Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 29

Hostal Atlanta

Palma de Mallorca, Spain

This is a great place! The hostal and cantina staff were all fantastically helpful and welcoming, and helped me find lots of things to do, places to eat, etc. My room was very comfortable and clean, and great value for money. The location is superb, very close to the beach and good restaurants, and very easy to reach from the airport. When I come back to Mallorca, I'm definitely staying here again!

Dink's Place

Hvar, Croatia

The BEST place to stay in Hvar! I got such a warm welcome from the staff, and really felt included and at home here. I've stayed in hostels all over the world, and Dink's is a really special place :-) They have great facilities (everything you might need, and they will really bend over backwards to help you with anything!). Beds are very comfy, and everything is super clean. The location is great (close to all the action but also quiet for sleeping). I'll definitely be back!

Great staff, amazing showers, well-located. I will definitely stay here again! Cheers, guys!

Hotel Jorgensen

Copenhagen, Denmark

The hostel section of this hotel is adequate, but could definitely use some updating. The beds are quite old and crowded into the rooms, and paying for linen is outdated and silly. That said, the staff were very helpful and welcoming, the breakfast is good (you have to pay but it's good value for money!) and the location is great!

Hotel Jorgensen

Copenhagen, Denmark

The hostel section of this hotel is adequate, but could definitely use some updating. Copenhagen is an expensive place in general, so good value, modern hostels are tricky to find. The beds are quite old and crowded into the basement rooms, and paying for linen is outdated and silly. That said, the staff were very helpful and welcoming, the breakfast is good (you have to pay but it's good value for money!) and the location is really great, close to good restaurants, a market, and easy to find

Such a wonderful place! The beds are so comfortable- like sleeping inside a warm, cozy cloud! The breakfast is superb (hearty, filling, and delicious, with many options), and the staff are all friendly and helpful, and seem genuinely interested in helping you have a good experience. This is definitely an upscale hostel, and is one of the best I have stayed in! Even though I was just here for a short time, I felt at home. I will come back again!

Green Lizard Hostel

Hvar, Croatia

This is SUCH a wonderful hostel. The staff are all simply delightful- They are friendly, warm, knowledgeable, and always willing to help with anything you might need. Everything is sparkling clean, the rooms are spacious and comfortable, the facilities are excellent (superb internet, and I LOVED sitting on the terrace on a beanbag, in the sun.) Pure bliss! Only thing: More covered areas in case of rain would be nice. I really felt at home here at GL. If you are on Hvar, STAY HERE!

Not a bad place by any means, but definitely not my favorite hostel. There isn't much of a common area, and no real kitchen (just a fridge, hotplate, and kettle on a table). It's clean and the beds are comfortable, so if you just need somewhere to sleep that is very centrally located, this is an ok place.

The Drunken Monkey Hostel

Zadar, Croatia

A wonderful hostel! The atmosphere is really laid back, but fun in the evenings in the lounge/bar. The staff are genuine and personable and really seem like they care about you, which makes a difference! They are knowledgeable and give great recommendations for things to do in town/restaurants, etc. The facilities are all great. If I come back to Zadar, I'll definitely stay here again! I felt at home here. My only complaint is that it is a bit expensive- how about adding a breakfast?

Funk Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

I only stayed here 1 night (unfortunately!) but I loved this hostel. The staff were simply delightful- they really seemed interested in each guest, and were very personable, warm, and helpful with any special needs. I really felt at home here, and will definitely stay at Funk Hostel again if I come back to Zagreb! The facilities were all great, breakfast was nice, beds were comfortable, and the shelves by the beds were a nice touch. Super hostel!!!

Astoria City Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

This hostel was great! I was only there for 1 night, but it was very relaxed and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious (the pancakes were really nice!) and the facilities were all great. It is literally ON TOP of Astoria metro station (a major hub) so the location couldn't be better, with grocery stores and pharmacies also close by.

SmallGroup Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

I was here with 2 friends, and it was a really nice hostel for us. It felt like we were staying in our own little flat. Probably not a great option if you're traveling alone, but for groups it was great. The location is super, and the facilities were good (although the internet was a little weak). The staff were very accommodating, and relaxed, and I really appreciated them letting me do a late check out on my last day when I had an evening flight. It was very helpful!

• 2nd Apr 2012

Hobo Bear Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

Nice hostel, in a good location, with good facilities. It is a bit expensive for what you get though- adding a breakfast would be nice. The staff is really helpful, kind, and fun, and make people feel comfortable and at home. And the pizza restaurant next door is FANTASTIC!

