Location USA, Gender Male, Age 42

Hostal Loja, Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
25th Jul 2015

I really liked this place. It was just a few minutes from the beach, and the staff there was extraordinarily nice. The lady who runs it even made me breakfast one morning, an omelette with bread and a fruit salad. Nice courtyard in the middle as well, and the AC worked great.

Manso Boutique Guesthouse, Guayaquil, Ecuador
22nd Jul 2015

I really liked the layout and location of this hotel. Sometimes the staff was great, but other times they were a bit condescending. The place was probably 10-15% overpriced. I might stay here again, but I would also look at other options.

Rio Hotels Mancora, Mancora, Peru
18th Jul 2015

The place was about a fifteen-minute walk from the main part of the beach. The area around the hotel is a little dicey, but the staff at the hotel was very mindful about security. Overall the staff was great, and the price was excellent considering the cost of many of the hotels in the area. I would stay there again.

Piccola Locanda, Cusco, Peru
17th Jul 2015

Laid back place, which is a great value for the money. I had a private room with a hot shower, AC, and a balcony. The walk is about fifteen minutes from the port, or you can take a cab for $1. The lady who runs the place is super friendly, and it was kept very clean.

Pisko & Soul, Cusco, Peru
8.0
11th Jul 2015

Really liked the staff at this place. Very friendly and knowledgeable. The only problem was that all the rooms were basically attached to the lobby or the movie room. There was always light through my window and noise at my door.

28th Dec 2014

This place was okay, but really the only friendly and helpful staff member was Ale. The hostel is not in a great neighborhood as proven by the fact that I was robbed just outside the entrance. Not their fault, but you should probably know that. It was also a little old, but at least they had a pool. Next time I will probably stay somewhere else.

Hostal Providencia, Santiago, Chile
6.9
26th Dec 2014

We had a pretty icy reception when we came in. Then we were given room one, which had no shades on a window that gets light from several sources. Loud all night, including those who worked in reception who kept singing songs. I would not stay here again.

Barrio Café Hotel Restaurant Bar, San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua
8.0
29th Jun 2014

This place was okay, but I found out the hard way that the restaurant is the priority rather than the hotel. They did construction on the hotel all night from 10 p.m. to morning two times. When I complained, they just started Saturday morning at five a.m. This is also not a great place to meet people since the restaurant downstairs is often filled with diners rather than guests of the hotel. It was okay, but I would not stay here next time. At least this place has Johnny, who is awesome.

Black Sheep Hostel Medellin, Medellin, Colombia
12th Jun 2014

Really thought the staff was great at this hostel. They were very friendly, and always willing to call a cab or help in any way. Juliana was awesome and super friendly.

Happy Buddha Boutique Hostel, Medellin, Colombia
20th Mar 2014

I had a great time here. Marcela the bartender and all of the staff were great.

Hotel Ideal Manaus, Manaus, Brazil
4.0
15th Jan 2014

Wow, this neighborhood was sure ugly. People at the desk were not great, and when I woke up in the morning I realized that the mattress smelled really bad. Nope, wasn't me. At least the breakfast was pretty good.

Ocara Hostel, Manaus, Brazil
6.0
13th Jan 2014

The staff here was great, but my private room was definitely overpriced. I paid $45 a night to sleep on box springs: I was told that there were no other options. I would probably consider going somewhere else.

Che Lagarto Hostel Natal, Natal, Brazil
10th Jan 2014

Some staff members were nice, and some were not. Not one of them had any idea how the bus systems worked, so don't ask them since they will get you lost every time. They really didn't know too much about the tours they recommended as well.

Barra Guest Hostel, Salvador, Brazil
8th Jan 2014

I really liked this hostel. The staff really could not have been any better or more welcoming.

Barra Beach Club Oceanfront Hostel, Florianopolis, Brazil
5th Jan 2014

I liked this hostel overall. The restaurant and bar were good, and the staff was very friendly. However, while I was there, they had huge problems with the water. Giving people one hour a day to shower was pretty nuts. I think the situation could have been handled better.

8th Nov 2013

Great value for the money. The Dutch guy and his co-worker were truly awesome (wish I could remember their names). I would highly recommend this place.

H Rado Hostel, Santiago, Chile
18th Jul 2013

The staff here was pretty good, and Barbara was particularly awesome. The terrace and the view from it were both amazing. Clean place, very modern. Good location on Pio Nono. Would have been nice if the BBQ worked. Nobody could seem to get the TV to work either.

Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments and choosing Rado Hostel. We have explained to all our staff how to configure the TV and where the spare gas is so this does not happen again.

