Location USA, Gender Male, Age 29

Island Guesthouse, Jeju Island, South Korea
5.7
22nd Aug 2016

I was expecting charm, instead it's in the middle of nowhere but also without nature / outdoor facilities. Very limited food options around. Staff, while extremely friendly, is also very demanding with so, so many rules about any and everything. It feels a lot more like a tight ship than a relaxing retreat. Buses to other places would be good if they were on time, but they're usually not, so you end up waiting around the bus stops a lot. Good a/c in the rooms. Loud vacuuming at like 8am tho.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, I would like to remind you that we are a small guesthouse, not a hotel so that is why there are rules. Also we are located in Seogwipo area so you can reach waterfalls, cliff, beaches, green tea farm in 15 minutes by bus. There are many restaurant choices just 5 mins away from here by bus. Local restaurants close a bit earlier but this is normal in Jeju. There are 3 grocery stores and chicken delivery is also available. A few rules like close the door whenever you go out is because we are trying to keep out the mosquitoes in summer. Using the dining table instead eating in room is for hygienic reasons. We are trying to provide better environment for guests including yourself. Buses on the island don't run every 5 mins like in the city, that's why we provide the bus schedule and recommend that guests go to bus stop 10 mins earlier. Also, we start cleaning at 10am but not 8am. I was trying to do my best, I'm sorry you didn't feel comfortable. Maybe a hotel would be better for you.

Hongdae Lazy Fox Hostel In Seoul, Seoul, South Korea
17th Aug 2016

Very disappointing; high reviews aren't justified. A/C was not nearly sufficient, so we were all sweating every night. One night the a/c flooded the room with water. It was also only on during sleeping hours, so the hostel is miserable from heat in summer. Basically no shades on windows, so hostel is all up at 6am. Staff was often nowhere to be found, and only one of the staff knew anything about Seoul. Staff seem to outnumber guests 2:1 and do not provide any atmosphere... few people to meet.

The Domme, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2.9
22nd Jul 2016

This hostel *might* have been OK, but there was a guest there that ruined it for everyone. Rather than kick him out right away so that everyone else could have an OK stay, the staff argued with him loudly throughout every night until they finally kicked him out on day 3, after he'd threatened us all and made the hostel entirely unsleepable and unbearable. Staff needed to kick him out minute 1. Horrible stay.

Dear Valued Guest, We really appreciate that your chose our hostel for your recent stay and we are committed to provide the best possible stay for all our guests. However your experience seem to differ with majority of the other guest. Upon further investigation into the incident, we found that the incident of your verbal argument happened with another guest, when you changed the air conditioning temperature to 18C in the shared dorm and turned off all lights of even the passages without any prior approval from management. Please note the hostel has centralized AC and when you change the temperature without approval, it affect all the other dorms and the guests which was well explained to you by the manager. We don’t discriminate between any guests, and since your actions caused inconvenience to other guest, it’s our responsibility to provide the other guest with a verbal warning. The manager followed the protocol and issued two warnings to the mentioned guest before eviction as a fair policy. Also, we tried our best by even accommodating you in the alternate dorm for the night, so that your sleep wouldn’t be disturbed and you enjoy the stay at the hostel. We deeply regret that the incident occurred and we will continue to ensure all our guest enjoy their stay at the hostel.

Fat Cat Backpackers, Kampala, Uganda
5th Jan 2016

Pretty great. Location is a bit out of the way but in a very nice area to be in. Very friendly staff. Not many people staying there when I was there.

Zostel Jaipur Hostel, Jaipur, India
1st Jan 2016

Really exactly what a hostel should be. Great location, cleanliness, staff, etc.

Joey's Hostel, New Delhi, India
28th Dec 2015

Totally adequate while also wholly unspectacular. Atmosphere was more 'hang-out' than 'go-out'. Quite clean and super laid back / flexible. I would stay again.

Santiago Hostal, Santiago, Chile
6th Nov 2015

Really great hostel in a perfect location. Had some trouble finding staff and there seemed to be very few other people at the hostel to meet. Big beds and very clean.

Square Independencia Hostel, Mendoza, Argentina
5th Nov 2015

There's not much you can do in Mendoza, but this hostel feels like it's the epicenter of it. Well done.

Portal del Sur, Buenos Aires, Argentina
2nd Nov 2015

Pretty solid place. Interesting, unique building. The rooms were a bit overcrowded and without enough outlets, but it was fine overall.

