Reviews: colcaf2394

The Bulldog

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Usually, this is the kind of place I avoid, but a short notice hostel in Ams can be a challenge.. So in that context... I didn't have a bad few days there. The staff are friendly, effective and when needed blunt, which I like. The location is great and the breakfast, tho simple and ends at 10, is appreciated. I would not say its a good place for a solo traveler, unless you are the kind who walks into a busy bar of strangers and makes a load of friends. I think 12 is also too many for a dorm.

• 8th Aug 2014

Danhostel Copenhagen City

Copenhagen, Denmark

Industrial scale hostel. It may be the biggest hostel in Europe, but certainly not the best.. Its starts as cheap, but these guy charge you for everything; sheets, breakfast, even luggage storage (never been charged for that before, very petty). The size means there is little sign of vibe or personality at this place. In a place as expensive as Copenhagen you have little choice for budget options, so these places don't need to make much effort.

• 22nd Jun 2014

City Hostel Geneva

Geneva, Switzerland

Another huge hostel in Switzerland that feels more like a hospital. Not much of a vibe and not a lot of help from the staff. Of course ask a question and you'll get an answer at least. My dorm door was broken and sometimes would not open (you almost had to kick it in, meaning wake everyone in the room every time someone enters and leaves. Kitchen facilities were not adequate for the volume of people

• 20th Jun 2014

YMCA Hostel Basel

Basel, Switzerland

At first I wasn't impressed, bit it grew on me slightly over the three days. Quite a large hostel with more of a hospital vibe than a hostel. Maybe just Switzerland and I have been spoiled in all other countries. The staff are mostly nice and helpful (as in they'l answer your question but probably not offer you any guidance), but one morning I got some real bad attitude from the french breakfast lady (not what you need when french train strikes have you stranded)

• 11th Jun 2014

Lotte - The Backpackers

Heidelberg, Germany

Really nice small hostel with a good vibe. The staff were very thoughtful (saw it was my birthday from my passport and gave me a tiny present and a free beer) and the kitchen and hangout areas are great! Location is just perfect. Two thumbs up!

• 9th Jun 2014

Jetpak Alternative

Berlin, Germany

Nice spot in an interesting part of town. Small hostel with a good crowd and vibe, good choice for solo backpackers!

• 5th Jun 2014

Palmers Lodge Zagreb

Zagreb, Croatia

Nothing special, just fine. Didn't feel much of a vibe. Convenient location near the train and bus stations, but about 1.5k to where the action is. The staff are helpful, if asked.

• 26th Apr 2014
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for writing a review :) We are very sorry you did not feel our vibe, the hostel was full when you stayed here.We always try to feel everybody welcome, as we did with you, we have showed you all the tips and tricks we know about the city, and if that did not feel enough,we apologize,we like to keep it moderate because some of the guests just come to relax and they come to us when they need us or want to hang out :) Just give us a sign and we mingle ;)

Hostel of the Sun

Naples, Italy

We were upgraded to the double ensuite, a room which is hotel standard. The staff are very nice and the location is perfectly in between the touristy area and the city center, Can't say much for the vibe since we had no time to enjoy, but it seemed like a good place to hang out and suitable for solo travelers. Breakfast is simple but effective. Highly recommended!

• 15th Nov 2013

Hostel Oki Doki

Warsaw, Poland

A really nice and social atmosphere in this place. The staff are great: friendly and helpful. It's quite big, which I usually dont like so much. But in the case of Oki Doki they hold onto to the small hostel feeling. A nice touch is that the rooms have their own theme, I really liked staying in the 'Tir na Nog' dorm. and would defo go back there if im in Warsaw again.

• 21st Aug 2013

The Monk's Bunk

Tallinn, Estonia

Not a bad spot! Probably it's more suited to groups than solo backpackers (try Tallinn Backpackers). There was only groups when I was there and not a big social vibe, so I spent much of my evening hanging out with the staff... and a nice bunch they are!

