Reviews: jhope1033

Location USA, Gender Female, Age 32

Hatters at Hilton Chambers, Manchester, England
5.1
29th Oct 2016

Great location, daytime staff nice and helpful. The property was not as clean as I'd have liked for the price. The lock on my room didn't work so we all had to let each other in at several points. Me and another girl spoke to reception about this and they gave us new keys, but the lock itself was broken. Saw mice running around the kitchen at night. Ensuite bathroom in my room was never cleaned during my stay. This hostel was very expensive compared to what I'm used to.

Khaosan Immjai, Bangkok, Thailand
16th Jan 2016

Cute little spot near Khao San. It was great however the cleaning people are a little too thorough on the room cleaning. I had bad jetlag and was sleeping while they cleaned my room and they made me wake up and get out of bed to change my sheets. It was crazy. Also the bathrooms are always muddy but what can ya do? Pro tip: take a metered taxi there instead of a tuk tuk. It will be cheaper than whatever price you agreed on.

BED STATION Hostel, Bangkok, Thailand
13th Jan 2016

Really great overall. Loved the beds. The only thing I wish was different was the overwhelming mothball smell. I also got up early one day and wanted to use the common area and a bunch of non-staff people were sleeping there? But wasn't a huge issue. Would go back in a second!

• USA, All Female Group, 31-40
Stadtalm Naturfreundehaus, Salzburg, Austria
4.3
26th Dec 2015

I ignored the reviews of this place because of the view. But the atmosphere and the staff really put a damper on our trip. The restaurant now closes at 4pm so if you want to eat you have to go into town. You aren't allowed to even sit in the restaurant to eat your own food after 6 and they lock it after their private party leaves, leaving everyone to sit on the stairs or in the hallway if they want to eat or use their laptops outside of their bed. Room was really cold and the heater didn't work.

• USA, All Female Group, 31-40
Prague-1 Hostel, Prague, Czech Republic
22nd Dec 2015

Not really a hostel, more a couple private rooms with a shared mini fridge in the hall. The man who checked us in was very nice and informative and even let us check out later the next day and leave our bags (just in the hall, but there isn't anyone around to mess with them.) Nice garden outside.

Amstel House Hostel, Berlin, Germany
7.7
19th Dec 2015

Only stayed here one night but the staff were really nice. The key card kept demagnetizing which was annoying at 3 in the morning when I had to go all the way down to reception and get it fixed. But other than that a decent place, especially if you are traveling with others.

Sir Toby's Hostel, Prague, Czech Republic
17th Dec 2015

Loved this place! I changed here after three days somewhere else and regretted not staying here the entire time. I don't usually do the hostel breakfast if it's not free but this place is totally worth it! Really cozy common room, nice kitchen, nice dorms. Would stay here next time I'm in Prague for sure!

Little Quarter Hostel, Prague, Czech Republic
6.0
14th Dec 2015

This place is depressing if you want to socialize with anyone. But they have good free computers in the lobby and they have cheap beers you can buy at reception. Some of the staff are much nicer than others. The bathrooms were pretty bad, tons of water everywhere at all times of the day and no way to mop it up except with the towel they provide for you. Everything else was clean though. If you want to be left alone stay here, bring shower shoes.

Smart Stay Berlin City, Berlin, Germany
5.7
13th Dec 2015

This place is fine if you need to be close to the bus station, but make sure you get a receipt for everything. The man who checked me in asked for a 5 euro key deposit and then woman I checked out with refused to give it back to me without a receipt, saying there was no record of a deposit. When I gave it to her she was very upset and threw the money at me with a "Here!". I wrote the hotel afterwards to report this incident and never recieved a response. Would not return after this.

Castle Rock Hostel, Edinburgh, Scotland
30th Nov 2015

I've probably stayed in 100 hostels around the world. This one is the best. Originally booked ofr three days, stayed three weeks. They have everything you want from a hostel. It has areas for studying, partying, watching movies, cooking, and playing music. All of the staff were AMAZING and really helpful at all hours of the day or night. Just stay there- you won't regret it!

Heart of Gold Hostel, Berlin, Germany
6.6
15th Nov 2015

I wanted to like this place. One issue I had was that every time I went to use the kitchen my key would not work. It's up on the top floor so I hadto go all the way back down to get it fixed. Biggest issue was getting locked out of my room 10 minutes before check out while in the shower. When I went down to get my key fixed (in a towel) I was told it was almost time for check out anyway. When I tried to continue the conversation I was shushed and then ignored. This ruined my experience.

Hostel Heart of Sarajevo, Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina
19th Oct 2015

This hostel is really lovely and has a homey vibe. The staff is so kind and helpful. They will look up stuff for you and give you recommendations for places to eat. I really enjoyed the common spaces, especially the one in our bedroom. The price is amazing for the quality of the hostel. I wish there were more bathrooms, but it was never a huge issue. Would absolutely recommend it! Great place!

