Location: Belgium, Gender: Male, Age: 32

Hanoi Central Inn

Hanoi, Vietnam

It's a bit of a party hostel with a young crowd, while I was in Hanoi to run an errand, but I have no complaints whatsoever. The staff are amazing and I had a good night's rest.

• 10th Dec 2014

Enjoy Da Lat Hostel

Da Lat, Vietnam

Great location, close to the market. The people who run the place are super friendly and helpful.

• 13th Aug 2014

Hostel Nomads

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

• 20th Mar 2014

Funtastic Danang Hostel

Da Nang, Vietnam

It's a good, modern hostel. The owners and staff are very helpful and can give you good advise about the city.

• 4th Mar 2014

Hop Yen Hotel

Hoi An, Vietnam

My biggest complaint about this hostel are the owner and the staff. The owner (I think) tried to sell me on an overly expensive bus ride to Da Nang, whereas I just wanted to take the public bus. After she had accepted that I wouldn't take her bus she gave me faulty directions to the bus station, waving me of with a cynical 'good luck'. Cleaning staff were also unfriendly. They were staring at me and I felt like they were chasing me out of the hostel half an hour before check out time.

• 3rd Mar 2014

Hue Backpackers Hostel

Hue, Vietnam

In many ways this is a good hostel. However, Wi-Fi was horrible, the style of the hostel is tacky (designed like a generic 'tropical' bar), and the guests are on the trashy side of things. Read: people will drunkenly get it on in the dormitories. :(

• 28th Feb 2014

Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse

Hanoi, Vietnam

Great guesthouse. My only complaint is that it takes a while for the water to heat after you turn on the boiler, and that the volume of hot water you get out of it is limited. So basically you can only take short showers. They're not so short that it's a serious problem, but they're a little shorter than I prefer.

• 21st Feb 2014

Sanya Backpackers

Sanya, China

Amazing hostel. The owner and staff know everyone by name and really care about their guests.

• 12th Feb 2014

Lazy Gaga Hostel

Guangzhou, China

Awesome hostel. I have zero complaints and was very satisfied with the location, staff, and facilities.

• 27th Jan 2014

• 29th Aug 2013

• 22nd Jun 2013

Lapa Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I had a good stay at this hostel. The location is pretty good and people are very nice. My only complaint is that there was mold in the bathrooms, which among other things caused an unpleasant smell. Other than that the facilities were clean though! I'd definitely stay here again.

• 8th Apr 2013

CabanaCopa Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

CabanaCopa is a great hostel with an unbeatable atmosphere. Their breakfast is also pretty nice. I guess the facilities could be a bit cleaner some of the time though. Also, it would be great if they offered filtered water as tap water in Rio is pretty darn awful. I'd definitely stay here again!

We are glad to hear you like our atmosphere and breakfast. Although we clean the house top to bottom twice a day, during party & beach times it can get a little messy, so we need the guests cooperation. We do offer filtered water for free, both in the kitchen and during breakfast. We hope to see you again! Best regards, CabanaCopa staff

The Phoenix

Shanghai, China

• 19th Aug 2012

Seoul Base Camp

Seoul, South Korea

Was very happy with my stay at the hostel. The owners are very hospitable and everything was very clean (would have appreciated a little more privacy in the bathroom I guess—but it comes with the camping theme). The location is also great and it's easy to strike up a conversation with fellow travelers at this hostel. Would definitely stay here again!

• 14th Aug 2012
  • Belgium

It's a good budget hostel. My only complaints are that the Internet is reaaaally slow at night and that the place is a bit too cold (went in February). Was pleased by the heat of the showers though. The location is boring but the subway is close by.

• 9th Feb 2012
  • Belgium

This hostel is located above a nice bar with nice staff. The room was basic and the bathrooms were a let-down. On arrival the toilet room floor was wet (there was a soaked towel). The shower room was dirty and smelled. I showered in the morning right after the cleaning lady gave the shower room a quick sweep but still didn't like it much—particularly, the mat in the shower room looked unhygienic. Also concerning was the condensation on the windows and black spots in the corners of the ceiling.