• 10th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

The atmosphere is very flat, a bit too quiet here. They were very sticky about rules and made me pay for my friend who couldnt find it (badly signed from st). I was charged for the 4 bed dorm, put in 6 bed, if I hadn't checked that I would have been ripped off. Providing coffeee without a machine to make it is just silly. Bathroom mirror fell out on me, lucky i caught it. I came for a good sleep but was woken by music in the restaraunt downstairs. But Chris is a nice girl, friendly and helpful.

• 3rd Aug 2013

Jimmy Jumps House/Hostel

Vilnius, Lithuania

Not a bad spot, but only spent one night on a cycle tour trip. Looks like a good place to party and hang out. Directions from the staff were not good... not what you need on a touring trip!

• 26th Jul 2013
  • Globetrotter

Pretty good hostel. The location is perfect and the staff are ace. They have a good formula going with the free dinner followed by pub (or more accuratly club) crawl. If you are a young solo traveller looking to party and make friends this is the place for you. The place is pretty new, so till a few kinks like creaky beds and hot and miss showers... iron them out and the place would get 100.

• 8th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hi Colm! We really appreciate your sincere review. We are working hard to overcome the downsides you have noted. Thanks and see you soon!

Academica Summer Hostel

Helsinki, Finland

I book this for my 60 yr old parents. They were very satisfied with the room, location and facilities. Staff were friendly and very helpful. Would recommend

• 26th Aug 2012
  • Couple, 41+

Terviseks

Tartu, Estonia

This is a nice little hostel, right in the center of Tartu. Clean and well equipped. Friendly and helpful staff, basic but sufficient breakfast (brownie points for the great coffee). I recommend (both Tartu and Terviseks), and I would stay here again!

• 14th Jun 2012

Dina's Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

Nice spot in the heart of downtown. Theres a few little things that could do with improving but overall it a great place to stay. The staff are really friendly and helpful

• 5th Jan 2012

Zouara Sharm Hotel

Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt

Quite nice. Lovely pool area, nice old style buildings. Spacious room, mine led out onto the pool. Food is ok; buffet breakfast. The staff are nice but a little helpless, bless em! Maybe they just speak better Russian than English as the place is full of Russians! Location is well out of Sharm, no shops/cafes/bars around. So cheap (10 euro) for single B&B but it's the extras where they catch you: expensive food and drink, internet @ 2$ per 15min (no WIFI), outrageous 150 EP airport pick up

• 2nd Jan 2012

Tallinn Backpackers

Tallinn, Estonia

Not a bad hostel... A bit of an Ozzie colonly in northern Europe. It was just before Christmas when I was there so it was really quite.... but the staff still managed to make a fun party and pub crawl. Its a good system they have, legends to go pub crawling every single day!!

• 20th Dec 2011

Flying Backpackers

Tallinn, Estonia

Not a bad hostel, staff are nice, and the location is good. Not the best place for meeting people though. Recommend for couples and small groups

Hostel Vana Tom

Tallinn, Estonia

Just about acceptable. Staff dont really care, there is no atmosphere, no chill out area, no fun. But it will do if everything else is full

• 10th Aug 2011
  • Globetrotter

I have travelled the world, I have stayed in many hostels and I have given many reviews on Hostelworld... I have NEVER given 100% before but this place deserves it! The staff are super nice and friendly, even when you arrive at 6am. They have some events every evening to get the croud interacting. Clean, great location, good kitchen... I really cant find fault! Except one... i wanted to stay another night but they were full!

• 8th Aug 2011

SPB Hostel

St Petersburg, Russia

Pretty nice hostel in a great location. Small place with just two dorms, which I like. Staff were nice and helpful, they let me stay late as I couldnt check in til late.

Ok, so the location isnt ideal (bit dodgy are. And a little more specific directions from the metro would go a long way. Aside for these things this place is top notch!!! So well designed, great friendly staff and a auper place to meet people. One of the best hostels I've seen and believe me I have seen a lot!!!

