Reviews: joshmjacobson8030

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 27

Astor Hyde Park

Pretty decent hostel, great staff, weird social dynamic. Each day I was there, there was a huge crown in the common room... half-asleep, never talking or even looking at each other. My room had some nice people though, and there was a party the first night that looked fun but I was too tired to participate in. The big negative is that the plumbing sounds like a tsunami descended on your room. Woke me up throughout each night, so I was very happy to leave just for that reason.

Abraham Hostel Jerusalem

Jerusalem, Israel

First, Abraham needs to improve their directions. Add many more details and have them written by someone who isn't a local. It's a great hostel set-up, like the Wombats group in Germany, but it attracts a huge-group, older crowd. Over 75% were over 60 years old while I was there. This got a little bit better on weekends. Staff seemed awesome, but was detached, so it wasn't really possible to hang with them, which was a bummer.

So-so hostel... I'm shocked it has such high ratings. I feel like a lot of people rating it don't have much to compare it to... Saying it has 'lockers' is a joke, as they're so small my iPad didn't fit. That said, the crowd is good, and fun, and parties.

I really enjoyed this hostel. Amazing staff! They were incredible. Not sure if it's a 'party hostel', but we certainly had no problem making a party of it. Very social place. Pool and hot tub were broken which sucked a bit. The tents totally suck though... And they messed up our booking and put two of us in a tent when we'd booked two separate ones originally. So that was a bummer. I think they made up for it somehow though. Didn't love the location.

Canadiana Backpackers Inn

Toronto, Canada

What hostel only provides directions from the airport that cost $23.95??? We're BUDGET travelers Canadiana. I was able to get there in about 1hr for $2.50... This needs to be fixed. Besides that it is a solid hostel. Good location. Very social but not ultra fun hostel, if that makes sense. Lots of people around but not that partyish/funish. Hostel tried to kick people out of the common room at 11:30pm, which was annoying, with a drunk staff member screaming at everyone.

Hostel Ruthensteiner

Vienna, Austria

Good, solid hostel. Not that fun and not a great location, but a fine place to stay. About a 20-30 min walk to city center.

I really enjoyed this hostel. Had one of the best atmospheres/party scenes which was really impressive considering Salzburg isn't particularly fun. Nice map with a self guided walking tour pre mapped out which was nice. Only annoyance was that they haven't updated their directions from the train station to account for the construction which gets in the way.

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

Very large hostel, would probably be a ton of fun in season. Their bar didn't really have a great scene while I was there... kinda empty and cliquey. From what I hear, this is the worst of the wombats hostels, although its still fine and a decent time.

Bahaus Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

1 BIG Complaint: How can your only directions from the airport be a private shuttle that has to be arranged ahead of time?!?! Many people don't plan in advance, and many do not want to spend that money. I got in using public transit for $3 (v. $25) and came back with a shared shuttle (the hostel uses this!) for $5. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this hostel. Great location, really awesome staff, responsible w their recommendations for tours etc.

Nomad Cave Hostel

Goreme, Turkey

It's an ultra small city, but still the directions to get to the hostel could really do with improving. Hostel reception opens at about 8am, something to keep in mind if your coming in by bus. Great atmosphere, really nice staff, although they seemed to think they were doing me a favor by giving me breakfast for free, while it is included in the hostelworld description.

Guzel Izmir Oteli

Izmir, Turkey

It's a hotel really, not a hostel... you'll get a private room. Served it's purpose for me exactly... great location by the train station and a fine place to spend the night before going elsewhere.

Thank u. Hope 2 see u again @guzelizmirhotel

Pension Souika

Chefchaouen, Morocco

Solid place. Funny atmosphere, with a ton of stoners sleeping for ultra cheap on the roof. I enjoyed it. Excellent location.

Funky Fes

Fez, Morocco

Pretty solid place, recommended. Fun crowd, good dinner (wish drinks had been cheaper though... they're about Morocco prices). I had trouble getting to it, but its also Fes which is an ultra confusing place. If they can make their directions better though, that'd be helpful. Computer bugs stopped me from checking in for about an hr and they were unable/unwilling to just give me a key so i could put my stuff somewhere.

Riad Fantasia

Marrakech, Morocco

I wouldn't stay here again. Directions were bad (no instructions from airport, walking directions are not very specific and assume we know the layout of the main square). VERY FAR FROM FUN. Lights were out in the common area at 8:30 pm!! Most of the staff doesn't speak English, and doesn't know how to get places, which is a pain. It's clean and has good character. There are places w better locations too, although its fine.

City Hostel Seattle

Seattle, USA

In some ways more hotel and less hostel, it is a quirky, pleasant place to stay but not that much fun. Hot tub closes at midnight and the common area was pretty bare most of the time.

Lots of long-termers plus the bar being open to the public made it not very conducive to meeting people. But if you do meet people, its definitely a fun place to party. I would probably look elsewhere next time but it's a very solid hostel. Excellent staff, especially the bearded guy whose name I forgot to get.

