated. There are lockers in the rooms big enough for backpacks (maybe not huge ones though), and safety boxes near reception. Wish there was a kitchen for use (they have a bar/restaurant), but otherwise no complaints! Stayed here twice, because I liked it enough :)

Hostel Cosmopolitan

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

This place is right next to Chow Kit, which is convenient. If you are staying here because it's so cheap, beware that you're probably not really saving any money as you have to pay extra for blankets, toilet paper, adapters, and even use of dvd's in the common room. It's an okay place to sleep but I was glad that they upgraded me to the female dorm and I will probably look for somewhere else if I stay in KL again.

Roommates Penang

Penang, Malaysia

I stayed at both roommates 1 and 2, and both were quite nice. Very clean, nice (simple) breakfast, good showers and good vibe. KT at roomies 2 in particular was super interesting and helpful. Got me sorted on quite a few things which was great. I'd 100% stay here again.

Footprints Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

I originally only booked two nights here, but ended up staying 8. Footprints is in a good location, easy walking distance to both the Bugis and Little India MRT stations and lots of good and cheap food nearby. Found the staff very lovely, and really appreciated the breakfasts. I think I probably saw the cleaning man more than any other person at the hostel, seemed like he was always working! If a solo female, might recommend the female dorm.

HongKong City Guesthouse

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

This hostel is part of the Chunking Mansion conglomerate, which is worth experiencing at least once. I stayed a week in a couple different types of rooms and found it to be clean and secure. Raj, the laundry guy was particularly nice, offering me an alternate shower one day when the dorm shower (shared between like 20 people, so often occupied) was full. Downsides for me would be the state of disrepair in dorm bathroom, no common room, no key to room, and general sketchiness. Wifi excellent.

Mandala Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

The dorm room we stayed in didn't have a key to lock, it was also basically the hostel common room. Fortunately our beds were in a loft area so we had some privacy/seclusion. Hostel staff very lovely, lots of people from workaway. At times seemed like there was more staff than guests. They invited everyone out to a bar with local food/drinks and dancing though. It was a very memorable experience and really made our stay in Budapest that more lovely.

• 14th Apr 2013

Patio Hostel

Bratislava, Slovakia

Nice facilities, large dorms, lots of bathrooms etc. Easy to get to from train and downtown. Easy to get lost among the guests - kind of a large party atmosphere.

• 13th Apr 2013

Jacks Hostel Vienna

Vienna, Austria

Nice facilities, friendly staff. We had bed bugs but that was months ago and didn't stop us staying a few more nights. The other guests at this place were a bit odd though. Police removed a guest one night of our stay and a man in our dorm room watched movies (loudly) all night and slept all day.

• 10th Apr 2013

Cinque Terre Holidays

Cinque Terre, Italy

The gentleman running the place basically gave us a key to a room in an apartment building. It was a bit cramped for seven people (not even sure where the seventh bed was), but it was usable and comfortable. The location is a good jumping point for all of Cinque Terre.

Hostel Pisa

Pisa, Italy

Staff here was nice. Easy to find from train station and easy access to the Leaning Tower. Could use more bathrooms, only one per floor, with the shower and toilet in the same stall. Had some food stolen from us here, although I don't think that a reflection of the hostel.

Hostel Santa Monaca

Florence, Italy

Very nice facilities. Largest dorm room I have ever stayed in in my life (most beds anyway - 22) but the other guests were exceedingly considerate. I didn't have any problems sleeping and was one of the latest people up at midnight. Very clean. Kitchen area for cooking and washing is a bit small, but there are several fridges and lots of space for eating/chilling. My only complaint is that it doesn't have much personality. Common area is more usable than friendly.

Nice campground with good facilities. Lots of showers and bathrooms. Had some trouble with the electricity, but hopefully only due to the excessive rain. Food available for purchase isn't cheap, and the general store is open odd hours, but the restaurant is nice. No free wifi around grounds, but computers available in bar and you can also hook up your own computer to wifi there. The shuttle from the train costs 1€ per trip (free first time), but the walk is doable if you prefer not to pay.

Amour d' Auberge

Marrakech, Morocco

Great hostel. No keys here, you buzz to get in. I am incredibly grateful to the staff, they took us in in the middle of the night when we arrived earlier than anticipated and with reservations only for the next few nights. Not really 24 hour reception, but staff is up pretty late and then awake again by at least 7. As a female though, don't expect a reprieve from male attention here, although privacy in the rooms is no issue.

I really enjoyed my time here. Definitely one of my favorite hostel experiences. Staff is incredibly helpful, Hamza helped me organize my whole itinerary for Morocco. Felt safe and comfortable here. The facilities are nice and spacious (although space in the dorm rooms is a bit tight). No locks on room doors (at least not the dorm), but locks for individual lockers which are large enough for backpacks. Plenty of spare blankets. Still missing the mint tea they serve at breakfast.

Emile Hostel

Gibraltar, Gibraltar

Easy to find walking from the border, and close to everything. When we arrived no one was at reception, so we were locked out. When we tried calling, no one answered the phone. However, when we returned maybe 10 minutes later staff was back and made no indication that they hadn't been there all along. Wifi only works in the cafe, and there are signs indicating that no outside food is allowed. Staff speaks minimal English, but fluent in Spanish. Make sure you have UK converters. It is clean.

Staff is very friendly and interested in their guests. We stayed in the 11 person dorm room and it was incredibly spacious. Bathrooms were nice. Kitchen facilities are basic, but there is a microwave. Location is easy to find and walkable from bus/train station. You can get a free map of the city from tourist information at the train station which shows the hostel street on it. Bus and train station are right next to each other.

Itinere Hostel

Granada, Spain

Hostel is in a good location and easy to find. The staff is really excellent and gave us many good reccomendations, including lots of delicious and well priced food, which was much appreciated! Just be careful with the doors in the hostel, there are many!

Hospedería La Corredera

Cordoba, Spain

I would say this hostel is more like a budget hotel. The staff is lovely, very little English, but we managed to communicate. There is a small common area, but we never saw anyone besides ourselves using it. There is no kitchen, also the Internet was pretty inconsistent. But it was very clean, quiet, and nice. I would stay here again.

Equity Point Lisboa

Lisbon, Portugal

I really enjoyed my two nights here. The hostel is huge, with lots of kitchen space, fridge room, showers and toilets. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, giving us more guidance than we could ask for. There are lockers for each bed but you need your own lock. There is also a tv room with channels and DVDs for use, just ask at reception. If I need a hostel in Lisbon again, I'll stay here.

Guesthouse Argonauta

Obidos, Portugal

This place was the best. There was no one else there while we were in town so my party of three had the place to ourselves. We stayed in the spacious five person dorm room, which has great art hanging on the walls. Breakfast was simple, but delicios and filling. It included freshly squeezed orange juice! Concha, the owner, was really lovely and the hostel was in an easy to find location. I'd definitely stay here again.

Ole' Barcelona

Barcelona, Spain

Hostel was good value and great location near La Sagrada Familia and Parc Güell. 30 minute walk from Las Ramblas, which is fine if you are expecting that. The staff was constantly cleaning and very nice and helpful. We even went out with some of them. Rooms were spacious, there are no security lockers in them but you can leave valuables at reception if you wish. The kitchen and common area are small and just the basics, as they say when you check-in, don't expect to cook a Christmas dinner here.

Phoenix Hostel