Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 25

Amsterdam Hostel

San Francisco, USA

Greatest staff in the world. Not the nicest hostel in SF but the people running it more than make up for it.

Guy at reception put off talking to me for all of 15 minutes until I made my presence known in Chinese; made an excuse about not seeing me (sitting right in front of him). Room wasn't ready in spite of clearly marked time (13:00) on my reservation; had to wait *four hours*. Management needs to get procedures together. Deadbolt didn't work. Creative zone nice; area around it not so much. Redeeming factors: The bar and the people working it were spectacular, and the chef has good taste.

Nanjing Time Youth Hostel

Nanjing, China

The main lodge area was a little small but turned out to be great for meeting people: noisy and exciting in the evenings, calm and good for reading during the day. Hostel is right off Changjiang St and five minutes from the subway, so it's easy to get to all of the typical attractions. Staff were friendly, and the place well-kept. Stayed in the loft - got a little chilly at night. I came during an unusual cold snap and the AC wasn't quite enough to cover it. But otherwise very cool digs.

The people running the place are great. Very centrally located - two minutes away from the MRT, the HSR, and the main train and bus stations - but you're also listening to cars rush past at all hours. Hostel was generally clean, but the rooms were concrete-box style, with stained curtains and walls taking away from the atmosphere. No outlets in my room, which was a real bummer, as I couldn't charge things overnight. Convenient for a short trip, maybe not so great for a long stay.

Encore Express Hotel/Hostel

San Francisco, USA

Great place to stay for someone passing through. Room was comfortable and relatively spacious, shared bathrooms were clean beyond expectations. Very cheap considering other properties in the city. Some music floats up from the practice room downstairs, but it's done by whenever you'd typically want to get to bed, and it's not half bad in any case. A bit of a walk from the main stretch of downtown, but well-serviced by public transit. Would stay again.

Stayed here multiple times while searching for an apartment. This is a hybrid hotel-hostel with rooms converted for multiple occupants. Right next to Qianmen; can't beat the location, although food is ridiculously expensive. The rooms are very clean, best I've found in Beijing. Staff was a mixed bag - some extremely kind and helpful, a few that seemed very distracted. The top-story bar is great, if not always hopping with activity. WiFi router drops connections and needs to be replaced.

Cinderella Apartment

Beijing, China

Overall, not a bad experience. Shangdi isn't terribly interesting, but the area has good food and 24-hour markets nearby. Hostel more like a hotel; nothing implicitly enjoyable, but generally comfortable. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and I'd return just to visit them. However, I would *not* rent one of their cheap privates again - these are not the rooms in their pictures. No windows, smell deeply of smoke, unnatural fluorescents. Other rooms looked considerably nicer.

I've now been to both of Mix's hostels, and I must say, he sure knows how to create an atmosphere. All the basics (staff, rooms, etc.) are 100%, best you'll find in Chengdu. Lazybones might be distinguished from the original Mix in that it's, well, for lazier people: it has an eminently laid-back atmosphere, and feels like a place to relax after a long journey. Mix visits his establishments regularly, and cares about both his guests and his staff. I look forward to returning for the New Year!

Second time staying. Staff was amazing, food was great, rooms were clean. Only one major suggestion - it's time to invest in a better Internet connection. It gets very slow during the busier hours, to the point where my browser was freezing up in the middle of important transactions (i.e., buying plane tickets). If anything, though, this is just an indication of how popular this hostel is - and for good reasons.

Nin Hao: Thank you so much for the good review and all of us are so happy to see you again. Sorry about the internet.We will be going to complain with the manager.HeHe!!! Welcome to CLOUDLAND if you are in KUNMING. Best wishes from all of our staff! KUNMING CLOUDLAND YHA

Stunning scenery; more like a bed and breakfast than your standard hostel. It's only a few months old, and is being run by the sweetest couple I've ever met. I stayed there a total of 6 nights; originally it was only 2, but I couldn't help myself. By the end of my time there I felt like part of the family. It's a little out of the way: the bus / taxi will drop you off at the main intersection of Cáicūn Mǎtóu. Follow the road north then the signs to the coast; it's the last on your left.

There was a problem with my booking when I first moved in, so they upgraded me to a nicer room for the night until the other one freed up. Service remained just as excellent through the rest of my stay. Very friendly staff, with great smiles (;D). Food/coffee is cheap and delicious, beer could be cheaper but is still less than bar prices. The hostel seems to attract particularly laid-back, warm people; many great conversations. Cloudland is now my go-to hostel for trips through Kunming.

Dear: How are you ?Are you still in LingCang?Should be busy every day! Thank you very much for good review even we did some problem with your booking when you come in. Welcome back anytime,just when you through KUNMING and enjoy your work in LINGCANG. KUNMING CLOUDLAND YHA

Dreams Travel Hostel

Beijing, China

Overall quite good. The staff was extremely friendly, and the atmosphere was laid-back - especially the restaurant area, which was brilliantly set up. Reasonably cheap food, especially for items which are traditionally overpriced in Chinese hostels - i.e. 16¥ for a latte. Some suggestions: 10 person dorm should have lockers for everybody. Brighter lighting in bathrooms and showers would improve the mood a lot. And the dorms need replaceable sheets and pillowcases. Would stay again.

Sanlitun Youth Hostel

Beijing, China

Great service for a large hostel! Dealing with check-in / extending reservation very straightforward. Location is ideal for foreigners on a short or first-time stint in Beijing: immediate area has a good amount of local flavor, but still quite close to a variety of expat comforts for the less starry-eyed travelers. Dorms are probably the cleanest I've seen in China.

Thank you very much for the great comments, we really hope that you enjoyed your time in Beijing, see you next time. Regards

My time at Mix was, in a word, perfect - I staid for two weeks and didn\'t have a dull moment. The staff is extremely friendly and willing to go out of their way to help you with any sort of issue. (A special thanks to Chandler and Ray: Chandler, for hours of conversation and some of the best coffee I\'ve had in China - saved me from many a potentially 无聊 moment - and Ray, for the (off-duty) lessons in Sichuanese and help with figuring out a last-minute trip to Leshan and Emeishan.) ൮