Aboriginal Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

This was my second time at Aboriginal Hostel and I loved it again! This is exactly what you want from a hostel- a cozy, fun environment where it's easy to meet people, do interesting activities, and have a comfortable stay. This is one of my all-time favorite hostels. Great location, close to everything you need, great showers, good internet, comfortable beds, yummy breakfast (waffles!) and great people to share the experience with. Only drawback: dogs are cute but can be annoying at times.

• 23rd Mar 2012
  • Globetrotter

Best location! Staff was friendly and helpful. No lockers in the rooms for valuables, though. I've stayed at a few hostels in Galway, and this one was the nicest!

Fairman House

Derry, Northern Ireland

A really nice, comfortable place. The beds were fantastically comfortable, the kitchen facilities were superb, breakfast was very good (the eggs and fruit were a nice touch!), the common room with the coal fire was very cosy. I felt very at home here! (also, it's a great value for money!) Thanks for a great stay!

Youthhostel Schaan-Vaduz

Schaan, Liechtenstein

Liked: Very clean, comfortable beds, spacious room, AMAZING breakfast (good variety and plentiful!), beautiful views out the windows/around, near the supermarket. Disliked: The internet system. You can only use the free wifi IF you have a mobile phone which can receive texts. We didn't have a phone, and weren't provided with any other options/help (except to pay for the expensive internet on the 1 basement computer). Considering how expensive the hostel already is, this was frustrating.

• 3rd Mar 2012

Youth Hostel Innsbruck

Innsbruck, Austria

This is a typical, old-school youth hostel. Liked: Breakfast is free and good, facilities are adequate. Disliked: The whole hallway smells like a toilet; Internet is 3 euros per day which is ridiculous since the hostel is so expensive; The staff did NOT tell us about the Innsbruck Card, which will save you a LOT of money if you are going to do any touristy stuff; Also: The rooms are tiny (they feel like a SPACESHIP), but the lockers are really big so it's ok.

• 29th Feb 2012

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

This was my first time at a Wombats and we were very impressed! Sparkling clean, free towels, comfortable beds, very helpful staff who went out of their way for us, convenient location, great price for the experience, and the breakfast had a lot of options (even for vegetarians). Great stay, we'll definitely stay at other Wombats in the future!

• 26th Feb 2012

Hostel One Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

Liked: The staff (especially Jessie!) were SO wonderful and helpful in everything. The atmosphere is excellent, facilities are good. Disliked: Not enough pots in the kitchen, frying pans need to be replaced, the bar is only open friday/saturday, the wifi only works on the ground floor, but it IS fast down there. This is my second time at HostelOne, and if we return to Prague, I'll stay there again!

• 20th Feb 2012

Hostel Ruthensteiner

Vienna, Austria

Liked: Comfortable beds, sparkling clean, friendly staff/bartenders with lots of good information, wifi was excellent (worked even in the building/rooms across the street), very easy to find and very close to public transport. Disliked: Push-button showers (annoying!), ensuite design (1 shower for 8 women is a little difficult), the breakfast is fine but not great value for the price.

• 17th Feb 2012
  • Globetrotter

Liked: Comfortable beds, great restaurant and bar (wine for 60 cents!), you have to pay for breakfast but the portions are huge, it's delicious, and really good value for money. Location is great, close to the old town. Facilities are good (kitchen, internet, great showers). Disliked: The staff at the front desk are not very helpful (they don't recommend anything and don't know where a grocery store is!). FYI: Bus station directions are posted by the luggage room.

Valpackers Hostel

Valparaiso, Chile

Really beautiful hostel! I loved the decor (high ceilings, lots of vintage furniture, very colorful). The beds were very comfortable, and the place was really easy to find (unlike many hostels in Valpo). Nice breakfast too- my only suggestion to improve that is to have unlimited coffee!! A great stay- I'll be back.

PataPata Hostel

Valparaiso, Chile

Great location (tricky to find, at first, but it really is in the best place!), and wonderful breakfast. Had a bit of trouble getting the DVDs to work, and my bed was missing a pillow, but it wasn't a huge problem. Checking in and out took quite awhile (the staff didn't seem to be around, or at least they weren't at the desk- another guest had to go and fetch them for me). But overall, not a bad stay.

