Reviews: craigpers9309

Location Australia, Gender Male, Age 59

Hostel Smyle Inn, New Delhi, India
18th Feb 2016

This was my 2nd stay at the Smyle Inn and again a fairly pleasant one. Very clean, comfortable room, though fairly small, bathroom with hot water and the free breakfast is a nice bonus. Unfortunately it seems a perfectly quiet room in the hotel just doesn't exist but for Delhi it wasn't too bad (with my earplugs in, at least). Even so, if I have the misfortune of ever having to return to Delhi in the future this will always be my choice of accommodation.

Hostel Smyle Inn, New Delhi, India
28th Jan 2016

This was my 7th time in Delhi & this was easily the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in there. Great value for the price, though not perfect. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and have bathrooms. In an email to them I asked for a quiet room but on my 1st night the sound of men talking on the street outside plus honking motorbike horns flooded into my room till I went to bed at 1.30am. Thank God for my earplugs! The next day I moved to the newer wing which was quieter but the room had no window

Manor House Backpackers, Dunedin, New Zealand
18th Feb 2015

Very clean, very friendly guy on duty (the Hungarian guy) and very convenient if you're travelling by Naked Bus (it's only a few minutes walk to their bus depot). Also the dorm was nice and spacious and the whole place was quiet at night. The only problem was the wi-fi wasn't working the night I was there. Highly recommended.

Thanks for your nice review.

Sparky's, Invercargill, New Zealand
6.9
17th Feb 2015

When I was first shown to my dorm, a cabin in the backyard, I felt like I was entering a junkyard. This place is pretty messy & rough around the edges. The cabin dorm was very small and cramped & the worst thing was there was no window that could be opened so it was also very hot & stuffy. Despite that, it was easily the friendliest hostel I stayed at in NZ. Internet use is limited so all the guests actually spoke to each other & I had a good time. Also Sparky is a nice guy. Like a share house.

Te Anau Lakefront Backpackers, Te Anau, New Zealand
13th Feb 2015

A really nice hostel in an excellent location, straight across the road from the lake. Very clean, friendly staff, large kitchen/ common room, TV room and free wi-fi. The dorms are in motel-style rooms which open pretty much straight onto a driveway and anyone walking and talking outside can be clearly heard from the dorm but that didn't prove to be a problem and the whole place was quiet after 11pm. The dorm was spacious and the best thing was that there are no bunks. Everyone had single beds.

9th Feb 2015

This is a big, busy hostel with lots of guests. As a solo traveller I found it hard to break the ice

Central Park North, New York, USA
2.0
24th Mar 2013

This hostel has closed down & is now an apartment block. You should have known about this, Hostelworld. They transferred my reservation to the HI Hostel without my consent and only emailed me about it 3 days before I was due to arrive in NYC. From a 4 bed dorm with free breakfast & internet I was now forced to stay in a 12 bed dorm at the HI Hostel with no free breakfast or internet. And I was supposed to pay an extra $81 for this. I didn't like the HI Hostel much at all. Too big & too crowded.

Wanderfalls Guesthouse, Niagara Falls, USA
18th Mar 2013

Great hostel. Small and homely in an old wooden house, very clean, very friendly staff and very easy to meet other travellers. 5 mins walk to a supermarket & cheap restaurants & 20 mins walk to the falls. The only problems are that the dorms are fairly small so it could be a bit cramped when it's full and something other than bland, boring pancakes for breakfast would've been nice. That's being too fussy, though. In general, an excellent hostel. Highly recommended.

13th Mar 2013

An excellent hostel in most regards. Great location right in the heart of downtown, fantastic breakfast, ultra secure and clean, and spacious dorms. Terrible atmosphere, though, thanks to the majority of guests seemingly spending their whole time with their noses buried in their computers or smart phones. If this sounds like you wake up to yourself. Hostels are supposed to be about meeting other travellers & making friends. So put your computer or phone away & talk to people!

6.0
9th Mar 2013

One of the dirtiest, messiest hostels I've ever stayed in but I actually had a good time there thanks to a good, friendly bunch of travellers staying there who actually talked to each other instead of spending their whole time on their computer or smart phone. Inconveniently located in a suburb a long way from downtown but reachable by public transport. More like staying in someone's very messy house than a hostel but friendly vibe and the woman who runs it is lovely.

