Reviews: shopping2095

Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 39

PILOT Design Hostel & Bar

Porto, Portugal

I stayed here twice am only going to submit one review. Could do with some lockers in the big room at the top of the hostel. This room also had a funny smell to it (sweaty) I think caused by people drying their clothes in the room. Your written directions need improving. Finally I had a bit of a strange encounter with a staff member who freaked out at me for tweeting that people upstairs were burning hash. Contact me on this if you want to know more.

• 10th Oct 2014

Guimaraes, Portugal

• 1st Oct 2014

Bracara-Hostel

Braga, Portugal

Your bathroom door is tricky to open, I nearly got stuck but once I figured out the trick it was okay :)

• 29th Sep 2014

Rock N Bowl Hostel

Bristol, England

Great hostel right in the heart of Bristol city, walkable from the station and good for being in town for a few days, can be a bit noisy at the weekends

• 6th Jun 2014

Hostel MOJO

Prague, Czech Republic

Seriously one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. The staff are wonderfully calm and peaceful people with some great suggestions. Everything is clean and working beautifully.

• 9th May 2014
  • Globetrotter

No lockers (or maybe I missed them), hostel is a bit of a walk from nearest tube/train but quite easy to get to

• 8th May 2014

Oxford Backpackers Hostel

Oxford, England

Great hostel really close to the station

• 9th Mar 2014
  • Globetrotter

During my brief 1 night stay here I did not use the hostel much but everything was fine, showers were warm, bed's comfy, rooms clean. A bit overpriced for a dorm room but it is in central London so can't really complain

• 7th Feb 2014
  • Globetrotter

Hostel is above a pub, they have triple bunk beds with plastic sheeting on the mattress does not make for a comfortable night. No kitchen facilities which if you are using it for long stay is rather annoying. Bathroom get's very messy as people use it and is only cleaned once a day. They also charge nearly triple the price for the weekend which is ridiculous, I'm sure if could be worse but it could be a LOT better

• 3rd Feb 2014
  • Globetrotter

I was in the 2nd house, the major issue here is that the door does not automatically lock, several times I found the door wide open compromising security. Also I chatted to another traveller who stayed at the hostel for free for 3 days because the door was open and the staff doe not take note as to who should and should not be there. Nothing got stolen but security is compromised. Staff need to be more enthusiastic too.

• 26th Jan 2014
  • Globetrotter

In a nice spot to walk around Kamukura. staff are friendly and happy to help you.

• 23rd Jan 2014

Ace Inn Shinjuku

Tokyo, Japan

A nice little capsule hostel. I only strayed one night, but it's walkable from Shinjuku (20 mins) has access to local restaurants and capsules are big enough.

• 20th Jan 2014

1166 Backpackers

Nagano, Japan

I had a really nice stay here. The guys took very good care of me ensuring I had good suggestions for places to eat and how to get to the tourist spots. I tried to teach them to juggle! Thankyou!

• 13th Dec 2013

Peace House Showa

Osaka, Japan

A nice little Ryokan style hostel, helpful staff and in an area where you can get everything you need. Much nicer than a plane faced hotel or hostel

• 3rd Dec 2013

Grape Garden House

Seoul, South Korea

Great hostel in the heart of Hongdae. Luna and the gang are fun people and will happily go out to dinner with you so you get a real Korean experience. Sue even took us out clubbing (thank you Sue), was fun without being a total party hostel where you can't sleep.

• 27th Nov 2013

Han Jin Hostel

Gyeong-ju, South Korea

This ageing hostel feels a bit run down. It needs a lick of paint and something to make it feel less old. However the room I had was secure with a good bed and facilities. Don't expect too much and you will have a nice stay there.

• 14th Nov 2013

The Forest Hostel

Jeju Island, South Korea

A good hostel on Jeju, a converted hotel, great staff, nice rooms and right in the heart of the city. The only problem is that it's a bus ride to the bus station to get a but to the mountains but this is really a minor issue.

• 6th Nov 2013

Solongos Backpackers

Busan, South Korea

These ladies are awesome, they really helped me figure out where to go In South Korea and even how to get there. I wish them luck with the hostel in the future.

• 4th Nov 2013

SPA Hostel Khaosan Beppu

Beppu Spa City Oita, Japan

Has a really nice little spa inside the hostel, staff are really helpful and nice people. Good location, walkable from the station and some good places to eat in the area.

• 30th Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

Really informative staff, although this was only a 1 night stay I actually went back for a few more nights. Easy to get to from the bus/train station, cubes are great, peaceful and the breakfast is good quality.

• 25th Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

Great little host, excellent staff and easy to get to and from via the tram. Is very close to the main sites and some great food in the area.

• 9th Oct 2013

U-RIN-AN

Okayama Kurashiki, Japan

Staff were great, very helpful and lively, it's a true Japanese experience though so if your not happy sleeping on tatami mats with other people you may want to re-think. I had a great time here.

• 7th Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

A converted hotel that is a little run down but perfectly functional, not exactly a hostel as I know it but has not badly priced private rooms. Staff were helpful and welcoming.

• 5th Oct 2013

Hostel Ann

Nagoya, Japan

• 2nd Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thanks a lot people, only marked you down a bit on cleanliness for the bathrooms but you can't do much about it, maybe more lighting, something to help with the smells?

• 10th Aug 2013

Thailandwow

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Thank you Kai, good luck with the hostel for the future

• 5th Aug 2013

Hoi An, Vietnam

• 29th Jul 2013

Mui Ne Backpackers Resort

Mui Ne, Vietnam

Thanks for making me feel welcome, I wish you luck in the future

• 22nd Jul 2013

My My Arthouse

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Your sixth floor is really noisy at night.

