Reviews: calvinyang14

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 31

Milhouse Avenue

Buenos Aires, Argentina

This hostel is huge so it's quite challenging to meet and get to know everyone. The big pluses are the variety of activities daily and its location in the center of the city. One incredible downside is the terrible smell coming from the downstairs communal area. It smells like the Devil's armpit.

Andes Hostel

Santiago, Chile

Really great hostel located in downtown. Walking distance from a lot of landmarks. Just be sure to bring earplugs because the streets can be a bit noisy at night because you'll be cracking the windows open during the hot summers.

The Hostel-Inn Iguazu Falls

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

This place is massive. For the price, it's definitely a steal. The pool makes a nice place to relax after a long day of adventures in the national park. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, contrary to other reviews. My only recommendation for the hostel is to ramp up the WiFi capacity because it clearly can't handle the number of people using it.

Backpackers Sunset

Florianopolis, Brazil

Really great resort-like hostel located near Praia Mole. The staff and amenities were great. My only complaints were the inability to use wifi in rooms and the distance from my room (a hike all the way to the bottom) to the hostel entrance.

I was there for two nights and had a room in the second building. The bathroom did not work both nights there so I had to answer nature's call and take showers in the other building every time. It was quite inconvenient. To make matters worse, the light in the room and the outside hall were broken and never fixed after a complaint was made.

Books Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Really amazing hostel in the Lapa district. The facilities, price of the drinks, breakfast, and even pillows were amazing! The bar even shuts down early to force people into the Lapa district to continue the partying or have an early night's rest.

Thanks Calvin! Good reviews are always welcome, and bad reviews always lead us to improve!

Santa Mix Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Really great, small hostel. It's an intimate environment, which makes you get to know everyone easily. I spent 5 nights in Rio and I spent most of it with the great people here. Some of them even followed me to Sao Paulo. My only complaint would be the location, which isn't the most convenient to walk to and get around.

Wild Rover Backpackers

La Paz, Bolivia

Given the lack of things to do in La Paz, Wild Rovers hostel definitely makes itself a sanctuary for fun. The bar is popping all day long and it's very easy to meet fellow travelers (including plenty of Irish folks). Just be careful to not take too many free shots from the bartenders if you have an early morning the next day!

Pariwana Hostel Cusco

Cusco, Peru

Really amazing hostel. The best one I've stayed in in South America thus far. The in-locker power outlets were amazing and cannot be rivaled. The beds were abnormally large for a hostel as well. And there are plenty of bathrooms and showers given the number of beds in this hostel.

The hostel is in the Miraflores district, which is right near the beach. Great for walks/runs along the beach in the morning and afternoon.

Castle Rock Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

Really great hostel centrally located within walking distance to the Edinburgh Castle and Royal Mile. The facilities were really clean and well maintained by staff. Only recommendation would be to have larger lockers for those who have "real" backpacks.

Hostel Cathedral

Mexico City, Mexico

Hostel was great. Don't read too much into the noise complaints. Like any true backpacker, just bring a set of earplugs with you and you'll be fine. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hostel was secure and centrally located to a lot of landmarks. My only gripe is the need to manually hold down levers to get the faucet and shower to function.

Arenal Hostel Resort

La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Hostel was great and the staff was friendly. Just a few points for improvement: - Ensure there is warm/hot water throughout the day. 80% of my showers were in cold water. - Reading lights are critical. Too many nights and mornings when guests would turn on the room lights to pack or just to read! Other than that, everything was great. Especially the pool bar!

M Montreal

Montreal, Canada

The modern decor and amenities definitely rank pretty high on my list next to Copenhagen's Generator hostel. Although I only stayed for literally 6 hours, I could definitely tell there was a lot to offer including activities. I stayed on a Sunday night and there was an event going on with the guests in the common area. The staff was incredibly helpful. Even went out of their way to ensure I got breakfast well before the opening hours because I had to catch an early morning flight.

Wasn't a real fan of the lack of power outlets and locks for the rooms. Additionally, one suggestion to boost the vibe of the hostel is to have some weekend activities for guests, which I didn't see. On a positive note, the hostel is an extremely prime location within the Vieux Quebec. Right outside is Rue Saint Jean, which is packed with bars, restaurants, and shops. You definitely won't get bored with the happenings around the hostel.

The Palace Hostel

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Culebra International

Culebra, Puerto Rico

Bahaus Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

You walk into the hostel room and you automatically conclude that it's your standard hostel. Then you walk into the bathroom and are completely amazed by the size of the shower and sophisticated toilet seat. The free breakfast is great as well. My only complaint is the lack of A/C. The fans don't do anything on a hot summer day.