.......... Thanks for your comments, Yes, it's spring time so we are a little messy, cleaning up for the upcoming season, cleaning and our new set up has been completed as of today, 3/20/13. ... And we apologize for refusing to give you a free ride to downtown Dallas at 4am. That's what cabs are for. Thank you!

8th Mar 2013

I've stayed in literally hundreds of hostels around the world & this one would rate right up the top as one of the best I've ever stayed in. Ultra-clean, spacious dorms with air-con, soft mattress, quiet and relaxed but friendly atmosphere, a great breakfast and the staff, especially Jessie, were lovely. Plus a swimming pool and nice patios outside. If nothing is perfect this hostel comes very close. Unfortunately I was only able to stay there for 1 night. It was worth more.

Craig, thank you so much for the positive feedback! It was our pleasure to host you. If you are ever in Houston again, please pay us a visit! -Jessie guest services supervisor

Freehand Miami, Miami, USA
7.1
11th Feb 2013

I had mixed feelings about this place. The dorms are ultra-modern & spotlessly clean with nice soft mattresses BUT those overlooking the bar are VERY noisy till the bar closes at 2am. I stayed in one on my 1st night & had to take a sleeping pill. On my 2nd night I moved to one on the other side of the building & it was fine. No computers there (a problem if you don't have your own) & the atmosphere was fairly snobby & yuppyish. Also the breakfast is ridiculous. Big 'busy and fairly impersonal.

6.6
9th Feb 2013

Not a bad place but nothing special. More like a motel with a few dorms.The dorms are average but adequate. The guy who runs it is friendly & helpful and it's straight across the road from a supermarket & a few cheap restaurants. Unfortunately I was stuck in a dorm with 3 guys who had the heating on full (in Florida!) and all snored. The next night I paid an extra $20 for a single room & it was really nice. Overall the place was fine but nothing to write home about.

DC Lofty - Convention Center, Washington DC, USA
23rd Jan 2013

Really nice hostel. Small, quiet and relaxed with a friendly vibe. A bit far from the major sights (about 20-30 mins walk) but close to a metro station, small supermarket and shops & restaurants a few blocks away.The only problem was with their 3 computers - either not working, or if they were they were SO slow and often crashed. The shoes-off policy is a bit of a pain but overall I had a really pleasant stay there & I doubt if you could find a nicer hostel in DC. Easy to meet other travellers.

Athens Backpackers, Athens, Greece
15th Jan 2012

Really great hostel. Fantastic location on a quiet side street 2 minutes walk from the metro station and right near the Acropolis, very friendly staff and nice, clean, spacious dorms. I doubt if there could be a better hostel in Athens.

Seoul Walker, Seoul, South Korea
8.7
25th Mar 2011

I stayed in 2 hostels in Seoul & this was easily the best. Homely, quiet, clean & friendly with free internet & satellite TV. Who could ask for more?

Kim's Myungdong Hostel, Seoul, South Korea
24th Mar 2011

Homely, friendly, sociable place & Mr Kim is a really nice guy. Also free internet & an actual bathtub. Now the bad points - very hard to find at first, up a really steep hill, both the single room & 8 bed dorm have no windows so with the light off it's as dark as night all the time & the 10 bed dorm would be like sleeping in the lounge room. No privacy whatsoever. Also, the night I stayed people were in the living room talking till 3 or 4am & the noise carried through the whole place.

San Martin Hostal, Madrid, Spain
7.3
22nd Mar 2011

All I needed from this place was a good night's sleep in a quiet single room before a long flight to South Korea & in that respect it was perfect. No frills but clean, good location & very quiet at night. Understand, though, that this is a pension, not a hostel, so it's not the place for anyone wanting to meet other travellers & have fun. But if your main priority is good sleep in a quiet place it's just right.

Lisboa Central Hostel, Lisbon, Portugal
12th Mar 2011

Fantastic hostel. In 31 years travelling the world on & off I've stayed in hundreds of hostels & this is right up the top with the best of them. Incredibly friendly staff, very clean, relaxed, great free breakfast (as much as you can eat), free internet plus satellite TV. Also some nice little extras like free soup & even a chocolate bar one day. Not a party hostel. Close to perfect.

La Caja Habitada, Seville, Spain
7.7
5th Mar 2011

Excellent hostel. Very modern, clean, friendly staff plus free breakfast & internet. The only drawbacks are that it's not in the best location (about 20 mins walk to the Cathedral, though close to bars & restaurants) & there were very few other guests when I was there so it wasn't much fun. At least that made it nice & quiet & I imagine there'd be more guests in high season. A 'quiet after midnight' policy is another plus. Highly recommended.

