Reviews: Anicore

Location: Germany, Gender: Female, Age: 26

Khaosan Road Rainbow Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

If you're looking for a small, non-smelly place that offers a bed & a roof over your head at a good location (Kaosan Rd., backpacker paradise), then this is certainly a nice, affordable option. Just be aware that this is exactly what you get - and nothing more. Tiny room, stone-hard mattress, plastic doors, wonky lock, leaking toilet, loud at night, prison cell charm. Staff & Indian restaurant were nice though, wifi was strong on all floors.

Samui Beach Resort

Koh Samui, Thailand

Neither gorgeous nor luxurious, but amazing if you know what you're looking for: A small, quiet, green, clean, comfy resort away from all the partying, located right on Lamai Beach. The small restaurant has a wide selection, although one of the waiters was downright rude & made me feel unwelcome everytime. The street is only five minutes away, offers some small supermarkets & loads of massage places. For the price I expected a softer bed & maybe AC, but that's about the only criticism I have.

98SG

Singapore, Singapore

Would definately stay there again! Softest bed in a budget hostel I had in a while! Free & fast wifi, staff helped with my bags. Aljunied MRT station is 2 minutes away, fast connection to city & airport. Pretty clean, floors are wiped daily, sheets don't smell at all. The little bit of mould between shower tiles isn't the worst I've ever seen. Don't expect a special breakfast though: White bread, jam & instant coffee. Community area is small, but they made the best of the available space.

Lucky Guest House

Agra, India

It serves its purpose well by being affordable, clean & a literal 3-minute-walk from the Taj Mahal. Hot water & wifi appreciated. The rest is not that impressive. A mosquito-infested (no net) room on a busy hallway & an extremely loud fan made sleeping impossible. Also, most of the people sitting at the reception didn't feel responsible for me at all. At least the founder is a nice, welcoming man. I definately wouldn't stay more than one night there, but that's enough for Agra's major sights.

Aakash Hotel

Tiruvannamalai, India

Nobody was aware of my booking when I arrived. After 30 minutes they found a free room for me. Hotel is only a 5-min-walk from the bus station but doesn't have its name in English on any sign. I had to ask a lot of Riksha drivers to point me to it. Arunachaleshwar Temple is about 15 minutes away by foot. Staff was friendly, although barely English speaking. Towels, bedsheets, water and room service are provided. Being right at a main street though, I didn't get a silent minute even in my room.

Lake and Paddy Resort

Alleppey, India

Great staff! They called to confirm my booking (instead of just giving it to someone else, not uncommon), picked me up, answered my questions patently and took food orders for delivery to the hostel. The rooms have fans, a mosquito net and a clean shower - standard, nothing special. The internet connection is good, but wifi is not as strong in some rooms. The most amazing thing is the location! Quiet, surrounded by water, with the most beautiful sunset! The lakeshore serves as a commuity area.

Just a five minutes walk to the beach, good food, big and comfortable outdoor community area - wonderful combination for a summer vacation! The staff members were extremely friendly at any given time. I slept in one of the treehouses, which had a pretty hard mattress, and the pillow cover felt like wrapping paper - but for the price I paid I have no reason to complain at all. The shower in the yard had clean water, it just was a bit hard to catch it unoccupied. ;) Would definately stay again!

Great location for EXPO visitors, just a 10mins walk to Gate 1, from there you can take a ferry to Pudong where the country pavillons are located. Luban metro station (Line 4) is right around the corner, so you also have a nice connection to other sightseeing spots in Shanghai. Unfortunately, the staff messed up our booking (3-bed room) and we had to spend the first night in an 8-bed dorm. Prices were adjusted, though, and they were very friendly and helpful. Good hostel? Yes. Great? No.

It's not my first stay in this hostel and I would stay there again anytime. Not directly located near a metro station, but otherwise nice location and getting a taxi on Shanghai Road is really easy. (Although most drivers won't drive into the small street the hostel is located in, so check out the exact place on a map first.) We felt safe, the rooms were clean and the lobby is a dream. Minus: The electricity supply in the dorms isn't stable, the light and the air con went off a lot at night...

Happy Dragon Hostel

Beijing, China

VERY friendly & helpful staff members, no problems speaking English, helped us wherever they could. Even when we wanted to extend our stay & no rooms were available, we could stay in a sister hotel. (Which was pretty filthy and full of bugs, unfortunately...) We were considering doing the tour to the Great Wall (Mutianyu) ourselves but now we're glad we chose the hostel's offered tour - very well organized, breakfast & lunch included, everything worked flawlessly. Would definately stay again!

• 28th Jul 2010

Dear guest, Thank you so much for choosing our hostel on the hostelworld site. We really hope that you had a great time here, and a great time in Beijing. With now currently being peak tourism season we can only apologise that the hotel we organised for you after your having completed your allocated stay at our hostel proved to be below-par, and will look into said matter. Please accept the apologies of our hostel for your disappointment at that establishment, it proving particularly difficult to secure alternative accommodation at a good/reasonable/sensible price at other locations during this peak season. However, we really hope to see you again. Did you know we now have a forum for our hostel too, from the main website? And Facebook page too? If you've any great pictures or funny stories then please join us there :) With kind regards, from all the staff here at Happy Dragon Hostel, Beijing :]

Happy Dragon Hostel

Beijing, China

Important: Many taxi drivers don't know the adress, always have the phone number with you! About the hostel: On the one hand, the people there messed up some reservations and my room wasn't available when I arrived. (I could sleep in another hotel for the same price.) On the other hand, there's a reason they're overbooked: The place itself is great. - 20mins from the Forbidden City and 5mins from the subway, surrounded by restaurants in a quiet Hutong. Friendly staff, good food, mostly clean.

Dear guest, We're sorry that you had some problem finding our location, although it must be said that some drivers can be reluctant to accept a fare simply owing to their own knowledge of Beijing, and on booking we do show links and a printable map with address in Chinese + phone numbers (as you mentioned). Thankyou for the positive comments, all of our staff really appreciate it when a customer replies to compliment them. We're glad you enjoyed your time here, with regards from Beijing, Happy Dragon Hostel.

Paris Guesthouse

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

10 mins' from the bay, 5 mins from TsimShaTsui Metro Station - a great basis to explore both Kowloon & HK Island. It's easy to find & the dozens of Indians who try to lure you away weren't too much of a bother. The double room had room for nothing more than 2 beds but space is a dear commodity in HK, so for its price it's fine. Clean, didn't smell, warm water 24h. The people were friendly, very helpful, we had free coffee, internet & got a China Visa within less than 48h - thank you.

We took part in a one-day trip to the Three Gorges. Unfortunately, on our way back to the Hostel the agency didn't pick us up and we were left alone by the bus driver in the middle of Wuhan. Except from that, everything went very smoothly and uncomplicated. Thanks for the nice stay in Wuhan.