Hostel Lao, Mendoza, Argentina
7.4
16th Jul 2013

Even though this place was good, it did not live up to the high rankings on Hostelworld. When I booked, it was at 94%, which is at least 10% higher than it should be. In the summer it is probably nice with a pool and hammock, but in the winter it doesn't do anyone too much good. The staff ranged from great to so-so. There was only one computer, the kitchen was often crowded, and my duvet cover smelled like a heavily used pair of boxer shorts. I would probably not stay here on my next visit.

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us as much as nearly all our guests do. We feel the hostel is a lovely space in winter, well heated, comfy lounges/communal spaces, a real fire. I am not too sure what heavily used boxer shorts smell like but we would have been happy to change your duvet if you asked us. We wash them frequently and they all have covers that we try to change after every guest so we are a little surprised by this. Safe Travels

Hospedaje Penthouse 1004, Bariloche, Argentina
11th Jul 2013

Quite possibly the best hostel I have ever been to. The staff members have all been there at least nine years each, and they genuinely seem to like meeting travelers. Annie is especially awesome--super friendly, and she loves working there. The view is spectacular, the place is clean and pretty quiet, and the other travelers were fun as well. If you have a problem with this place, the problem is with you!

Hostel Suites Florida, Buenos Aires, Argentina
2nd Jul 2013

The staff here is great, though I certainly did not think so upon arrival. When I could not find where to go to take the shuttle and missed it, they told me that "I should have tried harder." Overall they were quite good though. The Internet here is a problem since they have no where near enough computers available. The cleanliness is great: every day they clean the room and make your beds, even in a dorm.

6.9
29th Jun 2013

The staff here was pretty good, especially the lady who helps with breakfast, and the location was great. However, my room smelled like moldy carpet, and they would only accept cash. Overall the hostel is pretty run down, and I would guess that there are better options available.

Tiger Paw Hostel, Medellin, Colombia
21st Jun 2013

I always enjoy my stay at Tiger Paw. Great staff (Alexandra and Estefania) and a great setup with the bar and a patio at the front.

Hostal La Cazihita, Sogamoso, Colombia
31st May 2013

Miguel could not have been any nicer. He picked me up at the bus station, found out how I could go fishing, and then walked me to the bus for Lago Tota at 7 a.m. on a Sunday. Not too far away from the main attractions on Carrera 11. You're about forty minutes from Lago Tota, and a lot of people ride their bikes up there on the weekends. Great value for the money.

El Viajero Cartagena Hostel, Cartagena, Colombia
7th Jan 2013

Why does this hostel have a high rating? For the most part I felt like I was crashing a high school party. One girl who worked at the desk never looked up from texting while she was talking to me, and forget about asking her for things to do. This is the only hostel I have ever been to where I was not offered a tour of the place--I was just given my keys with a snarl. The only bright spot was the German woman who gave me a restaurant recommendation. My private room had no AC.

Hostel El Encuentro, Guatape, Colombia
2nd Jan 2013

Jessica is the true superstar employee of this place. She runs the joint, and she is incredibly nice. The other guys just kind of act like you're sitting in their living room, and they wish you weren't. The fishing pole is totally unusable, and the kayak can take you right down to a stream that is dumping something unpleasant into the water. The bikes are also broken down. However, the view is probably the best from a hostel in Guatapé, and the kitchen facilities are good.

Los Faroles Guesthouse, Panama City, Panama
28th Dec 2012

I would definitely recommend this place. I wanted to go fishing one day, so the owner actually drove me forty-five minutes out of Panama City at 7:30 on a Sunday morning. He wanted to help me negotiate a price, so I went fishing with some other people for $40. It was almost a four-hour trip on the Panama Canal. The door guy is also great, very friendly and helpful.

Casa Viena, Villa de Leyva, Colombia
7.7
11th Nov 2012

I'm not going to say that the owner is all that pleasant because he is not, and the place is pretty far from the center of town. However, the hostel itself was nice.

• USA,
17th Jul 2009

The staff is very friendly and helpful. I would definitely go back here again.

• USA,
Hotel Lanjarón, Lanjaron, Spain
16th Jul 2009

I was travel weary and needed a break--that's just what I got. You can hike in Lanjaron, or you can take the many buses to other nearby towns and hike. For 20 Euros a night I had my own bed, tv, bath, and balcony. The balcony even had a great view of the nearby hills and valleys. To top it all off, the owner speaks fluent English and was extremely helpful. I would highly recommend staying here.