That was our resident Sasquatch. We call him Noodles. Thanks for the kind words. We do think we are a very social hostel; on busy nights though it could be hard to actually meet people. Especially if the Beaver is crazy and the Canucks are on. Cheers Pete Assistant Manager

Barely spent anytime here, but staff was very helpful and it seemed like it'd be a good place to stay.

Solid, unspectacular place.

Thank you so much for your stay and comment. Since our simple decoration made you think so, we will think to change it better. Hope you will stay here again and then feel better and warmer atmosphere !

IchiEnSou

Kyoto, Japan

Great place. Small but very social, the hosts/owners/not-long-ago backpackers were awesome!! They are so dedicated to the place it's great.

Khaosan Tokyo Ninja

Tokyo, Japan

Very solid place. Wish it was a little more fun though... people didn't hang out that much.

Very good hostel, especially for the price and being in China. Excellent location.

Lots of fun, great place to stay.

Langholmens Vandrarhem STF/HI

bad location, no fun

Langholmens Vandrarhem STF/HI

Stockholm, Sweden

Borrrring hostel in a bad location. You live in a museum, which i weird, cause there's always people outside your door taking pictures and stuff, and its weird to go out to shower and stuff. more like a hotel than anything, and pretty clean and nice.

City Backpackers Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

For me the only two categories that matter are fun and good location, and it passed the test. Not the best hostel in the world, but you could do a whole lot worse, and they have a bunch of computers for internet.

Hostel ELF

Prague, Czech Republic

I got in to Prague at 1 am thanks to a delayed plane, and got to Florenc, which is the closest landmark mentioned in their directions. I called up the hostel (twice) and the night staff member either didn't know how to walk from Florenc to the hostel or just didn't give a sh!t enough to give me directions. He goes, "Do you have a map?" And I said no, seeing as I'd just gotten there and IT WAS 1 AM AT NIGHT. He goes, "Then go buy one." and hangs up. Huge jerk, especially considering I was 5 minutes walking away and the hostel HAS MAPS. He could have easily looked at one and told me how to go. I had to take a cab to get there, which was about a 45 second journey (seriously, I was less than a minute away but had no idea how to get there) and had to pay 50 crowns for it (a little over 2 euros). If it had been the US I would have demanded the money from the hostel for the cab ride. Besides this, which really pissed me off, the hostel was pretty awesome. I recommend staying here, but make sure you get directions there if you're arriving after public transit closes as midnight. Location isn't the best, something inside Praha 1 might be a better choice.

Mamas Pension

Mykonos, Greece

We really wanted to enjoy our stay at Mamas Pension, but it was hard to. First, we were moved from Mamas Pension into apartments in the center of town because of construction. The woman who runs the hostel made a big deal about us not having to pay more, as if she were doing us a favor when we had looked forward to staying on the beach. Then, the window leaked and got our clothes wet, there weren't any bowls in the kitchen, and all the cups and plates were filthy. The woman who runs the hostel is really nice, but the accommodation was much worse than we had hoped for.

Hostel Lozanni

Athens, Greece

Fine hostel, nothing special, nothing wrong

Cinque Terre Holidays

Cinque Terre, Italy

Apartment style, not really a hostel Not bad place to stay

Emerald Fields

Florence, Italy

Great hostel, kind staff

Emerald Fields

Florence, Italy

Awesome hostel

Nuovo Ostello di Bergamo

Bergamo, Italy

I didn't stay there, so the only thing I am able to contribute is that they allowed me to cancel my reservation when my flight was cancelled, despite it being last minute. I appreciated it a lot.

Equity Point Gothic

Barcelona, Spain

Best hostel I´ve ever stayed at. Be sure to book online, its cheaper than just showing up.

Aloha Hostel

Paris, France

They owed me 2 euros throughout my stay, each staff kept leaving each other notes to give it to me, and they never did. How cheap can you be??? Charge 3 euros for sheets, 3 for towels, 4 for internet, and another night if you're 10 minutes late to check-out.

Not nearly as bad as I expected, they location actually isn't bad, it's right by a huge mall which is very convenient food-wise and a great way to get to know french culture, and its pretty easy to get right into the city. Not the best place (its a hotel not a hostel) and not good to meet people at, but not too bad at all.

Hipotel Paris Belleville

Paris, France

Okay for a night, but they actually don't have bathrooms. Only stay here if its a last resort or all you need is a bed and NOTHING else.

They always show availability on hostelworld, even when they have one, so they can fill their hostel if they have last second cancellations. They string you along and say you have to wait til each morning to find out if you can stay there an extra day. ONLY STAY HERE IF YOU BOOK EVERY NIGHT ONLINE. Otherwise, they'll screw you.

Snuffel Backpacker Hostel

Bruges, Belgium

They try to fit too many beds in each room, but besides that it was pretty solid. The internet isn't free as advertised.