• USA, Female, 25-30
Oxente Hostel, Salvador, Brazil
3.7
3rd Jun 2014

This hostel was disappointing. It was "cheap", so my travel mates and I weren't expecting a clean/friendly atmosphere, but it was so bad that we decided to leave after a night even though we lost a large deposit. The rooms were tiny and dirty, and the sheets reeked of must. There were bugs, and the showers and toilets were grimy and disgusting. The owner was hostile and employees rude. We found another hostel for $5 less per night that was much cleaner, so take the time to find something else.

Macgabhainns Backpackers Hostel, Kilkenny, Ireland
8.0
2nd Apr 2010

The staff was very helpful and kind (especially Fergus!). The hostel was great for relaxing and enjoying a quiet vacation. It certainly didn't have a party hostel vibe.

Jacobs Inn, Dublin, Ireland
7.3
31st Mar 2010

The facilities were reminiscent of a hotel. Our stay was very pleasant. I was with my mom, so we weren't looking to party, but I think it could be a great place for meeting others to go out and get your drink on in Dublin. Nice staff and well maintained property.

Itaca Hostel, Barcelona, Spain
9.0
26th Feb 2010

This was a fun hostel. I was only there one day, so I can't give a lot of feedback, but it was a cool atmosphere and the staff was very sweet. The directions to the hostel are a little weak so make sure to get a map before heading there.

Sleep Well Youth Hostel, Brussels, Belgium
5.7
7th Jan 2010

Not a place to go if you want to meet people. The atmosphere was quite disappointing. Additionally, there was a constant stench in the women's restrooms (that's right - all of them) that made me want to hold my breath any time I went in. The staff was hit and miss. Some were amazing (morning staff) while others were constantly in a bad mood.

FIAP Jean Monnet, Paris, France
5.3
2nd Jan 2010

Not the place to go if you want to meet people. It was a bit campy. A friend came to visit and noted that it seemed more like a hospital than a hostel, and I couldn't have agreed more. The breakfast was all carbs and the staff was a bit difficult to approach. The Internet didn't work the entire time we were there as well. It was overall a so-so to negative experience.

Old Prague Hostel, Prague, Czech Republic
9.0
30th Dec 2009

Great atmosphere/scene for getting to know other hostel-goers. Not the best place if you want a lot of sleep. It was fun with lots of social areas (movies, couches, games, cards, etc.). The location was great as it was about 8 minutes from the city center (astronomical clock) and right by a supermarket and lots of bars/restaurants. It's a trek from the castle and Charles Bridge if those sites are important. Ask about the free walking tour and pub crawl!

Hostel Ruthensteiner Vienna, Vienna, Austria
26th Dec 2009

Everything was perfect. The atmosphere was amazing, the staff was friendly and helpful, and we felt safe and secure the entire time. Definitely the best hostel my friend and I have ever stayed in.