CasaBlues, Arcos de la Frontera, Spain
3rd Mar 2011

Excellent place. My rating would've been higher but for the fact that I was the only guest there so the fun aspect was zero. Otherwise, the rooms are beautiful, the views are spectacular and Nick, the English owner, is a nice guy. Total peace and quiet. Highly recommended, especially for couples or anyone wanting a peaceful, relaxing stay in a beautiful historic 'pueblo blanco'.

La Casa Del Sol, Marrakech, Morocco
18th Feb 2011

Excellent place. Small & homely, friendly staff, very clean, easy to meet other travellers & only 5 mins walk from Djemaa el Fna, down a quiet alley among the souks. Nice, spacious dorms & the private rooms are even better.The only problem could be for people who like to sleep early or sleep in in the morning. The noise of everyone talking downstairs does carry through the whole building so earplugs are a must but it's only a minor problem & the place is generally quiet between midnight & 8.30am. Highly rec

Hotel San Francisco, Ronda, Spain
28th Jan 2011

This place deserves a better rating than I'm giving it. It's just that being on my own & being a hotel, not a hostel, the fun aspect was zero. Otherwise a beautiful place. Lovely room, nice staff & super-clean. My only complaint was a noisy machine in a courtyard below my room which came on & off all night but my earplugs blocked it out.

Hostal AB**, Granada, Spain
6.7
25th Jan 2011

The rooms are really nice, the girl on duty in the afternoons and nights is lovely & speaks perfect English and it's close to lots of cheapish bars & restaurants. But I can't believe the reviewer who said it's quiet. He must be deaf! The walls are really thin so you can hear everyone else on your floor, who when I was there, were VERY noisy. Bring earplugs! Also, being a pension, not a hostel, the fun was zero.

7.7
22nd Jan 2011

I wasn't able to stay in the Seneca Hostel 'cause it's closed at the moment. A note on the door there directed me to the Añil Hostel, where I didn't want to stay, but the girl on duty there said I had to. My 1st night there, in a rooftop dorm, was horrible. Freezing cold and only 1 paper-thin blanket for cover so I had to sleep in all my clothes. The next day I paid an extra €13 to upgrade to a single room & it was well worth it. Very nice room. Not a bad place but be sure to avoid a rooftop dorm in wint

HostelOne Puerta Del Sol, Madrid, Spain
6.3
21st Jan 2011

The worst hostel I've stayed at in a long, long time. Small, cramped, crowded and VERY noisy at night. My dorm was nice enough but opened onto the common room. After nearly 2 full days on planes all I wanted was a good sleep so thank God for my earplugs and sleeping pills! Probably fun for under 25s who want to party all night but for anyone who wants a good night's sleep, forget it! I definitely would NOT stay here again.

Aizuya Inn, Tokyo, Japan
24th Feb 2010

Another pleasant stay at the Aizuya. Very clean, peaceful, quiet, friendly staff and great value. Where else in Tokyo can you get a private room for dorm prices? I still don't like having to pay for a shower, though, and the other guests weren't the slightest bit friendly to me so it wasn't exactly a fun time but that can happen sometimes and was certainly no fault of the hostel. Recommended.

Guesthouse Namaste, Kanazawa, Japan
22nd Feb 2010

In 6 & a half weeks in Japan I stayed in some excellent hostels and the Namaste was right up with the best of them. A very modern, super-clean, quiet and peaceful Japanese-style guest house with a fantastically friendly manager, Makoto. I felt more like I was staying in his home than a hostel. And only 7 minutes walk from the train station. Highly recommended.

9.0
9th Feb 2010

Excellent hostel. Ultra-modern, super-clean, very friendly staff and quiet dorms (as long as you don't get stuck with a snorer). Nice pub downstairs, the buffet breakfast is great and only 10 min walk from Kyoto Station. Highly recommended.

Aizuya Inn, Tokyo, Japan
8.7
15th Jan 2010

A really nice hostel. Where else in Tokyo can you get a private room at dorm prices? Very clean, friendly, helpful staff who all speak fluent English and very peaceful and quiet. If you're after a rowdy party hostel this is not the place for you but if you want a peaceful, relaxing stay in Tokyo the Aizuya can't be beaten for the price.The only downsides were having to pay 100 Yen for a 5 minute shower, thin walls in the rooms so you can hear your neighbours and hard pillows so bring earplugs.