Reviews: tttx

Location USA, Gender Male, Age 33

Woodah Hostel, Copenhagen, Denmark
25th Jun 2016

It seems everything is makeshift and made from scratch, which adds to the atmosphere. The outlets on the beds shorted every night I stayed here. Ask for a key when staying here because they have a very early curfew.

22nd Jun 2016

This place has a few minor and major issues: staff cleans everyday but couches/chaise lounge in front are incredibly dirty. Floors are sticky. Plastic chairs and tables are piled up all in one corner on patio area. I am American so am uninhibited to move furniture to use it, but patio needs to be more welcoming since no one else used it but me and there is NO common room anymore except with Translate in morning. Orange/apple juice are served warm in the morning. No free coffee. NO FREE COFFEE!

USA Hostels San Francisco, San Francisco, USA
5.4
13th Mar 2016

I stay at many hostels & this is the most overrated hostel I've been to. Common area is in a dim & narrow basement. Atmosphere is loud, very frat-like. 'Game night' made the entire basement smell like beer. I used their red plastic beer cups for tea because they lock up mugs after hours. I come back to find a guy stole my bed because reception put 5 people in a room of 4. They ran out of mugs, cups, plates, fruit & silverware for breakfast. Stay here if you're 21 & looking for a party hostel

We regret you didn't like your stay with us. Most of our guests really enjoy our atmosphere and large building. The basement you mentioned has a 1000 sf lounge, a commercial kitchen with 8 cooking stations, 600 sf dining area, a 50 seat theatre, a yoga studio, bike storage and a full laundry and reading room. Whilst the hallways may feel a bit narrow to you the building was constructed in 1909 and what's lost in the hallways we hope is made up for in the amount and size of common space. Regarding someone in wrong room..that is very unusual and we'll look into see what happened. Thanks for your comments and we wish you happier travels.

HI San Francisco - City Center, San Francisco, USA
8.0
12th Mar 2016

Atmosphere here is the best of hostels in San Francisco; mezzanine, bar and lobby have beautiful old architecture. Go up Larkin from Market to avoid Tenderloinian shenanigans. Funny that wifi password is 'chinatown'.

Thanks for your review! I don't want to brag but we do have the best atmosphere in town and we're glad you think so too! :) We're located in a bit of town know as 'Little Saigon' to locals and there are tons of cheap and delicious Vietnamese eats nearby. Perhaps we'll change the wifi password to reflect that! ;) Safe travels! Cheers, Kelsey HICC STAFF

HI San Francisco - Downtown, San Francisco, USA
8.0
25th Apr 2015

The shower, the shower, the shower, you have to pull the lining of the faucet for it to come on! Weirest shower ever. And what about the toilet-faucet? My hands didn't smell poopy after washing them. This sink water the same water used to flush the toilet. Needmore places to sit and do wifi!

Downtown Beds, Mexico City, Mexico
25th Feb 2015

I enjoyed my stay. Funny that a hostel is located inside of a ultra fancy hotel. I felt like a peasant on the Titanic! Also - fill up your soap dispensers more often! They're always out.

HI Los Angeles - Santa Monica, Los Angeles, USA
26th Sep 2014

The frozen mini bagels served during breakfast were kind of awkward to cut in half and toast; and they seem almost purposefully made to easily get stuck inside machines. Where's the regular bread? Also, there was no hot water to take a shower with at all on Friday night to Saturday morning. Come on and step up your game you $50/night hostel!! Otherwise, everything else was as good as expected.

HI Los Angeles - Santa Monica, Los Angeles, USA
21st Sep 2013

Best hostel coffee ever! Well worth $100 for a two-night stay (sarcasm).

1st May 2013

I hear the ghost of Palmer haunts this place for installing such atrocious bathrooms in his beautiful Victorian home. So don't get too close to that suit of armor on the stairwell!

hahaha ;-).. Thanks for that lovely comment! You mean our Knight Bruce? He actually would love to see you again at Palmers :-).

16th Jan 2013

My first impression was that no one was at the front desk. I waited 15 mins outside in subzero weather to check in, and a guy with a german flag on his coat opened the door, nonchalant and unapologetic. Blamed it on the doorbell. I saw this same guy at night as I did at 8am and felt sympathetic. A guy on Saturday was preoccupied with smoking and complaining about morning shifts. All in all, a cool hostel with aloof hipster staff. Saying hi may make you uncool, but will make others feel welcome.

Ack! We are so sorry that you felt that way. That 'too cool for school vibe' is definitely not what we are trying for! I hope that still enjoyed your stay in London :)

27th Sep 2012

Why so inflexible on switching beds? When I asked if I could have a bottom bunk since I'd be staying for 10 nights, the younger guy who works here emphatically said no, impossible, there is absolutely no way that for 10 nights I could get a bottom bunk. I needed to email them about this request first. His over-emphasis that nothing can be done about it had irritated me. Others told me they had to swap beds or change rooms due to their beds being booked later days. Their bed system seems flawed.