Dear Guest, it was wonderful to have you as our guest and we thank you for such a lovely review and for recommending the hostel. We wish you best of luck. Hostel Heart of Sarajevo staff

Hostel Majdas, Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina
13th Oct 2015

Loved Madjas place! Do the tour, you won't regret it. Madja is the sweetest and I really felt like I was staying with family when I was there. She really goes out of her way to make you feel comfortable and like a person, instead of just a traveler or a bed. The weather wasn't great when I was there and she made us all feel really cozy and at home. This is not a party hostel, but a place of community. A must visit.

9th Oct 2015

Ana and Jess really went out of their way to foster an inclusive and fun atmosphere at the hostel. The showers were excellent and the beds were the most comfortable I've stayed on in any hostel. Absolutely the only choice when staying in Dubrovnik. Loved it.

Apinelo Hostel, Split, Croatia
8.0
6th Oct 2015

I only stayed one night but the staff were so friendly and told me everything I could see and do. They were more than happy to let me stay after check out and use the kitchen and common spaces since it was pouring rain outside. The aircon and wifi worked well.

7.7
3rd Oct 2015

Really cool hostel in the heart of the hip district of Hamburg. The common room was really great with lots of seating and the internet was strong. The kitchen was ok, pretty small for the amount of people living there. Nice that they had free tea and coffee. The showers need a serious upgrade, cold water in 30 second bursts. I would pay more for better showers and go back again.

Castanea Old Town Hostel, Stockholm, Sweden
23rd Sep 2015

Good hostel in the old town. Kitchen and bathroom facilities feel a bit small for how large the hostel is but everyone managed ok. For a 16 bed dorm it didn't feel overly crowded and the windows were nice for letting in fresh air. Common area is good for meeting people.

Glad you found Castanea so positive! Welcome back anytime!

City Backpackers Hostel, Stockholm, Sweden
21st Sep 2015

This hostel has everything you could possibly need. The kitchen and wifi are great. Bathrooms even have hairdryers. My room felt a bit claustrophobic with there not being any fresh air but the courtyard area was really nice and had a cover for the rain. Free coffee and tea were a HUGE PLUS! Would stay here again.

Thanks for your kind words. Glad to hear you would stay here again! Welcome back anytime. Kind regards Charmaine CBP

Hostel Casa del Parque, San Jose, Costa Rica
31st May 2015

Absolutely gorgeous hostel in a hip part of town. When I walked in I thought it looked like a palace! The kitchen is nice and the back patio was great. No internet in the room, but that wasn't a huge deal. A bit of a hike from the bus terminal but definitely doable and I felt safe walking to and from the hostel. A few places to eat nearby and a couple shops. I would stay here again.

PLUS Florence, Florence, Italy
7th Sep 2013

Good hostel for groups. Lots of facilities for when you just want to sit around the hostel. A little out of the way if you want to be able to access your hostel frequently throughout the day. They let you store you bags before and after your stay which was nice. The pool is good as are all the common areas. Shower was great. The only areas I thought they could improve upon were the wifi (it didn't work most of the time I was there and never in my room) and the a/c. The rooms were very hot.

Bahaus Guesthouse Hostel, Istanbul, Turkey
28th Aug 2013

Absolutely fantastic! I only stayed one night but I loved it and would definitely stay there again if I found myself back in Istanbul. Wonderful location, great staff, amazing view, delicious breakfast.

4.7
21st Apr 2009

This place was really really dirty. There was food in the rooms and old cups of hot chocolate rotting away on the floor. The bathrooms were gross. Close to bus and train.

Durty Nellys Inn, Amsterdam, Netherlands
2nd Apr 2009

Very cool place, probably best for groups or men traveling alone as it is above a bar and security is a bit sketchy. Right in the center of everything!

Pfefferbett Hostel, Berlin, Germany
30th Mar 2009

Great for groups, lots to do around the area although it is not the city center. Had skype AND headsets!!

River Bank Hostel, Prague, Czech Republic
27th Mar 2009

Very nice hostel in a great spot, views looking out onto the river and the castle. Great kitchen and shower.

Euro Youth Hostel, Munich, Germany
7.0
24th Mar 2009

Pretty good party hostel. They are doing construction right now which made things a little messy and crowded. One of the best showers I've ever taken!

L' Imbarcadero, Venice, Italy
9.0
22nd Mar 2009

Great little place, wonderful staff, sweet kitchen. Hot showers, close to train station. Very homey! Thanks Seymour!

Youth Meeting Home, Florence, Italy
6.3
18th Mar 2009

This place is pretty sketchy. Keep in mind that they charge you extra for food and sheets, 5-10 euros per night mandatory. Location is great and showers are hot. Just kind of a weird place.

Mar-Mar, Cinque Terre, Italy
9.0
14th Mar 2009

What a wonderful hostel!!! I will definitely stay here again! Beautiful room with excellent kitchen. Had a terrace that overlooked the town. 3 minutes to trails and train station! Very laid back staff had irregular hours for off season but if you told then when you were going to come by they were there. A few things in the room were breaking but its an old place so what do you expect? If you are a laid back person then you will fit right in at this awesome place!

Vertigo Centre, Marseille, France
6.7
9th Mar 2009

very close to the train station! Small basic room with en suite shower (cold water) and sink and toilet across the hall. Friendly helpful staff when I arrived but a few had a hard time communicating. Was pretty close to harber (15 minute walk) and was good for what I needed.