Ukelele Hostel, Montevideo, Uruguay
1st Nov 2015

Just 1 night here, but it was a nice place. Building was cool and had nice atmosphere, but the guests didn't. I think it advertises a pool and it was closed? Location was a bit more out of the way than I'd like. Internet was pretty good, which was pivotal for me at the time.

Base St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia
4.9
2nd Jan 2015

How has no one mentioned the mandatory 10AM daily wakeup?!? At 10am: #1: There is a loud announcement in all rooms of the whole building (yes there are speakers in the bedrooms). #2: 3 maids come in the room, talking loudly. They then do things like vacuuming, throwing the mattresses all around (including a few centimeters from your head), etc. They stay for 30+ min. And more, but I'm out of room. It's insane. Besides the 10am wakeup, it's a fun hostel, but very UK centric.

G'day there! Thank you for leaving us a review. This is the first time we've heard this type of feedback but we will be bringing it forward at our next managers meeting - especially regarding the Cleaning Staff noise. We don't make announcements before 10am and after 9pm to ensure that people do not get disturbed however we have received compliments before as it gets people up and exploring our beautiful city and beaches. Best wishes & safe travels, BASE MANAGEMENT

Asylum Sydney, Sydney, Australia
27th Dec 2014

I had a pretty great stay here. Awesome crowd, great times. That said, while staff is great on the whole, there were a few issues... there was no all-hostel communication, so we had no idea about an all-hostel BBQ or New Year's plans (which they said they were running), etc. The employees other than the owner are totally lost, they put me in the wrong room for example. Finally, the staff, while super nice, are quite old, weird, and don't really fit in, but they hang out and its a bit awkward.

Bunk Brisbane, Brisbane, Australia
25th Dec 2014

No A/C! They promised it, and there was none. I couldn't sleep & I'm asking for a refund. When I brought it up, the staff goes, 'oh you're in the jungle block? Yeah, the a/c doesn't get there. those rooms are miserable.' So I definitely recommend avoiding the 'jungle block' at all costs. Besides that, it is a fine, so-so place. Almost all long-termers. They oversell their parties, but they're a good time, just not nearly as good as they pretend. There's 1 staff everyone avoids cause he sucks.

Astor Hyde Park, London, England
18th Mar 2013

Pretty decent hostel, great staff, weird social dynamic. Each day I was there, there was a huge crown in the common room... half-asleep, never talking or even looking at each other. My room had some nice people though, and there was a party the first night that looked fun but I was too tired to participate in. The big negative is that the plumbing sounds like a tsunami descended on your room. Woke me up throughout each night, so I was very happy to leave just for that reason.

Abraham Hostel Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
12th Mar 2013

First, Abraham needs to improve their directions. Add many more details and have them written by someone who isn't a local. It's a great hostel set-up, like the Wombats group in Germany, but it attracts a huge-group, older crowd. Over 75% were over 60 years old while I was there. This got a little bit better on weekends. Staff seemed awesome, but was detached, so it wasn't really possible to hang with them, which was a bummer.

5.4
8th Mar 2013

So-so hostel... I'm shocked it has such high ratings. I feel like a lot of people rating it don't have much to compare it to... Saying it has 'lockers' is a joke, as they're so small my iPad didn't fit. That said, the crowd is good, and fun, and parties.

1st Dec 2012

I really enjoyed this hostel. Amazing staff! They were incredible. Not sure if it's a 'party hostel', but we certainly had no problem making a party of it. Very social place. Pool and hot tub were broken which sucked a bit. The tents totally suck though... And they messed up our booking and put two of us in a tent when we'd booked two separate ones originally. So that was a bummer. I think they made up for it somehow though. Didn't love the location.

Canadiana Backpackers Inn, Toronto, Canada
16th Nov 2011

What hostel only provides directions from the airport that cost $23.95??? We're BUDGET travelers Canadiana. I was able to get there in about 1hr for $2.50... This needs to be fixed. Besides that it is a solid hostel. Good location. Very social but not ultra fun hostel, if that makes sense. Lots of people around but not that partyish/funish. Hostel tried to kick people out of the common room at 11:30pm, which was annoying, with a drunk staff member screaming at everyone.

Hostel Ruthensteiner Vienna, Vienna, Austria
10th Nov 2011

Good, solid hostel. Not that fun and not a great location, but a fine place to stay. About a 20-30 min walk to city center.

