Reviews: alexmacfarlane5279

One Way Hostel Sakharov, Yerevan, Armenia
23rd Nov 2016

I only stayed for a night while passing through the city, but it had everything I needed: a decently comfy bed (especially considering it was a bunk bed) and helpful staff who booked me an airport taxi and provided advice re: useful nearby amenities. If I need a hostel for a longer stay in Yerevan, I'd definitely consider returning here. Only downside is the limited number of bathrooms per potential guest numbers.

Hostel Old Lviv, Kutaisi, Georgia
6.9
17th Jul 2016

I think the usual person who runs the hostel was away, so my experience wasn't as great as everyone else's. When I arrived at 1pm, the hostel was locked and no one answered the bell/knocking. I waited, then went into the centre and got in touch with the hostel via email, so I could return several hours later and, after making a phonecall, an old woman let me in. That afternoon, no one could give me the WiFi password. The hostel is very basic, but also very cheap, so you get what you pay for!

World In Batumi, Batumi, Georgia
13th Jul 2016

A standard hostel dorm set-up. My only issues were: (1) A small number of bathrooms for the number of people staying, and (2) without air-conditioning or a fan, the dorm was very hot and stuffy, even with the window open. Overall: good, but not great.

6th Apr 2016

A good hostel with the usual dorms set-up. Really friendly staff, got a driver sorted in advance to collect me from the airport after my 3am landing with no bother, everything was as comfortable as expected. I suspect the small number of toilets and showers would be a problem in high season but in April it was all good. The cute cat occasionally curled up on the sofa was a definite plus. I'd be happy staying here again.

Oxford Backpackers Hostel, Oxford, England
14th Apr 2014

Standard, decent hostel: beds with comfortable mattresses but too short (bunkbeds) with pillows as substantial as a tissue, good clean hot showers, good clean toilets (if very cramped), good communal space. I liked the insistence on silence in/near the rooms after a certain time.

Aviemore Youth Hostel, Aviemore, Scotland
3rd Oct 2013

Great location for hiking and the staff are very helpful. Continues the frustrating tendency of SYHA hostels of not putting plug sockets in the rooms.

Urban Holiday Lofts, Chicago, USA
27th May 2013

Possibly the most spacious hostel I've stayed in: a vast dorm, with sofa and kitchen, and high-ceiling with large windows. Unfortunately the blinds were sparse, and entirely missing by my bed, so I was woken at 5.30am and even with a t-shirt over my head had trouble sleeping after that. The walls and ceiling also let a lot of sound in. But very helpful staff, clean, comfy bed and pillow.

Babushka House, St Petersburg, Russia
5.7
23rd Feb 2012

There was a lot to like about Babushka House: location, cleanliness, comfy mattress, decent facilities. Unfortunately, this was ruined by the tiny, windowless, stuffy dorm with paper-thin walls. I could hear the washing machine, the toilets, the showers, the movies being watched by the night staff and the loud conversations of the night staff, and as a consequence sleep was more of a concept than a reality.

• England, Female, 18-24
Hostel Good Luck, Yaroslavl, Russia
9.0
6th Oct 2011

A simple, comfortable hostel in the centre of Yaroslavl, near the attractions, trolleybuses and minimarts/restaurants. The beds are comfy, the facilities are decent, the staff are very friendly. If you're looking for a cheap and pleasant option in Yaroslavl, this is the place to stay.

• England, Female, 18-24
Godzillas Hostel, Moscow, Russia
3rd Oct 2011

Great hostel to stay in! 20 mins walk from Red Square, very near a metro station and various minimarts and restaurants. Wonderful staff, comfy beds, very good facilities. I would definitely recommend Godzillas to a friend.

• Scotland,
Soul Backpackers Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
29th Apr 2011

Friendly helpful staff, a comfy bed in a clean and non-cramped room, free wifi, free breakfast (at certain times of the year), good showers, close to all the sights, peaceful at night - just what I wanted! Thanks guys!

• Scotland,
9.0
3rd Aug 2010

About the only complaint I can make for this place is that one of the staff replied with saracasm when a friend and I asked for directions to a mosque - apparently we couldn't be helped if we couldn't find it on a certain street, which it is not on at all. Two side-streets and some friendly vendors later, we actually found it. But, that aside, I really enjoyed my stay at Xiangzimen and would definitely return.