Location: Australia, Gender: Female, Age: 28

Mediterranean Youth Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

A great hostel- good location for the central area (there is plenty of walking in Barcelona in any case!) Staff were always friendly and more than willing to help/answer questions. Rooms/bathrooms were fairly clean and security was good with lockers available in the rooms (I also liked the waterproof wristband keys!) I enjoyed the free walking tour which was recommended by the hostel but didn't get to join the dinners/bar crawls. Overall, I'd definitely recommend this hostel!

• 24th Aug 2015

Antares Hostel

Nice, France

I was looking for a hostel close to the train station and Antares is the perfect location. The hostel was clean and pretty secure and staff were helpful in responding to questions (ie about a laundromat around the corner). There was air conditioning in the room which was great! As for atmosphere, they had some free wine in the common area one night I was there and this was a great way to sit down and mingle with other guests. Overall, I would recommend staying at Antares.

• 14th Aug 2015

Ostello Tramonti

Cinque Terre, Italy

Great stay at Ostello tramonti! Getting to Biassa was no problem thanks to hostel's detailed instructions and shuttle bus is great for getting to/from Riomaggiore (and all 5 terre villages). The hostel itself was clean and secure, and you could have breakfast for 4 euros (though there could be a bit of a backlog here which cut it fine for the shuttle bus). Staff were quite helpful and gave useful info (including re Cinque Terre card which you buy at a train station). Overall, I'd recommend it!

• 12th Aug 2015

Ostello Villa Olmo

Como, Italy

Really enjoyed my stay at Ostello Villa Olmo. The hostel was clean and secure (lockers in rooms). The included breakfast was great, and good prices for drinks/food. Staff were lovely and gave useful info about como, including discounted ticket for the cable car. Also I had arrived on a train at 9am and was able to store my luggage till check in at 4pm. The lock-out (10-4) is no problem because I was out exploring anyway. Only downside was noise from the main road but overall I'd recommend here!

• 10th Aug 2015

Residenza Muropadri

Verona, Italy

A lovely little b&b, great value for money and good location, just across bridge from old town centre (10 minutes' walk). I only saw the host Matteo once when arriving and he was friendly and helpful. It was very hot while I was here so appreciated fans in the bedrooms! All facilities were clean/in good order. Breakfast is basic but gets you started for the day (cereal/croissant and juice/tea/coffee). All in all, it was nice to be in a smaller/boutique place and I would recommend staying here.

• 6th Aug 2015
  • Globetrotter

Yoho hostel is in a great location for walking from station/all over the city. It is secure, clean and has a good atmosphere around the bar area. You can also have a decent breakfast for €3.50. I also liked being able to watch sound of music (played at 8pm each night) and was able to book a discounted tour through the hostel (which also took you to the lovely surrounds of the lakes region). Staff were also helpful as I required a package to be delivered and they were happy to accommodate this.

• 4th Aug 2015

Steffi's Hostel Heidelberg

Heidelberg, Germany

I only stayed one night but found Steffi's hostel to be very good value for money, clean and the staff were friendly. Rooms and bathrooms/toilets were clean and available. The location is a good 15-20 minute walk to the start of the old town and half-hour to the castle but I particularly liked that it was close to the station (5 minutes' walk). Overall, I would recommend this hostel :-)

• 31st Jul 2015

Oporto Sky Hostel

Porto, Portugal

I would recommend staying at Oporto Sky Hostel - it is clean and plenty of facilities (including a well-stocked kitchen and a great entertainment room with DVDs and games) as well as an included breakfast. One minor complaint would be that it wasn't as centrally located as we thought- a good 15-12 minute walk from the central area of Porto, and the Redex bus station - but this wasn't a major problem (just good to be aware of). Overall, a good hostel, and definitely value for money.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Goodnight Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

I definitely recommend staying at Goodnight Lisbon Hostel! The rooms and common areas are kept very clean, and the location is wonderfully central (without being noisy). The staff were also a real highlight, and we had some fantastic recommendations for places to eat/drink/see by Joana (thank you!!) The included breakfast is also a plus, and there are plenty of deals like sangria happy hour to be enjoyed in the common room :) A great hostel!

• 21st Aug 2014

Le Penguin Hostel

Faro, Portugal

I highly recommend Le Penguin - a very clean hostel and easy to find, only a 10-15 minute walk from the bus station and main town centre/marina. The staff were also really lovely, especially offering a 5 euro tapas meal when we arrived and through this we met other travellers and enjoyed some beers together. It wasn't super busy, but a nice and relaxed atmosphere. Another great little bonus was the included breakfast :)

• 19th Aug 2014

City Backpackers Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

A great hostel all round- cleanliness and security were fantastic and the place had great decor/atmosphere, especially around the common area, and also had helpful staff. Location was ideal - a 10-15 minute walk to the old town and perfect for getting to an early shuttle bus to the airport. I would definitely recommend it and would stay again if returning to Stockholm!