• 3rd Jan 2012
  • Belgium

Hey! Sorry that the bathrooms weren't up to your standards. We do have a plan to get them all renovated in the quiet season that's coming now. We do clean them at least 5 times a day, but, unfortunately old showers can be mistaken for dirty showers. Happy travels. Old Town Crew

Central Hostel Riga

Riga, Latvia

Overall the hostel was nice. Unlike what is advertised there was no WiFi in our room, however. Inside our room there was a note saying that there was WiFi in most rooms, but I actually think there was no WiFi on our entire floor. Another strange lie is that the description says breakfast is served until noon whereas it is only available until 11am. Also, there was an anti-Ryanair rant related to new taxes hanging on the kitchen wall. I thought this was in bad taste. Minor complaints, though.

• 30th Dec 2011

Apple Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

We really liked staying here. The building has a horrible reputation but we weren't bothered by it at all. True, you have to wait a long time for the elevator but queueing is very orderly. Also true. There's brown people all over. Some people seem to have a problem with that. They should get out more. We really think staying here added to the whole experience! Staff at this hostel were really nice! Bathroom = toilet + showerhead + faucet and is bathroom stall sized. Oh, try Taj Mahal resto!

• 26th Oct 2011

Hong Kong Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

The rooms aren't much to brag about but they are reasonably clean. Staff are friendly and accomodating. Internet is broken a lot though. The DHCP server in their router is very crappy so it helps to set up an IP address manually (if you know how). But it's otherwise slow also. Moreover, it isn't accessible from all rooms. The location of the hostel is really nice! Would stay here again despite my complaints.

• 17th Oct 2011
  • Belgium

The place was okay but a bit boring. Like other YH International hostels it's difficult to meet people here and you get the feeling the place was decorated with large groups of 16 year olds in mind (witness the rarely used airhockey table). The park this hostel is located in struck me as way too artificial at first (I'm European) but it's actually really nice.

• 14th Oct 2011

Geographers' Hostel

Guangzhou, China

I was surprised this hostel only exists since a few months as the place runs really smoothly and very well equiped (they even have hipster bikes for guests!). The place is really nicely decorated and staff are super nice! Finally, it's really to meet and chat to people at this hostel. The location isn't great unless you need to go to the university but it's only a 10 minite walk from the SY metro stop. And you can get a motorbike taxi to take you there if you're feeling lazy (it's very cheap).

• 7th Oct 2011

Star Hostel Tbilisi

Tbilisi, Georgia

The hostel is located at a convenient location in what looks more like a house than a hostel, which actually adds to its charm. Staff is simply amazing. They are really nice people and make excellent breakfast. :). It seems that they expect you to leave your room between 11-13h because that's when the cleaning lady comes by; I was a bit confused by that at first. Maybe the only downside is that the bathroom easily floods when someone takes a shower and isn't careful,(oh well). Would recommend!

• 1st Oct 2011

East Side Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

The hostel offered a good place to sleep and was at a convenient location. There are some downsides though. For instance, Internet was only available via a shared netbook (not WiFi) and people smoked inside the hostel. Also the guy running the place was there 24/7, watching TV, which was not conductive to a fun atmosphere (though I wouldn't fault him personally). As you might have read elsewhere this hostel overbooks and so it might happen that they relocate you to another place. But it's cheap!

• 13th Aug 2011

Zeppelin Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

We were at Zeppelin's for two weeks and we really enjoyed it. It's at a great location and the staff is brilliant! They actually make pancakes one day per week and one of the nights we were even treated to a superb private concert by a staff member's jazz band. :-) Downsides. Noise from the street (esp. if in summer you want the window open at night). You continuously need to press a button to get water in the shower. Breakfast = coffee, toast + butter and jam or nutella, and cornflakes + milk.