• 19th Jul 2013

Khao Lak, Thailand

• 27th Jun 2013

Aonang Backpacker Hostel

Krabi, Thailand

Would be better if the shower in the main bathroom was more powerful

• 23rd Jun 2013

Spicytao Backpackers

Koh Tao, Thailand

Rooms could of been better looked after, mine was messy due to other travellers. Bathroom floor was dirty most of the time I was there.

• 20th Jun 2013

Blue Mountains, Australia

Thanks for everything

• 5th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

I already complained but did not appreciate the French staff speaking in French whilst dealing with me, also staff seamed to have no idea where to go for a night out (again maybe new staff). Bret (I think) the Aussie tour guy was really helpful though so thanks to him. Breakfast needs better signposting. Rooms were a bit claustrophobic.

• 12th May 2013

Tram Stop 14 Backpackers

Melbourne, Australia

No lockers but I had nothing stolen, Good location for the part of Melbourne, staff were great as I changed my booking twice with no issues, only issues I had were the Kitchen was a bit too small for the amount of people, and the open area allowed smoking which made it horrible for me as I hate smoking.

• 8th Apr 2013

Discovery Melbourne

Melbourne, Australia

A converted hotel, this means the place is huge and you are just yet another backpacker. Internet is free (200Mb per day) but the room I was in was so small for 8 beds, bound to be like an oven in summer as no air-con. Kitchen was ridiculously overstocked, probably not been emptied in months. There is a bar downstairs which I didn't go to, breakfast was free which was a bonus. Is in a good location for the CBD though.

• 3rd Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

Is in a good location for St Kilda but because it has a club on the rooftop don't expect to sleep much at weekends or on nights when they have events. I didn't go to the bar downstairs but I did go to breakfast and was disappointed by the way one particular staff member was treating people. We may be backpackers, we may be poor but we are people.

• 30th Mar 2013

The Pickled Frog

Hobart, Australia

A little pricey (This might be due to Aussie Dollar rates) but good hostel, has a nice friendly feel to it, lots of areas to sit and chat, good kitchen and close to shops and bars in the area.

• 16th Mar 2013

The Venice Beach Hostel

Los Angeles, USA

Loved this place (despite hating LA in general) the staff were really cool people and encouraged social through chat and not loud music and free beer. My only issue was the television, but I ignored it so that was fine. It's close to places to buy supplies and about a 20 min walk to the beach.

• 11th Mar 2013

Hollywood Youth Hostel

Los Angeles, USA

Lockers are only a quarter but you need to pay for them every time you open them which is so uncool. Hostel is very party heavy, lots of free beer which is great if you don't mind drinking Budwiser (which I hate). Beer Pong seems to be the in thing along with shouting louder than anyone else. The music I found quite anti-social having to shout at people all the time. Great venue for Hollywood, pity I hated Hollywood

• 7th Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

Lockers are available (own lock) your not next door to Yosemite but the bus is fairly regular so you can get in without any issues. Excellent facilities including the $10 spa which includes hot tub and sauna, food is expensive so make ssure you stock up before you get there as nearest store is a bus ride away.

• 2nd Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

I see what people are saying about this hostel, it does have a strange feel to it. Still it's in a good enough place and I didn't really stay long enough to hate it. Give it a go, book for a few night, if that don't work, spend a little more and try using Air BnB

• 28th Feb 2013

AAE Bourbon House Hostel

New Orleans, USA

Thanks for all the help, enjoyed hanging out with you for an evening too.

• 13th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

I had an odd time at this hostel. The staff were nice and for the first day it was okay as I was so tired from the travel, there was a lot of noise during the night as I had one of the outside rooms. I hardly slept for the next three days due to the noise and by the time they could offer me a room change I had already made my mind up to leave. I met a few really nice people but was glad to change hostel.

• 10th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

I spent 7 days in San Fran here at this hostel and had a great time. Ryan greeted me with enthusiasm and gave me a map right from the get go telling me as much as he could in a short space of time. The hostel is small but that makes it easier to meet other people I find, the people who came and went were generally friendly and I have been able to keep in touch with a few of them. A few of the staff like a drink and will offer you to go to a nearby bar with them.

• 2nd Feb 2013

Bed'nBudget Cityhostel

Hannover, Germany

Not really a hostel, this is a hotel with some rooms that are shared like a hostel. There is no common room and no wifi but it is right in the heart of the city so that is a bonus. The staff when I went were rather unhelpful but polite

• 17th Aug 2012

Amstel House Hostel

Berlin, Germany

It can be loud at night if your not wanting to join in the fun that is happening, they need to keep people in the courtyard a bit quieter. The staff were good apart from some of the night staff I encountered who were not very helpful or forthcoming with information. The 3pm checkin is fairly ridiculous too.

Bahaus Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

I had a great time, hostel is clean and staff are very helpful. I cannot recommend this place enough and next time I shall go to the place they have in the south.

Hostel Burgas

Burgas, Bulgaria

NIce bunch of guys here, I came during a very quiet period but they were very happy to help where they could.

• 7th May 2010

Hotel AltDüsseldorf

Dusseldorf, Germany

Not a bad place, but incredibly noisy in the evening if your tired and want to sleep. Had an amazing breakfast selection though

• 6th Dec 2009

Pension Jarkas

Aachen, Germany

It's basically an apartment so no real staff to speak of, the apartment is nice though but feels a little risky coming back late at night. I had no troubles though.

• 3rd Dec 2009

Old Town Hostel Gdansk

Gdansk, Poland

The hostel has no real common room which makes socialising difficult. But the rooms are clean, beds good and its only 10 mins walk into the town. Building itself has no real character though, just a plain concrete building.

Ars Hostel & Bar

Krakow, Poland

I didn't expect this kind of service but the people are fantastic, I would go back again in a heartbeat. I can't thank the people who help run this fabulous hostel enough.