Reviews: tttx

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 31

The frozen mini bagels served during breakfast were kind of awkward to cut in half and toast; and they seem almost purposefully made to easily get stuck inside machines. Where's the regular bread? Also, there was no hot water to take a shower with at all on Friday night to Saturday morning. Come on and step up your game you $50/night hostel!! Otherwise, everything else was as good as expected.

Best hostel coffee ever! Well worth $100 for a two-night stay (sarcasm).

I hear the ghost of Palmer haunts this place for installing such atrocious bathrooms in his beautiful Victorian home. So don't get too close to that suit of armor on the stairwell!

hahaha ;-).. Thanks for that lovely comment! You mean our Knight Bruce? He actually would love to see you again at Palmers :-).

The Dictionary, Shoreditch

My first impression was that no one was at the front desk. I waited 15 mins outside in subzero weather to check in, and a guy with a german flag on his coat opened the door, nonchalant and unapologetic. Blamed it on the doorbell. I saw this same guy at night as I did at 8am and felt sympathetic. A guy on Saturday was preoccupied with smoking and complaining about morning shifts. All in all, a cool hostel with aloof hipster staff. Saying hi may make you uncool, but will make others feel welcome.

Ack! We are so sorry that you felt that way. That 'too cool for school vibe' is definitely not what we are trying for! I hope that still enjoyed your stay in London :)

Why so inflexible on switching beds? When I asked if I could have a bottom bunk since I'd be staying for 10 nights, the younger guy who works here emphatically said no, impossible, there is absolutely no way that for 10 nights I could get a bottom bunk. I needed to email them about this request first. His over-emphasis that nothing can be done about it had irritated me. Others told me they had to swap beds or change rooms due to their beds being booked later days. Their bed system seems flawed.

Thank you for choosing Destinations hostels during your visit to London, I have now spoken to the staff member mentioned, he said to you that we could not accomidate your request as we did not have a bottom bunk available for the duration of your stay and he thought you would not want to change bed several times, should you wish a bottom bunk in future you must request this in advance, the staff member was not being inflexable as you put it he was being honest as he saw the situation, we are sorry that this has spoiled your stay with us, thank you for your comments.

Adequate hostel that pretends to be a hotel! (The name on the front says "Hotel" and I've overheard the front say 'we don't have rooms, we have beds' to people who asked a few times) Issue with toilet constantly flushing in Room 609. You have to lift the back ceramic cover and jiggle some things to make other things fall in place, to make it stop. (Sorry don't know toilet terminology well.) And: is it necessary to have only styrofoam cups for orange juice during breakfast? This is such a waste.

Cityhostel Berlin

Berlin, Germany

If you fancy large groups of teenagers, you'd come to the right place. Free breakfast room quickly turns into a school cafeteria. Recommended for VERY young travellers. Rooms in the ground floor are dreadful, packed and smelly. Top floor was quiet and clean. It was like night and day.

New Cross Inn Hostel

The breakfast is inconsistent. Stale bread some days, other days it was more fresh. The shower nozzle does not reach the hinge in one bathroom, so the water sprays everywhere when turned on. Funny they have a sign saying to keep it dry.

Astor Museum Inn

Stayed in the dreaded "other building", very bleak place, waved hi to the construction workers standing outside my window ledge when I woke up as they seem to begin work at 8am. The walls are terrible. They smell. They're bare. They smelled like body odor collects on them and sticks, like day-old gym socks. Two posters and spots of dark brown mold on the bathroom ceilings otherwise adorn the walls. Room was overbooked last night, woken up at 1am to switch rooms. But nice hostel staff & location.

The white bed sheet and pillow given to me had matching dried bloodstains on them, wtf.

The hostel staff person at the reception lobby in the morning was preoccupied with playing footsies with her boyfriend/lover, possibly other hostel staff member. I'd made a lucky guess where the nearest coffee shop was, rather than ruin their moment of cuddling! Hostel is a solid good plus environmentally friendly. Hooray!

Watch out for your towel receipt for dear life, hide it, put it in a locked safe, don't let the wind get to it or the perpetually wet bathroom floors destroy it. Don't let your German bunkmate Jan use it as a gum wrapper, else the front staff will NOT reimburse your deposit! I repeat your 1.50 will vanish into thin air. I wish I was warned of this beforehand.

Dear Guest Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you for your disappointment concerning the towels. The receipt that we ask for is a proof of purchase that allows you to receive a refund. Refund and deposit retrieval with a proof of purchase is a common practice amongst all businesses. We kindly ask our guests at the time of the payment to keep their receipt which will entitle them for a refund. We hope that you do not feel you have been unfairly treated as the above is our standard procedure. We also hope it will not hold you back from returning to stay with us! Palmers Lodge Team

Palmers Lodge has an amazing aura about it and only needs few suggestions. 1. The juice machine tastes more like a flavoured water machine. 2. The lack of toilet facilites next to the main downstairs area is dearth. Apparently more are under construction...

Hi Chris! We are very happy that you enjoyed staying with us! The Juice is something we can fix easily, thanks for letting us know. Regarding the toilets as you mentioned, we were refurbishing during January and February. Hope you can come back and see the changes! Cheers Agustin

Yans' Residence

Prague, Czech Republic

Excellent place. The patio on the very top floor is little known and fantastic for the Spring weather!! The eggplant jam during breakfast was also amazing.

Travellers House

Lisbon, Portugal

Managerial staff are like personal consultants; never had experienced something quite like that. Kitchen staff are more controlling of breakfast food than I'm used to. WC is tiny. Lock in left toilet stall was broken. Stylistically, a beautiful place. Good beds.

Adelaide Hostel and Hotel

San Francisco, USA

Italian lady is completely scattered when it comes to room assignments; confused me with some bozo named "Gerard." Front desk also confused bed assignments. Crazy Australian roommate takes it on his own volition to remove my stuff off my bed and throw out because he thought I left and wanted bottom bunk. This was the second time my stuff was moved by bunkmates here, a few days before my brush (which I placed on the pillow) was thrown in the garbage. I believe this could be corrected if bed assignments were

Astor Hyde Park

The location is next to one corner of Hyde Park and that's fun for maybe a day. You're otherwise situated in the midst of rich people homes, hotels, fancy restaurants and foreign embassies. Um, great if that floats your boat but what is there to do... but gawk? The tube station is over a ten minute walk.