Reviews: Helz85

Location: Australia, Age: 28

Location is perfect for all things Santa Monica. Found the beds very short and narrow and rooms had very little space to put your baggage. One staff member was unhappy to store our bags for 4 hours, saying normally they would charge for anything over 2 hours, I've never encountered that in a hostel before. Large school group was annoying but obviously a regular part of HI business. Free comedy comedy night was a great initiative.

• 23rd May 2013

PodShare

Los Angeles, USA

Not your regular hostel! At first we were shocked at the open style of the pods and the intimate nature of the hostel but this is what makes it so special. As there is only space for 10 people you feel like you are part of an exclusive club. The staff are completely awesome and played a big part in making our trip. The beds were comfy

• 21st May 2013

USA Hostels San Francisco

San Francisco, USA

Nice enough hostel, pros: location was good, lots of activities organized. Cons: The pillows were terrible, not enough showers/toilets got # of beds, pancake breakfast was impractical (long queue to make them), no cereal at breakfast. Some staff were quite rude and knew very little about SF, plus they double booked beds in our room a few times during our stay, but most were pretty good.

• 16th May 2013

City Hostel Seattle

Seattle, USA

Really lovely hostel right up the road from Pike Place market and the space needle. Staff were really lovely and helpful. The rooms were funky.

• 14th May 2013

Duo Housing DC

Washington DC, USA

At first it was a bit weird, the check in process, the no shoes, room in the basement, no alcohol after 10pm etc. but we really enjoyed our time here. The beds are not the greatest but not the worst either, the location is quite convenient, the staff are helpful and try to foster a warm environment and the people we met there were really cool. It wasn't the cheapest though so I would appreciate a free breakfast, the burger night was great though. I would recommend this hostel.

• 11th May 2013

Apple Hostels of Philadelphia

Philadelphia, USA

Loved this place, would highly recommend it to anyone coming to Philly. The location and great facilities would be enough to recommend this place but the amazing staff and the awesome events just made for a perfect trip. The dorm rooms were a bit intense at the start but its all good. The location is perfect for all the old city attractions as well as South St/Italian Market and there are so many great restaurants, shops and bars in the area. If you're going to Philly you must stay here.

HI-Niagara Falls Hostel

Niagara Falls, Canada

It was good for a few cheap nights in Niagara and the guy at the desk tried very hard. Parking, printing and computers were free which is nice. The rooms and bathrooms were pretty below average and uncomfortable. It was ~20 min walk to the falls. The area around is COMPLETELY dead, go into the town for any livelihood. Hostel served its purpose and it was great to see the falls.

• 4th May 2013

HI - Boston

Boston, USA

Boston HI is a fantastic hotel, it's beautiful, comfortable and in a great location. The only negative was that there were a lot of school groups and older people in Boston for work, so there was a lot of loud irritating teenagers and people who got up at 6am to shower, which meant no sleeping in and people weren't overly social. I would definitely stay there again, hotel quality facilities, great breakfast and amazing location. Cheap secure car park on Beach St around the corner.

• 30th Apr 2013

Party hostel and filled with Aussies but good fun for a night or 2. Location is convenient, 15 euro cab ride from Gare du Lyon, less from Gare du Nord. Would stay here again.

Nice enough hostel, above a traditional English pub and convenient to Victoria Bus Station. My advice, if you have a lot of luggage, take a cab - its not that close to Victoria station but a cab will cost you less than 10 pounds, particulary because there are a lot of stairs at the station and the hostel.

Pillows & Toast

Singapore, Singapore

Typical Singa hostel, lots of steep stairs, very clean and not a huge number of western backpackers (mostly longer term ppl working in Singas). Breakfast was good and that was certainly the opportunity to meet people. Location was fanastic, 5 minutes from MRT to the front door and 2 minutes walk from Pagoda/Temple. Rooms were comfortable but there were no towels so I ended up having to buy my own from the department store (3 for S$9). Staff were lovely and very helpful. Would stay there again.

Thank you for staying with us. Pillows & Toast is housed within a refurbished conserved shophouse, hence the stairs are actually an important part of our Chinatown heritage.If our guests have problems tackling the stairs, we do have rooms on the ground floor as well. :) Regarding the towels, we have them on rental at S$1.00 each for the entire duration of your stay. Do enquire from reception the next time you're staying with us! :)

Borneo Backpackers

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

NEVER AGAIN! We booked for 3N, they said they only had us down for 2, made us pay the extra night & change rooms. When we went to pick up the key for the final night, they said they thought we were coming the following night & there were no private rooms left, we had to stay in a 10 bed dorm - they said there were only 2 people in it, there was 9!!! The beds had bed bugs and ants, all the breakfast was gone by 8am and there were mostly families with very young children (

G4 Station

Singapore, Singapore

Great location from Little India station, really modern, clean and quite fancy. Beds were comfortable and showers were good. However getting to Little India on the MRT is a pain (3 train changes and lots of walking) so I would advise people to splurge and spend the S$15 or so and take a cab from the airport if they have heavy luggage like I did. Staff were really helpful and nice though and the hostel is very well equipped. I would definitely stay here again. Warning no lifts and lots of stairs.

Dear Helen, Thank you for your review and comments^^ Great advice for future travelers that are going to stay here! There is an airport service too which cost abit lesser than taking a cab. We do hope to see you again and take lots of care~ G4 Station Team

BackHome Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Really lovely hostel, the beds were a good size and the pillows were comfy both of which made for a nice change. Breakfast was basic (coffee/tea and toast) but still a bonus for them to offer it. Showers were also really good, consistent hot water and good pressure. Really modern, comfortable hostel with great staff. I would definitely stay here again and I would highly recommend it to others. Can be a bit of a pain to find if you come in from the bus though, its right at the far end of the road

Ryokan Sansui

Hiroshima, Japan

While I wouldn't classify this a truly old world Japan Ryokan experience it was quite comfortable, had the kimonos, tatami mats and futons etc so for those on a budget who want to give a Ryokan a try I would definitely recommend it. The lady running the hostel was truly lovely and really wanted to help in anyway she could but her english was about as limited as my Japanese so communication was limited. Once you get off the street car, walk straight ahead and turn left at the intersection.

Paris Guesthouse

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

As soon as I arrived I wanted to leave but I stuck it out and it wasn't too bad. Chungking Mansions are not a desirable place to stay but they are cheap and they in a central location. Staff, hostel, facilities etc were nice eenough but the room is very tiny. I think you would have the same experience in any guesthouse in the mansions. Definitely be aware of your surroundings when your downstairs but i felt perfectly safe in the room. Hot water was pretty dodgy though.

Saigon Mini Hotel 5

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

I loved this place! The staff were excellent, the location was perfect and the room was beautiful! This was far and away the nicest place I stayed throughout my 6 week trip through Asia and I have to make special mention of the staff, I got myself into a bit of trouble of my nights in HCM with an over zealous male tourist and the staff really came to my rescue, I could have been in serious trouble if they hadn't been there & this was really reassuring for a girl travelling on her own so thanks!