Reviews: sclarey

Location USA, Gender Female, Age 32

Mr. Martin's Cozy Place, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
6.0
12th Sep 2013

When I arrived there was no English speaking staff for several hours. They did not check my passport or anything, just gave me a key and let me in. Several hours later I was asking for some tea, bottled water, anyting and no one could communicate with me- even using the most obvious hand gestures. I finally left to get some food at a local restaurant across the street and came back only to be ignored by the staff when I tried to speak to them. Decent location, poor staffing.

Dar Mounir, Chefchaouen, Morocco
11th Aug 2012

This hotel, also called "Hotel Italiano," is quaint and welcoming. When we arrived I was told that they didn't know were we still coming because I had not "confirmed" the reservation the day before. This was quickly resolved and we were given a room without much issue. Although the low entryways and stairwells required both my friend and I to crouch and duck to prevent hitting our heads, it was a comfortable stay. We enjoyed basic breakfast (bread/jams/coffee/juice) on the roof, hot showers, and good wifi.

Hotel Central, Casablanca, Morocco
4th Aug 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Central. Good location in the medina, close to the markets, Rick's Cafe and Hassan II mosque. The manager is a bit of a character- silly and very playful. Clean room, hot shower, veranda. Definitely did not feel unsafe walking around the medina area whatsoever; spent most of our time outside the hotel in the medina smoking sheesha, snacking, etc. Be sure to pick up some of the delicious Meknes peaches sold by thy fruit vendors and try some of the street food.

Artstel Beijing, Beijing, China
5.7
12th Aug 2010

Qian Men Hostel, Beijing, China
7.3
9th Aug 2010

Nice hostel, good vibe, but I felt that the Great Wall excursion at 300 RMB was a bit much to drive 6 hours round trip and only get a few hours on the wall with horrible cafeteria style Chinese food. Arrange your own!

Biktime Hostel, Shanghai, China
7.0
5th Jul 2010

The hostel is fine with over priced food and tiny shared dorms. The male staff was borderline rude and indifferent, not really wanting to do much to help people. Upside: hot showers, clean room, close proximity to the Bund and shopping areas, free internet. Would stay again withouth enthusiasm but would not dissuade others from going.

Five Elements Hostel Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
9.0
29th Jun 2010

I was so impressed with this very modern and spacious hostel! Great dorms, excellent security (the best I have ever experienced at a hostel), big windows, great lounge area. Highly recommended and only 2 blocks from the train station.

thanx steph, see you next time then!!! all the best from sarah and the 5 elements crew

Bed & Breakfast Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany
7.3
14th Jun 2010

This B and B is super cute and I felt very safe. There were three rooms in my area with a big shared bathroom and kitchen, all well kept. It was a bit odd at first because they didnt have a my reservation and then I was told I couldnt check in until late in the afternoon. Overall though the staff was accomodating and they even let me use there laptop and internet for free. As there are not proper hostels in Mannheim area, this is a good spot. Highly reccomend!

Dahab Hostel, Cairo, Egypt
6.3
10th Jun 2010

Dahab is located on the rooftop and has a laid back and rather cute rooftop ambiance. The location isn't bad and there is some good local sheesha and koshary nearby. The breakfast is basic for 5-6 LE (tea, bread rolls + boiled egg) and the hostel offers simple rooms (just small rooms with a bed and window) with decent wifi + shared bathrooms that are pretty clean. Bring toilet paper and don't expect a great shower, as the H2O pressure is horrible. I say go for Arabian Nights!

Arabian Nights, Cairo, Egypt
7.7
14th Mar 2010

I love this hostel. I've stayed here twice while visiting Cairo. It's cozy and the staff is very friendly and casual. It is just a few blocks from the Khan market and is in a very "egyptian" part of the city. You won't be seeing too many expats around here!