Reviews: kwa235877

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 27

Hush Hostel Lounge

Istanbul, Turkey

The building I stayed in (not the main one) was nice, clean, and quiet. Didn't have much interaction with the staff, but they seemed friendly. Biggest advantage of the hostel is that it's only 2 blocks away from the Kadikoy dolmush/bus/ferry/metro hub. Price listed on Hostelworld seemed very fair for the neighborhood.

Astor Queensway

As far as hostels in London Zone 1 go, it wasn't bad. Staff were friendly. 4-bed dorm was tiny and crowded; the place seemed a bit more cramped than the Astor Victoria. Wifi was hit-and-miss. Still, I would consider staying there again.

Having stayed in four different hostels across London, I'd say this is the one I'd be most likely to return to. It's not as far out of the city center as it might look on the map, and the neighborhood is much more representative of where the typical Londoner lives than, say, the area around Victoria Station. (Trees!) It wasn't discounted as much as one might hope for being on the edge of Zone 3 and the credit card/atm/towel surcharges were kind of high, but, then again, it's still London...

Astor Victoria

Sure, it's crowded, but then again it's the middle of the universe - great location in Pimlico and walking distance to Victoria Station, also well served by bus. Wifi was spotty... yet people appeared glued to their smartphones regardless. Like the other Astor I've visited, it attracted a lot of French and other Europeans in loud weekend holiday groups, not so many solo backpackers - but that seems to be the way London is going in the age of the EU, and certainly not the hostel's fault :)

They definitely understood what it means to be a "boutique" hostel. I usually try to offer some constructive criticism when I write these reviews, but I really can't think of anything... Will probably return the next time I pass through Turin!

Hostel Colours

Milan, Italy

Overall a great place to stay. The hostel was almost fully booked in mid-November, which speaks to the need for more hostels in northern Italy! Good location just a block or so from the metro. Nice bar area, even if it felt a little empty at times. Only little complaint is that they were a little stingy about making change and enforced a credit card minimum that I don't remember seeing Hostelworld... but really that's a minor complaint. Would definitely come back.

Athenstyle

Athens, Greece

Overall, a great stay. Rooftop bar was great, rooms were nice. Perfect location. The social atmosphere was dominated by the bus tour groups full of Australian teenagers, but I will nonetheless come back. One little complaint is that the workaway staff didn't seem to have much autonomy - I mean, seriously, you're going to make me wait 10 minutes for a clean breakfast plate when there's a stack of dinner plates behind you? Reception was quite friendly and helpful, though!

It was a great *value* for what I paid. $50 for a single room is an incredible deal for the borough of Manhattan. It's not a traditional backpackers' hostel - there's not really a common area and the only place where I saw other guests was on the front steps - so it might be better for Americans traveling on business. I can see how white people without much NYC experience might see the neighborhood as sketchy, but trust me, it gets a lot worse... Building is very secure. And Linda is great!

Check Inn HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

The main reason to stay on HK Island is location, and this hostel did a great job of accommodating everyone in such a small space. (This is a neighborhood where a studio apartment goes for $3,000US/month, so it's hard to complain about the price!) People weren't particularly social - everyone clattering away on their electronic devices, not as many "backpackers" as you might think - but that may just be the demographic that central Hong Kong attracts and/or bad luck during my visit...

Jalan-Jalan Emas

Melaka, Malaysia

It was a very basic hostel, though I didn't expect anything more for the price I paid. Good location in the middle of Chinatown, great for meeting other travelers. As far as the staff go, Lee was great - though Alan was kind of rude (his parting comment was that I was one of the loudest people he's ever met - come on, how about "we hope you enjoyed your stay?").

Pak-Up Hostel

Krabi, Thailand

It was fine for passing through for a night before a morning flight from KBV - and, if one must visit Krabi Town, it was in a good location near the waterfront, night market, and airport bus stop. As others have noted, there was a lot of noise from a nearby bar. I will probably go back to Glur Hostel the next time I am in the Ao Nang area, though.

2W Cafe & Hostel

Phuket, Thailand

Good hostel, nice Phuket Town location (even if my taxi driver had never heard of it... they really are right by Swensens, per the directions, maybe I was just too hot to think straight...) Probably would have spent more time here and less on Kata in hindsight. Hostel was reasonably comfortable and had a nice cafe. Some drainage issues in the bathroom.

The Explorers Guesthouse and Hostel

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Had a great time at this hostel - seems to attract a very mature and interesting group of travelers. Would be nice if they had more than four cable channels, but that's a minor complaint ;). Would stay here again.

Downtown Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Nice hotel with a great pool. Good location in central Siem Reap. Friendly owner and staff. Would stay here again.

