Location: Canada, Age: 43

Majorelle Cotonou

Cotonou, Benin

Rest assured this is a comfortable oasis in a wonderful country. The owner and staff ensured that my stay was memorable and satisfactory. Upon my return to Cotonou, it was an easy decision to stay here again. If luck finds me, I will happily stay here a third time.

Interhouse Bishkek

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

I couldn't have been more impressed. Fully recommended. This may be the cleanest hostel I've ever stayed at in over 5 years of continuous travel.

B&B at Bailanysh

Karakol, Kyrgyzstan

I loved this place. It's new and it's only going to get better. This is not the party hostel. This is the stay with a Kyrgyz family and experience the culture. There is a charming back yard with a yurt that can be rented or used as a reading room. The room I had was comfortable, clean, newly renovated and had heat and hot water. The people though were the true highlight. Stay and you'll understand. Outstanding free breakfast. Close enough to town but bring a flashlight after dark.

Hostel Inn Chuy142

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

You know the kind of place that makes you feel welcome as soon as you arrive? Yeah, that's this place. Kind staff, and a generous owner that was interested in everyone that walked in. I wish I had more time to stay. Perhaps one more washroom would make this place even better. Not the easiest place to find so be sure you get detailed instructions in addition to the ones on the site. You need to know to walk around back and through a door up the stairs. Good place.

Mirzo B&B Hostel

Tashkent, Uzbekistan

A tourist might want a hotel. A traveller will want to stay here at this guesthouse. You will be treated like a GUEST in their HOUSE. I loved it, and returned a second time. The son is friendly and warm and helpful. The father is a history scholar who surprised me by playing his great grandfather's dutar. (2-string guitar). What an experience! Close to bazaar, metro and local grocery store and restaurants. Warm room, comfortable and clean. Recommended fully.

Bdeiwi Hostel & Hotel

Amman, Jordan

It was the concern of the staff when they found I wasn't feeling well that is most memorable. Nice. And convenient location too.

Hayarkon 48 Hostel

Tel Aviv, Israel

All good here. Happy to find out I unintentionally booked the same hostel here as when I was here 5 years ago. Still great stuff. Great staff. And better Breakfast than before. Recommended fully

Citadel Youth Hostel

Jerusalem, Israel

I would easily return here. 4 days is hardly enough. A simple Breakfast option would be nice but otherwise it is money well spent. Great location and staff.

MM Cozy Place mid-range Guest House

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Everything I hoped for from a guesthouse in Addis. And more. Such a kind family and very helpful. Even offered me a free ride to the airport. Tops marks.

Ciudad Vieja Hostel

Montevideo, Uruguay

I stayed in their hostel in Colombia years ago which I thought was great. This matched that hostels quality of staff and overall vibe and facilities. Different city but same experience. Best roommates ever as well.

Mama Brasil Hostel

Sao Paulo, Brazil

I've stayed in hundreds of hostels, and this is everything I'd hope for when booking a new one. Warm friendly fun owners with a homelike feel and cool common room to hang after a day or night out. I will always stay here while in SP. Great.

• 25th Oct 2013

YHA Bangkok Airport

Bangkok, Thailand

Mount Lavinia Home Stay

Colombo, Sri Lanka

Priyani was a warm and welcoming host. She shared her time and family stories graciously. She ensured all was looked after including waking up at 3:45 in the morning to see that my taxi arrived. So close to the beach and cafes on the waterfront. I hope to return to Sri Lanka, and I will aim to stay here again. Fully recommended to anyone wishing to see inside a real Sri Lanka home. ( Read: not the place to go to party. )

Clock Inn Colombo

Colombo, Sri Lanka

Well, it is not quite deserving of top marks in Atmosphere or Location, but I felt compelled to rate it as high as possible because it is beyond Excellent on so many other levels. They need to show other hostels how it is done. Clean, efficient, safe, secure, air conditioned, casual, bright and wired. A good restaurant nearby, and a quick walk to the water. Well done Clock Inn. Well done.