• 7th Mar 2014

Sophie's Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

Miss Sophie's is a great hostel, with modern and clean rooms which are very secure. Staff were helpful and friendly when approached. Location is quite good, a 10 minute walk to the old square and main sights. The 5 bed female dorm is spacious, and has a little kitchenette with a fridge and sink. Room was warm in the middle of summer, but there was a fan to help this. Overall, a great stay and I would recommend it.

• 26th Jul 2013

Hostel Miran

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Miran and his family are so hospitable and happy to help. The hostel itself is connected to their family home, and it is clean and comfortable, with air conditioning in bedrooms. I also wished I could have stayed longer to take Miran's day-long tour, but I was limited with time and only had 1 night. Was a little confused finding it from the bus stop, but assume the "first right" means the first laneway on your right after the petrol station! A very pleasant stay at Hostel Miran, I recommend it.

• 12th Jul 2013

4U Hostel

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Good location, within easy walking distance from old town. Also great value for money and the owner was helpful with information on trains and buses leaving Sarajevo. A very small and basic hostel, but clean. Main complaint would be that the room and surrounding building smelt of cigarette smoke which got through my clothes and I also had to wait around when i first arrived (but this was mainly because I arrived by bus a bit earlier than planned). Overall, a good hostel.

• 11th Jul 2013

Madness Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

Madness Hostel is in a great location and the staff were both helpful and welcoming. In fact, the tips from the owner led me on my own great walking tour, exploring the city of Belgrade on foot. He also was helpful with advice on travelling to Sarajevo (taking a mini-van winstead of the public bus, which was quicker and hardly cost any more) and he organised this for me. Rooms and shared bathroom were clean. Really no complaints about this hostel, I would recommend staying there.

• 10th Jul 2013

Carpe Noctem Vitae

Budapest, Hungary

A hostel with a great atmosphere and very helpful staff, who gave great recommendations for places to see and eat, and some kind of bar/going out activity organised every night (the boat party was awesome!) Location in the jewish quarter is also great for getting around the city. Everything was quite clean, only downside was the showers were a very tight fit and hot water was not available around midday. Otherwise, highly recommend this hostel!

• 11th May 2012
  • Globetrotter

A very clean and comfortable hostel, and hassle-free which was exactly what I was looking for. New facilities are great, especially bunk beds with curtains for privacy. Staff were good, though I only dealt with them when checking in and out. Hostel had a good atmosphere, breakfast was a good socialising time, but otherwise I didn't spend any time in the bar (I was out and about in Paris!) Location not too bad, close metro station Crimee meant that it was easy to get to the city centre.

• 5th Oct 2010

Hostel D&D

Split, Croatia

A recently renovated and clean room. Location was good, very close to the Palace and all the bars, restaurants and shops, though also close to the bell tower which was a bit loud at night. A bit confusing on arrival- we had to call and were then taken to a different location to what was listed on our booking. It was a shared appartment set-up, but we hardly saw any other guests.

• 11th Sep 2010

Marco Sea view Accommodation

Ulcinj, Montenegro

A new room, clean and quite spacious (though it was a different place to the actual booking we made). Helpful owner who picked us up from the town once we had called and gave us information about getting around the town, including showing us the shortcut to the beach. A kitchen and fridge were available to use. There weren't many other guests at the time we stayed so it was pretty quiet, but a very comfortable place to stay.

• 8th Sep 2010

Maltezos Hotel Corfu

Corfu, Greece

A clean and good-sized room. Good location for Gouvia beach and restaurants. A 20-25 euro taxi fare from the airport and to Corfu town, there was also a bus but we didn't use it. Buffet breakfast was included, and there was a bar and sitting area on the verandah which had a nice relaxed atmosphere but was a bit wet from the rain while we were there.

• 2nd Sep 2010

Villa Vasilis

Mykonos, Greece

A great guesthouse, clean and a fairly spacious room for 3 people. Very friendly staff who dropped us back to the port when leaving, though arrival was a bit complicated- we found our own shuttle bus to take us to the rooms, but there was no reception and we had to call to check-in. The owner came as soon as we called, it was just a bit confusing at first. Good location between the town and the beaches, when we didn't have quad bikes, it was easy to get the bus every half hour.

• 27th Aug 2010

Zorbas Hotel

Athens, Greece

A good, clean hostel with very friendly and helpful staff, who were good to recommend how to book ferries for the islands and answer any questions we had about transport around Athens. Air-conditioned room was very good in the summer! Location was good, although we had a long walk because Victoria metro station was closed at the time we were there for track work. Good atmosphere with a bar/common room downstairs and free internet.

• 25th Aug 2010

ANZAC House

Canakkale, Turkey

Good, clean hostel in a great location from the ferry from Eceabat/Gallipoli- literally across the road. Staff were friendly and helpful. We didn't book any tours through them for Gallipoli or Troy as we had organised these from Istanbul, but they seem to be very helpful with booking tours like this. Very hot in August in a room with no windows or fan, so we requested a fan for the second night and this was much better. Overall a good hostel for a very reasonable price.

• 20th Aug 2010