• 31st Jul 2011

Thessaloniki Studios Arabas

Thessaloniki, Greece

The hostel is a 40 minute walk from the city center and REALLY difficult to find so make sure you print a detailed map or take a taxi (~6 euros from the bus station). Facilities are primitive (you have to switch on/off the water boiler before and after showering) but clean. The atmosphere in this hostel is good though, perhaps because it's kind of in a remote location and people are too lazy to head for town and so they just sit around and chat. :)

Dixo's Oporto Hostel

Porto, Portugal

This was one of the best hostels I ever stayed in. The staff are just very helpful, the place is really clean, breakfast is good (the bread is delicious), and the bathroom was always really clean. Furthermore, the Internet was fast and reliable, and a spacious locker and a towel were included in the price, which is nice. I would definitely return here!

Star Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

This hostel is on a road that is just a 5-10 minute walk removed from the main shopping street and the city center. I was surprised that we had to take showers in what was really a bathtub but the place was always clean so I'm not complaining. The staff were really, really awesome and I would definitely return!

• 21st May 2011

Nuovo Ostello di Bergamo

Bergamo, Italy

I took the 'day bus' when I noticed that it was still available in the evening. Problem was that it had a different route at night and so I took me the other side of the city. Arriving at the hostel I tried to book the shuttle bus but they wouldn't accept a credit card for this service. As there was no ATM nearby I had to take public transportation. Unfortunately my early bus never showed up. I ended up walking to the city center myself. Good thing I had a map and an hour to spare!

• 7th May 2011

B&Brera

Milan, Italy

The instructions on how to get there included a bus that didn't exist. Finding the building was difficult too as house numbers are often obscured in Milan. The room and bathroom were generally fine but it's unfortunate there is only one shower. Breakfast was horrible. Lastly, it's very unfortunate that I couldn't leave my bags at the hostel on the day I checked out. The owner said he would be away and that B&B's don't offer that service. The lockers at the train station are very expensive.

• 6th May 2011

Menzies Dyce Hotel

Aberdeen, Scotland

I won't surprise anyone when I say this is a hotel and not a hostel. From what I can tell it's reasonably priced, though not necessarily cheaper than other hotels. The location is kind of crappy, being next to the airport (the wrong side of it nonetheless!). There's a bus stop nearby, which will take you to the city center, though service is crappy in the weekend. This is an okay hotel but you probably want to stay some place closer to the city center unless you end up booking very late, like me.

Advantage Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

I loved this hostel for many reasons: It's very cheap, staff is very helpful and friendly, breakfast is good enough (and as much as you can eat), there are big safes in the rooms (bring your lock?), there's free WiFi in most of the building, and I'm even fairly sure they don't charge for using the iron or a towel. The one downside is the location, which is a bit of a walk from the city center—but I think the pluses more than make up for it. I would definitely return.

• 27th Aug 2010
  • Belgium

This hostel is fine. Staff isn't particularly friendly but they aren't rude either. When I went to retrieve something from the luggage room they just gave me the key, which is unfortunate but common practice at hostels. The bathroom was small and the toilet wasn't fixed too well to the floor (!). Breakfast was okay. One thing I adored about this hostel was a beautiful balcony that you could sit at with your laptop. There's WiFi in the rooms. This place is sort of nice but not excellent.

• 25th Jul 2010

Art Roch Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

The facilities in this hostel are nothing to write home about, but everything is really clean all of the time. Also, the location is awesome and the staff are really friendly and helpful (and they don't try to rip you off at all). Don't forget to bring a padlock for the lockers though.

This hostel is confusingly named 'MEININGER Hotel Hamburg City Center' in my opinion. The neighborhood it is in is rather depressing (there seems to be a lot of poverty in Hamburg) and quite far from the more (or less) beautiful city center. Service and cleanliness were excellent though.