Thank you ever so much for your review. We are extremely touched! This encourages us to work harder and raise the bar to the highest standard possible! The next time you do visit us, we promise to have a lot more character to our hotel. Thank you once again for your positive review and we hope you had a great holiday in Sri Lanka! Happy Travels!

@Hua Lamphong

Bangkok, Thailand

HI - Winnipeg Downtown

Winnipeg, Canada

HI - Winnipeg Downtown

Winnipeg, Canada

Friendly staff. Good beds. Warm and safe inside. Good restaurant/lounge in building. Pub in building but noise didn't reach the room. Could improve things like having lockers in all rooms, the lock on the washroom was broken, and frankly it's not in the best neighbourhood. That being said, I enjoyed my stay and had no problems.

Thanks for your feedback and rating! Since we have been at our current location (4 years this summer), the HI-Winnipeg has been regarded as a piece of the puzzle for downtown revitalization in Winnipeg. We strive to be part of our community and to take a grassroots approach to our decisions to help benefit our neighbours as they have helped us. Thanks again and we're glad that you enjoyed your stay. HI-Winnipeg

HI - Boston Downtown

Boston, USA

GOOD: staff, clean and a big place to meet a lot of people, and very close to subway. BAD: the natural downside to BIG is NOISE. Be warned.

Tone on Lex

New York, USA

GOOD: Free toothpaste. (I'm trying hard to think of something that stood out. It's great value for the money here. Cheap, safe and a somewhat unique way to live in NY...like at someone's house. BAD: Only place to hangout is in the kitchen with a tv above the table. Lame.

GOOD: Fun house, great staff and loads to meet. Pool!! Bbq, tv, internet...everything you'd want. Good value for the money. BAD: Need to unclog the tub, and work on the cleanliness of toilets. Terrible shape. GOOD & BAD: Location is NOT in or near the French Quarter...which is both good and bad depending on when you want to party and when you want some peace.

Luna's Castle Hostel

Panama City, Panama

Excellent spot. Seriously got it all covered right down to free banana pancakes in the morning...every morning. I dare you to try to stay just one day. Great job Luna!

Bogota, Colombia

My third time there. Didn't hesitate whatsoever going back. From warm hugs and a kiss on the cheek upon my return, to ensuring my taxi driver wouldn't overcharge a gringo... the staff couldn't be beat. Warm, safe, and comfortable...with towels and great wifi signal. And free coffee. Awesome.

Tiger Paw Hostel

Medellin, Colombia

Great deal with nothing to complain about. Great room, great beds, great staff, rooftop patio a bonus. Nice vibe inside. Bit of an uphill walk from the metro but otherwise well located. I would stay again for sure.

Bogota, Colombia

The Good: Clean, safe, good beds and great staff. The Could-Be-Better: Showers need some work. The Best: Blue-eyed hostel dog and free coffee. Nice hammocks too.

Bogota, Colombia

Worth every penny. I mean, peso. I just booked my return to Bogota at this hostel. No hesitation recommending it to you.

Hostal Sol de Oro

Arequipa, Peru

Worth every penny in every way.

Hostel Kokopelli

Lima, Peru

Best deal in town! Great staff, hot water, clean, free wifi, computers with Skype, large rooftop bar, and tons of movies and books. hell, you can even order food and have it brought to you on the rooftop. Excellent find.

Inka's Rest

Puno, Peru

Stay here if you want quiet. Great helpful staff! Wifi is open 24 hours but internet/computers/lounge closes at 10 pm.

El Misti Botafogo Hostel e Pousada

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Fantastic experience overall, and would have stayed longer here if I could. Only area of improvement would be the toilets. Clean but old. The rest of the place will have you feeling like you´re staying with friends. Cool friends at that. So helpful, friendly and a great cook for the free breakfast (including scrambled eggs, meat, fruit, good coffee and cheese)

Dingo Moon Lodge

Darwin, Australia

Free laundry! Good breakfast. All in addition to a clean place in a good location with friendly helpful staff and a nice pool. Not the thickest mattresses ever but I got a good sleep nonetheless. Good deal here.

