Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 40

Happy Buddha Boutique Hostal

Medellin, Colombia

I had a great time here. Marcela the bartender and all of the staff were great.

Hotel Ideal Manaus

Manaus, Brazil

Wow, this neighborhood was sure ugly. People at the desk were not great, and when I woke up in the morning I realized that the mattress smelled really bad. Nope, wasn't me. At least the breakfast was pretty good.

Ocara Hostel

Manaus, Brazil

The staff here was great, but my private room was definitely overpriced. I paid $45 a night to sleep on box springs: I was told that there were no other options. I would probably consider going somewhere else.

Che Lagarto Hostel Natal

Natal, Brazil

Some staff members were nice, and some were not. Not one of them had any idea how the bus systems worked, so don't ask them since they will get you lost every time. They really didn't know too much about the tours they recommended as well.

Barra Guest Hostel

Salvador, Brazil

I really liked this hostel. The staff really could not have been any better or more welcoming.

Barra Beach Club Oceanfront Hostel

Florianopolis, Brazil

I liked this hostel overall. The restaurant and bar were good, and the staff was very friendly. However, while I was there, they had huge problems with the water. Giving people one hour a day to shower was pretty nuts. I think the situation could have been handled better.

Great value for the money. The Dutch guy and his co-worker were truly awesome (wish I could remember their names). I would highly recommend this place.

H Rado Hostel

Santiago, Chile

The staff here was pretty good, and Barbara was particularly awesome. The terrace and the view from it were both amazing. Clean place, very modern. Good location on Pio Nono. Would have been nice if the BBQ worked. Nobody could seem to get the TV to work either.

Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments and choosing Rado Hostel. We have explained to all our staff how to configure the TV and where the spare gas is so this does not happen again.

Hostel Lao

Mendoza, Argentina

Even though this place was good, it did not live up to the high rankings on Hostelworld. When I booked, it was at 94%, which is at least 10% higher than it should be. In the summer it is probably nice with a pool and hammock, but in the winter it doesn't do anyone too much good. The staff ranged from great to so-so. There was only one computer, the kitchen was often crowded, and my duvet cover smelled like a heavily used pair of boxer shorts. I would probably not stay here on my next visit.

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us as much as nearly all our guests do. We feel the hostel is a lovely space in winter, well heated, comfy lounges/communal spaces, a real fire. I am not too sure what heavily used boxer shorts smell like but we would have been happy to change your duvet if you asked us. We wash them frequently and they all have covers that we try to change after every guest so we are a little surprised by this. Safe Travels

Hospedaje Penthouse 1004

Bariloche, Argentina

Quite possibly the best hostel I have ever been to. The staff members have all been there at least nine years each, and they genuinely seem to like meeting travelers. Annie is especially awesome--super friendly, and she loves working there. The view is spectacular, the place is clean and pretty quiet, and the other travelers were fun as well. If you have a problem with this place, the problem is with you!

Hostel Suites Florida

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The staff here is great, though I certainly did not think so upon arrival. When I could not find where to go to take the shuttle and missed it, they told me that "I should have tried harder." Overall they were quite good though. The Internet here is a problem since they have no where near enough computers available. The cleanliness is great: every day they clean the room and make your beds, even in a dorm.

The staff here was pretty good, especially the lady who helps with breakfast, and the location was great. However, my room smelled like moldy carpet, and they would only accept cash. Overall the hostel is pretty run down, and I would guess that there are better options available.

Tiger Paw Hostel

Medellin, Colombia

I always enjoy my stay at Tiger Paw. Great staff (Alexandra and Estefania) and a great setup with the bar and a patio at the front.

Hostal La Cazihita

Sogamoso, Colombia

Miguel could not have been any nicer. He picked me up at the bus station, found out how I could go fishing, and then walked me to the bus for Lago Tota at 7 a.m. on a Sunday. Not too far away from the main attractions on Carrera 11. You're about forty minutes from Lago Tota, and a lot of people ride their bikes up there on the weekends. Great value for the money.

El Viajero Cartagena Hostel

Cartagena, Colombia

Why does this hostel have a high rating? For the most part I felt like I was crashing a high school party. One girl who worked at the desk never looked up from texting while she was talking to me, and forget about asking her for things to do. This is the only hostel I have ever been to where I was not offered a tour of the place--I was just given my keys with a snarl. The only bright spot was the German woman who gave me a restaurant recommendation. My private room had no AC.

Hostel El Encuentro

Guatape, Colombia

Jessica is the true superstar employee of this place. She runs the joint, and she is incredibly nice. The other guys just kind of act like you're sitting in their living room, and they wish you weren't. The fishing pole is totally unusable, and the kayak can take you right down to a stream that is dumping something unpleasant into the water. The bikes are also broken down. However, the view is probably the best from a hostel in Guatapé, and the kitchen facilities are good.

Los Faroles Guesthouse

Panama City, Panama

I would definitely recommend this place. I wanted to go fishing one day, so the owner actually drove me forty-five minutes out of Panama City at 7:30 on a Sunday morning. He wanted to help me negotiate a price, so I went fishing with some other people for $40. It was almost a four-hour trip on the Panama Canal. The door guy is also great, very friendly and helpful.

Casa Viena

Villa de Leyva, Colombia

I'm not going to say that the owner is all that pleasant because he is not, and the place is pretty far from the center of town. However, the hostel itself was nice.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. I would definitely go back here again.

Hotel Lanjarón

Lanjaron, Spain

I was travel weary and needed a break--that's just what I got. You can hike in Lanjaron, or you can take the many buses to other nearby towns and hike. For 20 Euros a night I had my own bed, tv, bath, and balcony. The balcony even had a great view of the nearby hills and valleys. To top it all off, the owner speaks fluent English and was extremely helpful. I would highly recommend staying here.