9th Nov 2011

I really enjoyed this hostel. Had one of the best atmospheres/party scenes which was really impressive considering Salzburg isn't particularly fun. Nice map with a self guided walking tour pre mapped out which was nice. Only annoyance was that they haven't updated their directions from the train station to account for the construction which gets in the way.

Wombats City Hostel Munich, Munich, Germany
7th Nov 2011

Very large hostel, would probably be a ton of fun in season. Their bar didn't really have a great scene while I was there... kinda empty and cliquey. From what I hear, this is the worst of the wombats hostels, although its still fine and a decent time.

Bahaus Guesthouse Hostel, Istanbul, Turkey
5th Nov 2011

1 BIG Complaint: How can your only directions from the airport be a private shuttle that has to be arranged ahead of time?!?! Many people don't plan in advance, and many do not want to spend that money. I got in using public transit for $3 (v. $25) and came back with a shared shuttle (the hostel uses this!) for $5. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this hostel. Great location, really awesome staff, responsible w their recommendations for tours etc.

Nomad Cave Hostel, Goreme, Turkey
4th Nov 2011

It's an ultra small city, but still the directions to get to the hostel could really do with improving. Hostel reception opens at about 8am, something to keep in mind if your coming in by bus. Great atmosphere, really nice staff, although they seemed to think they were doing me a favor by giving me breakfast for free, while it is included in the hostelworld description.

Guzel Izmir Oteli, Izmir, Turkey
1st Nov 2011

It's a hotel really, not a hostel... you'll get a private room. Served it's purpose for me exactly... great location by the train station and a fine place to spend the night before going elsewhere.

Thank u. Hope 2 see u again @guzelizmirhotel

Pension Souika, Chefchaouen, Morocco
30th Oct 2011

Solid place. Funny atmosphere, with a ton of stoners sleeping for ultra cheap on the roof. I enjoyed it. Excellent location.

Funky Fes, Fez, Morocco
28th Oct 2011

Pretty solid place, recommended. Fun crowd, good dinner (wish drinks had been cheaper though... they're about Morocco prices). I had trouble getting to it, but its also Fes which is an ultra confusing place. If they can make their directions better though, that'd be helpful. Computer bugs stopped me from checking in for about an hr and they were unable/unwilling to just give me a key so i could put my stuff somewhere.

Riad Fantasia, Marrakech, Morocco
5.3
26th Oct 2011

I wouldn't stay here again. Directions were bad (no instructions from airport, walking directions are not very specific and assume we know the layout of the main square). VERY FAR FROM FUN. Lights were out in the common area at 8:30 pm!! Most of the staff doesn't speak English, and doesn't know how to get places, which is a pain. It's clean and has good character. There are places w better locations too, although its fine.

City Hostel Seattle, Seattle, USA
6th May 2011

In some ways more hotel and less hostel, it is a quirky, pleasant place to stay but not that much fun. Hot tub closes at midnight and the common area was pretty bare most of the time.

Samesun Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada
4th May 2011

Lots of long-termers plus the bar being open to the public made it not very conducive to meeting people. But if you do meet people, its definitely a fun place to party. I would probably look elsewhere next time but it's a very solid hostel. Excellent staff, especially the bearded guy whose name I forgot to get.

That was our resident Sasquatch. We call him Noodles. Thanks for the kind words. We do think we are a very social hostel; on busy nights though it could be hard to actually meet people. Especially if the Beaver is crazy and the Canucks are on. Cheers Pete Assistant Manager

3rd May 2011

Barely spent anytime here, but staff was very helpful and it seemed like it'd be a good place to stay.

2nd Oct 2010

Solid, unspectacular place.

Thank you so much for your stay and comment. Since our simple decoration made you think so, we will think to change it better. Hope you will stay here again and then feel better and warmer atmosphere !

IchiEnSou, Kyoto, Japan
29th Sep 2010

Great place. Small but very social, the hosts/owners/not-long-ago backpackers were awesome!! They are so dedicated to the place it's great.

Khaosan Tokyo Ninja, Tokyo, Japan
9.0
27th Sep 2010

Very solid place. Wish it was a little more fun though... people didn't hang out that much.

22nd Sep 2010

Very good hostel, especially for the price and being in China. Excellent location.

India House Backpackers Hostel, New Orleans, USA
14th Aug 2009

Lots of fun, great place to stay.