Thank you for choosing Destinations hostels during your visit to London, I have now spoken to the staff member mentioned, he said to you that we could not accomidate your request as we did not have a bottom bunk available for the duration of your stay and he thought you would not want to change bed several times, should you wish a bottom bunk in future you must request this in advance, the staff member was not being inflexable as you put it he was being honest as he saw the situation, we are sorry that this has spoiled your stay with us, thank you for your comments.

18th Jul 2012

Adequate hostel that pretends to be a hotel! (The name on the front says "Hotel" and I've overheard the front say 'we don't have rooms, we have beds' to people who asked a few times) Issue with toilet constantly flushing in Room 609. You have to lift the back ceramic cover and jiggle some things to make other things fall in place, to make it stop. (Sorry don't know toilet terminology well.) And: is it necessary to have only styrofoam cups for orange juice during breakfast? This is such a waste.

Cityhostel Berlin, Berlin, Germany
12th Jun 2012

If you fancy large groups of teenagers, you'd come to the right place. Free breakfast room quickly turns into a school cafeteria. Recommended for VERY young travellers. Rooms in the ground floor are dreadful, packed and smelly. Top floor was quiet and clean. It was like night and day.

New Cross Inn Hostel, London, England
30th May 2012

The breakfast is inconsistent. Stale bread some days, other days it was more fresh. The shower nozzle does not reach the hinge in one bathroom, so the water sprays everywhere when turned on. Funny they have a sign saying to keep it dry.

Astor Museum Inn, London, England
6.9
20th May 2012

Stayed in the dreaded "other building", very bleak place, waved hi to the construction workers standing outside my window ledge when I woke up as they seem to begin work at 8am. The walls are terrible. They smell. They're bare. They smelled like body odor collects on them and sticks, like day-old gym socks. Two posters and spots of dark brown mold on the bathroom ceilings otherwise adorn the walls. Room was overbooked last night, woken up at 1am to switch rooms. But nice hostel staff & location.

HI Portland - Northwest, Portland, USA
7.4
4th Mar 2012

The white bed sheet and pillow given to me had matching dried bloodstains on them, wtf.

HI Portland Hawthorne, Portland, USA
7.4
3rd Mar 2012

The hostel staff person at the reception lobby in the morning was preoccupied with playing footsies with her boyfriend/lover, possibly other hostel staff member. I'd made a lucky guess where the nearest coffee shop was, rather than ruin their moment of cuddling! Hostel is a solid good plus environmentally friendly. Hooray!

17th Feb 2012

Watch out for your towel receipt for dear life, hide it, put it in a locked safe, don't let the wind get to it or the perpetually wet bathroom floors destroy it. Don't let your German bunkmate Jan use it as a gum wrapper, else the front staff will NOT reimburse your deposit! I repeat your 1.50 will vanish into thin air. I wish I was warned of this beforehand.

Dear Guest Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you for your disappointment concerning the towels. The receipt that we ask for is a proof of purchase that allows you to receive a refund. Refund and deposit retrieval with a proof of purchase is a common practice amongst all businesses. We kindly ask our guests at the time of the payment to keep their receipt which will entitle them for a refund. We hope that you do not feel you have been unfairly treated as the above is our standard procedure. We also hope it will not hold you back from returning to stay with us! Palmers Lodge Team

15th Feb 2012

Palmers Lodge has an amazing aura about it and only needs few suggestions. 1. The juice machine tastes more like a flavoured water machine. 2. The lack of toilet facilites next to the main downstairs area is dearth. Apparently more are under construction...

Hi Chris! We are very happy that you enjoyed staying with us! The Juice is something we can fix easily, thanks for letting us know. Regarding the toilets as you mentioned, we were refurbishing during January and February. Hope you can come back and see the changes! Cheers Agustin

Yans' Residence, Prague, Czech Republic
9.3
28th Mar 2011

Excellent place. The patio on the very top floor is little known and fantastic for the Spring weather!! The eggplant jam during breakfast was also amazing.

Travellers House, Lisbon, Portugal
9.3
6th Mar 2011

Managerial staff are like personal consultants; never had experienced something quite like that. Kitchen staff are more controlling of breakfast food than I'm used to. WC is tiny. Lock in left toilet stall was broken. Stylistically, a beautiful place. Good beds.

Adelaide Hostel and Hotel, San Francisco, USA
6.3
25th Aug 2010

Italian lady is completely scattered when it comes to room assignments; confused me with some bozo named "Gerard." Front desk also confused bed assignments. Crazy Australian roommate takes it on his own volition to remove my stuff off my bed and throw out because he thought I left and wanted bottom bunk. This was the second time my stuff was moved by bunkmates here, a few days before my brush (which I placed on the pillow) was thrown in the garbage. I believe this could be corrected if bed assignments were

Astor Hyde Park, London, England
6.7
1st Jul 2009

The location is next to one corner of Hyde Park and that's fun for maybe a day. You're otherwise situated in the midst of rich people homes, hotels, fancy restaurants and foreign embassies. Um, great if that floats your boat but what is there to do... but gawk? The tube station is over a ten minute walk.