Green Suites Hotel 1

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Staff were very friendly at this hotel and helped me book a cab to the airport for a set rate so I knew how much I was paying. The room was comfortable and clean and had a good selection of TV channels. The only downside was that being near the foyer my room was a little noisy in the morning but other than that I thought the hotel was very good value and really close to the backpacker/restaurant streets.

• 8th Feb 2014

One Stop Hostel Siem Reap

Siem Reap, Cambodia

I thought $8 a night for a room with no ensuite bathroom or breakfast included was a bit expensive compared with other hostels in South East Asia (other parts of Cambodia I had better hostels with ensuites for $5 a night, and in Vietnam $8 would include breakfast). Also I booked a female dorm and ended up with a mixed dorm but this wasn't really a problem. The movie area downstairs was nice and gave the place a nice communal feel.

• 5th Feb 2014

Ganesha Family Guesthouse

Battambang, Cambodia

I had a lovely stay at the Ganesha Family Guesthouse. The owners were very friendly and helpful, and gave honest advice about bus companies - I ended up taking a boat instead to Siem Reap - not sure I would do this again since it took 9 hours but if you want the river experience it is nice. The room was very spacious and the mosquito nets around the beds - although they'd need to be open to feel the fans - gave the impression of having your own private space. Nice, relaxed atmosphere.

• 3rd Feb 2014

Me Mates Place

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

The beds here were spacious - almost double bed size - and the lockers were big enough to fit large packs which was handy. Having an ensuite bathroom was good value too. Unfortunately my dorm was infested with bed bugs. Myself and the other traveller sharing my bunk were upgraded to a hotel room next door but I don't think others in our room were so lucky. The bar could have had more going on - had the potential to be a good place to meet other travellers. Staff were friendly and helpful though

• 1st Feb 2014

Saigon Youth Hostel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Small but comfortable and clean. I was not too happy about being on the 6th floor with no lift and the wifi rarely worked upstairs. Also I asked twice for a towel but they kept running out of them, and there is no proper communal area to meet other travellers, but I guess in a hostel this small that would be difficult. The staff, however, were quite helpful. One of the ladies warned me about the thefts in the city and told me to get passport photos for my Cambodia visa, which I hadn't thought of

• 30th Jan 2014

Sunflower Hotel Hoi An

Hoi An, Vietnam

This would have to be my favourite hostel that I stayed in in South East Asia. The outdoor pool was great for relaxing and very refreshing after a hot day of walking and cycling. The buffet breakfast was awesome. Definitely the best value hostel of my trip. My only minor complaint was that there was no soap in the bathrooms and never enough toilet paper. The beds could have used bed lamps and there weren't enough power outlets in our room, but otherwise a very spacious and comfortable stay!!

• 26th Jan 2014

Hue Backpackers Hostel

Hue, Vietnam

Hue Backpackers seems to be the place all the backpackers stay and as such it has a great lively atmosphere where you can meet other travellers (and lethal 2 for 1 cocktails during Happy Hour). The staff all spoke very good English. Only downside was that the breakfast options were a bit boring but otherwise a great place to stay.

• 23rd Jan 2014