Great place to meet other travellers, get some good advice and enjoy yourself in the city and in the hostel. They've got a good thing here. I'd return without question. More than your money's worth...

Seriously worth MORE than what you pay. They didn't miss a beat designing this hostel, and the staff is as friendly and helpful as imaginable. No worries recommending this one.

Bamboo House Inn

Yangshuo, China

Annie and Paul made my stay so comfortable. Very warm and friendly people at this guest house style hostel. I will return one day (hopefully soon), and won't hesitate staying here again.

Wada Hostel in Guilin

Guilin, China

In warm weather, this place is a great choice. I enjoyed the stay here. Only complaint would be the cold room in January. Great staff, huge lounge with movie rooms and bar/restaurant.

Dragon Hostel Hong Kong

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

100% worthwhile for this price range and for Hong Kong. The staff helped secure my Chinese visa, and gave me many tips for travel throughout the area. I'd stay here again.

Yesinn @Fortress Hill

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Worth every penny for those that come to see HK on a budget. Easy to find, near metro, good wifi, clean and friendly reception. No frills and nothing missing.

PERFECT location for the airport arrival/departure. Fantastic staff and an authentic Japanese feel. I would return.

Good: location and comfort. Bad: electricity (& tv) not working in my capsule. Made charging my camera battery a hassle.

Everything was perfect in hostel terms. GREAT staff even took us on a free drive up to a locals-only viewpoint of the city, and were so helpful with advice and booking other hostels/transportation. Plus the place is spotless and charming in true Japanese style.

Hiroshima Hana Hostel

Hiroshima, Japan

simply excellent. no hesitation as I booked another night here on my return through Hiro

Suzhou Watertown Hostel

Suzhou, China

Best part: hot shower and cool movie hub in reading room. Worst part: hostel dog not for sale. He's adorable. I would return and stay here. No hesitation.

Happy Dragon Hostel

Beijing, China

Affordable, good value and fantastic staff. I wouldn't hesitate staying again.

Dear Chris, Thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment/response about our hostel on the hostelworld site. We really hope that you had a great time here and in Beijing, wish you a happy new year, and hope to see you again. With kind regards from all the staff here at Happy Dragon Hostel, Beijing

Golden Gobi

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Golden Gobi is like home away from home. Bob and his warm, fun family looked after all my needs including running to the Chinese embassy to pick-up my visa for me. The tour through the Gobi desert that he arranged for us was fantastic; a truly local experience with no hidden costs or surprises. Oh, and the price is right too. I have no hesitation recommending this place. Enjoy your time here. I did.

Napoleon Hostel

Moscow, Russia

Yana is AWESOME.

HI Chris, thank-you for staying at Napoleon Hostel Moscow. We really appreciated your visit and we agree 100% that Yana (our wonderful receptionist) is indeed totally awesome!! We look forward to seeing you again in Moscow)) All the best Richard (Manager) and all the staff at Napoleon Hostel - especially Yana!!

I loved my stay at Silver Moon Guest house. I was very sad to leave not just the town, the seaside but also the family that ran the guest house. They looked after all my concerns, and made me feel like part of their family. I'll be back.

Soul Kitchen Hostel

St Petersburg, Russia

Look no further. This is a great way to ease into St.Petersburg. The only negative thing about staying at Soul Kitchen is that all future hostels will fail to match it on so many levels. Great staff, great location, comfortable and clean. They even helped me celebrate with a bottle of vodka when the airline finally found/returned my luggage. It was sad to leave but great to stay at Soul Kitchen!

Goat Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

If the staff were anymore willing to help, I would question their sanity. LOVED THEM. Friendly, warm and patient even as I arrived past midnight. Great location for exploring the city and hitting a few restaurants and bars. Safe, easy choice. My only regret is I didn't see any goats.

Mosquito Hostel

Krakow, Poland

Great hostel! Mark and the other staff were so friendly, welcoming and helpful. I walked from the train station and found it easily in a great part of town to start exploring Prague. Worth each penny and more.

King Tut Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

Great value in terms of price and staff. You will feel welcome immediately. Helpful, kind staff. Clean rooms. And free tea and fruit!