• 7th Jul 2011

Hong Kong Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Not a bad hostel at all. Great location and the staff are friendly and helpful. Kitchen and free coffee is appreciated since HK is such an expensive place

• 4th Jul 2011

Trippers Carpe Diem

Yangshuo, China

Not really a hostel, more of a guesthouse with one dorm. If you seek peace a quite in lovely surroundings a short walk from the town this place is perfect. The staff are ace! The all learn and remember you name which is a nice touch. Food is good but a little pricey. I came for 3 days... stayed for 6... enough said!

• 23rd Jun 2011

Journey House

Guangzhou, China

Feels more like you are crashing in a mates flat than a hostel... which is a good thing! Finding it can be a bit of an ordeal expecially if you arrive late in the night. Good location near the metro and Kiran, the Nepali owner, is a cool guy who likes to hang out with his guests... recommended!

• 19th Jun 2011
  • Globetrotter

thank you, case you made you're stay comfortable in our hostel and thanks for good comment...hope you all have good time in China

Eighty8 Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Place is a palace... nice pool and pool table. Not really the best place for meeting people as the common area is more of a bar than anything else. The staff are really great here

Spicythai Backpackers

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Not a bad spot. A bit outside the city is the only drawback. Great vibe here, its a bit more like crashing in a mates place than staying in a hostel. First time seeing hostel cooking facilities in a looong time!

ETZzz Hostel Bangkok

Bangkok, Thailand

Great find for a shoestring backpacker! 12 bed dorm is so well laid out it feels like a 4 bed... has the be the cheapest bed in BK. The location is great (2min from metro, 10min from skytrain) lots of cheap food around and within attack and retreat distance from Khao San rd. Great vibe here too. Highly recommended!

Glad to have you here. I like 'within attack and retreat distance from Khao San'. That's really a good one. Anyway, hope to see you again soon. :)

Hotel China Town Inn

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Not a bad place at all...

Rahul Guest House

Varanasi, India

Nice place to stay. Basic room was just that... but it had everything I need. Great value. First place I've stayed in India... I hope everywhere is as good as this.

Golden Sands Hotel Apartments

Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Not a bad hotel for a buget. Location is good, in terms of Dubai anyeay. Staff were ok, Liked the roof pool for an evening swim

Bahaus Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

Great Vibe in this hostel, and in a perfect location. If you are a backpacker and a social person I highly recommend this place. The roof bar is great and Volcano & Tony and great crack. Big thumbs up!

Legends

Rome, Italy

good hostel, great location. The girl on the desk was friendly and helpful. Especially liked the pasta party,,, free dinner and a great way to meet with other people in the hostel. Thumbs up for Legends!

Grand hostel, fine location. Was a little annoyed by having to dress our beds after 7 hours travelling. There was a great atmosphere and fun for young backpackers which brought with it a bit of noise at night. We felt a little old at 26 & 23. They were pretty strict kicking us out at 10am. Maybe not the best place for couples but great for solo or group backpackers.

More like an apartment than a hostel. Perfect for couples, greal location. The girl was friendly and helpful. She gave us a welcome drink on arrival and had lots of suggestions of places to see. I would recommend for couple or small gang but not for solo backpackers

Lette`m Sleep Hostel

Nuremberg, Germany

Nice place in a great location, very close to the train station and to all Old town attractions. Staff were friendly and helpful. Nice atmosphere too although I was only here for a 1 night flying visit so didnt get a chance to chill there too much. No complaints, would recommend

Sleephere

Brussels, Belgium

What kind of a hostel is it where you are given a most welcoming greeting and a free welcome drink? What kind of a hostel is it where your host joins you for breakfast every morning and is really interested in you and your enjoyment of Brussels.... where you come down for a quick breakfast an end up spending two hours there chatting and joking.... where you stay in a typical Belgium home and get to learn from a true local.... where you have a quilt with little teddy bears wearing pajamas on them... where yo

I just saw you feedback on my place. I was so deeply touched by this most beautiful text, and always astonished. I have the feeling to do the normal things to be really hospital, nothing more. Maybe it's because I enjoy your stay as much as you do.... Let's keep in touch. Best regards, Karel