Athens Backpackers

Athens, Greece

Really nice hostel. Room was large and had great air condition. Bathroom was a good size as well. It's a plus that the Akropolis is a 5 minute walk away. Also near the metro so that you can save money getting to the hostel from the airport.

Youth Hostel Anna

Santorini, Greece

Great hostel near Perissa Beach. It's quite a ways from Fira and Oia so be prepared to take a lot of bus rides or a day tour. The hostel room was quite well air conditioned, but I heard that other rooms did not get the same treatment.

Paraga Beach Hostel

Mykonos, Greece

Amazing pool and bar overlooking Paraga Beach. If you get bored, you can just take a walk or short ATV ride to Paradise Beach. Although, this hostel is bumping 24/7. The rooms aka huts don't have any A/C and I don't recall anyone having the fan work so be prepared for some heat during your siestas. Better to just pack a raft and sleep on the pool.

Hostel Oki Doki

Warsaw, Poland

Although, I only stayed here for a few hours because I was in-transit to another country, I can tell that the hostel was really nice and had a great vibe to it. However, my one complaint is that the rooms do not have any A/C or fan so it can get really hot during the summers. I slept on the top bunk near the ceiling, which was excruciatingly painful.

Carpe Noctem

Budapest, Hungary

By far one of the best hostels I've stayed in. It's quite small, which allows you to get to know everyone, including the staff, intimately. There are activities set up every day so you will never get bored. The hostel also teams up with sister hostels for massive parties. The walk up and down the stairs also made for a great workout because gawd knew I needed it.

Definitely not a party hostel because it's located in the Old Town and next to residential homes. Highly suggested if you're in need of some downtime after some traveling.

City Backpackers Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

Hostel was just average. Location is a good 5-10 minute walk from the central train station and Old Town (opposite direction). The names of the rooms can be incredibly confusing because they're not in numbers, but rather Swedish names instead. Seriously. If I didn't have a map of the room locations, I'd never find my room. The place is like a maze.

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear you found our hostel only average, but I guess you have stayed at some incredible hostels in your day, which is great! We've worked really hard to make City Backpackers one of the top ten hostels worldwide, compared to other hostels in our size, so of course it's heart braking when a guest is not happy with their stay. But it's hard to please everyone. For instance, we have named our rooms after our favourite islands instead of giving them numbers, because numbers feel so impersonal. (And I do want to promote the islands around Stockholm, they are so beautiful...) The building is over 100 years old, and so we don't have straight corridors, and all the floors look completely different. I think that's part of the charm, but since we realize it can be tricky to find your way around the hostel we've made a map. One guest said it was genius to have the hostel designed like a labyrinth, because it gave him an excuse to talk to the other guests and ask them if they knew where the sauna and the luggage room was! He made friends that way. Anyway, I hope you had a nice time in Stockholm in spite of being disappointed with the hostel, and I hope all your future hostel stays will be as brilliant as the ones in your past! Kindly Lena

Generator Hostel Copenhagen

Copenhagen, Denmark

Thought the hostel was very new and clean. Great common area with full bar and entertainment. The rooms were comfortable and clean as well. However, my room did not have enough lockers to lock stuff up for everyone. It's a good 5 minute walking distance from Nyhavn.

Dear Calvin - thank you for your nice comment. It is with comments like yours we can maintain, improve and develop our product and services, to make sure we meet our guests expectations. Thank you for taking your time to give us your opinion regarding your stay with us, and we hope to see you back in Generator Copenhagen some day.

Goodnight Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

one of the best hostels ive ever stayed in. the complex is small and makes it conducive to getting to know everyone, including the staff. both sofia and alicja made my stay enjoyable because they went out of their way to entertain and help the guests. the free breakfast like pancakes and coffee were definite pluses. the hostel is also very secure with the need to ring the bell to get in. finally, the hostel is conveniently located in the city center, making it accessible to the historic sites

Urbany Hostel Barcelona

Barcelona, Spain

its a really big hostel so its not as intimate. the free breakfast is not great. a metro stop is nearby to make it easy to access to and from attractions. the electronic lockers are really nice and made my stuff secure.

Chicago Getaway Hostel

Chicago, USA

Located in the young area of Lincoln Park. Not exactly a party hostel since it's situated in a residential neighborhood. Within walking distance of great bars and the infamous Weiner's Circle. That means that the pub crawls are amazing and cheap. Great free breakfast and occasional night BBQ.