Langholmens Vandrarhem STF/HI, Stockholm, Sweden
27th Nov 2007

bad location, no fun

Langholmens Vandrarhem STF/HI, Stockholm, Sweden
5.7
26th Nov 2007

Borrrring hostel in a bad location. You live in a museum, which i weird, cause there's always people outside your door taking pictures and stuff, and its weird to go out to shower and stuff. more like a hotel than anything, and pretty clean and nice.

City Backpackers Hostel, Stockholm, Sweden
23rd Nov 2007

For me the only two categories that matter are fun and good location, and it passed the test. Not the best hostel in the world, but you could do a whole lot worse, and they have a bunch of computers for internet.

Hostel ELF, Prague, Czech Republic
19th Nov 2007

I got in to Prague at 1 am thanks to a delayed plane, and got to Florenc, which is the closest landmark mentioned in their directions. I called up the hostel (twice) and the night staff member either didn't know how to walk from Florenc to the hostel or just didn't give a sh!t enough to give me directions. He goes, "Do you have a map?" And I said no, seeing as I'd just gotten there and IT WAS 1 AM AT NIGHT. He goes, "Then go buy one." and hangs up. Huge jerk, especially considering I was 5 minutes walking away and the hostel HAS MAPS. He could have easily looked at one and told me how to go. I had to take a cab to get there, which was about a 45 second journey (seriously, I was less than a minute away but had no idea how to get there) and had to pay 50 crowns for it (a little over 2 euros). If it had been the US I would have demanded the money from the hostel for the cab ride. Besides this, which really pissed me off, the hostel was pretty awesome. I recommend staying here, but make sure you get directions there if you're arriving after public transit closes as midnight. Location isn't the best, something inside Praha 1 might be a better choice.

Mamas Pension, Mykonos, Greece
4.7
11th Nov 2007

We really wanted to enjoy our stay at Mamas Pension, but it was hard to. First, we were moved from Mamas Pension into apartments in the center of town because of construction. The woman who runs the hostel made a big deal about us not having to pay more, as if she were doing us a favor when we had looked forward to staying on the beach. Then, the window leaked and got our clothes wet, there weren't any bowls in the kitchen, and all the cups and plates were filthy. The woman who runs the hostel is really nice, but the accommodation was much worse than we had hoped for.

Hostel Lozanni, Athens, Greece
9th Nov 2007

Fine hostel, nothing special, nothing wrong

Cinque Terre Holidays, Cinque Terre, Italy
4th Nov 2007

Apartment style, not really a hostel Not bad place to stay

Emerald Fields, Florence, Italy
2nd Nov 2007

Great hostel, kind staff

Emerald Fields, Florence, Italy
1st Nov 2007

Awesome hostel

Ostello di Bergamo, Bergamo, Italy
26th Oct 2007

I didn't stay there, so the only thing I am able to contribute is that they allowed me to cancel my reservation when my flight was cancelled, despite it being last minute. I appreciated it a lot.

Equity Point Gothic, Barcelona, Spain
21st Oct 2007

Best hostel I�ve ever stayed at. Be sure to book online, its cheaper than just showing up.

2.0
8th Oct 2007

They owed me 2 euros throughout my stay, each staff kept leaving each other notes to give it to me, and they never did. How cheap can you be??? Charge 3 euros for sheets, 3 for towels, 4 for internet, and another night if you're 10 minutes late to check-out.

7.3
8th Oct 2007

Not nearly as bad as I expected, they location actually isn't bad, it's right by a huge mall which is very convenient food-wise and a great way to get to know french culture, and its pretty easy to get right into the city. Not the best place (its a hotel not a hostel) and not good to meet people at, but not too bad at all.

Hipotel Paris Belleville, Paris, France
5.3
6th Oct 2007

Okay for a night, but they actually don't have bathrooms. Only stay here if its a last resort or all you need is a bed and NOTHING else.

5th Oct 2007

They always show availability on hostelworld, even when they have one, so they can fill their hostel if they have last second cancellations. They string you along and say you have to wait til each morning to find out if you can stay there an extra day. ONLY STAY HERE IF YOU BOOK EVERY NIGHT ONLINE. Otherwise, they'll screw you.

Snuffel Backpacker Hostel, Bruges, Belgium
9.0
23rd Sep 2007

They try to fit too many beds in each room, but besides that it was pretty solid. The internet isn't free as advertised.