Bellavista Hostel

Santiago, Chile

Central Backpackers

Oxford, England

Zodiakus Hostel

Krakow, Poland

I can't say enough WONDERFUL things about Zodiakus! I keep coming back here, and LOVE it! A fantastic atmosphere, lots of great memories. This is my favorite hostel in the world (and I've stayed in a lot!). Thanks for another lovely stay :)

Hostel Helvetia

Warsaw, Poland

A really solid hostel. The showers were FANTASTIC. Very clean rooms, good breakfast, and close to everything. I wish there had been more of a sense of community though- it was just a lot of small groups who kept to themselves. More activities/involvement of the staff might have been nice to help everyone get to know each other, maybe organise a night out?

Zodiakus Hostel

Krakow, Poland

I simply cannot say enough WONDERFUL things about this hostel. Zodiakus is truly my HOME in Poland. When you are traveling, to find a hostel that feels like home, with guests and staff that feel like your family, is a rare and special thing indeed. The facilities are great, extremely clean, and is very cosy. The small size of the hostel is what fosters this incredible community. You'll never want to leave! (Or if you have to, you count the days until you can return!) Zodiakus = Happiness.

Derry City Independent Hostel

Derry, Northern Ireland

The City Hostel is my home in Derry :) It is a comfortable, easygoing place with great people and helpful staff who go above and beyond to make your stay and travels beyond Derry excellent. Many thanks to Geoff! The hostel is close to everything you need- pubs, supermarket, many live music options, the Bogside, etc. You MUST stay here if you come to Derry! I'm sure I'll be back again :)

Amsterdam Hostel Annemarie

Amsterdam, Netherlands

When I arrived, a girl was complaining of bedbugs in the hostel- I never saw or got any, but this still freaked me out. But the staff member on duty handled everything very well and professionally. The building is very old and pretty run down in parts- it needs a good cleaning and updating. Also, you should be aware that it is QUITE a far walk to the main center of town- the hostel is close to the Rijks and Van Gogh museum. You'll survive, but stay somewhere else if you can.

Kinlay Eyre Square Hostel

Galway, Ireland

This is a perfectly adequate hostel. The security is a bit strange and overly strict in some senses and not others (ie you have to be let in the door, but there are no lockers in the rooms!). The breakfast is decent. Galway doesn't have many smaller, more intimate, independent hostels, which was what I wanted, but Kinlay was fine for a short while.

Sleepzone

Galway, Ireland

If you want your trip to Galway to feel like a trip to rehab instead, then stay at Sleepzone. This hostel feels like either a hospital or a prison. Also, there were lots of young teenagers running around. No breakfast, so not a good value for the money. The security SEEMS good (need a key to enter the building at all hours, no guests, etc.) but there are no lockers in the rooms at all. Staff don't seem to care about you as an individual. I am so glad that I stayed at a different hostel my second night

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Thanks guys for another lovely time!

Belfast, Northern Ireland

This hostel is fantastic! I highly recommend it. It feels like home, which is a really rare and special thing to find while traveling the world. Lovely environment, location, and facilities. The staff is tops. Vagabonds is the best!

Belfast, Northern Ireland

I've stayed in a lot of hostels over the years, and this one is TOPS. It's a wonderful, homey environment, and really does feel like you're staying at a friend's house. Really lovely decor and chill ambiance, in a beautiful old building. But with that, beware the old building on party evenings: Earplugs are key. Very clean and well-maintained. The staff are fantastic and heaps of fun as well as being very helpful on anything you might need. Great memories in Belfast!

Lagan Backpackers

Belfast, Northern Ireland

This is a great hostel! Definitely recommend it. It's very close to everything you'll need in Belfast, and the staff is fantastic; they will be candid with you about what is and isn't worth doing, and will really take care of you. WIlliam even gives his phone number for 24 hour emergencies. The breakfast they cook each morning is fantastic (I usually wasn't hungry until dinnertime!). The hostel is clean, and the beds are very comfortable. I even extended my stay by a couple of days!

Jorplace

The Hague, Netherlands

Room 1 is very crowded, stuffy, and isn't as well-developed as the other rooms. It needs some work done- reading lights, better ventilation, more outlets, and the underbed lockers repaired. But I've stayed here before and the other rooms are much better :) The location is FANTASTIC, very close to the beach, supermarket, tram, and anything else you need. Scheveningen is so much fun! But I wish the hostel bar had been open after the beach party- even the locals thought it would be, but not so