Niras Bankoc Cultural Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

Everything was fine. The location was pretty good - the neighborhood was perhaps not the best for going out and distant from public transport (train, boat), but many of the tourist sites were within walking distance. I didn't find the hostel environment to be as social as some here have suggested - I suppose it's largely hit-and-miss with respect to who checks in on a particular day... At $13 US, the dorm beds were kind of pricey compared to what is available in other parts of Bangkok.

First of all , thank you very much for your recent long stay with us and your comments. We wouldl like to clarify that we are not party hostel but still a great place to meet friends like real travellers and cuture explorers. For the comment regarding the price $13 US or around 400 baht, we kindly confirm that it's avarage for the quality hostel with good service, cleanliness and standard facilites. Hope to welcome you next time in Bangkok!

Comfort Hostel HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Location is the main reason to stay here - it couldn't be easier to get there on arrival and the rest of the city can be easily reached by public transit. Causeway Bay is a vibrant neighborhood where the streets seem to be crowded 24/7 and you can find any amenity you might need. Not a very social hostel, though I met a few interesting people in the little common area. Internet was painfully slow. I will probably stay here again.

Hostel Amigo Suites Downtown

Mexico City, Mexico

Very noisy, especially when loud music playing upstairs. Was quite cold in the first week of January.

Basel Back Pack

Basel, Switzerland

Would probably stay here again. A little far from the train station and in a noisy strip mall/business park, but a good value for being in Switzerland.

Some of the decor was kind of cheesy, but overall I thought that it was a great hostel. Good value for its location.

They combine the facilities of a Holiday Inn with the service quality of a Motel 6 - I arrived to find dirty sheets and had to wait in line forever at reception to get the problem fixed. They had nice TVs in the rooms, but the rooms were far too crowded (and hot, no AC) to do anything but lie in bed. I was also dissapointed about how they did room assignments - it was very weird to be a solo male traveller in a room where the rest of the beds were taken by a group of French teenage(?) girls...

Dear Mr.Albert, thank you for your comment. We apologize for the inconviences you had. Sometimes, epecially if many people arrive at the same time, the reception is a bit busy and you need to wait for a certain time. But we always do our best to be at your service as fast as possible. Why have you been dissapointed about the other persons in the room? To reserve a bed in a dormitory at MEININGER you have to be at least 18 years otherwise you can not check in. So one man in a room with three kind adult girls is not too bad, isn't? Kind regards, Your MEININGER Team

Hostel ROOM Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands

Very happy with this hostel. Nice bar and lounge area. Great location, nice staff, beautiful rooms, nice place to meet people. Only complaint, though minor, is that the shower stalls are too small - you can`t hang a towell anywhere without it getting wet...

Snuffel Backpacker Hostel

Bruges, Belgium

The room was pretty crowded, no real quiet space in the hostel. The 10am checkout and breakfast rush in the hour before was kind of hectic - and there definitely weren't enough bathrooms on the upper floors. But the staff were nice and the price was reasonable for the time of year. So it was pretty average...

Emerald Palace

Florence, Italy

Thought it was kind of strange that they asked me to pay in the middle of my stay and were unable to write a receipt. Seems like the ability to write/print receipts is kind of a basic capability in the tourism industry, especially when you ask for cash payment. Otherwise, staff was friendly and helpful. Hostel was smaller than I expected - only four guestrooms were being used - which made it a little hard to meet people.

Colors

Rome, Italy

Location was a little out of the way. 6 bed rooms were very crowded - it was hard to avoid waking up people when stepping down from a top bunk. Not a lot of common space, though design of the interior of hostel was appealing.

Albergue Juvenil Madrid

Madrid, Spain

Probably the best hostel in Madrid - I'm a repeat customer. The building has a very industrial feel that most people didn't like. However, it is possible to get a decent night's sleep here, and the rooms are fairly spacious. The building is owned by the City of Madrid, and a major part of the clientele seems to be Spanish/EU young people coming to Madrid for serious reasons (not partying) - a refreshing change from other hostels I've stayed at. Perfect location.

Travellers House

Lisbon, Portugal

Definitely felt like party central - obviously, this is a characteristic that appeals differently to different people. Could have just been the new year's crowd, though. Would have been nice if there was a little furniture in the rooms and a bigger, more private bathroom. Nothing was really wrong with the hostel, but probably will go back to Lisbon Lounge the next time I'm in town - they have a much more relaxed vibe IMHO.

Albergue Juvenil Madrid

Madrid, Spain

Soap in the bathrooms would have been nice and the place did have a somewhat sterile feel to it, but otherwise a comfortable and nice hostel. Nightly organized activities were great.

Lisbon Lounge Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

Struck a perfect balance between being too quiet and too loud. Easily the best hostel I've stayed in, although that really isn't saying much...